PDA

View Full Version : Well...I'm torn

Kallorne
03-01-2010, 17:57
As a habitual gear junky getting into hammock camping this year could be an expensive mixture. i'm looking at both the blackbird and the HH for a starting point. I'll be spending all summer on fire crew with the DNR, so it will see heavy use in fire camp.so what it boils down to for me is which is the more versatile? can they both, heaven forbid, be used as a tent should the need arise? does the velcro on the HH annoy the **** out of anyone? as long as i keep it under $200 i'm game for looking at anything else that will stand up to heavy use and be light enough for backpacking and can be adapted for winter use at a later date.

Rug
03-01-2010, 18:36
The velcro isn't that bad. IMHO the pain in the arse part is trying to arrange your bed or get at things inside the hammock while standing inside the 'birth canal'.

I got 2QZQ mod #2 done on both my HH's and I love it.

Dutch
03-01-2010, 18:37
Both are light and will withstand heavy use. I have never worn out a hammock yet. The HH comes with a tarp, if that isn't needed I would go with the BB.

ltruelove
03-01-2010, 19:23
skip the hh and got to the blackbird. if you are going to spend any money its better of being spent on the best.

Knotty
03-01-2010, 19:31
I'm a big fan of a HH with the #2 zipper mod.

That said, I'd recommend a double layer Blackbird for your situation. This allows you to use a closed cell foam pad between the layers for insulation, which you'll need for any temps below 70-75F. Not as comfy as an under quilt but a whole lot cheaper, which is one of your criteria.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Your wallet is about to go for a wild ride!

questtrek
03-01-2010, 19:44
I agree .. I would go with the Blackbird. It has everything you would need and you don't have to send it in for a zipper mod, its all right there!

Shug
03-01-2010, 20:02
Welcome ....
The BlackBird would be easier to use as a tent ... if the need arises ..... as it is a top loading hammock.
Shug

Bleemus
03-01-2010, 20:54
Warning! Wrench in the works here. Try a Bridge before you do anything! With mods you can get a bridge down to lower than a BB in weight and the flat lie is fantastic. BB is a great hammock though and a good choice but you owe it to yourself to try a Bridge too.

Good luck in your decision.

mbiraman
03-01-2010, 21:05
Just to add another point on the closed cell foam. It isn't uncomfortable, just not quite as nice as an UQ. I have a blackbird so i'm biased. You will love layin in your hammock after a hard days work. Be sure to get a decent tarp

swampfox
03-01-2010, 21:06
I own both and if I could only have one, it would be the Blackbird. I have the zipper mod on the HH and that makes it almost equal to the BB.
It still doesn't have the shelf, the layer to slip a pad, or a footbox. The only reason I can think of to choose the HH over the BB is if you just can't afford it.

X-Lem
03-01-2010, 21:29
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another eastern Washington camper join the hammock crowd.

Sparticus
03-01-2010, 22:59
I have a HH and have used it on the ground on a couple of occasions with no problems. The BB however will be my nest Hammock purchase.

mbiraman
03-02-2010, 00:35
Just realized you we're from Spokane. I was just talking to someone there last week about "little taste of india " on division ave. and their great potato parantha's. Someone else just joined a little while ago from Walla Walla

Kallorne
03-03-2010, 15:59
Well everyone.. thanks so much for all the help. that provided much needed insight, as did my first night in my shiny new HH that i made the mistake of touching in the store and just had to have. but this is hardly my final decision, a few of you touched on the very problems with HH i discovered last night. so i therefore decide i need a blackbird as well. I'll doing further research on the HH on a week long thru hike next week. my prolite kept me quite warm but how does that compare to cheap closed cell? and thank you all for the warm welcome. if anyone needs to know anything on northeastern washington i've lived and hiked most of it along with bits of western montana and wyoming so by all means feel free to ask. ah yes i almost forgot... i made it's stuff sack into a bishop bag and it works brilliantly.

leepingreenlizards
03-03-2010, 16:11
Well then, if your going to get the best, you'll want to save for a Clark's. It'll cost ya, but you know what they say---"you get what you pay for". IMO

Kallorne
03-03-2010, 19:53
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another eastern Washington camper join the hammock crowd.

say have you ever been to juniper dunes? i was the there not too long ago and seem have misplaced a sand dune or two have you seen them by chance?