PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Hang for my NX-250

waddy
03-01-2010, 10:30
I finally got my NX250 hung for the first time and spent my first night in it. The weather treated me kindly, and low temp was only 20 degree F. I was WAY overprepared and kept getting hot. I did not use the Clark underpockets, but I will next time, if nothing else to get a little of my junk out of the hammock. I had everything else in "quick draw" mode right in the hammock with me. It was too much. Here is how I was set up. I used the Clark ropes and drip rings like they suggested. I used the RX250 tarp, with a single ridgeline running under the tarp. I used Prissic knots on the ridgeline to position and tighten the tarp ridgeline. Some of the tarp tie-outs were tied to whatever stuff was available, and some were tied to deadmen in the snow. I used an Arrowhead New River UQ, and a full size Wally World blue CCF pad inside with an Eddie Bauer down mummy sleeping bag, made back when the company was still making premium quality gear. It is over 30 years old and just as good as new. I slept in some Cabella synthetic heavy weight drawers, a duofold undershirt with a fleece top over it, with a single pair of heavy cotton socks. I had a heavy wool pair ready to put on, but never came close to needing them. I followed everyone's advice and put a hot water bottle in to the foot of the bag, mainly because I didn't believe it would stay warm all night (it did!). I also had a winter jacket gloves, a heavy weight hoodie and a WW emergency fleece sleeping bag in with me. It was WAAAAAAY too much. I slept really well with the exception of waking up hot, readjusting, then getting cool, etc. All in all, a fantastic piece(s) of equipment, and a wonderful new avenue for me. If someone can tell me how to post pictures, I will post a few.

Shug
03-01-2010, 11:21
Terrific. You'll learn to manage everthing in good time....... fun, ain't it.
Clark feller are you.
Shug

waddy
03-01-2010, 12:29
Thanks Shug, I learned a WHOLE lot real quick on just the one hang. I missed the Colorado hang last weekend because I hadn't had a chance to try anything out. I didn't want to spoil a trip for someone else because of my ignorance and/or stupidity (I do that type thing really well). As it turns out, I would have been fine, but now I'm a lot more comfortable with knowing how my equipment and I stack up. Fun? It just doesn't get any more fun than that. Well, maybe that ONE thing!!

I'm going to work with the Clark ropes a little more, as I like to use things as the manufacturer designed them, but I'm pretty sure I feel a change coming on.;)

lonetracker
03-07-2010, 12:44
and your off!seems like as soon as a hanger learns they will not freeze to death they can't stop hangin,an experimentin.i am down to half what i started using.still never tried one of those uq thingies.
hangin warm
bill

molawns
03-08-2010, 17:57
Woo! Congrats Waddy!

Glad to hear you're getting situated with the new Clark, and having a blast in the process!

waddy
03-08-2010, 19:14
Thanks a million for all your original help, suggestions, and pointing me here in the first place molawns.....I think;)

My checkbook is definitely smoking, but I'm having a ball:lol: