PDA

View Full Version : What Hammock for a side sleeper?

FireFlyburns
02-19-2010, 22:47
I'm making the big switch to hammocks! but there are sooo many brands and models. Is any one here a Side Sleeper who can recommend a brand/model?

lori
02-19-2010, 22:56
I'm a flip-floppin, rollin' around side sleeper who likes a Blackbird.

Welcome to the board!

pgibson
02-19-2010, 22:59
Almost 100% side sleeper, BB all the way. :D Welcome to hanging well almost any way

Knotty
02-20-2010, 00:38
I think most of the wider hammocks can accommodate side sleepers. I do it in my Hennessy and in my home made gathered end hammock. Can't really do it in my Speer.

Beast 71
02-20-2010, 00:48
I'm a side sleeper on a bed but, in a hammock I sleep mostly on my back. My Warbonnet Blackbird comes in pretty handy for the times I do sleep on my side with the foot-box and all. I also find that I sleep halfway between being on my side and on my back.

sgt.splatter_1980
02-20-2010, 01:01
Hennessy I some times flip-floppin, rollin'

Hawk-eye
02-20-2010, 06:00
Works great for me in my HHEx, my ENO and my DIY ... haven't had much of a problem side sleeping on any of the hammocks in my corral.

russmay
02-20-2010, 07:59
If you want a true flat lay try a bridge hammock. I usually don't like pads but put a neo air in my JRB BMBH and it is just like sleeping in a pillow top mattress at home. I tend to sleep on my side and stomach.

ref103
02-20-2010, 08:12
I'm a side sleeper on a bed but, in a hammock I sleep mostly on my back. My Warbonnet Blackbird comes in pretty handy for the times I do sleep on my side with the foot-box and all. I also find that I sleep halfway between being on my side and on my back.

i'm the same way. for some reason the side/back mix is comfortable in my BB. i do find myself sleeping on my back more. it does take a little learning curve to be able to lay flat enough for a side sleep. i go by how tight my ridgeline is. just like in brandon's video.

Perkolady
02-20-2010, 09:32
I'm a side sleeper (though it's possible for me to actually sleep a little on my back in a hammock) and I find the wider hammocks I own seem to be the most comfortable for side sleeping. I have a couple of Hennesseys, but my favorite is my diy.

I also find that the length of the hammock plays a part in my side sleeping comfort. I have a really hard time being able to feel flat and comfy in a shorter hammock. I prefer something at least 10ft long.

OldMan
02-20-2010, 16:32
I am a dedicated side sleeper in bed. I can sleep on either side, and my back some, in my BB. I generally flop around all night, which is a little challenging so far in a hammock, but it is fairly easy to get comfortable.

Roadtorque
02-20-2010, 16:37
JRB BMBH works great for side sleeping as long as you dont sleep in the fetal position on your side.

BillyBob58
02-20-2010, 22:19
I think most of the wider hammocks can accommodate side sleepers. I do it in my Hennessy and in my home made gathered end hammock. Can't really do it in my Speer.

I can sleep full fetal in my Speer comfortably, but not on my side with my legs straight.

The most perfect side sleeper for me is the JRB BMBH, but ironically, only with legs pretty straight, but NOT for other than slight fetal!

The WB BB and Claytor No Net are also pretty excellent for overall side sleeping, fetal especially. A HH Safari is great for any position, and really my HH Explorer UL is pretty good also.

But the JRB BMBH already mentioned has some pretty unique benefits, like ZERO side torque when on your side with legs straight or mostly straight, and ZERO left calf pressure when on your back. The only other gathered end hammock that can match it ( for me ) in these areas is the HH Safari.

But all of the above will get the job done, side or otherwise. For me anyway.

Bleemus
02-20-2010, 22:56
If you need the knees to your chin then get a WBBB but if you just need a slight bend in 'em then go Bridge baby!

Ramblinrev
02-21-2010, 08:10
I am a side sleeper and I did not like my DIY bridge in that position. That's only to say _for me_ it just didn't cut it. Get yourself to a group hang and try out the different brands. Most of us will let you crawl into our hammock for a test. Of course, nose clips may be a welcome accessory on your part for some well used and well loved hammock set ups.

Quoddy
02-21-2010, 09:04
That sounds like exactly the same response I would give using my WBBB.

Grillmastertoo
02-21-2010, 09:58
I was able to sleep in my Switchback last night for the first time....I ran through the range of positions....stomach, back, side, fetal, legs crossed...
PLENTY-O-ROOM!!!! I just wish it had been out in the woods instead of in my back yard.....
Soon though, very soon, I will be out amongst the forest dwellers....

FireFlyburns
02-21-2010, 19:26
Thanks everyone. I leaning towards the BB or the JRB bridge. I'll have to read more specs on both to make a final choice. I'll let everyone know.

joshjuniorr
01-08-2015, 00:52
I'm just getting into hanging but the wbbb is lookin more and more enticing for me

deerdog
01-08-2015, 03:32
Side sleeper here also. Oh and yoga stretch sleeper.

old creek
01-08-2015, 12:14
I side sleep in my skeeter beater pro with no problem and it sleeps good on my back as well. I have one issue but i'll bring that up in another thread, all in all I really like the SBP and highly recommend it, it is comfy and light on the pocket book and has the netting attached for you. when bugs are no issue I flip it over and the net is underneath out of the way.

creek

old creek
01-08-2015, 12:16
I did again, 2010:scared:

Meckie
01-08-2015, 16:27
Welcome to the addiction. I am a side sleeper and I have found one thing to take in to account is the side that you normally sleep on will effect whether you are a Left or Right Lay. I sleep on my left side in a bed normally and have found that it is easier to sleep in a right lay cause it helps to roll your shoulders to the left.

Brien
01-08-2015, 17:46
Side sleepers, like myself, tend to go with bridge hammocks. I had a Lawson Hammock, which was very conducive to sleeping on my side. I have only slept in my new WB Ridgerunner once so far and sleeping on my side wasn't quite as comfortable. However, I'm withhold my final opinion until I get a more suitable pad and give it a few nights.

Datahiker
01-09-2015, 14:25
In bed I'm primarily a right-side sleeper and use a left lay in a hammock, the opposite of Meckie. Agreed on all who said the width matters. A lot of HF members make a big deal out of length but as a side sleeper I've found width to be more important. It's hard to find the sweet spot and may take a considerable amount of tweaking the hang at first but it's doable.

The only thing I don't like about a bridge is the instability. I roll constantly and feel less likely to roll out of a gathered end.

signguy
01-09-2015, 14:35
Have to agree- width is a big factor for me since I typically am on my side with my legs bent and not stretched straight out-
Also- the gathered end gives me a big wall of fabric to have my back against which feels good and alleviates any concern of falling out.

BillyBob58
01-09-2015, 14:44
I love when these old threads pop back up! Because the questions rarely change.

I see I responded up in #13 on 2/20/10/ and my answer is pretty much the same. I was out in the 20s yesterday for a wonderful warm cozy nap, in my old version BMBH with a JRB MW3 under it and a JRB Sierra Sniv on top. Started out on my back, and very comfy. But after awhile just rolled up on my side, pulled my knees slightly up and leaned back into the side and out like a light! I don't know how I could have been any more comfy in any hammock I have. I should have just relied with "ditto" for post #13!

BillyBob58
01-09-2015, 14:54
In bed I'm primarily a right-side sleeper and use a left lay in a hammock, the opposite of Meckie. Agreed on all who said the width matters. A lot of HF members make a big deal out of length but as a side sleeper I've found width to be more important. It's hard to find the sweet spot and may take a considerable amount of tweaking the hang at first but it's doable.

The only thing I don't like about a bridge is the instability. I roll constantly and feel less likely to roll out of a gathered end.

I find it nearly impossible to roll out of my old original JRB BMBH. In fact I routinely lean way back into it's very supportive side. When I first got it back in maybe 07, I remember feeling it was very unstable. But I finally realized that was only if I tried to sit up facing one end. If lying down or sitting leaning back into the sides, I really have to work at getting dumped.

When I am in my WBRR, I have felt a much greater possibility of being dumped, because it is much more shallow, which also has it's advantages. And I did read once about some one rolling out of it. But, I have found it is harder to roll out of it than I at first thought and probably will never be a problem for me.

The JRB BMBH UL is sort of in between those two, but plenty stable when I am laying in it, with an in between amount of side wall and depth.

YMMV of course!

ckmaui
01-09-2015, 15:19
resurrection :)

ironic I have to sleep on my side in a bed but in a hammock I am so supported and comfy dont find the need to flip around to my side ?

old creek
01-09-2015, 16:00
resurrection :)

ironic I have to sleep on my side in a bed but in a hammock I am so supported and comfy dont find the need to flip around to my side ?

I had learned to sleep on my back in the hammock to.....until I read here you could find a position on your side, now just before I am in full sleep I switch to my side almost without knowing it.

creek, time warping back to 2010:boggle:

cougarmeat
01-09-2015, 18:54
I have both gathered end and bridge hammocks but both cases I usually don't curl up on my side until early morning after my body has turned into Gumby. I have found that I don't sleep in a hammock the way I sleep in bed because there are less pressure points in a hammock. But my body needs to learn that. And it usually takes one night to re-learn after I've been away.

bghiker
01-09-2015, 23:52
I' a side sleeper and have done so successfully in both my HH explorer and my DH roaming gnome. The gnome is longer and wider and is definitely more comfy...

Hangar
01-10-2015, 16:00
I can successfully sleep on my side in my WBBB

got hammocks?
01-11-2015, 09:11
For me and 11' hammock is essential to sleeping on my side. Extra width will also help. I bend the hips and knees in a slight fetal position and I find it very comfortable!