PDA

View Full Version : Loco Libre, Hammock Gear, or Enlightened Equipment topquilt?

Cliffy
05-17-2018, 05:23
I'm looking for an ultralight 20 degree topquilt for backpacking and motorcycling, and have narrowed down my choice to Loco Libre, Hammock Gear, or Enlightened Equipment. Which one is best?

Price is less important than weight, performance, and features.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Peppy
05-17-2018, 05:33
You will get LOTS of different opinions here. You can certainly go ultralight with HG, and EE is known for lightweight as well. If you have time to wait, I’d be tempted to get a LL operator TQ. Rated for 20 degrees and I believe it’s 17oz.

cmoulder
05-17-2018, 05:49
I have HG and EE quilts and the quality of both is outstanding. I've also seen many raves for LL and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those, either.

Compared to the other 2, I've read more than once that EE temp rating claims are on the optimistic side, and I've also read that they've responded by adding a skosh more down.

EE quilts can be made with 7D shell/liner, which combined with a high FP down makes them quite stuffable, and they now have "H.E." versions which I'm pretty sure stands for Hammock Edition, and they have a narrower cut and are even lighter and more compact. To give you a 'fergzampl,' an EE Enigma H.E. 30deg can weigh under 14oz.

One thing I luv-luv-luv about my HG Incubator is that it's made with Argon 67 (they also have Argon 90) which is extremely splash resistant. Mine is a 0deg, and for a quilt that size it stuffs down to an impressively small volume in the bottom of my pack.

LL also uses Argon 67/90, among other choices, and LL also offers the warmer-weather Operator quilts which are extremely light.

Marmaduke
05-17-2018, 05:51
You can't go wrong with any of them. I just bought an EE Enigma a couple months ago and I love it, but I also own stuff from Loco Libre. It's a matter of when you need the quilt, really. EE is generally a bit faster, 3-5 weeks right now. That's the main reason I went with them, TBH, as the wait time was only two weeks for me.

kitsapcowboy
05-17-2018, 07:07
Loco Libre Operator.

Eso es todo. :thumbup1:

arcana73
05-17-2018, 07:44
No love for Underground Equipment Bandit quilts? I enjoy mine.

rweb82
05-17-2018, 07:58
Again, my vote is for Loco Libre; but they all make nice gear. I love the quality of construction and the chevron baffles that LL offers. I also like the fact that you can customize everything on the quilt, and choose your size by 1" increments. Their wait time is longer, however. But if you don't need it right away, it's well worth it!

Peppy
05-17-2018, 08:33
No love for Underground Equipment Bandit quilts? I enjoy mine.

I really like mine as well. Just didn’t add to what the OP was looking at. I LOVE my UGQ, JRB and Wilderness Logics Gear!

Grey Mouse
05-17-2018, 22:46
All three vendors make quality equipment from what little I know as I have never owned an EE or HG quilt. Insofar as my personal preferences I only buy from George , Jared , and Dutch since my experiences with them have been great, they have far exceeded my expectations, and customer care has always been over the top. I prefer George's quilts personally but beware adding your options on any quilt by any manufacturer as the weight can stack on with draft collars, heavier materials (Argon 90 vs Argon 67), and such. I've never met another hanger who owned a quilt by any of the companies that you have listed that was displeased with their products. I'm new to the UL scene but I'm trying to get there.

gobiidae
05-27-2018, 08:29
I have not purchased from EE but have products from both LL and HG. You really can't go wrong with either vendor for a top quality, light weight quilt.

TrailSlug
05-27-2018, 09:13
My order of preference is LocoLibre, HG. No EE quilts for me as I'm just not a fan but many like them.

Ohoopee
05-27-2018, 09:57
I have the hg, ee and ll operator series on order. The two I have are top notch and I can attest that my ee has 3 years use and still in great shape. I’m not sure but I think the operator series will be the lightest. Unless you need it faster than the 8-9 weeks, I would go for the wait and not spend next 2 years second guessing:).

Rex Clifton
05-27-2018, 12:23
I assume you'll be using in a hammock, in that case I would choose Hammock Gear, although i have not owned a LL (l couldn't wait 4 months for the quilt). If your looking to ground camp, I would recommend the Katabatic Gear Palisade, overall, the best quilt I have ever owned.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Cliffy
06-07-2018, 21:35
I ended up choosing Underground Quilts. Can't wait to try it out once it arrives.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!