PDA

View Full Version : NCP's Bug bivvy v.2

NCPatrick
07-09-2007, 21:14
Here's a link to pictures of my latest bug bivvy (http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/BugBivvy2).

As I posted somewhere before:

I just finished making my second bug bivvy, a noseeum tube, (2 pieces of 125" x approx. 59" hemmed black noseeum sewn together, 96" #5 zipper with 2 reversable pulls on one seam, drawstrings on the ends). It was pretty easy to make and looks good, imo.

BTW, this was for my speer-type hammock, top loader.

I'll post some pictures in the gallery.

slowhike
07-09-2007, 21:25
looks plum pro bro. i like it.

NCPatrick
07-09-2007, 21:37
Thanks! Works for me! :)

Coffee
07-09-2007, 23:16
Looks good. At some point I am thinking about doing one with noseeum on top and DWR or 1.1 untreated on bottom. A sock to trap in the heat, or keep the bugs out. I may have to borrow some of your work when it comes to pass.

Hooch
07-10-2007, 06:49
Another great project, NCP. Good job! You have me jealous! :D

NCPatrick
07-10-2007, 07:20
Thanks. I just went for the easiest thing I could think of, with a zipper. This one can be for hotter weather. I may try a 1/2 DWR version for fall or spring, when dusk temps are a little cooler. And a full sock for winter. I've got some extra DWR lying around that's NOT camo. :rolleyes:

Lots of projects still to get done. :)

Hooch
07-10-2007, 07:27
I've got some extra DWR lying around that's NOT camo. Well, who would want a thing like that? :eek: Yuk! Seriously, HE would be proud. :p

headchange4u
07-10-2007, 07:33
You'll be bug free in that thing for sure. It looks great. You sewing skills have really become top notch.

NCPatrick
07-10-2007, 07:37
You'll be bug free in that thing for sure. It looks great. You sewing skills have really become top notch.

Thanks. I appreciate it. No bugs will get in, except for the ones I bring in with me.

What's next for you?

headchange4u
07-10-2007, 07:50
What's next for you?

Down quilt or bridge hammock. Probably the bridge hammock.

NCPatrick
07-10-2007, 07:57
Looking forward to the pictures!

FanaticFringer
07-10-2007, 21:50
Cool .Thanks for posting it. Now that I've sewn my first hammock, I might just give this thing a try.

Coffee
07-10-2007, 23:24
I really like the drawstring ends. I was thinking about mine and I think that makes a good seal while leaving room for the supports to move a little. I just shock cord to give it a little more stretch.

NCPatrick
07-11-2007, 06:28
I like the drawstrings too, it gives you the room to move the whole thing out of the way still attached, and also makes it easy to add it or take it off of your setup completely, adjust it, etc. Last night I moved the whole thing down into my BB sack (still attached) for storage to see how that worked. Like a charm. Lots setup options.

I'd still like to weigh this one, I know it would be easy to reduce the weight (by making a nanoseeum one with a smaller zipper, etc.).

Coffee
07-11-2007, 09:19
I like the drawstrings too, it gives you the room to move the whole thing out of the way still attached, and also makes it easy to add it or take it off of your setup completely, adjust it, etc. Last night I moved the whole thing down into my BB sack (still attached) for storage to see how that worked. Like a charm. Lots setup options.

I'd still like to weigh this one, I know it would be easy to reduce the weight (by making a nanoseeum one with a smaller zipper, etc.).

I think I might fogo the zipper altogether on the next one.

Hooch
07-11-2007, 09:41
I think I might fogo the zipper altogether on the next one.Ok, enlighten me, please. Other than velcro, how else would you get into a bug net?

sk8rs_dad
07-11-2007, 09:54
It's a tube. You slide it down to one end of the hammock, get in, then pull it up over you and cinch down the open end of the tunnel, kind of like pulling the sheets over your head.

Hooch
07-11-2007, 09:59
It's a tube. You slide it down to one end of the hammock, get in, then pull it up over you and cinch down the open end of the tunnel, kind of like pulling the sheets over your head. D'oh! Well, DUH. Thanks for kick starting my brain for the day, I appreciate it.

blackbishop351
07-11-2007, 11:12
D'oh! Well, DUH. Thanks for kick starting my brain for the day, I appreciate it.

Basic hammock sock design, man...check out Jeff's site :p And for goodness sake, get some more coffee in ya! lol

Hooch
07-11-2007, 11:15
And for goodness sake, get some more coffee in ya!
Don't drink the stuff, it makes me act weird. :p Seriously, I only drink the stuff when I'm camping and it's cool in the morning or at night.

NCPatrick
07-11-2007, 11:16
It's a tube. You slide it down to one end of the hammock, get in, then pull it up over you and cinch down the open end of the tunnel, kind of like pulling the sheets over your head.

I just don't know how you would get the thing cinched up far enough up the ridgeline (with a 10 or 11' hammock) to not have a hole... You've got your ridgeline and your hammock suspension line to bridge with it all. My arms just aren't that long, and you aren't going to be able to stand up to reach farther... maybe somebody could draw me a picture of how this works.

sk8rs_dad
07-11-2007, 11:19
I have an HH so it's not an issue. I guess you could use a carabiner as a pulley and a bit of extra cord to draw the tube over you, and an oversized length of cinch cord. That'd get it over you and tightened. Pulling it down is easy once you figure out how to loosen the cinched end. That's the step that's got me stumped.

stoikurt
07-11-2007, 11:22
Sounds like painting yourself into a corner...easier to get into than out of.:D

NCPatrick
07-11-2007, 11:30
You might be there a while -- but at least there won't be any bugs in there with you for as long as it takes you to get out. You'd be an entertaining show to watch if you're camping with others too. :D

slowhike
07-11-2007, 20:31
I just don't know how you would get the thing cinched up far enough up the ridgeline (with a 10 or 11' hammock) to not have a hole... You've got your ridgeline and your hammock suspension line to bridge with it all. My arms just aren't that long, and you aren't going to be able to stand up to reach farther... maybe somebody could draw me a picture of how this works.

i was wondering the same thing.

FanaticFringer
07-11-2007, 20:55
I'm thinking of buying some Noseeum netting from here:
www.vtarmynavy.com/mosquito_netting.htm
Seems like the 117" wide Noseeum netting would work well. You would'nt need to
have 2 seperate nets to sew together as most sold are around 54" wide.

Just Jeff
07-11-2007, 21:25
It's pretty simple. Can't you slide yourself far enough to the head end of your hammock to touch the knot? Then another 2-3 inches? No acrobatics required, and you can cinch/uncinch from inside the hammock, and barely getting out of the quilt.

FanaticFringer
07-11-2007, 21:31
It's pretty simple. Can't you slide yourself far enough to the head end of your hammock to touch the knot? Then another 2-3 inches? No acrobatics required, and you can cinch/uncinch from inside the hammock, and barely getting out of the quilt.

I just got back and tested your idea. It's a no go on my hammock. She's over 10' and with my short arms I could'nt get near the knot, even when I slid up.
Maybe that means my hammock is too long? It shure feels good though.
Think I'll go with the zipper method.

Just Jeff
07-11-2007, 21:35
What? You can't slide your body to the top of your hammock and touch the knot? Can't figure that out...just grab the sides and pull yourself up.

Regardless, I like my zippered one better than the sock b/c it's more convenient. Go for it!

slowhike
07-11-2007, 21:45
What? You can't slide your body to the top of your hammock and touch the knot? Can't figure that out...just grab the sides and pull yourself up.

Regardless, I like my zippered one better than the sock b/c it's more convenient. Go for it!

yep, that's what i'm thinking... i could probably pull myself up to reach the knot, but man... that just sounds like to much work to me:o
i think i'll be putting a zipper on mine:rolleyes:

FanaticFringer
07-12-2007, 14:38
yep, that's what i'm thinking... i could probably pull myself up to reach the knot, but man... that just sounds like to much work to me:o
i think i'll be putting a zipper on mine:rolleyes:

Way to much work.....epecially if a hungry boar comes sniffing around my campsite and I need to quickly find a tree to climb.:p

Growler
07-29-2008, 10:59
NCP, is there a diagram or a quasi pattern that you have or could write up? I see your dimensions, but i cant picture the way to assemble this "project. Any extra info would be great. Thanks.

GrizzlyAdams
07-29-2008, 11:11
Thanks. I just went for the easiest thing I could think of, with a zipper. This one can be for hotter weather. I may try a 1/2 DWR version for fall or spring, when dusk temps are a little cooler. And a full sock for winter. I've got some extra DWR lying around that's NOT camo. :rolleyes:

Lots of projects still to get done. :)

purple or bright green I'm thinking. I've seen some of your other projects :D

seriously though, that's nice. I especially like the grosgrain zipper stopper. I'll be borrowing that idea in the future.

Is the tube cylindrical, or did you cut it narrower at the ends?

Grizz

NCPatrick
07-29-2008, 11:26
I'll try to go back and "remember" the details. It has been a while since I made this.

I'm fast approaching version 3. I've been wishing lately that I had tapered the ends, since the "extra" bugnetting at each end has stretched out over time and has been sagging down into my face a bit. So soon I'm going to remake it (we can rebuild it, we have the technology) to have tapered ends.

It is at the moment cylindrical, with drawstrings at either end. I sewed 2 rectangles of netting together longways making one seam, and at the other seam put in the zipper. I put in channels at the ends for the drawstrings.

I will soon (very soon) go back and cut and sew and taper the ends and make the end openings (still with drawstrings) much smaller, since I go in and out through the zipper and rarely remove the netting during buggy times.

fin
07-29-2008, 13:54
Great Job! But how do you keep the zippered side where you want it? I mean, doesn't the weight of the zipper make it want to slide underneath your hammock? Did I miss something?

As far as being able to pull the ends of the bug net up far enough over the end of the hammock, what I did with my "tube" sock was to tie a line to the end of the cinch cord up through my tree hugger and back through the opening into the hammock. When you pull on the cord, it rides up the ridgeline and cinches at the same time. Then I just tie it down to a tab inside the hammock. To release, just release the tied line, and pull the sock back. Bad drawing, but here's what I did. Red lines are the cords for pulling hammock towards tree, then back towards hammock. Of course, the trick here is to have enough suspension from your tree hugger to your hammock to pull it off. If you use a ring closer to the tree, the rope slides very easily. Note to Grizz, this is one of the reasons I use the fixed distance tree huggers. You did muse on that when I originally posted it.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/9/0/6/sock_cinch_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3803&c=3)

headchange4u
07-29-2008, 14:01
Great Job! But how do you keep the zippered side where you want it? I mean, doesn't the weight of the zipper make it want to slide underneath your hammock? Did I miss something?

On my hammock socks I sew 3-4 Velcro tabs that can be secured around the ridge line and that keeps the zipper in it's proper location.

NCPatrick
07-29-2008, 14:05
Yep, you'd think that it would tend to slide toward the bottom due to zipper weight and gravity, but that doesn't seem to happen in reality.

DougTheElder
07-29-2008, 14:36
I've been planning to make a bugnet for my Speer which would attach with zippers on each side. Intuitively it seems your bivvy would be much simpler to make and would be less likely to sag into the hammock. Am I missing something?

NCPatrick
07-29-2008, 14:48
<shrug> I'm assuming you have a ridgeline on your Speer? The bugnetting rests on that a bit as well.

A full bug bivy probably weighs more than what you were going to do, but you add mosquito protection underneath you as well as over the top.

DougTheElder
07-29-2008, 15:07
Yes, I have a structural ridge line which does not go through the 'gathered knot'...in other words, it is external to the hammock. So that is going to add a little complication to an attached bugnet, unless I put the ridgeline inside. But, I don't think your bivvy would add a whole lot of weight....it would use one less zipper....and the bottom-side protection could be priceless...literally saving your (or, more importantly, my) arse.:D

Niloc
02-19-2010, 17:44
NCPatrick thanks for posting your photos. I really like your design and plan on making one very similar.

NCPatrick
02-19-2010, 18:04
Thanks. I'm glad it's helpful. I still use this too. Might be time for me to make myself a new one

cooldays
02-19-2010, 18:18
great job patrick! That will keep all your bugs in :)

seriously very nice work! I'm impressed.

russmay
02-20-2010, 08:18
Nice job, What is the weight ?