PDA

View Full Version : Simply Light Designs Custom 2.4 Hex Hammock and Bivy with Interior/Exterior Argon 90 Windshield

Papatechie
05-10-2018, 21:03
Another brainstorm hit me late one night after previously working with Jared from Simply Light Designs and my buddy Shortround on the original Trail Lair windshield design. This time it was a combo hammock and bivy mode that was very flexible in its setup and could very well be used in 4 seasons. Basically, this time we moved the windshield design from the outside to the inside so that you don't have to get out to unzip and you can control the venting from inside. But also, we modified the windshield so that it can also be deployed on the outside with loops and mitten hooks if you prefer.

I went with a heavy fabric the 2.4 Hexon which is soft yet firm much like a double layer, so you get less squeeze and a flatter lay. The upside is it's durable for this setup yet heavy where a single layer 1.0 or 1.6 would shine. Ideally, when in bivy mode you would see a tarp overhead and you can move the windshield to the outside or just use it without it. I also added yellow paracord snaps with shock cord loops to easily attach the windshield when in bivy mode and to also clip my shoulder and foot side of my Hammock Gear UQ to the body of the hammock.

On the netting center line Jared added enforced D-ring tie outs where I then added shock cord loops and mitten hooks to attach to the tarp or ridgeline when in Bivy Mode. Now if you wanted to you could do this same bivy mode setup with small alligator tarp clips or even a marble and paracord but you would want to put a small patch of cloth to protect your netting first, so it won't tear (try at your own risk). Ideally, you would use hiking poles or sticks as it's not a freestanding shelter but for this post I didn't set them up.

Also, you would want to use a ground cloth but for demonstration purposes I did not setup my 70D Bear Paw bathtub floor since it's in my backyard grass. I added the high viz adjustable hammock body shock cords to pull the netting out in hammock mode and to secure the setup with Dutch titanium hooks in bivy mode. A true bivy mode one might consider having the windshield design extend all the way to the ends but that’s not necessary in my situation.

This setup ran me about $220 out the gate plus all my little additions may have added a few more dollars. When it arrived in its double ended stuff sack, this model weighed 1 pound 14 ounces; but, after I added all my stuff (clips, shock cords, RL organizer, etc.) along with Sheltowee stuff sack and suspension it is coming in at 2 pounds 12 ounces of combo shelter.

I may do a video review in the future but I’m not sure at this time; however, I would say that Jared at Simply Light Designs is a pleasure to work with and his hammocks are top notch work in my opinion. Comments welcome below:

1 x Trail Lair (Details)
------------------------------------------------------
Add On Tie Outs Yes, Knees & Shoulders (D-Rings)
Color / Fabric Hexon 2.4 Dark Olive
Continuous Loops Removable
Fixed Ridgeline Yes, Fixed (Amsteel)
Layers Single
Length 11 Foot
Netting Material No-See-Um(.9 oz)
Removable Wind Shield Argon 90 - Charcoal Grey
Under Quilt Hooks Yes
Zipper Options Two Sided (Retractable w/ Extra zipper pulls)
Zipper Size #5 YKK Zipper
------------------------------------------------------