PDA

View Full Version : New to hammocks. Need some recommendations

Petitt
10-08-2018, 11:03
Like the title says new to hammocks. Need some advice. What size hammock, tarp, and sleep bag? I will mainly use this for hunting elk in Colorado during the archery season next year. I’ve been 3 times in a tent and hated it. No level ground. The temps range from mid 30’s in the morning to mid 50’s in the afternoon. I’m 6’2” and 240lbs. Looking for something light weight for backpacking. Would like to have a tarp big enough to close the ends up at head and feet if it starts to rain. Any help will be appreciated and pics especially. Thanks

dkurfiss
10-08-2018, 11:12
Since you say you are new to hammocks I would suggest you start HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0&list=PLB8752777861C2AA8) Shug's videos for new folks will walk you through most of the challenges, educate you, and entertain you at the same time.

You will get many, many, many recommendations because each of us are different. What works for me will probably not work for you. Tarps are kind of the same way. Many of the cottage vendors here make great tarps.

You might also want to Google The Ultimate Hang. Derek does a great job of explain many things about hammocks, doing product reviews, and he does much of it via pictures/drawings.

Good luck with your journey.

Shug
10-08-2018, 12:29
Maybe look for an 11' hammock. All the vendors on here make wonderful hammocks.
Need a bug-net? Decide that. Netted hammocks.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLahaAdtfX9ZLEzMl8R4dbEiL-K3lJksKA

Tarp. Cant beat the Warnonnet Superfly for size, doors and price.

Carry forth.
Shug

https://youtu.be/qUq01fUeRbs

Smckinney0031
10-08-2018, 14:03
Cant go wrong with the Info already given, Specially cant go wrong with the shug videos

Vtmimib
10-08-2018, 14:24
Warbonnet is a Colorado Company too, if you want to keep your $$ local to Colorado, if you live there as as well as hunt there.

Otter1
10-08-2018, 15:16
Get a Long, Wide quilt if you decide a quilt will work better for you (most hammock hangers do). I prefer Enlightened Equipment Revelation, but there are many other good ones.

Get a Long (for folks up to 6'6") if you stay with a bag. Bags require gymnastics lessons in a hammock.

If by Light weight you really mean it, then Hammock Gear's Winter Palace dyneema tarp is what you want. I love mine.

I prefer separate hammocks + bugnets, and Dutch's netless + bugnet are my recommendations.

Mr. Doublefister
10-08-2018, 22:07
Like the title says new to hammocks. Need some advice. What size hammock, tarp, and sleep bag? I will mainly use this for hunting elk in Colorado during the archery season next year. I’ve been 3 times in a tent and hated it. No level ground. The temps range from mid 30’s in the morning to mid 50’s in the afternoon. I’m 6’2” and 240lbs. Looking for something light weight for backpacking. Would like to have a tarp big enough to close the ends up at head and feet if it starts to rain. Any help will be appreciated and pics especially. Thanks

Whats your budget like?

sidneyhornblower
10-09-2018, 04:39

I'm just down the road from you. If you'd like to see my setup and lie down in it, PM me here and we can come up with a time and place.

Otherwise, I'll join the chorus and suggest a basic 11-foot netless hammock. At your height and weight, probably go with 1.6 fabric which would give you a decent combination of light weight and strength. Since weight is an issue, go with whoopie slings for suspension along with 6-foot tree straps. The temperature range is perfect for the ubiquitous 20-degree quilt sets. Again, for weight reasons go with down. The tarp is going to be where you get a wide range of opinions. To cut down the wind you'll need a fairly full size tarp, though you could go with a hex or cat-cut version to shave an ounce or two. However, you might be better served getting a tarp with doors, which is going to be larger and thus heavier but keeps the wind off better.

Prices for all this are going to set you back, no question about it, but you'll have a setup that you can depend on for years.

Deadwood
10-09-2018, 12:27
I’m also nearby over in Forsyth. I’d be glad to meet you and let you compare my gear to sidney’s. I’ve got a WBBB XLC, Dutchware Chameleon, WB Superfly, and HG and Arrowhead quilts. It would allow you to see the differences and may help choosing or eliminating some gear. Agree with others. Shug’s videos and Derek’s Ultimate Hang will get you up to speed.

HarveyM
10-10-2018, 07:33
Whatever you buy, try hanging close to home before using it on a big trip. It took me at least three times before I was happy with my setup (but maybe I'm slow...).

soulsurfer
10-16-2018, 09:56
Whatever you buy, try hanging close to home before using it on a big trip. It took me at least three times before I was happy with my setup (but maybe I'm slow...).

I personally cannot second this enough. It will take a few attempts to get the hang right and things where you want them let alone, getting used to sleeping in the hammock. I found it took me several days before I was fully comfortable however, now, I sleep like a baby. YMMV

Enjoy the journey!

boothbot
11-13-2018, 03:28
The first time I ever used a hammock was my first night on my AT thru-hike attempt last year.

Never put a hammock or a tarp up before. In the pouring rain.

It was not ideal! Ah memories.