PDA

View Full Version : Question about single sided zipper on SLD trail lair

m00ch
05-24-2018, 09:04
I'm about to buy a trail lair and have a question on whether the single sided zipper option will still let me fold the bug net up and over the ridgeline. I have a few Blackbirds and never unzip the bugnet fully, I just unzip it to the peak and fold it over, even in winter. Can someone confirm that this achievable with the Trail Lair? I don't need to throw $20 at a feature I will never use.
Since I am asking does anyone know if 2 zipper pulls come with the single sided zipper?

michigandave
05-24-2018, 10:34
The single sided zipper will allow you to unzip it completely (but still attached) and store it into an included peak bag. There's no problem just unzipping it halfway and tossing it over the ridgeline. My Trail Lair is set up that way since I've had it a couple years. The double zipper option makes it easier to adjust the UQ or UQP from both sides.

m00ch
05-24-2018, 11:41
Thanks, hammock ordered.

michigandave
05-24-2018, 12:46
Congrats on the purchase. You'll be a happy camper! Make sure to post some pictures and give some feedback on how you like your new Trail Lair. Knowing how Jared works, you should have a tracking number tomorrow. Enjoy.

OneClick
05-24-2018, 12:52
Knowing how Jared works, you should have a tracking number tomorrow. Enjoy.

It'll be in the mail before he orders. No, it doens't have to make sense :)

michigandave
05-24-2018, 13:57
It'll be in the mail before he orders. No, it doens't have to make sense :)Or in my case, just have cool gear show up from Jared without even ordering it. Best surprise email I got from him was "Did you get the hot tent I sent you yet?" two days before I was heading out on an extended winter camping trip. Life is good!

Tony c
05-24-2018, 14:00
I checked today but I thought you could get a Darien style trail lair from the menu. It's not an option now, but it described the two sided option as being retractable. Price used to be $99 to start but now it's $130. I've never seen anyone claim to order a one sided trail lair so I wouldn't be surprised to see it removed as an option (it's assuredly a custom option)

Grey Mouse
05-25-2018, 09:55
I think that as I was clicking the selection boxes Jared must have been cutting the cloth and warming up the sewing machine lol. I ordered two trail lair's the first week of the month and never even thought of a single set of zippers. After using the dual zippers I guess that a single set might have been lighter and perhaps easier for the bugnet but as stated above I wanted to be able to adjust the UQ easily if needed. We love our hammocks and I'll bet you fall in love with yours. Btw, I also upgraded to the #5 zippers also. Did you upgrade yours ?

michigandave
05-28-2018, 20:00
I checked today but I thought you could get a Darien style trail lair from the menu. It's not an option now, but it described the two sided option as being retractable. Price used to be $99 to start but now it's $130. I've never seen anyone claim to order a one sided trail lair so I wouldn't be surprised to see it removed as an option (it's assuredly a custom option)

I've bought two Trail Lairs, both with the 2 zipper pulls that allows the net to completely retract, since when I bought them (June 2014 for $125 and Dec 2015 for $130) the option of 2 sets of zippers (allowing you to adjust your UQ from either side) wasn't an option. In 2018, the prices are still pretty much the same as when I bought my first one in 2014...it all just depends on what options/length is ordered.

On the SLD website Jared posted this: "Update 5/25/18 - With the increased number of options available for the Trail Lair, the net with a single sided zipper option has proven to be counter productive to my concept of keeping things simple. It also brings up compatibility issues with various options. So, the Single Sided Zipper option has been removed from the listing." I think this makes good business sense and I can see where he's coming from, especially if there wasn't much call for it.

In the big picture, it's still pretty amazing that SLD can turn around a custom hammock order in a matter of days, not weeks at a very competitive price. Free shipping just adds the icing to the cake :).

m00ch
05-31-2018, 18:05
Well, I ordered at noon and the next morning at 5AM it was ready to be shipped out, amazing. I hung it yesterday and I am very happy with everything. Jared made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a double sided zipper so that is what I went with. Thanks for everyone's help.