PDA

View Full Version : Canada->Ontario->EGL->2018 Canoeing Season > Autumn Trout'n Leaves Hang Sept 24-30, 2018

Chard
08-14-2018, 12:03
Chicamoula anyone?
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/algonws2009_039b.jpg

Autumn Trout'n Leaves Trip

Late September/Early October: Algonquin Weeklonger's/Marshmallow rendezvous
When: Mon Sept 24 - Sun Sept 30, 2018. Hopefully we'll have some fall colour
Where: Weeklongers - Midweek - Canoe L. to McIntosh, Marshmallows - Weekend Canoe to Tom Thomson
Notes: Long paddle into Tom Thomson followed by 2.3 km portage to McIntosh. I've never seen a fish caught on Tom Thomson.
Opportunities: Rationalize gear (eg. stoves, tarps, axes and saws)
Meal Ideas: Group soups or not? Food caches/resupply for Weeklongers

Note: All that being said, I'm personally inclined towards a Thu Sept 27 - Sun Sept 30 single destination of Chicamoula on McIntosh. Burning too many spouse points this season.

KeeWayKeno
08-14-2018, 16:37
I'm in for the 'Full Monty'.

Bringing no food but a handful of rice & relying on fish to sustain me.

What could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Bubba
08-15-2018, 21:10
Marshmallow here. Should be in for the weekend.

BigGreenMoose
08-15-2018, 22:00
Might be in for Canoe to Thompson during the week. Gotta be home Friday for my wife's birthday on the weekend.

Niagara
08-16-2018, 05:30
possible marshmellow.

Lofty
08-18-2018, 07:43
Possibly in for a few days mid week.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Iguana
08-18-2018, 11:24

Error, error,....Does not compute! :crying

Me and My +2 are in For the 28th to 30th...

BigGreenMoose
08-18-2018, 12:07

I think Chard just means "rationalize bringing your own gear even though everyone else probably packed one."

🤣

Niagara
08-18-2018, 20:27
ratio...rational... ra... whatever... I don't get it....

Mrs Niagara is on board and will be joining... we will be using our flat ground-type hammocks.... almost like you're touching the earth. :jj: We are thinking in on Thursday possibly (with some re-supply item requests). Been a while since we've done Algonquin. looking to forward to see what pans out.
Niagara

Chard
08-24-2018, 17:44
On Poll: "Nothing. I prefer to participate" should be "Nothing. I prefer not to participate"

KeeWayKeno
08-25-2018, 08:01
On Poll: "Nothing. I prefer to participate" should be "Nothing. I prefer not to participate"Well that was cryptic. You'll have to 'splain to me around the campfire.

LuvmyBonnet
08-25-2018, 11:39
Some questions. The week long trip would be Canoe-Joe-Tepee-Little Oxtongue River-Tom Thomson- McIntosh and back? I'll have to see how my foot and leg progress before committing to that 2390m portage.
No fish caught on Tom Thomson?!? Don't like the idea of back to back skunked trips.
I might have to be an extended marshmallow. Maybe Sept 26-30 in the Tom Thomson,Little doe, Joe Lake area.

Chard
08-25-2018, 12:09
Some questions. The week long trip would be Canoe-Joe-Tepee-Little Oxtongue River-Tom Thomson- McIntosh and back? I'll have to see how my foot and leg progress before committing to that 2390m portage.
No fish caught on Tom Thomson?!? Don't like the idea of back to back skunked trips.
I might have to be an extended marshmallow. Maybe Sept 26-30 in the Tom Thomson,Little doe, Joe Lake area.

Hiya. You've got the route right. It's a long paddle with one short portage, a hop over a beaver dam that's been there since the dawn of time and then a long but fairly level portage into Ink L..

I suppose that there's fish in TT, but I've never seen one.

KeeWayKeno
08-25-2018, 16:17
Some questions. The week long trip would be Canoe-Joe-Tepee-Little Oxtongue River-Tom Thomson- McIntosh and back? I'll have to see how my foot and leg progress before committing to that 2390m portage.I'm planning to go in the 24th, no problem meeting you at the Tom Thomson end of the portage on the 26th & help get you over. You really don't want to miss McIntosh.

Chard
08-25-2018, 17:31
I'm planning to go in the 24th, no problem meeting you at the Tom Thomson end of the portage on the 26th & help get you over. You really don't want to miss McIntosh.

For what it's worth, I'm looking at attempting the TomT-Ink portage on the morning of the Thursday the 27th, and will probably be caching most of my food at the TomT end of the portage.

ggreaves
08-25-2018, 18:31
For what it's worth, I'm looking at attempting the TomT-Ink portage on the morning of the Thursday the 27th, and will probably be caching most of my food at the TomT end of the portage.

will there be any cash in your cache?

BigGreenMoose
08-25-2018, 19:41
Do you weeklongers plan/recommend to push right through to McIntosh in one day, or stopping for a night along the way?

Your advice would be welcome as I've never done Canoe to McIntosh. It looks challenging but doable in a single day if I'm reading the map right.

Just trying to plan things so I don't burn through all my spousal shore leave, but still get in a bit of group fun.

Chard
08-25-2018, 20:49
Do you weeklongers plan/recommend to push right through to McIntosh in one day, or stopping for a night along the way?

Your advice would be welcome as I've never done Canoe to McIntosh. It looks challenging but doable in a single day if I'm reading the map right.

Just trying to plan things so I don't burn through all my spousal shore leave, but still get in a bit of group fun.

Canoe to McIntosh is roughly a five to six hour trip however that can be shortened a bit with single carries across the portages and some hard paddling. Granted I was in better shape, but we used to do it regularly back in the day.

It'd be nice to see McIntosh and Chicamoula again. Lovely spot, even if it's just overnight.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_3820.jpg
A particularly cold, windy, miserable early spring day on Chicamoula back in 2009. That shelter would soon have four sides and become a smokehouse from hell. Best cinnamon rolls ever though! Oh yeah, I built that backrest on the regulation Algonquin log seat. Luxury!

76 highboy
08-27-2018, 12:03
Planning for the extended marshmellow tour at this point. 27th to 30th

BUT.....things could change. :laugh:

Chard
08-27-2018, 14:37
Thanks for the highlights!

Nice job as always Chard.

Report moved to proper thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/147577-Canada-gt-Ontario-gt-EGL-gt-2018-Canoeing-Season-gt-French-River-Hang-Aug-3-6-2018?p=1914623).

Bubba
08-27-2018, 14:47
Thanks for the highlights!

KeeWayKeno
08-27-2018, 15:00
Nice job as always Chard.

LuvmyBonnet
08-28-2018, 10:09
Being as this will probably be my last paddle/camp trip till Summer of 19' I'm thinking going for the extended weeklonger. I'm considering going in Saturday the 22nd paddling to TT, hit the big portage Sunday morning and stay on McIntosh for 4 days and then head out to meet marshmallows on TT on Thursday. Stay till Monday, maybe throw in a day trip to Littledoe, Barlett or Kooy pond at some point.
What is this Chicamoula you speak of?

Chard
08-28-2018, 10:56
What is this Chicamoula you speak of?

I'll tell you when we meet again!

Niagara
08-28-2018, 16:30
So Mrs N. and I will be paddling in for Thursday morning heading straight to TT to turtle-paddle around and relax / fish / nap till Sunday.
Will be booking by the weekend I would think.
Q? Anybody have any history / info on the 2 sites on TT that are on the point at the south end on the right hand side (looking at Jeff's map).
Niagara

Chard
08-28-2018, 17:06
So Mrs N. and I will be paddling in for Thursday morning heading straight to TT to turtle-paddle around and relax / fish / nap till Sunday.
Will be booking by the weekend I would think.
Q? Anybody have any history / info on the 2 sites on TT that are on the point at the south end on the right hand side (looking at Jeff's map).
Niagara

Maybe I'll see you Thursday morning!

As for the sites, I'm assuming you're talking about the 3rd and 4th sites on the right as you paddle in. If I recall, they're nice but a little steep. No biggie, we'll have to pitch our hammocks back a ways. The fact that they're so close is nice, we'll just want to get there early to make sure we snag them.

Incidentally, our first ever EGL hang was on the next site on the right (the 5th) on the far side of the small channel that leads to Bartlett Lake. Keep it in mind as a backup; it has plenty of space and a open grassy area (insert shameless plug for my old videos from that trip here). Nice seeing some familiar faces. Stupid Bugs! You can actually see the point holding the 3rd and 4th campsites at minutes 5:35 and 9:00 of the second video.

jKFqLRoRYjw

HURIVA4vysk

Niagara
08-28-2018, 19:12
cool thanks for posting Chard!

Niagara

KeeWayKeno
08-28-2018, 19:51
I'm going to head up Saturday, 22nd. If Luvmybonnet hooks up with me, we'll overnight on Thomson then head in to McIntosh Sunday. Find the fabled Chicamoula, Holy Grail of hammocking campsites.

Explore. Fish. Paint. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

Wednesday dawdle back to Thomson to snag prime adjoining campsites for Marshmallows. Fight off bears. (Seriously. Last time there we were plagued nightly by habituated bears cruising for midnight snacks.)

Fish. Grill. Laugh. Sleep. Repeat.

Reluctantly depart on Monday.

***Thinking of bringing my fiddle. (My wife says I am "enthusiastically awful".) Any interest in some impromptu fireside jam sessions? Guaranteed to scare the bears away.

Chard
08-28-2018, 20:08
Let me try to break this down...

I'm going to head up Saturday, 22nd. If Luvmybonnet hooks up with me, we'll overnight on Thomson then head in to McIntosh Sunday. Find the fabled Chimicoula, Holy Grail of hammocking campsites.

Explore. Fish. Paint. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.
Sounds like fun. Chicamoula? "Second star to the right, and straight on till morning"

Wednesday dawdle back to Thomson to snag prime adjoining campsites for Marshmallows. Fight off bears. (Seriously. Last time there we were plagued nightly by habituated bears cruising for midnight snacks.)

You said watt dere? On second thought, camera trap, maybe the old "Bacon under the hammock" trick. Where's Kasuko when you need him?

Fish. Grill. Laugh. Sleep. Repeat.

Reluctantly depart on Monday.

Amen. A solid lollygag!

***Thinking of bringing my fiddle. (My wife says I am "enthusiastically awful".) Any interest in some impromptu fireside jam sessions? Guaranteed to scare the bears away.

If you bring your fiddle, I'll bring my recorder! That'll keep 'dem dang bruins away!

76 highboy
08-28-2018, 20:14
Well. I always wanted to hear a recorder,fiddle and a ukelele at the same time.

Chard
08-28-2018, 20:40
Well. I always wanted to hear a recorder,fiddle and a ukelele at the same time.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6oB82jqxoP4/hqdefault.jpg

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/egl_s.jpg

EGL - Eagles! Get it?! LOL. :lol::lol::lol:

BigGreenMoose
08-28-2018, 21:16
cool thanks for posting Chard!

NiagaraThat's cool... never seen these before. Having joined up fairly recently, it's interesting to recognize you guys in these videos.

Giblets, you look like you've been getting younger since these videos were shot!

Faces come and go over the years, but it's nice to see the group's friendly and open spirit remains!

Thanks for posting these Chard!

Chard
08-29-2018, 00:53
Question: How would clam chowder made with big old smoked ham hocks taste?

Answer: Awesome!!!!!!

LuvmyBonnet
08-29-2018, 10:02
I can also make about a gallon of Creamy Potato soup with bacon if there is a soup pot for me to use one of the nights.
I'm also not leaving Algonquin this time till I catch a fish.

Niagara
08-29-2018, 18:30
I got ahead of myself - Reservation made for 3 nights on Tom Thomson. (Th-Sun)
Niagara

Kasuko
09-06-2018, 07:46
I guess I'd like to tag along as well. Though I will probably just be out for the weekend portion, my back only ever barely makes it through the trip and I really don't want to push it.

Also I will begin my usual begging, if anyone has an empty bow seat in a canoe for the Tom Tomson to McIntosh portion over the weekend, I'd be happy to sit in it and do my best imitation of paddling!

Oh and do you guys need me to bring any bacon? I'd be happy to carry it in! :lol:

Lofty
09-06-2018, 12:31
It's looking like I'm in for Monday Sept 24 - Paddle Canoe to MacIntosh. Then I have to get back out on Wednesday Sept 26

Cheers

KeeWayKeno
09-08-2018, 08:18
On Poll: "Nothing. I prefer to participate" should be "Nothing. I prefer not to participate"

Ah, now all is clear. Just saw the group supper poll on the desktop. For some reason that didn't show up on Tapatalk.

KeeWayKeno
09-10-2018, 08:28
Hey guys ... a little off topic but need your experience with something I've never seen before.

Made a batch of chili to dehydrate for this trip. Used Costco canned chicken as the meat & a new six-bean mix instead of kidney beans, otherwise same as always. It's been dehydrating now for almost 22 hours at 160 degrees.

This morning noticed a white mystery substance on some portions that are still moist. It isn't hard or crusty like salt, possibly just starch from the six-bean mix I used ... but, I dunno.

Is it possibly mould? Can that even happen so quickly and at this temperature? Will I die if I eat it or should I let Luvmybonnet try it first to be sure it's safe?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180910/eaae0f55feb62e78d504b9ae083ce362.jpg

Chard
09-10-2018, 09:26
Hey guys ... a little off topic but need your experience with something I've never seen before.

Made a batch of chili to dehydrate for this trip. Used Costco canned chicken as the meat & a new six-bean mix instead of kidney beans, otherwise same as always. It's been dehydrating now for almost 22 hours at 160 degrees.

This morning noticed a white mystery substance on some portions that are still moist. It isn't hard or crusty like salt, possibly just starch from the six-bean mix I used ... but, I dunno.

Is it possibly mould? Can that even happen so quickly and at this temperature? Will I die if I eat it or should I let Luvmybonnet try it first to be sure it's safe?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180910/eaae0f55feb62e78d504b9ae083ce362.jpg

Quick google search brought up this thread over at WhiteBlaze.net (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/95348-Mold-grew-in-my-dehydrator-overnight-anything-I-can-do).

Unfortunately I think you might have to go for a full disinfect! Check the airflow.

LuvmyBonnet is a tough old coot; likely he'll be asking for seconds while you're on all fours yaking.

Niagara
09-10-2018, 12:00

Will I die if I eat it or should I let Luvmybonnet try it first to be sure it's safe?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180910/eaae0f55feb62e78d504b9ae083ce362.jpg

Hhhhmmmm.... one vote for chili on the food poll I see....

76 highboy
09-10-2018, 14:48
Ahh, its problably just starch or something. I'll be the guinea pig.:scared:
Nothing some boiling water cant fix.
Sure looks good!

Chard
09-10-2018, 16:04
Quick google search brought up this thread over at WhiteBlaze.net (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/95348-Mold-grew-in-my-dehydrator-overnight-anything-I-can-do).

Unfortunately I think you might have to go for a full disinfect! Check the airflow.

LuvmyBonnet is a tough old coot; likely he'll be asking for seconds while you're on all fours yaking.

Looking at the parchment paper, it looks like to be trimmed very close to the rim of the round tray. I might venture to say too close and perhaps there wasn't enough space (say 5mm) to allow for even air circulation. I know that my commercial round trays do have a fir bit of room at the edges.

76Highboy is a little crazy. FDA on mould (https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/molds-on-food-are-they-dangerous_/!ut/p/a1/jVFha8IwEP0t-1C_SJrUOtFBGaVsTDcVKdtqv0hqL22gTVyS6rpfv6iMsaGbCYG Xd-8u7y44xQlOBd3yghouBa3293SwIgsy8EYRmcxH3j0Zz14W88co IsP42gqWfwhm_oX5Z1ZI_sufXPBAT02jaYHTDTUl4oJJnBRgEB V6B0rjhEmZI00ZmBYxujZIlwDGBvYcOkRLKvKKiwIntaxyjaQ4 8lQBMiW0KKeiACUbvcKvOP1pinh2j2d-3H-YzHwy7_8WnJjaUXB-LLbvopLZ4YuWocj8oW1QAQMFym2UpUtjNjcOcUijc6qBqnXp7q FbyK1DjsRtY9gwcLy7nmON2ON3KGO84tRAwDTXnbcGVBuErKJG vnOhu1x0MwDWWcu65sZ9D7zBF26_cRAf6p8yV0ptcHLCFN7Uz8 nHU8jiMUqzdnf1CSQ96ts!/#16). I love the distinction between foods you'd keep or discard. some of the foods.

BigGreenMoose
09-10-2018, 18:41
I'd say mould as well. [emoji1785]

Regrettably, I need to bail on the Autumn trip... Vacation days evaporated.

I eagerly await your fall photos and backwoods tales.

Chicamoula waits...

Side note...if you have a strong dehydrator recommendation, please PM me.

76 highboy
09-10-2018, 18:48
After reading that blurb by the fda I'd say lets get "mikey" to try it first!

Chard
09-10-2018, 19:05
Mikey!?! He won't eat it! He hates everything!

Chomp chomp..

Hey Mikey! He likes it! He likes it!

vYEXzx-TINc

LOL! I remember half of those toys at the end!!!

Lofty
09-10-2018, 19:13
Hey I might eat it :)

Chard
09-11-2018, 18:19
Howdy,

Just added a new tab to the EGL 2018 Google Sheet titled Fall 2018 (link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x8z9kKvyVQRZRctpWkWVzsYZTRaZ5OVewKAKFTzHt-E/edit?usp=sharing)). Please take a moment to confirm in Column O and/make any changes necessary.

Looks like there's 15 people on Tom Thomson, so I've tried to balance the group into weeklongers and marshmallows. There's room for 3 more before we need a new permit.

Update: At this rate we might need a third permit!

mrcheviot
09-12-2018, 11:55
I love the streamlined organization and the formula laden signup sheet, well done!

Unfortunately I'm going to have to pass this year, I'm on duty with our 4 month old. I'm going to chisel the corresponding dates in stone for next year and get some Adirondack paddles under my belt in the meantime.

Have a great trip!

Niagara
09-12-2018, 18:16
[QUOTE=Chard;1918471]Howdy,

Just added a new tab to the EGL 2018 Google Sheet titled Fall 2018 (link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x8z9kKvyVQRZRctpWkWVzsYZTRaZ5OVewKAKFTzHt-E/edit?usp=sharing)). Please take a moment to confirm in Column O and/make any changes necessary.

Looks like there's 15 people on Tom Thomson, so I've tried to balance the group into weeklongers and marshmallows. There's room for 3 more before we need a new permit.

I booked my permit for 6 (six) so 4 remaining spots but can revise / change if need be - have added to the speadsheet.
Niagara

Jiblets
09-13-2018, 00:02

KeeWayKeno - I agree with Chard's assessment. It's mold.

I'd also suggest you measure the temp in your dehydrator.

There was a paper about 10 yrs back(I think from the University of Wisconsin) about consumer dehydrators, and it basically boiled down to models without temperature control and forced air circulation were not reliable. At the time, they only recommended Excalibur and Nesco/American Harvest, but I'm sure there are plenty reliable Brands/models out there now.

I tested my temps when I first got my Nesco, but I have to admit I haven't checked it since. For me, typical times are 8-14 hours, my pepperoni sticks only take about 4 hours, but that has nitrates/nitrites in it. Chili is usually done in about 12-14 hrs (dry overnight, peel off the tray, flip and back in for a few more hours).

If your chili takes 24hrs to dry, I'd be worried about how much time your Dehydrator spends moonlighting as an Incubator. :scared:

Jiblets
09-13-2018, 01:18
Chikamoula Spring 2015

Is it too early to call "Dibbs" on trees?

Chard
09-13-2018, 09:32
Chikamoula Spring 2015

Is it too early to call "Dibbs" on trees?

LOL! That's like calling "dibbs" on all of the pineapple chunks in a bag of gorp! Besides, isn't that your hammock in the picture?

Lofty
09-14-2018, 16:01
KeeWayKeno
Do you know what site you might be on Macintosh?
Or should I just paddle in and start hooting and holloring !!!

Also - Im 99% sure I'm in - I know there's no cell service there so if by chance I don't make it - don't worry - I probably ended up having to work or did something to end up in the doghouse [emoji3]

KeeWayKeno
09-17-2018, 08:09
KeeWayKeno
Do you know what site you might be on Macintosh?
Or should I just paddle in and start hooting and holloring !!!

Also - Im 99% sure I'm in - I know there's no cell service there so if by chance I don't make it - don't worry - I probably ended up having to work or did something to end up in the doghouse [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel using TapatalkWe are hoping to score the famous Chicamoula Island ... I've never been but have been told it is the northernmost island with a campsite. If that doesn't work out, likely one of the other two islands or a sunny point along the east shore. There are a few that look promising.

The official "Woooo Buddy!!" will also work.

Chard
09-19-2018, 08:32
Hey gang.

Countdown time!

Based on the poll, it looks like we're doing FC Pea Soup and Chow'da. I'll take care of the ingredients for both but I'd ask that everyone partaking in the Chow'da bring in as many potatoes as they want to eat (2-3 med potatoes). I'll be bringing in my large pot; it doesn't have a bail, but we can always rig a short chain and a couple of s-hooks. That being said, my cast iron dutch oven does have a bail.

LuvmyBonnet
09-19-2018, 15:30
OK. Since I'm looking to travel light, I'm going to leave the tripod and such at home.(Unless you find it useful) I'll grab some taters though.
Hope my food turns out OK. This is my first hand at home dehydrated meals. So far I'm digging the Nesco.

KeeWayKeno
09-19-2018, 16:00
Hope my food turns out OK. This is my first hand at home dehydrated meals. So far I'm digging the Nesco.

I hope so too. We might be sharing yours. (As per post #39) [emoji1785]

LuvmyBonnet
09-19-2018, 17:55
I hope so too. We might be sharing yours. (As per post #39) [emoji1785]

Rule #2 of EGL club. Leave no man hungry. I'm dehydrating some homemade marinara from my garden. I'll bring extra, just bring some noodles.

ggreaves
09-19-2018, 18:06
'm dehydrating some homemade marinara from my garden.

Marinara's not legal here till october... be careful crossing the border

Bubba
09-19-2018, 18:43

That’s funny :)

76 highboy
09-19-2018, 20:14

:lol:

BigGreenMoose
09-19-2018, 20:39
"Honest, officer! This is just a baggy of oregano! Luvmybonnet has the marinara!"

Niagara
09-21-2018, 05:57
Reservation Update - I have added my name as a comment and the reservation # to Chard's spreadsheet (link on post #48 in this thread) for those on going in on Marshmallow duty.:D
Niagara

Selkirk
09-23-2018, 14:28
Hey guys, I joined you all last year as I was passing through from Saskatchewan to the east coast - had a good time and think I may be able to make it out to join you again - is there space for one more? I am in Halifax currently so won't be there for the full trip.

-Steve "Selkirk"

Chard
09-23-2018, 17:36
Hey guys, I joined you all last year as I was passing through from Saskatchewan to the east coast - had a good time and think I may be able to make it out to join you again - is there space for one more? I am in Halifax currently so won't be there for the full trip.

-Steve "Selkirk"

Hey Selkirk!

Absolutely! It'd be good to see you. Check the spreadsheet link in the first post and join up under permit 2. If it's full when you check in, just grab another permit.

Bubba
09-23-2018, 18:40

-Steve "Selkirk"

You’re always welcome.

ggreaves
09-23-2018, 23:10
For those going in Thursday... wanna paddle in together?

Chard
09-23-2018, 23:50
I was planning on heading out Thursday morning as soon as the park office opens and I get my permit. If anyone's there, I'll be happy to paddle in together.

Edit: I'll likely be lollygagging along the way trying to take pictures so chances are that'll you'll pass me.

Niagara
09-24-2018, 05:06
For those going in Thursday... wanna paddle in together?

We had planned on trying to be shoving off the start of Canoe Lake by 9 or 9:30 latest if that works. 76 Highboy and his daughter as well.
Niagara

ggreaves
09-24-2018, 08:14
Ok, I'll meet you guys at 9ish am at the permit office. I'm still waiting to hear from Kasuko whether he secured a bow seat somewhere. He says Friday on the spreadsheet but I didn't hear if he found someone to paddle with. If anyone knows an alternate way to get in touch with him - he can paddle with me if he's ok going in a day early.

Chard
09-24-2018, 09:31
Hey guys.

Just to make sure we're all aiming for the same sites, go for the bracketed 2X on Jeff's Maps. If those are taken, I'd suggest that we continue rounding that bay and check out the three sites out to the next point. Worst comes to worst, a loud "Whoo Buddy" should get the group together.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/tt.jpg

ConnieB
09-24-2018, 14:31
Is anyone else going in on Saturday...or just me?

Kasuko
09-24-2018, 15:23
Ok, I'll meet you guys at 9ish am at the permit office. I'm still waiting to hear from Kasuko whether he secured a bow seat somewhere. He says Friday on the spreadsheet but I didn't hear if he found someone to paddle with. If anyone knows an alternate way to get in touch with him - he can paddle with me if he's ok going in a day early.

Hey thanks for the offer. I have not figured out how I am getting in yet. I have been having some back-pain flare ups for a couple weeks and I have been worried about my ability to make it on the trip overall.

My original thought was that if my back is feeling better after tomorrow's emergency massage therapy session I would head in Friday and given that the weather was manageable just try to solo paddle in so that I could go at my own pace, switch between kneeling and sitting a ton and stop and rest if needed.

I always tend to push myself too hard and I'm afraid of being seen as a slacker if I am in the bow of some nice person who was willing to let me hitch a ride.

Jiblets
09-24-2018, 16:39
I'm going in for Wed-Monday. I've added it to the spreadsheet (Linked Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x8z9kKvyVQRZRctpWkWVzsYZTRaZ5OVewKAKFTzHt-E/edit#gid=834316836) - for easy access)

Iguana
09-24-2018, 18:37
Just got home from the beginning part of my "bookender".

I met up with KWK and LMB Saturday morning at the Put-in. We pushed of together around 10am. Partly cloudy brisk 5c. Wind at our back. Lollygagging at bit around the totem pole with LMB, we made it to the 1st portage in about an hour.

Had a few events along the way before the second portage into Ink Lake. I have done that portage a few times and every time I do it, it seems to get longer.

Out of Ink and into McIntosh a winding paddle then slight headwinds. We were not able to secure the coveted island site, it was already occupied by a lovely young couple who were very apologetic that they took our island. Not to worry we paddle south to the site on the point.

A quick fire and a steak dinner for myself, KWK and LMB didn't eat much and everyone was in bed and fast asleep by 9.

Sunday: wind

Monday, I pushed of by myself to retrace the path I took less 36 hours prior. Leaving the two on the site, they were awake and ready to pounce on the island site as soon as the couple passed by, they told us they would be pushing of Monday morning. The caught up to me on to Thompson and passed by me as I took a break just before Tepee. They return of the way was all headwinds. There were six canoe converging on the portage into canoe so I sat back and let them all get across before I took my canoe out.

Paddling down canoe I ran saw a solo kayaker skipping across the water, I paddled closer to say Hi... Lofty.. I figured we may meet along the way just didn't know where. Turns out it would be at the traffic sign "left potters Creek, right Joe" we talked for a bit I warned of his upcoming portage and then I pushed of for the last leg of my paddle.

It would be another hour and fifteen minutes of paddling to the access point.

Stopped for fudge at the trading Post, my kids love the fudge, and was home by 6.

LMB and KWK plan to secure the sites Chard mentioned above early Thursday morning.

Iguana

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk - (Tablet = lots of typos), got my days mixed up.. not used to entering the park on a Saturday.

Chard
09-24-2018, 18:55
Just got home from the beginning part of my "bookender".

Nice. Brief, succinct and to the point. Just the way I like a trip report..:shades:

Glad to hear that all parties were accounted for, but it's a shame about Chicamoula.

ggreaves
09-24-2018, 20:15
Nice. Brief, succinct and to the point. Just the way I like a trip report..:shades:

Glad to hear that all parties were accounted for, but it's a shame about Chicamoula.

succinct indeed... my favourite part....

"Sunday: wind"

76 highboy
09-24-2018, 22:15
Sadly struggling with debilitating back pain. :(
Hoping for devine intervention or an angel of mercy. For now rest and meds.

Selkirk
09-25-2018, 19:05
Hey Ya'll, I am near Ottawa now. My loose plan is to head to Algonquin tomorrow and start in the water mid afternoon after I get a rental sorted. Pricey at the portage store! I am contemplating trying to hobo-out someplace for one more night and starting on the morning of the 27th. Anybody know of any good tucked away wild camping spots nearby that one may hide for the night?

How does the permit system work? Do I show up to the office and say I am with: Niagara* IN18-220729001, pay for the nights I plan to be out, then just mosey over to that area described in post #72?

Iguana
09-25-2018, 22:21
Hey Ya'll, I am near Ottawa now. My loose plan is to head to Algonquin tomorrow and start in the water mid afternoon after I get a rental sorted. Pricey at the portage store! I am contemplating trying to hobo-out someplace for one more night and starting on the morning of the 27th. Anybody know of any good tucked away wild camping spots nearby that one may hide for the night?

How does the permit system work? Do I show up to the office and say I am with: Niagara* IN18-220729001, pay for the nights I plan to be out, then just mosey over to that area described in post #72?
Hey Selkirk, I Don't know of any place to nearby to stealth camp, other than just walk into the bush somewhere. I have spent the night in my car on a few occasions.

As for the permit system,you are correct. Just not sure if the park knows the name "Niagara" I'll PM you his real name.

Chard
09-25-2018, 22:29
Hey Selkirk, I Don't know of any place to nearby to stealth camp, other than just walk into the bush somewhere. I have spent the night in my car on a few occasions.

As for the permit system,you are correct. Just not sure if the park knows the name "Niagara" I'll PM you his real name.

I'm not sure where you can hobo-camp, but just cite Niagara's permit number and you should be fine. If you're at the Canoe lake Park office really early, you might bump into me, otherwise you might bump into Niagara, Ggreaves or 76 Highboy around 9am.

Iguana
09-25-2018, 23:32
This just in... TT is full for the weekend. You will need to add yourself to one of the permits.

Selkirk
09-26-2018, 07:13
Ok. I will plan to rent and paddle in tomorrow morning (27th). Will lurk in the nearby bush tonight. Ha! See ya soon

76 highboy
09-26-2018, 10:51
Uggh! %$#*&+!!!
I'm not gonna make the hang. Cant sit cant stand cant drive cant paddle. My back she is toast.
I was really excited about this hang ( like all of them ) had some new equipment to test out and its just plain comforting to hang with old friends and new.
I was supposed to bring in some sausages and another form of red meat for the Macintosh group,if someone could do that for me It would be greatly appreciated.Will reimberse you at the next hang.

Looking at the weekend after thanxgiving to test out my new toys.

Enjoy the trip guys and gals

Kasuko
09-26-2018, 12:51
Alright, I have decided I am in and I am going to solo paddle! I will probably rent from Algonquin Outfitters to try to get something a little lighter. I will also probably try to rent a double sided kayak paddle to be able to switch it up now and again. I'm also intending to take it nice and slow and probably take a bunch of breaks. Let's see if I can learn to enjoy canoeing rather than just suffering through it so I can hang out with you guys, while secretly harbouring resentment that EGL started out with a hike and now it's all canoe freaks!

What do you guys recommend for solo paddling? A standard canoe + milk crate (a la Chard), or should I get one with the seat in the centre?

Looking forward to the trip finally!

ggreaves
09-26-2018, 13:04
Alright, I have decided I am in and I am going to solo paddle! I will probably rent from Algonquin Outfitters to try to get something a little lighter. I will also probably try to rent a double sided kayak paddle to be able to switch it up now and again. I'm also intending to take it nice and slow and probably take a bunch of breaks. Let's see if I can learn to enjoy canoeing rather than just suffering through it so I can hang out with you guys, while secretly harbouring resentment that EGL started out with a hike and now it's all canoe freaks!

What do you guys recommend for solo paddling? A standard canoe + milk crate (a la Chard), or should I get one with the seat in the centre?

The Swift Keewaydin 15 is a fast and stable pack boat. They also make a 14 and 13.6 pack boat (maybe even smaller), but I think the 15 has the best balance of speed, stability and comfort. It's also pretty light. AO rents all of these - I'd check asap for availability. Alternatively, if you don't want to cartop, the Portage Store at canoe lake has a nice H2O 16.6' solo (not a pack boat but a centre seat) that would also paddle nicely with a double blade. Also light. It's busy in the park this weekend so again, hopefully you can get what you're looking for.

ggreaves
09-26-2018, 13:15
Uggh! %$#*&+!!!
I'm not gonna make the hang. Cant sit cant stand cant drive cant paddle. My back she is toast.
I was really excited about this hang ( like all of them ) had some new equipment to test out and its just plain comforting to hang with old friends and new.
I was supposed to bring in some sausages and another form of red meat for the Macintosh group,if someone could do that for me It would be greatly appreciated.Will reimberse you at the next hang.

get better... coming to the winter camping symposium (then valens)?

ConnieB
09-26-2018, 14:50
This just in... TT is full for the weekend. You will need to add yourself to one of the permits.

Will there be a spot left for me??? It seems the space on the permit is running out as we speak/type.

Could someone let me know by Friday?

Iguana
09-26-2018, 17:08
Will there be a spot left for me??? It seems the space on the permit is running out as we speak/type.

Could someone let me know by Friday?

Hi Connie,
No need to worry, you are on the Spreadsheet so you already have a confirmed spot. Look forward to seeing you seems like it has been forever.

Niagara
09-26-2018, 17:36
Uggh! %$#*&+!!!

I have some extra Sahlens foot longs in the freezer.
Niagara

Chard
09-26-2018, 19:31
Whoa! Going to be a real wilderness weekend!

Ok. I will plan to rent and paddle in tomorrow morning (27th). Will lurk in the nearby bush tonight. Ha! See ya soon
LOL.

Uggh! %$#*&+!!!

Really sorry to hear that you'll be bedridden this weekend. Thanksgiving might be out for me, but there's always Valens on the calendar!
BTW: I already picked up a couple of beers and burgers for the McIntoshers'. If you had managed to come in, they would have made out like bandits!

Ggreaves' advice is good. You might want to mention that you're a rookie solo paddler to the canoe rental folks and they might recommend something a little more stable. Whatever you settle on, when it comes to route planning, try to stay reasonably close to shore even if it means going a little further. When it comes to paddling on windy days, make sure your trim is good; a little bow heavy if you're heading into the wind, a little stern heavy if your running with the wind and level if the wind's coming from the side. I'm constantly adjusting my trim by sliding my pack forwards or backwards. Have fun!

Will there be a spot left for me??? It seems the space on the permit is running out as we speak/type. Could someone let me know by Friday?
As Iguana said, you're already counted for.

Nice!!!

See you guys up there! Paddle safe everyone!

76 highboy
09-26-2018, 21:46
get better... coming to the winter camping symposium (then valens)?

Dipping into a bottle of "writers tears" right now. (medicinal purposes)
Have my tickets for the WCS and then valens for sure.
Will see you guys then.

76 highboy
09-26-2018, 21:48
Niagara

Sausages,beer and burgers. Those guys will be thrilled.!

Thanx

Selkirk
09-27-2018, 07:28
Hey guys, just got to the permit office and had to put my name under permit 1 - don't know anyone's real names or info so they wouldn't let me go under permit 2 since I am the first here. See yall on the lake!

keg
09-27-2018, 13:59
Dipping into a bottle of "writers tears" right now. (medicinal purposes)

Glad to see my taste in whiskey is catching on.

Sadly I'm not going to make it. Just spent a few night at a camp with students and I barely have enough energy left type this.

If I did make it is end up napping even more than normal.

Ken

ConnieB
09-27-2018, 15:56
Hey guys, just got to the permit office and had to put my name under permit 1 - don't know anyone's real names or info so they wouldn't let me go under permit 2 since I am the first here. See yall on the lake!

On that note, could someone pm me the name of the 2nd permit holder pls.???

Hope you are having a great time! Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday!

Iguana
09-27-2018, 21:29
On that note, could someone pm me the name of the 2nd permit holder pls.???

Hope you are having a great time! Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday!
PM Sent.

Bubba
09-30-2018, 22:38
Back from another trip. As always it was enjoyable due to the company and in spite of the weather. I'm sure pics will follow in a report of some kind.

LuvmyBonnet
10-01-2018, 22:20
This says it all!

Niagara
10-02-2018, 12:38
Back from another trip. As always it was enjoyable due to the company and in spite of the weather. I'm sure pics will follow in a report of some kind.

... still can't believe you made it in the dark....:scared::scared::scared:
hats off to ya man

KeeWayKeno
10-02-2018, 12:48
This says it all!

And SO delicious!

76 highboy
10-02-2018, 13:04
This says it all!

Thats what I'm talking about!
Bubba: in the dark? Really?
Hope everyone had a good time.

Been horozontal alot lately,req more pics for morale boosting.

Chard
10-02-2018, 13:12
Trip Report Thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/149857-EGL-gt-2018-Canoeing-Season-gt-Sept-2018-gt-The-Hatfields-and-the-McCoys-Break-Bread?p=1923480#post1923480)

LuvmyBonnet
10-02-2018, 18:43
Hope your feeling better 76 highboy. I didn't take many pictures but here's the rest of the cycle of fish.

76 highboy
10-02-2018, 23:19
My back is still trash, but I still have an appetite !
Mmmm