PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag as underquilt??

Ewker
10-24-2006, 18:39
I have a -5° sleeping bag with a full length zipper. Could you use that as an underquilt?

Arkwater
10-24-2006, 18:42
Is it rectangular? how long? how wide?

Coffee
10-24-2006, 19:11
A rectangle with some sewing should work, I ran across one online somewhere but can't remember where. I mummy bag might work with some more sewing. A -5 bag may be heavier than other options, but then it could get you colder.

Only one way to find out.

Ewker
10-24-2006, 19:15
it is a mummy bag. When you open it up the widest part is approx 60" wide. The zipper stops about 18" from the bottom of the bag. The bag is down and weighs 3 lbs

Arkwater
10-24-2006, 19:22
Unless your pretty short a mummy bag won't work very well as an underquilt. Unless you want to cut it up some, but I couldn't do that if it were mine. would make a pretty good top quilt though.

Ewker
10-24-2006, 19:26
I have no clue as to what the fill is. All it says is that it has 2 lbs of goose down. Anyone remember the Backside Sleeping bags? That is the brand. I have had it down to 0° and had to unzip the bag some.

Coffee
10-24-2006, 19:28
If you are open to sewing the bag to lay flat and as open as possible (read no longer use it as a bag) I don't see why you could not use it. You would really have to adjust the foot end so that the insulation is right were you lay.

Maybe one of the sewing experts would be able to help more.

Coffee
10-24-2006, 19:30
Unless your pretty short a mummy bag won't work very well as an underquilt. Unless you want to cut it up some, but I couldn't do that if it were mine. would make a pretty good top quilt though.

I didn't even think of the length issue. Maybe you could pick up a cheap bag somewhere first and try it out on that first.

Ewker
10-24-2006, 19:36
I had prefer not to cut it up. I was just hoping that it might work as is. I don't need that warm of a bag most of the time but it is nice to have just in case

It is 84" long

Arkwater
10-24-2006, 19:40
I have a 20 deg mummy bag I have used in a hennessy by placing 1/8 in. thick closed cell foam pad in the hammock with me. have been good down to 30 deg. with this setup and the pad only weighs 3.5 oz. I think it was auto headliner foam. Its pretty soft for closed cell foam.

Miguel
10-24-2006, 21:28
I've been thinking the same thing. I have an extra long rectangular 20 degree bag with a hood. I think I'll try it out just for grins.:D

Miguel

PS Newbie question: Since you don't use the netting when it's cold do you just flip the hammock over so the it's on the bottom and then pull the bag over the whole thing?

Coffee
10-24-2006, 21:54
PS Newbie question: Since you don't use the netting when it's cold do you just flip the hammock over so the it's on the bottom and then pull the bag over the whole thing?

If it is a HH, then you sleep in it as usual. The ridge line keeps you from flipping it over.

Just Jeff
10-24-2006, 21:58
Ewker - if you have a Speer-type, you may be able to pull the entire bag over the hammock. Depending on the design, you may not have to make any alterations. Most likely, you'll at least have to cut a hole in the bottom. Check out the "pull up bag" here (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html#Pull-up) and click on the "see pic" link for what I'm talking about.

I don't think it's too tough to turn it into a true underquilt, but you'll have to cut it up as mentioned before. Patrick from KAQ made his first underquilt from a TNF bag. He put pics on WB if you do a search.

Miguel, you can't really flip over a Hennessy unless you make a removable ridgeline. If you're willing to do that, then you may find a pull-up bag that works. Or maybe you could use a Pea-Pod. But if you're gonna do that, you might as well just buy a Speer so you could just leave the bug net at home and save the ~4 oz. Or make a homemade one and save the ounce or so of the velcro, too.

Miguel
10-25-2006, 07:25
Ewker - if you have a Speer-type, you may be able to pull the entire bag over the hammock. Depending on the design, you may not have to make any alterations. Most likely, you'll at least have to cut a hole in the bottom. Check out the "pull up bag" here (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html#Pull-up) and click on the "see pic" link for what I'm talking about.

I don't think it's too tough to turn it into a true underquilt, but you'll have to cut it up as mentioned before. Patrick from KAQ made his first underquilt from a TNF bag. He put pics on WB if you do a search.

Miguel, you can't really flip over a Hennessy unless you make a removable ridgeline. If you're willing to do that, then you may find a pull-up bag that works. Or maybe you could use a Pea-Pod. But if you're gonna do that, you might as well just buy a Speer so you could just leave the bug net at home and save the ~4 oz. Or make a homemade one and save the ounce or so of the velcro, too.

I have a Claytor Jungle Hammock with no ridgeline and the netting is permanently attached. I don't have any plans on making a home made hammock...at least for now.

Miguel