PDA

View Full Version : Help With First Quilt Order?

Jmart
10-01-2018, 16:14
Hello everyone! I am currently in the process of getting my first hammock set up, as I am transitioning to hammock camping after nearly a decade of tent camping/backpacking. I have read several threads on hammockforums, but this is my very first post, so bear with me..... :)

I have chosen to get my first hammock quilt set from LLG, and I am debating on which color combo to go with. I am almost positive I will get my outer color in deep purple for both TQ and UQ, and am wondering if the moss green would compliment it well. Do any of you have something from LLG in moss green as well as purple that you could send me a pic of? (could be 2 quilts next to each other, doesn't have to be the same color combo on one quilt, I just want to see the colors next to each other) I have searched all over this site, the LLG site and Instagram and can't find these two specific colors side by side yet. I know colors shouldn't matter much, but having gear I find cute just brings me such joy after hiking all day long!

As a side note, I really like the look of purple and grey, but I'm getting a grey hammock and I either read somewhere or saw on a YouTube video that you shouldn't have the inner layer of your UQ match your hammock because as it gets darker it's too easy to mistake the two and accidentally sit in just your UQ.
I emailed George with a few questions and he helped me decide to go with a half taper and an insulated foot box. I currently use a mummy sleeping bag in a tent, but usually sleep with it unzipped (unless temp really drops) and just stick my feet in the foot box because they get cold yet I toss and turn in my sleep quite a bit. Any input/experience with side sleepers and TQs in general would be appreciated!

For reference, I am female, 5'10 and 150 lbs. I am planning to get regular height and width, but may look into measuring my sleeping bag width before ordering to make sure on width. I plan to get 10 degree Ghost Pepper and Habanero quilts for 3 season camping (Minnesota), as am I a cold sleeper in general and figure I can vent in warmer months. I used my husband's 17 degree REI Igneo sleeping bag this spring and summer and was never too warm, sometimes even chilly by early morning (although my understanding is big box brands oversell their temp ratings, so not sure how valuable that info is).

Thanks for everyone who put up reading this monologue, I wanted to make sure I included any possibly pertinent info. I appreciate any kind of feedback you can offer :)

Rolloff
10-01-2018, 17:08
Ripstop by the Roll can provide practically any material/color combination one might need and will ship to LLG or any of our cottage vendors for a few bucks if they don't have access to it already. I like the purple and moss green

Don't worry about needing colors to keep you from sitting in your UQ. Grab the sewn edge of the side of the hammock first, then push down and grab the shockcord of the UQ suspension, through the material of the hammock body. I then hold it in one hand while sitting down, while releasing hold with the other and sweeping the loose material back with my now free hand, as i sit down so it doesn't bunch up underneath me.

I've been doing it for years in the dark when you can't see the difference in colors anyway.

Jmart
10-01-2018, 18:07
Ripstop by the Roll can provide practically any material/color combination one might need and will ship to LLG or any of our cottage vendors for a few bucks if they don't have access to it already. I like the purple and moss green

Don't worry about needing colors to keep you from sitting in your UQ. Grab the sewn edge of the side of the hammock first, then push down and grab the shockcord of the UQ suspension, through the material of the hammock body. I then hold it in one hand while sitting down, while releasing hold with the other and sweeping the loose material back with my now free hand, as i sit down so it doesn't bunch up underneath me.

I've been doing it for years in the dark when you can't see the difference in colors anyway.

Great advice, thank you! I didn't even think about when it's pitch black and I get up in the middle of the night that colors really won't matter at that point. I'll check out ripstop by the roll for color options, too. Thanks!

TrailSlug
10-01-2018, 21:42
My only suggestion is to go wide if you are a flopping sleeper. I flop like a fish on the dock and went with non taper and love them. When you flop, the quilt ends up under you on one side which pulls the other side off so a wide gives a bit more leeway for this issue. George is great to work with and you can't go wrong with his premier gear.

Jmart
10-02-2018, 05:29
My only suggestion is to go wide if you are a flopping sleeper. I flop like a fish on the dock and went with non taper and love them. When you flop, the quilt ends up under you on one side which pulls the other side off so a wide gives a bit more leeway for this issue. George is great to work with and you can't go wrong with his premier gear.

Flop like a fish �� this made me laugh out loud, sounds just like me! Great advice, I will seriously consider getting a wide quilt, then. I have heard nothing but great things about LLG quality, so excited to become another customer :). Thank you so much for your input, TrailSlug!

HandyRandy
10-22-2018, 19:56
I hang full time indoors at 73° with fans on with a full length 0° underquilt all cinched up and tight. I also use a thin fleece topquilt from Dutchware. I don’t feel the need to vent the UQ. I suspect that is simply because heat rises. The top insulation is going to be where you should focus on heat regulation though venting or using a lighter topquilt. It’s much like how your mattress at home doesn’t get terribly hot despite it being incredibly thick.

Jmart
10-22-2018, 20:30
Interesting, thanks for the input! I wonder then if, by theory, you could use say a 30* underquilt and 10* top quilt and be comfortable down to 10*?

I’m really not too worried about getting too hot, as you can always remove layers but can only add what you have available. And as you say, venting can be done. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it :)

HandyRandy
10-22-2018, 21:06
Interesting, thanks for the input! I wonder then if, by theory, you could use say a 30* underquilt and 10* top quilt and be comfortable down to 10*?

I’m really not too worried about getting too hot, as you can always remove layers but can only add what you have available. And as you say, venting can be done. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it :)

Good question. Sounds too good to be true, but still worth a shot to test it out in your backyard, I think! Which is what you should always do when you have an idea on how to push the limits on your shelter. Or if you haven’t used it before. It snows like once a decade down here, so I can’t unfortunately.

Jmart
10-22-2018, 21:43
Very true, backyard testing would be best so you can come inside if it turns out my theory is complete garbage �� Minnesota gets a lot of snow and cold weather, which is precisely why I want a 10* set for three season camping, as I am a cold sleeper.