PDA

View Full Version : Remaining permethrin ?

noldhor
06-24-2018, 13:31
Hi everyone !

Ive just soaked some cloathes in permethrin, martin 10% diluted to 0.5%.

The remaining permethrin in my bucket turned black. Is it reusable ?

SilvrSurfr
06-24-2018, 13:50
Turned black? That ain't normal. Then again, I've never left my permethrin mixture exposed to the air (always inside a spray bottle or garden sprayer), and I always use it up within a week or so.

noldhor
06-24-2018, 14:30
In the martin bottle the permethrin was ok, sort of yellow color, but after soaking my clothes, the permethrin turned black, maybe the ink of my cloathes, or bugnet ?

Im wondering if the already used permethrin will remain effective if I use it later, 1 or 2 months...

Last year I kept it too in a spay bottle and used it a week or 2 later.

SilvrSurfr
06-24-2018, 14:49
Ahh - probably the ink in the clothes. Polyester doesn't bleed - are these cotton clothes?

In my experience, once mixed with water, the permethrin can lose its effectiveness in as little as three weeks. If you mix it, spray or soak the clothes, then the permethrin dries, you can get a few months out of it.

Five Tango
06-24-2018, 16:08
I use my leftover treatment water to spray fireants and other critters in my yard.

rhjanes
06-24-2018, 16:57
Mine also turned black. It was in a 5 gallon bucket, lid on, probably just a quart was left. It sort of got a film in it and was blackish. I didn't notice that for several months as I wasn't "watching" the bucket contents. I just poured it along a foundation. It kills termites..... Next batch I make, I'll just pour out when I'm done treating.

noldhor
06-24-2018, 17:04
Ahh - probably the ink in the clothes. Polyester doesn't bleed - are these cotton clothes?

In my experience, once mixed with water, the permethrin can lose its effectiveness in as little as three weeks. If you mix it, spray or soak the clothes, then the permethrin dries, you can get a few months out of it.

Yes, going to a 3 days canoe-camping this week, going to take it relax on the camp so yes, I treated some coton t-shirts.

My martin's permethrin bottle is empty so I guess I have to get a new one if I want to threat my clothes again in a 5 or 6 weeks.
Maybe it will last but I prefer to treat it again, im a real mosquitoes magnet

LuvmyBonnet
06-24-2018, 17:28
im a real mosquitoes magnet
I haven't tried it yet but I've heard about taking Apple Cider Vinegar to repel mozzies. I got some tablets I'm going to see if it helps up in Algonquin.

scrope
06-25-2018, 13:29

I'm curious as to what the water is doing to the Permethrin to make it lose effectiveness when you mix it. According to Sawyer, Permethrin can be stored indefinitely and what we buy is already diluted and not pure Permethrin.

<-Pointer
06-25-2018, 13:59
Yes, perfectly normal and you can still use it as long as the die isn't a problem. A soak will pick up some die from your clothes (especially if they are new/haven't been washed before.) Fire ant piles or the base of your foundation are also good uses for leftovers. A lot of professional pest removal companies use permethrin and it is an approved use.

SilvrSurfr
06-25-2018, 15:28
I'm curious as to what the water is doing to the Permethrin to make it lose effectiveness when you mix it. According to Sawyer, Permethrin can be stored indefinitely and what we buy is already diluted and not pure Permethrin.

Sawyer's literature definitely differs from my personal experience with Martin's. Then again, they make clothes with embedded Permethrin that claim it's good for 80 or 90 washings.

FJRpilot
06-25-2018, 20:51
Sawyer's literature definitely differs from my personal experience with Martin's. Then again, they make clothes with embedded Permethrin that claim it's good for 80 or 90 washings.

The military, uses a 40% solution and claims the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silentorpheus
06-26-2018, 09:31
When i mix up a batch, I usually treat my clothes, and then use the remainder to spray around the foundation of my house and shed, and a few key spots on the eaves (where wasps would ideally build nests). I've got a slab ranch, and it helps keep the pavement ants at bay, among other things.

I made a batch a few years ago in a bucket and soaked some clothes, and left the remainder covered in the bucket. It turned a murky grey after a little while - so perhaps that has something to do with the dilution.

scrope
06-26-2018, 15:01
The military, uses a 40% solution and claims the same.

While looking for support for the 40% (which is very high compared to the Saywer spray) I found this page: https://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/envirohealth/epm/Pages/DoD-Insect-Repellent-System.aspx

which talks about the DoD Insect Repellent System. My favorite line is "The DoD insect repellent system is used against arthropods of military significance."

For people worried about Permethrin, they say:

- There are no know adverse health risk associated with wearing the OCP Permethrin treated uniform.

- Safety testing of permethrin has been conducted almost continuously since the 1970's, following its Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) registration for use with a variety of applications including food/feed crops, livestock, Public Health mosquito abatement programs, pets, and clothing.

And since I hate ticks so much, I offer this video to make you smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmhX6fY3KBY

FJRpilot
06-26-2018, 18:40
While looking for support for the 40% (which is very high compared to the Saywer spray) I found this page: https://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/envirohealth/epm/Pages/DoD-Insect-Repellent-System.aspx

And since I hate ticks so much, I offer this video to make you smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmhX6fY3KBY

Boom.... take that....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donig
06-26-2018, 20:46
The only way watching ticks die on permethrin treated clothes could be more satisfying is if they burst into flames and screamed.

markhait
06-27-2018, 19:34
I bought a bottle of permethrin from tractor supply a few years ago. Maybe even 5 years. I never opened the container and it is still yellow in color, is it still ok to use? Will it be as effective?

FJRpilot
06-27-2018, 19:40
I bought a bottle of permethrin from tractor supply a few years ago. Maybe even 5 years. I never opened the container and it is still yellow in color, is it still ok to use? Will it be as effective?

I’m pretty sure it’s still good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilvrSurfr
06-27-2018, 20:29

I had a bottle for 20 years. Worked great even at the end!

noldhor
07-01-2018, 07:30

Just came back from a 3 days hiking with 2 of my diy, we had wonderful days!

Treated clothes with permethrin helped a lot, I think its the first time I come back from the forest with almost no bites, maybe 8 to 10 only :)

OneClick
07-03-2018, 14:42

Nice and piney :)