PDA

View Full Version : New here and looking for advice before I purchase my first hammock system

C.R.C.
06-08-2018, 11:06
I am not 100% sure that I will be able to hammock camp but I really want to try it out. I don't want to spend a ton of money to start with but I don't really want to go with the gear you find at WMart either.

I am 5'3" and 116 pounds and have been looking at the Hennessy Scout (Zip) to get my feet wet. Seems like a company that has been around a while and it looks like they make a decent product at a decent price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other hammocks I should consider?

Thanks!

kitsapcowboy
06-08-2018, 11:24
This is what the Master has to say on the subject...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_56W3jdxbY

I'll add that the youth-sized Hennessy hammocks -- the Scout Zip and the Cub Zip -- are actually pretty nice entry-level hangs, with the exception of the very minimal rain flies and the lashing rope suspension. The diagonal lay is dedicated head left/feet right, and they are not super-light, but they are sturdy with good zippers and construction. I bought my young daughter a Cub Zip on sale for $59 delivered to the US two years ago, converted it to whoopie slings and proper tree huggers, and got her a hex tarp, and it has turned out to be a fantastic value.

There are a lot of good cottage vendor hammocks from which to choose, and my best advice would be to do a lot of research here first and then choose a good-quality, affordable, versatile option from one of them -- buy once, cry once. However, if the initial outlay that choice represents is more than you want to venture on your hammock camping experiment, there is nothing wrong with finding a sufficiently sized mass-market imported hammock and a bug net, pitching it under a cheap poly utility tarp, and giving it a whirl...

Good luck.

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
06-08-2018, 11:49
As always, try a group hang where you can sleep in a borrowed hammock and see if you like it. Also, an inexpensive cottage hammock can always be fun just for lounging.

Phantom Grappler
06-08-2018, 13:41
Even starting with low cost in mind. Get a hammock 11 feet long by 5 feet wide. Lots of cottage vendors that are listed on Hammock Forums have hammocks that size. Some hammocks that are made overseas and sold online are extremely short and narrow. This can impact your comfort even though you are not a large person.
And If you don’t like hammock camping, you will be able to sell online and get some of your money back.
And you will need insulation above and below, especially below, even if the overnight low is 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
Do not use tree straps made with nylon——they stretch too much and sag overnight.
Good luck [emoji256] You can do it, I believe you will have fun.

hutzelbein
06-09-2018, 04:46
I would recommend going to a group hang, too. If you can't do that, get a simple no-net 11' hammock to find out if you can sleep in a hammock. Dutch would be an obvious source (https://dutchwaregear.com/product-category/hammock-gear/hammocks/netless-hammocks/), because you can get everything you need in one place. Another great choice would be a Warbonnet Traveler XL (https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/travelers-no-net-ridgerunners/). My 1.7 Heavyweight DL is one of my absolute favorites at home. I'm 5'4", so not much taller than you. But there are lots of great vendors like Simply Light Designs, Dream Hammock, Wilderness Logics, Butt in a Sling and many others.

I would pass on Hennessy, because their hammocks are for the most part short, narrow and heavy. If you can get one very cheap, it might be OK in the beginning. But many sell their Hennessys once they had the chance to use something longer, wider and lighter. On the other hand, there's always a use for a comfortable no-net hammock, even if you get something with more features for hiking later on.

sidneyhornblower
06-09-2018, 05:27
If you're just wanting to know if you can SLEEP in a hammock, start with a netless gathered end hammock and simple suspension like straps and cinch buckles. Set up in your own yard, wriggle into your sleeping bag and try it out on a night when you know it won't rain. This time of year in your part of the country you should be comfortable enough to begin learning.

If you want to go CAMPING as opposed to learning to sleep in a hammock, that introduces a few additional requirements: rain protection, insect protection and making sure you're warm enough. Cheapest solution for the rain is a blue poly tarp from Wally World (I still have mine). Cheapest insulation is a pad. Cheapest bug protection is probably a headnet and keeping the rest of your body covered in the sleeping bag.

At your height and weight a ten foot hammock should be comfortable and might save a buck or two over an 11 footer. If you look at the vendor forums you'll see plenty of good choices. If you're buying from someone who has a forum on hammockforums you can base your decision on price and how quickly they ship. All the cottage vendors are reputable. Look in the For Sale forum too. There might be someone selling just what you need at a discount.

I don't want to slight vendors from whom I have not bought, so this list is NOT a top ten or anything like that. My goal is to ultimately own something from as many different cottage shops as I can, LOL. But so far I have bought goods and/or services from all these guys and can recommend any of them:

Arrowhead equipment
Dutchware
Ripstop by the roll
Jacks R Better
Warbonnet
Hammock gear
2QZQ

In addition, I've owned a Hennessy Expedition and it's a well engineered system. If you can find it on sale, you should fit it well. Finally, while I have not yet bought from Dream Hammocks I am considering a particular hammock from them as well and feel I should mention them.

Edited to add: As of the time I'm posting this there is a Warbonnet Traveler in the For Sale forum that might be a nice introduction to hammocks.

cap624
06-09-2018, 08:21
Just after I had the thought of, "I wonder if I'd like to sleep in a hammock," I found hammockforums.net. Soon, it was information overload with all the new terminology, acronyms, and info. I visited the suggested vendor websites and with so many options (and very little explanation), I knew that I first had to answer the question of whether or not I enjoyed sleeping in a hammock before investing a lot of time and energy educating myself.

So, I decided to proof it out, on the cheap: Grand Trunk Ultralight ($20) and a used hammock stand.

Set it up inside my house. The first night, I learned that CBS (cold butt syndrome) occurs indoors, too.
By the second or third night, my brain had figured out that I wasn't going to launch myself out of the hammock.

Loved it and I've been an indoor/backyard hanger ever since. I've even built a few hammock stands.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Smckinney0031
06-09-2018, 10:16
Depending on how cheap you want to go, try Bear butt. They were pretty great and lower cost.

Moving up, Dutchware Is AWESOME and has some cheaper options as well. Much better quality than Bear butt!

I have not tried out my newest yet, a Warbonnet Blackbird Xlc....but so far I love the quality!!! But it is a bit on the not so cheap side

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Phantom Grappler
06-09-2018, 22:00
Watch Shug’s ten part video series How to Hang a Hammock, How to tarp, How to insulate, How to use suspensions. Etc. Ten short entertaining and informative videos——that answer lots of questions and that you will enjoy.

Iceiceguy
06-10-2018, 18:52
I'd also consider how you prefer to sleep (back, side, etc). I think if you sleep on your back, you can work with just about any style of hammock (gathered end, bridge, 90 degree) but if you are a side sleeper....well, I feel like we side sleepers are a little more "high maintenance" :) = $$$ But, if you are a back sleeper, there are lots of inexpensive options available to you!

SilvrSurfr
06-10-2018, 21:03
Welcome from the Jersey Shore. My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip, which I used for two years. I never found it that comfortable. Then I tried simple, gathered-end hammocks like Buttinasling or Dutch netless hammocks - they hit the comfort spot for me. You can easily add a Fronkey bugnet, then maybe grab a 3-season Jarbidge UQ and you're pretty much set for a beginner setup.

As you get more experienced, you can check out the hammocks with integrated bugnets like the Dutch Chameleon, Warbonnet, Dream Hammock that are more expensive, but very popular.

C.R.C.
06-12-2018, 11:46
Thanks everyone - I appreciate all of your advice!

Quick update: I have had a fear of hammocks since I was a kid and I was not 100% sure I could even lay in a hammock so I took the advice to try a cheap hammock to begin with. I found one this weekend while grocery shopping at Aldi. It cost $14.99 so I figured it wouldn't be a huge loss if I never used it. I set it up and eased into it. It was not at all tippy like the hammocks I remember from my childhood. I actually felt pretty comfortable in the hammock. So now I am planning on a quick overnight at either a local campground or at our cabin. If all goes well I will be in the market for a nice 11' hammock (cheap one is only 9.5')

cap624
06-12-2018, 16:06
try a cheap hammock to begin with.

Good to hear! If all goes well, you can re-purpose the cheapie hammock as an afternoon lounger, or a gear sling, or whatever. I'm similar in height as you (5'4") and sleep nightly in an ENO DN (same length as your cheapie at 9.5'). It works for me. As you will hear here, Hang Your Own Hang (HYOH).

After my initial hammock purchase, I bought various pillows, one of which was too fluffy, so it's now used under my knees. Love my cub pillow from Arrowhead Equipment - has just the right amount of support under my neck. I also tried various types of insulation: sleeping bag, PLUQ, underquilts, topquilts. Bottom line: if I'm cold, I'm miserable. So, I bought a Walmart thermometer and started keeping track of nighttime conditions, temps, insulation used, etc.

Enjoy!

Iceiceguy
06-12-2018, 16:40
CRC, just remember that a longer hammock is going to be waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more comfortable than the one you have. So, don't make a decision that hammock sleeping isn't for you until you tryout a longer one. Makes a big, big difference in comfort.

Immortalviking
06-19-2018, 19:35
The Warbonnet Eldorado would be an excellent top end selection, that gives you room for add ons down the road if you decide you want do 4 Seasons.

Grey Mouse
06-20-2018, 08:00
An experienced hanger can make a cheap hammock "comfortable" to a degree but an inexperience person can make the best designed hammock uncomfortable without properly setting it up. Learning to properly set up your hammock is more important than who makes it in my opinion. I would definitely go with an eleven foot hammock to start for your next hammock. I'll also second the suggestion of watching Shug's videos.

When I started hanging I failed miserably on my first hand due to setting it up rubber band tight and the fact that I had bought a nine foot hammock. I ended up on the ground that night. I didn't give up and changed the suspension. Wow what a difference. Then I learned that adjusting the suspension made it very sleepable but not yet "comfortable". Then I contacted Jared at SLD and he helped me design a hammock for me and the wife. We have never looked back once we found out just how comfortable a hammock can be. This site, the people on here, and shug's videos really helped a lot. Your on the right path to a hammock addiction :D

oldpappy
06-20-2018, 09:25
I am not 100% sure that I will be able to hammock camp but I really want to try it out. I don't want to spend a ton of money to start with but I don't really want to go with the gear you find at WMart either.

I am 5'3" and 116 pounds and have been looking at the Hennessy Scout (Zip) to get my feet wet. Seems like a company that has been around a while and it looks like they make a decent product at a decent price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other hammocks I should consider?

Thanks!

If you are near Warrenton, Va, I have a Scout you can use for awhile and several other hammocks lengths/styles you can borrow to try out.

W8lkinUSA
06-20-2018, 10:07
I'm 5' 11'' and have an 11' hammock with a 12' tarp. Having hit the minimum 12' tree distance at a couple of car-camping sites, I'm now considering downsizing to a 10' hammock with 11' tarp as long as my injury isn't aggravated.

It might be best to know your available hanging distances before committing to longer hammocks. At your height, you can probably get by with a 9.5' ENO hammock.

hutzelbein
06-20-2018, 14:36
I'm 5' 11'' and have an 11' hammock with a 12' tarp. Having hit the minimum 12' tree distance at a couple of car-camping sites, I'm now considering downsizing to a 10' hammock with 11' tarp as long as my injury isn't aggravated.

Or you keep your 11' hammock and get one of the mini-door tarps from Warbonnet. You get the protection of a 12' tarp with the ridgeline of an 11' tarp.

W8lkinUSA
06-22-2018, 09:32
Or you keep your 11' hammock and get one of the mini-door tarps from Warbonnet. You get the protection of a 12' tarp with the ridgeline of an 11' tarp.
Yikes! I don't know why I keep thinking that my SuperFly has a 12' ridgeline when it's actually 11'. I must be confusing it with my first tarp, the Noah's 12'.

So now, my goal is to be comfortable in a 10' hammock with a 10' tarp. :)

Wmt90
06-24-2018, 09:56
It depends on what you like. I started with a hennessy exped asym, set it up in my yard. Laying in it I knew I couldn't go to the ground ever again. I did a bunch of research, and decided I wanted to cry once. Went with the blackbird and superfly. I have found I prefer the chameleon (bought one for girlfriend). Even though I've switched hammocks the BB is extremely comfy. IMHO I'd buy quality first if your even remotely sure you want to hammock camp.

Hefty Hanger
06-24-2018, 12:55
Theres a lot to take in here. I know summer is here and you probly want to get out there ASAP. But take your time, do your homework. Theres a ton of options for every aspect of hammock camping. This is a good place to start, but it can get overwhelming. Everyone likes something different and very rarely will you find 2 identical setups.

Ask yourself a few questions... What are some of your priorities? Price? Weight? Warmth? Ease of use? Can you sew? A lot of this stuff is super easy to DIY if your willing to try.

Are you car camping(staying in 1 specific place)? Are you hiking and sleeping on the trails? What time of the year are you doing this? Are you ok with tying knots or do you prefer the ease of hardware?

Going back to doing your homework, definitely look up Shug(Shugemery) on youtube. He has a ton of info on every aspect of hammock camping. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC27nqmEhKzD9YHK1IFwG7qA

Its easy to get caught up in all the light weight and Dutch blingy stuff people swear by here. But honestly, if your just car camping during the summer months you can get by pretty cheap. There a ton of DIY sites to make it even cheaper. Check out the DIY section here, its awesome!!!

If DIY is out of the question and your set on buying, at the very least buy a 10' hammock. You'll definitely need some warmth underneath. Super cheap is going with some sort of closed cell camping pad. kind of a pain getting them adjusted just right and keeping them there. Cheap sleeping bag and a tarp. Again...go look up Shug on the tarp stuff if you haven't already.