PDA

View Full Version : New server online, sorry about the down time.

attroll
10-31-2018, 19:06
We were only suppose to be down for 15 minutes last night to prepare for the new server were putting in on Monday, at least that was the plan. We ran into some issues and it kept us down all night. We figure if were going to be down this long we might as well replace the server right now, so we did. That way we would not have to be down twice. Were still not 100% yet.
If you find any issues please report them in this thread.

TallPaul
10-31-2018, 19:09
Thanks Rick. I’m sure that rearranged your night/day.

DownYonder
10-31-2018, 19:17
Thanks for your hard work. Love the site!!

attroll
10-31-2018, 19:21
Thanks Rick. I’m sure that rearranged your night/day.
You have not idea, lol.

Vryce
10-31-2018, 19:28
Thank you for all the hard work that you do for this site. Go get some sleep. You've earned it.

Latherdome
10-31-2018, 19:31
Made me aware how compulsive I've become about checking HF. It's like... time stopped! And instead of catching up on almost 24 hours of posts, well no: I've been transported back in time to yesterday because NOBODY was posting. Between this and daylight savings time, I just don't think I'll ever be able to keep track of my birthday on Mercury anymore.

Thanks for hosting!

IRONFISH45
10-31-2018, 19:37
Welcome back!

TxAggie
10-31-2018, 19:49
I was missing my fix!!!

Glad you made it through, these things happen. Thanks for all your effort for the community.

tollermama
10-31-2018, 19:54
Hey Rick, thanks so much! I am sure there is lots to getting a site like this running smoothly and we appreciate it.

Ratdog
10-31-2018, 19:59
Left side column too small or not kicking off responsive template when viewing main page.
(Column w/ user control panel)
Chrome and Safari - ipad and iphone
Original and Hammock camping styles

2nd clumn also too narrow.
Could just be 3rd column is too wide if you are using relative spacing

TallPaul
10-31-2018, 20:08
You have not idea, lol.
I have no idea nowadays what you had to deal with but I appreciate the effort.
Time for you to get some hammock time now.

Ratdog
10-31-2018, 20:11
Forum listings have extra line space and something is displacing last post/user

gunner76
10-31-2018, 20:12
Glad to see the forum back up. Another member contacted me this AM asking if I could get on the forum. As I have been having computer issues of my own I did not know if it the problem was on my end or yours.

Latherdome
10-31-2018, 20:13
"Customize my profile" is non-functional, Safari browser at least. Trying to set a profile pic...

TrailBlaser
10-31-2018, 20:26
The down time made me realize how much I enjoy the forum - I was checking often and missed being connected. Thanks for the effort and hard work.

michigandave
10-31-2018, 20:28
I had my most productive day at work today because the site was down. I really don't want to make that a habit [emoji4].

A big thumbs up to Rick for getting it done. Hopefully you can kick back and relax. Thank you!

OutandBack
10-31-2018, 21:27
THANK YOU Rick I'll bet you had one sleepless night.

I would also like to THANK all the Vendors who purchased a banner and DONATING MEMBERS who helped pay for this new server, TI tech, and software.
You guys are the reason we are still #1 when it comes to all things hammock.

scrope
10-31-2018, 21:56
It seems that switching to a new server has changed the way the new posts listing is displayed. Each post is widely separated from other posts. I find it much more difficult to read. If this isn't a mistake that you will correct, can you provide an option to have a more compact display like before?

scrope
10-31-2018, 22:07
I've also noticed some "cruft" between the title and the Started by line in some of the posts. I've attached a copy so you can see the much larger spacing and the cruft.

Well, that didn't happen. I'm wondering if there is an additional problem because when I try to update an image in PGN or JPG format I get a "This is not a valid image file" error message.

attroll
10-31-2018, 22:28
I've also noticed some "cruft" between the title and the Started by line in some of the posts. I've attached a copy so you can see the much larger spacing and the cruft.

Well, that didn't happen. I'm wondering if there is an additional problem because when I try to update an image in PGN or JPG format I get a "This is not a valid image file" error message.
Are you still having a problem with the images?

Ratdog
10-31-2018, 22:38
Layout and spacing looking good
Testing upload (also failed to upload jpeg file earlier...trying again)

Looking good!

Thanks for the hard work Rick.

Tigglet
10-31-2018, 23:05
I work in IT and completely get the effort involved and the reason for decisions made...
Like others have said, I didn’t realize how much time I spend on checking the forum until it wasn’t available....��
Thanks for taking care of the site!

ylnfrt
11-01-2018, 00:03
Thanks for staying up to get the new server installed Rick, now get some hangtime. You deserve it :thumbup1:

PlusOne
11-01-2018, 06:39
Made me aware how compulsive I've become about checking HF. It's like... time stopped! And instead of catching up on almost 24 hours of posts, well no: I've been transported back in time to yesterday because NOBODY was posting. Between this and daylight savings time, I just don't think I'll ever be able to keep track of my birthday on Mercury anymore.

This made me laugh out loud! I concur!

Adam

tessiea
11-01-2018, 06:46
Thanks for the update. I’m new around here and want to thank everyone for their hard work and all the valuable information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkurfiss
11-01-2018, 10:32
Rick,
All I can say is WOW! The response time from the server/software is improved 1000%. I did not realize how slow the old stuff was until I spent some time with the new stuff.

I have poked around a lot this morning and can find nothing wrong. Good job and thank you!

Also thanks to all the donating members who made this upgrade possible.!!

OneClick
11-01-2018, 11:53
This has always been a super fast forum for me, especially compared to some others. And I can count on one hand the times I remember the site being down since 2012. So I definitely noticed my addiction when it was down!

It opened in the condensed "mobile version" for me a few times on my desktop today, but seems fine now.

blgoode
11-01-2018, 18:29
Anyone having thread reply notifications not working?

GreatBigDave
11-01-2018, 19:15
I renewed my Donating Member status yesterday but it doesn't appear to have made it to the new site.

attroll
11-01-2018, 20:31
Anyone having thread reply notifications not working?
It must be working because you replied here.
Could you please explain more?

attroll
11-01-2018, 20:32
I renewed my Donating Member status yesterday but it doesn't appear to have made it to the new site.
I have corrected this. It must have happened during the server swap yesterday. Thank you for pointing this out.

attroll
11-01-2018, 20:34
Rick,
All I can say is WOW! The response time from the server/software is improved 1000%. I did not realize how slow the old stuff was until I spent some time with the new stuff.

I have poked around a lot this morning and can find nothing wrong. Good job and thank you!

Also thanks to all the donating members who made this upgrade possible.!!
Yes, we have to thank all the donating members. Without them this forum would not be possible.

GreatBigDave
11-01-2018, 21:06
I have corrected this. It must have happened during the server swap yesterday. Thank you for pointing this out.Thanks Rick. Thanks for everything.

JmBoh
11-01-2018, 21:35
The new server seems "smoother" to me. Everything is working grat on my end. Thanks very much for keeping this forum working well!! Greatly appreciated! :thumbup1:

blgoode
11-01-2018, 22:17
I didn't get an email when a reply is made. I had to manually check and find your reply. I'll check my settings and see if they need reset in my control panel.

blgoode
11-01-2018, 22:20
Settings are set to get instant email notifications when a reply is made. Not sure why I'm not getting email notifications.

scrope
11-02-2018, 00:20
Here's the image showing the problems. It appears to be uploaded so that issue seems to have been resolved. The extra lines in the listings seems to have gone away so this image is not very useful. Glad you fixed the problems I noticed. Good job.

scrope
11-02-2018, 00:26
I probably wouldn't have noticed it but because of the changes I've been paying more attention to details than I normally would. I noticed there still seems to be a bit of cruft that sometimes appears between the title and the started by line. It looks like it might be a sliver of some text. It's not a big deal but I though I'd just mention it. I'm viewing it in Safari 11.1.2 on a Mac 10.11.6.

scrope
11-02-2018, 00:37
I'm not sure this is a problem so please forgive me if I'm just confused. I normally click the New Posts tab every day to see what I've missed since the last time I've checked the forums. I thought that in the past, when I've stepped through the pages and went back and clicked the New Posts button again that same day, that there wouldn't be any new posts (or very few depending on how long it was since the last time).

Now it appears that when I read a post it's removed from the list but all the "new" posts remain. I'm not sure if I'm just mis-remembering how it used to work or if it's been changed. Also, maybe this is the way it's supposed to work and the old way was broken.

Just letting you know in case this isn't the intended behavior. Keep up the good work.

blgoode
11-02-2018, 06:41
I changed my notification seetings to once daily to see if it jump stats me getting notifications to thread replies. If not I have to remember all threads I've posted in and manually check for peoples responses :(

TallPaul
11-02-2018, 08:07
I changed my notification seetings to once daily to see if it jump stats me getting notifications to thread replies. If not I have to remember all threads I've posted in and manually check for peoples responses :(

This shows you the threads you’ve participated in. Doesn’t replace the notifications but nice to have regardless.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/119164-Participated-threads-one-option-to-view-them

rhjanes
11-02-2018, 09:03
I'm not sure this is a problem so please forgive me if I'm just confused. I normally click the New Posts tab every day to see what I've missed since the last time I've checked the forums. I thought that in the past, when I've stepped through the pages and went back and clicked the New Posts button again that same day, that there wouldn't be any new posts (or very few depending on how long it was since the last time).

Now it appears that when I read a post it's removed from the list but all the "new" posts remain. I'm not sure if I'm just mis-remembering how it used to work or if it's been changed. Also, maybe this is the way it's supposed to work and the old way was broken.

Just letting you know in case this isn't the intended behavior. Keep up the good work.
I do the same process. The new server/forum, is acting the same as it had before. It sort of depends on how you are navigating. I click "new posts" and get the list of stuff in descending order of stuff I've not read. Same as always. Once I read something and click "Back", it is still in the list. However ANY refresh action will remove the one's you've read. If you don't click the "mark all read" when you wander off, and then when you come back and click "show" again, you get NEW stuff at the top, a break line about "posts below have stuff you didn't read last time". If you click the "mark all read", then the list goes to nothing (until someone posts, which could be within a moment). Pressing the "refresh" button (F5 on IE and Firefox), will also remove the one's you've already read.
So, basically, working as it always did.

blgoode
11-02-2018, 09:17
This shows you the threads you’ve participated in. Doesn’t replace the notifications but nice to have regardless.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/119164-Participated-threads-one-option-to-view-them

I just wish I was getting email notifications so I could participte in conversations in threads easier. Maybe it will work itself out.

TallPaul
11-02-2018, 09:29
I just wish I was getting email notifications so I could participte in conversations in threads easier. Maybe it will work itself out.

I hear ya.
Did you check your spam folder? :)

QFT
11-02-2018, 10:32
I think we should re-PHP the CloudFront to load balance the Palo Altos in order to allow the Kubernetes containers to better utilize the T1

TrailSlug
11-02-2018, 10:33
I think we should re-PHP the CloudFront to load balance the Palo Altos in order to allow the Kubernetes containers to better utilize the T1
That would work ;)

blgoode
11-02-2018, 11:29
I hear ya.
Did you check your spam folder? :)
Oh yes. Nothing at all.

blgoode
11-02-2018, 16:33
I changed my email address to see if that resolves anything on my end.

Tumbleweed
11-02-2018, 17:01
Seems to have lost all my information.
I am James Lautenbach.
380 First Street,
Rosholt, WI 54473
[email protected]
Tumbleweed on HF.
Please reboot.
715-572-5342 or 715-677-3143

blgoode
11-02-2018, 18:12
Still no email notifications. I'll look at on desktop and see if I can tell how I may can help

Lebreton
11-02-2018, 18:26
Thanks for all you do to keep us connected

attroll
11-02-2018, 18:27
I probably wouldn't have noticed it but because of the changes I've been paying more attention to details than I normally would. I noticed there still seems to be a bit of cruft that sometimes appears between the title and the started by line. It looks like it might be a sliver of some text. It's not a big deal but I though I'd just mention it. I'm viewing it in Safari 11.1.2 on a Mac 10.11.6.

Scrope, I can not duplicate this. I hate to say this but unless I can duplicate it I can't troubleshoot it.
What are you using for a browser?

attroll
11-02-2018, 18:30

No, it does not work that way. For you to mark all the posts read you can go the the navigation bar and click on "Odds & Ends" and then click on "Mark All Forums Read".
Then after you do that and log back in, it will only show all new posts since then.

attroll
11-02-2018, 18:40
OK, I am not get new post emails either. I am looking into this.

OlTrailDog
11-02-2018, 19:16
As of 11/2 at 1814 MST I have had the errors when attempting to load images.

This has been true for using the "Basic Loader", the only one that has ever worked for me. It is true whether Quick Reply or Go Advanced. And it fails across several forum topics.

Folks are being cheated out of my incredible pictures. :lol:

Emogies are working ;-)

attroll
11-02-2018, 20:37
OK, I am not get new post emails either. I am looking into this.
I just got a notification. I think we fixed it.

blgoode
11-02-2018, 22:26
I just noticed I lost my donation member privlages. Can you check to see for me any info on this?

attroll
11-03-2018, 06:24
I just noticed I lost my donation member privlages. Can you check to see for me any info on this?

I am not sure what happened. It looks like you you might have tried to change you password maybe?
I have fixed it for you.

blgoode
11-03-2018, 06:34

I am not sure what happened. It looks like you you might have tried to change you password maybe?
I have fixed it for you. thank you

OlTrailDog
11-03-2018, 10:48
11/03 0941MST - Tried uploading pictures again this morning via Basic Uploader still failing with error message: "Hammockforums.net says: (filename): Upload of file failed" The other javascript loader never has worked for me, but the basic loader has always worked fine.

I tried it with Chrome and I could see the uploading process ascend through the upload percentage to 100%...followed by the error message. This seems to indicate the problem is on HF's end.

dkurfiss
11-03-2018, 10:51
11/03 0941MST - Tried uploading pictures again this morning via Basic Uploader still failing with error message: "Hammockforums.net says: (filename): Upload of file failed" The other javascript loader never has worked for me, but the basic loader has always worked fine.

I tried it with Chrome and I could see the uploading process ascend through the upload percentage to 100%...followed by the error message. This seems to indicate the problem is on HF's end.

Not saying this is the cause but maybe. On another forum if I don't reduce the size of my pictures, they won't upload. Perhaps our new software has a size delimiter build in. Please note, I am guessing as I don't know a thing about the new software but it might be worth a try to reduce your pictures size.

attroll
11-03-2018, 12:09

I can duplicate this. I am looking into it now.

attroll
11-03-2018, 14:24
OK, I think we have the uploading of image problem fixed.

dkurfiss
11-03-2018, 16:16
OK, I think we have the uploading of image problem fixed.

Can you share what it was? Inquiring minds you know :)

attroll
11-03-2018, 17:43
Can you share what it was? Inquiring minds you know :)
It was a setting on the new server. A memory setting was set to low.

OlTrailDog
11-03-2018, 18:16
"A memory setting was set to low." Sounds like my problem, at least that is what my wife use to say. :lol:

Thanks a bunch! Pictures are filling up your new servers as we speak!

Randonneur
11-06-2018, 20:25
170018 Just got this error while paging through a thread.

GadgetUK437
11-08-2018, 03:26
Anyone else having an issue with Tapatalk?
Been getting "server error" and no updates to HF since this happened.
(All my other fora on Tapa talk are working)

RazorSharp
11-08-2018, 05:50
Anyone else experiencing delays lately? The mobile site is unbearably slow to load for me-- counted 43 seconds this morning. Havent tried the site from my laptop.

Hoping that gets fixed soon.

TxAggie
11-08-2018, 06:41
Anyone else having an issue with Tapatalk?
Been getting "server error" and no updates to HF since this happened.
(All my other fora on Tapa talk are working)

Tapatalk has been working fine for me on both iPhone and iPad.

Anyone else experiencing delays lately? The mobile site is unbearably slow to load for me-- counted 43 seconds this morning. Havent tried the site from my laptop.

Hoping that gets fixed soon.

Last night I had about a 15 minute span where I couldn’t connect to the forum, and there have been a few times that were maybe 5 seconds slower than before the update, but nothing as long as you’re experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kac1269
11-08-2018, 09:05
The only issue I have been having is broken lines to photos and not all of them, some threads they are fine but others look like this. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/f02e45ddd0b68736290b6b3fc820fdb3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

blgoode
11-08-2018, 11:27
The only issue I have been having is broken lines to photos and not all of them, some threads they are fine but others look like this. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181108/f02e45ddd0b68736290b6b3fc820fdb3.jpg

Are you getting email notifications?

kac1269
11-08-2018, 11:54
Are you getting email notifications?Yes

kac1269
11-08-2018, 11:55
Yes

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkIt is only happening through taptalk, online on my desktop is fine

KBr00ks
11-08-2018, 16:21
As of last night, the avatar is gone from the HF tabs -- using Chrome v. 70.0.3538.77. In it's place is a sort of check mark thing.

attroll
11-08-2018, 16:32

Could you please let me know what thread that is happening in?

attroll
11-08-2018, 16:34
As of last night, the avatar is gone from the HF tabs -- using Chrome v. 70.0.3538.77. In it's place is a sort of check mark thing.
I am using Chrome Version 70.0.3538.77 and I am not seeing any issues with avatars. Are you still having this problem?

leiavoia
11-08-2018, 16:42
The "checkmark sort of thing" is the favicon:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/favicon.ico

However, the HTML is still pointing to the "real" favicon at:
https://www.hammockforums.net/favicon.ico

It seems like the browser prefers the more specific one in /forum, even though the HTML indicates to use the site-wide one. (I'm using FF)

Easy fix is to delete https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/favicon.ico

KBr00ks
11-08-2018, 17:10
Heh, well, if I open leiavoia's links in a new tab, they show with the "real" favicon.

I will try closing the tab and re-opening, though I just had to shut down and re-open Chrome for a software update earlier today. Don't know if a cache matters for favicons.

attroll
11-08-2018, 17:22
The "checkmark sort of thing" is the favicon:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/favicon.ico

However, the HTML is still pointing to the "real" favicon at:
https://www.hammockforums.net/favicon.ico

It seems like the browser prefers the more specific one in /forum, even though the HTML indicates to use the site-wide one. (I'm using FF)

Easy fix is to delete https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/favicon.ico
Strange indeed.
The icon that is on the /forum directory is the same one that is in the other directory.
I noticed that Chrome is the only one doing this. The favicon displays in the all other browsers.
I will have to look into this later.

leiavoia
11-08-2018, 17:51
Strange indeed.
The icon that is on the /forum directory is the same one that is in the other directory.
I noticed that Chrome is the only one doing this. The favicon displays in the all other browsers.
I will have to look into this later.

With an empty cache and hard refresh, there are definitely two different icons. (side note: These files have a 4-hour cache.)

The forum HTML has a relative link to the one in /forum:
<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

Update the icon file, or just put a forward slash in front to use the site-wide icon:
<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

attroll
11-08-2018, 18:09
With an empty cache and hard refresh, there are definitely two different icons. (side note: These files have a 4-hour cache.)

The forum HTML has a relative link to the one in /forum:
<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

Update the icon file, or just put a forward slash in front to use the site-wide icon:
<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

I did not realize there was a four hour cache. If that is the case then this could be the issue. The forums software was updated the other day and that vb icon was placed there. I replaced it with the correct icon just about an hour ago.

kac1269
11-09-2018, 00:25
Could you please let me know what thread that is happening in?As in the picture, "I got a new toy" thread from Dutch and many others, some pictures come through but most don't.

attroll
11-09-2018, 21:46
I am not have any issues viewing that in Tapatalk.
Here are my screen shots.

kac1269
11-09-2018, 23:22
Thanks I am sure it's my issue thanks for the time

scrope
11-12-2018, 14:47
Scrope, I can not duplicate this. I hate to say this but unless I can duplicate it I can't troubleshoot it.
What are you using for a browser?

I'm using MS Edge on Windows 10.

attroll
11-12-2018, 18:23
I'm using MS Edge on Windows 10.
I am also using MS Edge on Windows 10 and I am not having this problem.
If you are still having, you might want to try clearing you browsers cache.

KBr00ks
11-12-2018, 21:32
Favicon is fixed. :)

attroll
11-12-2018, 21:44
Favicon is fixed. :)
Yup, I figured out what the problem was.

KBr00ks
11-13-2018, 10:30
Thanks! It's a very minor thing to complain about, but when you routinely keep 20+ tabs open like I do, it's crucial to be able to find that one 'special' tab quickly. :D

Eidson
11-13-2018, 10:38
Yup, I figured out what the problem was.

Thanks!!!!

Thanks! It's a very minor thing to complain about, but when you routinely keep 20+ tabs open like I do, it's crucial to be able to find that one 'special' tab quickly. :D

I'm with you. I never thought this little thing would bother me, but it was annoying me to no end.

attroll
11-13-2018, 22:55
Thanks!!!!

I'm with you. I never thought this little thing would bother me, but it was annoying me to no end.

Believe me. It was annoying the heck out of me too. I thought it was the Chrome browser cache and playing around with that showed it was not. Then I thought it was Google caching things. I waited for a few days and figured it was not Google. I thought it was the web site caching things. I cleared the web site cache and that did not fix it. I consulted with my technician and it was the DNS services that was caching things. Once I cleared the cache there it started working again.

Rouskof
11-14-2018, 18:49
I use Chrome on Windows XP and the forum doesn't work anymore. It says " this website doesn't offer a secure connection" ( like a number of web sites on the web by the way, apparently the newer ones). So now I can only watch the hammock Forums on my cell phone. Do you plan on doing this website responsive any time soon ?

attroll
11-14-2018, 20:17
I use Chrome on Windows XP and the forum doesn't work anymore. It says " this website doesn't offer a secure connection" ( like a number of web sites on the web by the way, apparently the newer ones). So now I can only watch the hammock Forums on my cell phone. Do you plan on doing this website responsive any time soon ?
I am not getting any type of message like this and I am also using Chrome on Windows 10. Maybe it has something to do with Windows XP. What version of Chrome are you using?

Rouskof
11-15-2018, 09:00
Yes, it is XP. Because of old version of Chrome only available on XP

RazorSharp
11-15-2018, 09:33
New server probably has TLS v1.0 disabled because it is not secure. Old version of Chrome may not be able to use TLS v1.1 or higher.

I strongly encourage the upgrade to your O.S. and keep everything updated with automatic security patches.

OutandBack
12-04-2018, 17:17
Yes, it is XP. Because of old version of Chrome only available on XP

Hi Rouskof, Please look thru your PM box it is full and a member is trying to contact you. They PM'd me as mod but I can't access your PMs.

blgoode
12-05-2018, 09:26
I wish I was getting email notification for subscribed threads :(

dkurfiss
12-05-2018, 11:47
I wish I was getting email notification for subscribed threads :(

I just subscribed to this thread to see if I get email notifications

attroll
12-08-2018, 16:32
I am getting email notifications.
Have you checked you spam folder to see if they are getting placed in there?

dkurfiss
12-08-2018, 17:47
I am also getting email notifications. I have a gmail.com address...perhaps your carrier/email provider is blocking?

blgoode
12-10-2018, 08:24
I am also getting email notifications. I have a gmail.com address...perhaps your carrier/email provider is blocking?

I tried with a different email carrier and same thing. :( no notifications.