PDA

View Full Version : Loco Libre Gear on Vacation

georgecarr
08-17-2018, 16:38
Just a heads up, we will be on vacation from 8/18 until 8/26, 2018, and the shop will be closed. I have a few orders to wrap up before we leave tomorrow, and will answer emails as I can.

TrailSlug
08-17-2018, 16:39
George, have a great vacation and get some well earned rest.

GreatBigDave
08-17-2018, 16:42
Have a great time George!

coachhahn
08-17-2018, 16:56
Just a heads up, we will be on vacation from 8/18 until 8/26, 2018, and the shop will be closed. I have a few orders to wrap up before we leave tomorrow, and will answer emails as I can.Enjoy your vay-cay buddy!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Rex Clifton
08-17-2018, 18:03
An 8 week backlog and this guy has time to take a vacation? Money must be optional.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

coachhahn
08-17-2018, 18:21
An 8 week backlog and this guy has time to take a vacation? Money must be optional.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using TapatalkI hope I hear some sarcasm here.

Rex Clifton
08-17-2018, 18:31
I hope I hear some sarcasm here.

Sent from my VS996 using TapatalkMore like hyperbole, but I'm only half kidding. If it were me, and I fully understand that it's not, I would take off during a slow period, like in January. This way, I wouldn't have to worry about all the orders stacked up back at the shop. Also, in the dead of winter, it's nice going somewhere where the only ice is what tinkles in your glass!

georgecarr
08-17-2018, 18:45
More like hyperbole, but I'm only half kidding. If it were me, and I fully understand that it's not, I would take off during a slow period, like in January. This way, I wouldn't have to worry about all the orders stacked up back at the shop. Also, in the dead of winter, it's nice going somewhere where the only ice is what tinkles in your glass!

Actually January is the busy season, August is the slow season. Money isn't optional, but neither is quality of life. :)

coachhahn
08-17-2018, 19:08
All these guys work there butts off. Everyone deserves some time off to enjoy themselves. Have fun!

RollenDad
08-17-2018, 21:58
I used to try and plan my vacations around workload and due dates, but that only turned into never taking a vacation because I didn't have time. That did not make a happy wife and by extension, life.

I now plan and take vacations when we want to, regardless of workload. Wife and life are much happier now.

I would never fault a small business owner for planning time off just because they were busy. If they waited until they were slow, they would never go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrailSlug
08-17-2018, 22:17

Wow it takes some cahoonas to bust a hard working guy for taking a vacation. Everyone deserves time off.

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
08-17-2018, 23:00
enjoy your well earned time off!

hutzelbein
08-18-2018, 03:26
Actually January is the busy season, August is the slow season. Money isn't optional, but neither is quality of life. :)

Absolutely right! As the saying goes, nobody says "I wish I would have worked more!" on their deathbed.

Enjoy your holidays!

Shug
08-18-2018, 08:06
Everyone deserves a vacation.
Have a right goodie of a time lollygagging.
Shug

NJHeart2Heart
08-18-2018, 08:25

Hope you're having a great time and hopefully doing some of your own hammock hanging! :)

Dawn

Rex Clifton
08-18-2018, 09:09
Wow it takes some cahoonas to bust a hard working guy for taking a vacation. Everyone deserves time off.Cahoonas have never been a problem for me, but here's my point. I have nothing against vacations, heck, I've even taken a few in my time. But if it was my business, it would bug me that my lead time is 8 weeks while my competitors are all at 4-6. I would ask myself, how many sales have I given up to potential buyers that have been turned off by the long lead time? I'd like to try LL gear but, earlier in the year, I was in the market for a 40° quilt set and went with another vendor because of the long lead time. Currently, I'm in the market for a 20° set and ditto. I'm not gonna wait 8 weeks for anything. Hell, I could be dead in 8 week! Just say'in.

Floridahanger
08-18-2018, 10:43
It's hard to work all year long without time to recharge. If you don't recharge, the quality may start to slip. All the cottage vendors work hard all year with exceptional workmanship put into their products.

Unless you work with George side-by-side making the gear or manning the office/phones/website/shop, you have no idea what their schedule is. The 8 week time maybe due to many more orders than the others or because of the difference in quilt pattern or even waiting for supplies. You just don't know the what's and why's so I think it's unfair to judge them using your own ideas based on your current timeframes.

George, don't forget to come on down for vaca....uhhh...work for HangCon 2019.

GreatBigDave
08-18-2018, 15:08
Cahoonas have never been a problem for me, but here's my point. I have nothing against vacations, heck, I've even taken a few in my time. But if it was my business, it would bug me that my lead time is 8 weeks while my competitors are all at 4-6. I would ask myself, how many sales have I given up to potential buyers that have been turned off by the long lead time? I'd like to try LL gear but, earlier in the year, I was in the market for a 40° quilt set and went with another vendor because of the long lead time. Currently, I'm in the market for a 20° set and ditto. I'm not gonna wait 8 weeks for anything. Hell, I could be dead in 8 week! Just say'in...As you point out, it's not your business; if you do run a business, I hope you have the presence of mind to take care of yourself and your family (especially if most of your workers are family). LL has a long lead time, it's true. Many customers are willing to wait and plan for the wait. Custom made, hand crafted in the USA products are worth it to many of us and George's special work is worth it to enough customers to keep him more than busy. If he were to chase every order and grow his business faster than he can control he would soon be out of business churning out an inferior product his customers shun.

I understand that as customers we expect to be #1 but enjoying the product of skilled craftspeople follows a different paradigm.

GreatBigDave
08-18-2018, 15:11
Wow it takes some cahoonas to bust a hard working guy for taking a vacation. Everyone deserves time off.

What's a cahoona? :confused:

TrailSlug
08-18-2018, 15:17
What's a cahoona? :confused:

Google it :)

GreatBigDave
08-18-2018, 15:19
Google it :)I can't, I fear someone may review my search history / internet cache.

coachhahn
08-18-2018, 15:23
As you point out, it's not your business; if you do run a business, I hope you have the presence of mind to take care of yourself and your family (especially if most of your workers are family). LL has a long lead time, it's true. Many customers are willing to wait and plan for the wait. Custom made, hand crafted in the USA products are worth it to many of us and George's special work is worth it to enough customers to keep him more than busy. If he were to chase every order and grow his business faster than he can control he would soon be out of business churning out an inferior product his customers shun.

I understand that as customers we expect to be #1 but enjoying the product of skilled craftspeople follows a different paradigm.Well said. Plan for it. People expect to order something and have it the next day. If you want that order from Amazon. LLGs stuff is top notch. I gladly accept the wait time in exchange for one hell of a product.

Crazytown3
08-18-2018, 22:46
Cahoonas have never been a problem for me, but here's my point. I have nothing against vacations, heck, I've even taken a few in my time. But if it was my business, it would bug me that my lead time is 8 weeks while my competitors are all at 4-6. I would ask myself, how many sales have I given up to potential buyers that have been turned off by the long lead time? I'd like to try LL gear but, earlier in the year, I was in the market for a 40° quilt set and went with another vendor because of the long lead time. Currently, I'm in the market for a 20° set and ditto. I'm not gonna wait 8 weeks for anything. Hell, I could be dead in 8 week! Just say'in.

Whatever.

Stabbastion
08-18-2018, 23:30
If You Ever get the privilege to meet George he would tell you that the wait list has always bothered him. Handmade Crafted Items with George's Quality of Workmanship is unmatched in his Line of work! The Chevron Baffle design Is not Easy to do. Give the man a Break and let him Hang in his Hammock. That's why we all work so hard...To enjoy the little things

Snaps
08-19-2018, 01:23
Enjoy your time off! We all could use a little more of it.

As to the other discussion, well... products have costs and benefits. Both can take many forms, and what's important (to me, anyway) is that the costs are adequately communicated and the benefits aren't undershot. In the case of Loco Libre Gear, the price and lead time are right there on the website... and the product quality is fantastic.

Weigh the costs and benefits and find what works for you. Given my satisfaction with my first LLG quilt, I'll happily plan & wait for another when that time comes.

hutzelbein
08-19-2018, 04:31
I have nothing against vacations, heck, I've even taken a few in my time. But if it was my business, it would bug me that my lead time is 8 weeks while my competitors are all at 4-6. I would ask myself, how many sales have I given up to potential buyers that have been turned off by the long lead time?

Sounds like you either don't own a business or don't need time off yourself. Instead of working without ever going on vacation (because as soon as the lead time starts dropping, there'll likely be more orders - and then you'll have to work even more), or hiring more people, which brings its own set of problems, there is actually another solution to bring down the turnaround time: LL could raise their prices. But you probably wouldn't like that, either.

I'd like to try LL gear but, earlier in the year, I was in the market for a 40° quilt set and went with another vendor because of the long lead time. Currently, I'm in the market for a 20° set and ditto. I'm not gonna wait 8 weeks for anything.

I guess you'll never have kids, then :D

But seriously, if you don't want to wait, buy a quilt from one of the other vendors. Problem solved.

Hell, I could be dead in 8 week! Just say'in.

So could George. I certainly wouldn't want to spend my last 8 weeks working for people who begrudge me my hard earned vacation just because they need instant gratification.

fallkniven
08-19-2018, 06:02
Cahoonas have never been a problem for me, but here's my point. I have nothing against vacations, heck, I've even taken a few in my time. But if it was my business, it would bug me that my lead time is 8 weeks while my competitors are all at 4-6. I would ask myself, how many sales have I given up to potential buyers that have been turned off by the long lead time? I'd like to try LL gear but, earlier in the year, I was in the market for a 40° quilt set and went with another vendor because of the long lead time. Currently, I'm in the market for a 20° set and ditto. I'm not gonna wait 8 weeks for anything. Hell, I could be dead in 8 week! Just say'in.

Dude just give up. You come off as ignorant and a douche. You whining that this one man operation has a longer wait time than other companies who have multiple employees sewing for them?
You whining that someone created a small business and is doing well?
If someone has an 8 week lead time all year round, then when do you suppose he takes a break, never?
Seriously, not one person around here is going to agree with you, and k owing george peraonally, I cant say a single bad thing about him. Whine all you want, no one here will take your side.

jellyfish
08-19-2018, 06:51
8 weeks is worth the wait.

Have a great time George.
❤️

curlymaple42
08-19-2018, 07:24

❤️

Amen sister!! Plan ahead and all is well. We all need down time otherwise we get cranky and quality suffers. I've met George and I bet he can get cranky with the best of them! He needs and deserves a nice vacation for sure!!

:lol:

curlymaple42
08-19-2018, 07:25

❤️

Amen sister!! Plan ahead and all is well. We all need down time otherwise we get cranky and quality suffers. I've met George and I bet he can get cranky with the best of them! He needs and deserves a nice vacation for sure!!

:lol:

Rex Clifton
08-19-2018, 08:12
Sounds like you either don't own a business or don't need time off yourself. Instead of working without ever going on vacation (because as soon as the lead time starts dropping, there'll likely be more orders - and then you'll have to work even more), or hiring more people, which brings its own set of problems, there is actually another solution to bring down the turnaround time: LL could raise their prices. But you probably wouldn't like that, either.

I guess you'll never have kids, then :D

But seriously, if you don't want to wait, buy a quilt from one of the other vendors. Problem solved.

So could George. I certainly wouldn't want to spend my last 8 weeks working for people who begrudge me my hard earned vacation just because they need instant gratification.Hutzelbein, I have read a l number of of your posts, and I respect you. I think your a pretty good guy (unlike some of the other dip-sticks on this post), but you are dead wrong and you proved it in your response.

Point one you made was that George could expand his business to take some of the pressure off. That's exactly what he should do! It's simple logic and makes good business sense. No matter how skilled the craftsman, if your working 12-14 hour days things are going to slip, either with your products or your mental health (most likely, both).

Point two you made was the George could raise prices, and you intimated that I would not be in favor of this. Dead wrong! It's simple supply and demand, if the world is beating down your door to buy your product, raise the price until supply is more in line. For example, look at the chevron baffled top quilt he sells. Dollars to donuts he loses money on every one of those quilts he produces, although he probably doesn't know it. In fact, he probably doesn't know what products he makes or loses money on and just hopes, at the end of the day, that he has more debits than credits (most small businesses are like this).

Point three was that I could buy from another vendor that has a shorter wait time. That is besides the point, but it raises an interesting question; are George's quilts so much better that I would wait an extra month for them rather than going with another vendor? I can't answer that, since I have never used, or even seen any Loco gear in the wild, but there is some fantastic gear out there that you don't need to wait an eternity for!

I never have, and never will, begrudge a man his vacation. But I fear that, in the not too distant future, George will be able to take as many prolonged and extended vacations as he likes because his business is going to be kaput!

HandyRandy
08-19-2018, 08:47
A week isn’t a terribly long vacation. Chances are they will be doing some camping and hiking, so they will get to put their newest experimental ideas to the test and we will all benefit from their lessons learned. Creativity is also important to growing a business and if you spend all your time in the office, you won’t form new experiences to fuel that creativity. Not every business owner wants to deal with numerous employees just to stay operational during vacation times. Hang your own hang.

Snaps
08-19-2018, 08:50
Wow.

Someone on another thread here recently--I think the one about courtesy & unspoken rules related to treatment of tenters and other hammockers--talked reasonably about the term "should" when applied to what other people do, and what it implies.

I'm not about to tell you what you should do with your time, your money, and certainly not your business, if you have one. You'd likely have a strong opinion on what I might tell you that you should do.

LLG has happy customers and the freedom to close the doors for a week to take a breather, presumably without significant impact to business. But even if it is at some cost to business... that's in every sense not your business.

My first assumption about someone who has done zero business with a vendor and speaks this way about them is that there's an agenda that's not being aired. But I don't need to assume that to dismiss this opinion.

I'll bet George never imagined an "out of office" announcement would turn into this nonsense! At least it'll be a fun read upon his return...

Rick2world
08-19-2018, 08:57
Have a great well deserved vacation!

georgecarr
08-19-2018, 10:35
Point one you made was that George could expand his business to take some of the pressure off. That's exactly what he should do! It's simple logic and makes good business sense. No matter how skilled the craftsman, if your working 12-14 hour days things are going to slip, either with your products or your mental health (most likely, both).

Point two you made was the George could raise prices, and you intimated that I would not be in favor of this. Dead wrong! It's simple supply and demand, if the world is beating down your door to buy your product, raise the price until supply is more in line. For example, look at the chevron baffled top quilt he sells. Dollars to donuts he loses money on every one of those quilts he produces, although he probably doesn't know it. In fact, he probably doesn't know what products he makes or loses money on and just hopes, at the end of the day, that he has more debits than credits (most small businesses are like this).

Point three was that I could buy from another vendor that has a shorter wait time. That is besides the point, but it raises an interesting question; are George's quilts so much better that I would wait an extra month for them rather than going with another vendor? I can't answer that, since I have never used, or even seen any Loco gear in the wild, but there is some fantastic gear out there that you don't need to wait an eternity for!

I never have, and never will, begrudge a man his vacation. But I fear that, in the not too distant future, George will be able to take as many prolonged and extended vacations as he likes because his business is going to be kaput!

Folks, don't let yourselves be trolled. Really, 5 posts and 4 of them are about my vacation? Most vendors here wouldn't reply, but since Mike Likes Dirt has taken some liberties and made some assumptions about my business acumen and my person character lets chew on that shall we?

1) I don't have to assume Mike Likes Dirt has never owned a small business.

2)In a prior life I owned 2 other businesses, and was an Operation Manager for the 3rd largest waste hauling company in the world. My fiduciary responsibilities included overseeing 100 men and a $12 million dollar budget while profitably bidding on contracts after calculating job cost. No worries Mike Likes Dirt, every one of my products is profitable.

3) If I wanted to grow bigger (no I don't, and that's my prerogative), good luck finding seamstresses. I've had to train every one from scratch. In fact, if my current work force moves on I will most likely just downsize, as being a one man shop isn't a bad option. In some ways it's freeing.

4) Speaking of my workforce, since 2 of my three employees are related to me and we're all on the same vacation ( that we've taken together for over 20 years), it only makes sense to close for 1 week this entire year.

5) Raising prices isn't really an option in the current market, so you need to be a frugal manager when it comes to pricing materials.

6)I know your losing sleep over my future Mike Likes Dirt (tongue firmly in cheek), and while I appreciate your concern (TFIC again) but please don't. I'll be here until I decide I don't want to.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and defense. It's good to know who you can depend on when your back is turned.

TrailSlug
08-19-2018, 11:04
George, excellent retort! Now go enjoy that vacation while I enjoy my new set of quilts :)

dkurfiss
08-19-2018, 17:20
Closed per OP request