PDA

View Full Version : Treklight Versatrek for Breaks & Camp Chair

Btdkd
08-04-2018, 09:27
Hey Folks,

I know that all the UL experts say NO CHAIRS. Hey, I’m 60 and sitting on logs or rocks gets really old, really fast. Also, ain’t now way I’ll be able to churn out 20 mile days... which means, I’ll be spending some time on the side of the trail resting my legs and feet.

Been trying to get creative with a solution. Came across this Versatrek chair / swing. It, paired with Whoopie slings is pretty darn light. I’m thinking it might be a justifiable luxury trail item for this old man.

Note: I had considered getting out my Blackbird for breaks but, I can envision it getting wet, etc...

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Shrewd
08-04-2018, 09:32
If it’s worth it to you it’s worth it, but I’ve always been comfortable with dropping my buttpad on a rock or log for breaks.

It’s also used for foot insulation (I use a 3/4 length UQ)

Ohoopee
08-04-2018, 09:48
I camp 3 to 6 miles backcountry about 10 times a year. Im 55 and really like a chair around camp. I switched from helinox
Chair One to their Zero chair. Saved about a pound. I got the foot pad to make it more stable and that cut weight savings a tad.

johnspenn
08-04-2018, 09:49
The thing that keeps me away from "hammock chairs" is the setup/takedown necessary to use them. Plus it may take some additional scouting to find the right trees to use them on. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you don't mind the extra steps, then it's a good option. I would recommend looking at some of our cottage vendors, who offer them as options as well.

The Helinox Chair Zero weighs in at 1 lb and is quite a bit more expensive (100ish dollars) but is quickly set up and broken down for easy trail use, and you can pretty much use it anywhere. You could get a Stansport (or similar) stool like Shug and some others use from time to time, pretty lightweight and much more inexpensive. No back support (unless maybe against a tree) but comfy.

Here's a very light option that uses your trekking poles (if you use those) as a back support and you sit on the ground.
https://www.litesmith.com/qwikback-ul-chair/

When you get old like me and you sometimes getting up and down off the ground isn't as easy as it used to be =)

They all have their pluses and minuses. Sometimes I take a little tripod stool from REI, and sometimes not, I just sit on the ground or a rock or log. As mentioned before, depends on the trip and what I'm trying to accomplish. Good luck!

cmoulder
08-04-2018, 09:53
Hey Folks,

I know that all the UL experts say NO CHAIRS. Hey, I’m 60 and sitting on logs or rocks gets really old, really fast. Also, ain’t now way I’ll be able to churn out 20 mile days... which means, I’ll be spending some time on the side of the trail resting my legs and feet.

Been trying to get creative with a solution. Came across this Versatrek chair / swing. It, paired with Whoopie slings is pretty darn light. I’m thinking it might be a justifiable luxury trail item for this old man.

Note: I had considered getting out my Blackbird for breaks but, I can envision it getting wet, etc...

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

Not for me (I'm 62), but if people want to carry chairs (or Dutch ovens or whatever) I don't care one way or the other—I'm not carrying it.

Now if they start asking about how to reduce pack weight, that's another story! :laugh:

Shug
08-04-2018, 09:54
I tried a hammock chair for breaks but took too much time. I like my breaks to be short. So inspired by my buddy Hickery I started carrying a stool.
Never do I sit for long. Deploys instantly. Easy to use to put boots on.
17 ounces. $20
I too am 60.

Shug

https://youtu.be/AuHHdWVOLD8

Tikker
08-04-2018, 11:04
I've also been contemplating the Hickory stool

Two Tents
08-04-2018, 11:30
Another plus of the fold out fabric stool type seat, like mentioned above, is with a practice sit or two it is fine spot to perch over a cat hole.

Ohoopee
08-04-2018, 12:01
I have one from Kifaru similar to the litesmith it does provide
back support but too low for me. "shug stool" I use for bow
hunting from the ground. Lower back pain issues have
led me to try a lot of different ones.

I did pick up " American
Camp Chair" from auction site. My fav car camp chair. Nostalgic
memories from Grandparents.

Heavyhiker
08-04-2018, 12:28
I use the REI Flexlite chair. It's not the lightest chair our there, but I have been using it about 5 years now and it's held up great. While it is a pain to set up so I don't use it that often for breaks while hiking, it's great for when you are around camp. I am 56 and I enjoy having a chair that is both off the ground and has a back to it. Hiking with the Boy Scouts, we are not doing any ultralight backpacking anyways :)

Btdkd
08-04-2018, 12:40
Okay, I’m convinced. Getting one ASAP!

By the way, Gibson F5?

MAD777
08-04-2018, 12:45
I'm 66 and always pack either stool or chair.
When we are a group & don't hike far, nor need to carry lots of heavy water, the REI/HELINOX style chair comes, because much time is spent around the campfire. Useless for trail breaks but comfy in camp.

Solo or long miles, it's the Shug/Hickory type stool. Super handy for multiple, quick trail-side breaks (much needed these days). After all that hiking, I'll soon be in my hammock after dinner. But the stool is still very useful in camp while cooking & changing clothes, etc.

A few years ago I posted a comparison of 4 types of seats. Maybe I can find a link. I think I titled it, "Stool Samples." :rolleyes:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

soul embrace
08-04-2018, 18:34
I have this one: https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p446/Bushman_Hammock_Chair.html
and this one: https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p633/Kickback_Hammock_Chair.html

both made by arrowhead equipment and I like the kickback the best because it's wider

Big Flounder
08-04-2018, 18:48
I've thought about a hammock chair but like others said, I'd prefer a quicker set up for taking breaks and such. Unfortunately, I weigh 265 pounds and a lot of the backpacking chairs have a maximum weight rating of that or less. So I'm still shopping. I thought about the Litesmith chair but a friend here told me he had one and it's not very comfortable, and he weighs probably 100 pounds less than I do. So I can't imagine it would be comfy for a guy my size. Something similar to the Litesmith that looks like it might be more comfy is the Alite Meadow Rest. At almost two pounds, it's an option I guess. For some reason I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger yet. Think I'm still holding out for something more like the Helinox chairs with a higher max weight rating. Or even something like the Stansport like Shugs uses, but with a higher max weight rating as well. If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

https://alitedesigns.com/collections/park/products/2018-meadow-rest-waterproof-lounger-baker-blue

rweb82
08-04-2018, 18:52
Here's my new and improved DIY Jerry chair. It weighs under 2oz, and uses my trekking poles as support, and my Thermarest Lite sit pad for the bottom. It's very sturdy and comfortable.

I added a couple grommets on the bottom to add two loops of Zing-It which allows me to stake the bottom in place to keep it from sliding forward when I sit down. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/468965b58580665475d24e066258ed87.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/a85d7812cea5322003306e25ba1b4665.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Draketake
08-04-2018, 19:05
rwweb ingenious chair. Super sweet. Wish I could use something like that. However for an older dude like me, getting up off the ground is becoming more cumbersome, each year.

I am a Hickery/Shug stool convert. The Stansport stool has been a great piece of gear. I even carry a spare one in my truck. Takes up zero space, weighs almost nothing and can be used as a great "side table"while in the hammock.

Big Flounder there is an older model of this stool, for heavier people. Keep your eyes open at yard sales/Amazon. The fabric is made of a thicker canvas like material, not unlike the material used for making Wall Tents. For that matter, you could also mod a newer stool, using a piece of canvas or even leather.

I think the older stool was made by Stansport. I think it was sold at Sears or Woolworth Stores.

Be safe.

Ohoopee
08-04-2018, 19:17
Helinox chair one xl? . Rated for 320. I think most of the chair ones are rated 320lbs. I have the Chair one, Sunset and the Zero. The chair one xl is higher off the ground than the chair one and zero which is a nice feature. Alite Mayfly (250llb rated) is comfy but low to the ground also.

I've thought about a hammock chair but like others said, I'd prefer a quicker set up for taking breaks and such. Unfortunately, I weigh 265 pounds and a lot of the backpacking chairs have a maximum weight rating of that or less. So I'm still shopping. I thought about the Litesmith chair but a friend here told me he had one and it's not very comfortable, and he weighs probably 100 pounds less than I do. So I can't imagine it would be comfy for a guy my size. Something similar to the Litesmith that looks like it might be more comfy is the Alite Meadow Rest. At almost two pounds, it's an option I guess. For some reason I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger yet. Think I'm still holding out for something more like the Helinox chairs with a higher max weight rating. Or even something like the Stansport like Shugs uses, but with a higher max weight rating as well. If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

https://alitedesigns.com/collections/park/products/2018-meadow-rest-waterproof-lounger-baker-blue

rweb82
08-04-2018, 19:48
rwweb ingenious chair. Super sweet. Wish I could use something like that. However for an older dude like me, getting up off the ground is becoming more cumbersome, each year.

I am a Hickery/Shug stool convert. The Stansport stool has been a great piece of gear. I even carry a spare one in my truck. Takes up zero space, weighs almost nothing and can be used as a great "side table"while in the hammock.

Big Flounder there is an older model of this stool, for heavier people. Keep your eyes open at yard sales/Amazon. The fabric is made of a thicker canvas like material, not unlike the material used for making Wall Tents. For that matter, you could also mod a newer stool, using a piece of canvas or even leather.

I think the older stool was made by Stansport. I think it was sold at Sears or Woolworth Stores.

Be safe.I hear ya! I almost purchased the Stansport chair; but ultimately decided that I really like having a backrest after a long day of hiking. You can also sit this chair on a log, and extend the trekking poles to reach the ground behind you, and actually have an elevated chair with full back support and a cushoined bottom.

Shug
08-04-2018, 20:25
Okay, I’m convinced. Getting one ASAP!

By the way, Gibson F5?
It is an F5-G.
made in 1996.

Draketake
08-05-2018, 09:38
rwweb,

Got it. The back support is a welcome perk. Didnt think of elevating your chair.

HandyRandy
08-05-2018, 12:27
A bear can is a great stool! And much more multipurpose. It can serve as a clothes washing machine and a stove table. Makes a good helmet too if you got a transparent version and a small head.

TominMN
08-05-2018, 13:54
A bear can is a great stool! And much more multipurpose. It can serve as a clothes washing machine and a stove table. Makes a good helmet too if you got a transparent version and a small head.

And a great toy for the bears as well.

MAD777
08-06-2018, 00:19
You guys are funny! [emoji3]

Btdkd
08-07-2018, 13:42
It is an F5-G.
made in 1996.

I bought a Gibson F5 mandolin but it was a much later year... sadly, Gibson’s quality had greatly declined by then so I didn’t hang on to it. I’m glad I didn’t now because I’m back to picking guitar primarily.

Shug
08-07-2018, 13:56
I bought a Gibson F5 mandolin but it was a much later year... sadly, Gibson’s quality had greatly declined by then so I didn’t hang on to it. I’m glad I didn’t now because I’m back to picking guitar primarily.
Mine was the last Bruce Weber built Gibsons before Bruce started Weber mandolins.

Btdkd
08-07-2018, 14:03
Mine was the last Bruce Weber built Gibsons before Bruce started Weber mandolins.

I believe it. Great tone and super nice chop!

Btdkd
08-07-2018, 14:06
Oh, that little Treklight chair thingy came in, even though I thought I'd cancelled the order through Amazon. I'm glad it did... it is super light and pretty darn comfortable. I'm gonna whip up some whoopies for it and I think I'll carry it. May carry the camp stool too, by gosh.

ObdewlaX
08-07-2018, 14:55
After all these years, I still prefer my Z Seat sit pad. Super light, easy to stow & quick to deploy.

raftingtigger
08-31-2018, 19:09
I have the Heliox Chair Zero that I lightened up by an ounce or so by remaking the fabric part - it wasn't comfortable for me (too narrow at the hips)as it was, now it is. On my last trip I found another reason to add the 16 oz to my pack. While hiking the chair sits inverted over my head and makes a great sunbrella. Much cooler than a hat.

I too am of the age were a few simple comforts like elevated sitting and a backrest can make or break a trip.

ChrisJHC
09-01-2018, 03:37
You can always go old school:
https://www.distinctlybritish.com/shooting-sticks-walking-seats-c102x2201032

GadgetUK437
09-02-2018, 01:35
My take on the Jerry chairm

https://youtu.be/QBMI1vO2bTs
(g'on, it's only 1:28s of your life)

MAD777
09-02-2018, 04:28
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm sitting on the ground, then it's not a "chair." A piece of fabric or foam under me doesn't make it a "chair."

Label me young enough to get down, but too old to get up! LOL

brianb
09-02-2018, 08:04
I have to agree with @ johnspenn and @Ohoopee. The style of chair they've mentioned I've always called a Jerry Chair. You can DIY one up really quick or you can buy them from various sources. Mountainsmith (https://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-SlingBack-Chair/dp/B078WM9YCV) sells one for under $20 and Molly Mac Gear (http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/5-in-1-jerry-chair/) sells an insulated one that can also be used as an underquilt. I normally make mine from waterproof fabric and they come in way under an ounce. You need trekking poles to make them work, but I take them anyway. Good luck.

rweb82
09-02-2018, 08:36
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm sitting on the ground, then it's not a "chair." A piece of fabric or foam under me doesn't make it a "chair."

Label me young enough to get down, but too old to get up! LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkAnd I would also say that if it doesn't have a backrest, then it's not a chair either. It's a stool. And if you want to carry a chair with a backrest, you're looking at an extra 1.5-2lbs of weight in your pack at a minimum. I guess we also have to ask ourselves if we're young enough to carry the added weight for long-distance hiking. I did mention earlier that you can use the Jerry chair design on a log or large rock to elevate it off the ground. Then just lengthen the trekking poles to reach the ground. Then you get a fully-elevated chair with a backrest for about 2oz.

Different strokes for different folks. But when I'm tired after a long day of hiking, I'd rather have something to rest my back against- even if it means having to sit mostly on the ground (or in my case, with a nice pad underneath), than to be elevated, but never fully able to relax because I'm on a stool.

Brewbud
09-04-2018, 18:51

REI Flexlite Macro Chair is very comfortable for big guys. I didn't find the Helinox chairs comfortable for me. It has a 300LB rating but it is heavy 2lb 9oz so it only makes it on out / camp / back trips for me. It usually stays in my Jeep or truck.

https://www.rei.com/product/114354/rei-co-op-flexlite-macro-chair

Obiecamper
09-04-2018, 22:49
Mountainsmith sling back trekking pole chair may be an option

MikekiM
09-05-2018, 05:34
Options... I like options.

ThermaRest sit pad is ALWAYS with me. Drop it where-ever and take a load off. Only an ounce so never a second thought.

For car camping.. it an Alite Monarch at a beastly 19oz (two points of ground contact so lighter than a standard chair)

For backpacking where camp is just a few miles in, I will lug a mini Grand Trunk folding stool at 10.5oz.

For distances, I'll take the Litesmith QwikBack at 3 ounces. I'm 56, but getting up from the ground is still very doable. Pair it with the sit pad and I am good to go.

I do have a hammock chair from AHE. It's nice to set it up on breaks when with a group.. it's a novelty. One of these days I am going to figure out how to use it as a gear loft. However, I do have to carry a dedicated suspension for it. The whole thing is about 4oz depending on the suspension choice.. usually kevlar straps and a few lengths of Dynaglide with Ti Loop Aliens on the chairs CL's.