PDA

View Full Version : Ridgeline length

forces
09-09-2018, 04:51
Seems like the go-to ridge line length is around 83-86% of your total hammock length. I’ve tried several UCR ridgelines with (what I thought was) ample extra slack, yet I seem to always feel like I’m sagging. Anyone else feel like you want a flatter hang? For example, a 90% ridgeline? I get that it’s more tippy with a flatter hang but also seems more comfortable to me. I’ve had multiple failures with UCR structural ridgelines, so I’m thinking of going with a fixed ridgeline at around 90%. Thoughts?

W8lkinUSA
09-09-2018, 06:56
I've also been curious about this since I wonder if a 10' hammock and 10' tarp would work for my 5' 11'' height.

XJ35S
09-09-2018, 07:51
" yet I seem to always feel like I’m sagging."

Can you elaborate on that a little more? 83% is a suggested starting point. 90% would not give you a flatter lay.

10' at 83% is 99.6". 10' at 90% is 108". You might want an 80% or less.

I have a Dutch flea on one end of my ridge line and a fixed loop on the other. Easiest way to adjust an inch or two in or out. I hope someone suggests a good slippery knot to use in place of the flea. I'm not great with knots...

hutzelbein
09-09-2018, 09:09
Hammock comfort isn't an exact science, unfortunately. I don't know who came up with the 83% "rule", but in my experience the most comfortable ridgeline length depends on hammock size (length and width) as well as on the user's preferences. I'd say the basic rule is: the shorter and narrower the hammock is, the more comfortable it is with a longer ridgeline (relative to the hammock length, of course). The longer and wider the hammock is, the more comfortable it is with a shorter ridgeline. I like most of my 11' hammocks best with a 87%-89% ridgeline. If feel that I'm lying like a banana when I go down to the customary 83%.

W8lkinUSA
09-09-2018, 12:18
I like most of my 11' hammocks best with a 87%-89% ridgeline. If feel that I'm lying like a banana when I go down to the customary 83%.

Sounds like I should enroll in DIY 101 for more informed testing. I really hope that the Tensa4 fits on my apartment balcony.