PDA

View Full Version : EGL's 2019 Winter Season

Pages : [1] 2

Chard
11-01-2018, 11:48
EGL's 2019 Winter Season: Winter Camping Symposium (Late Nov), Gearing Up Car Camping (Mid Jan) and Backwoods Deep Freeze (Early Feb)

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_4180-2-3_89838.jpg

Hi everyone!

Went for a drive up around Creemore last Saturday and saw a light dusting of snow in the fields. Beautiful country up around there. Winter tires are on and now I'm eager to put them to good use and nothing makes me happier than a good winter hang!

Last year I wrote:

"As for the Gearing up, why don't we formalize our tradition and say that the second weekend of each year we try to start the year off right by getting together and freezing our butts off. First weekend for family, second weekend for old (cold?) friends. Valens has proven a perfect spot, being relatively close to a number of folks, excellent usage fees, but I'm not above considering other drive to locations in the future."

That puts us at January 11-13, 2019 for Valens. I'll call ahead to our firewood provider and hopefully we'll have some nice cool weather.

As for the back country hang, lets pencil in Feb 1-3 for now. Where? Niger Lake was nice last year; Crown land, no fees and fairly easy access but no dang fish! Whet Newdell and KeyWayKeno mentioned a nice Crown land spot on their lake south of Parry Sound. Of course there's Silent Lake, Kawartha Highlands, Frontenac, Algonquin, Killarney and a score of other parks. Come to think of it, a night atop the crack in Killarney sounds pretty exciting. While I suspect that Lofty and Iguana could skip up there like Legolas and Boromir on the Redhorn Pass, it would be a difficult toil for ordinary mortal folk. Come to think of it, Jiblets made that climb a couple of years back as well! A long drive as well, but carpooling's an option and the scenery is second to none. No matter, we can settle on where later.

tessiea
11-01-2018, 12:42
Hi all, is this an open invitation? Would love to try my hand at winter camping this year and am sure I can pick up some valuable tips here. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chard
11-01-2018, 12:59
Hi all, is this an open invitation? Would love to try my hand at winter camping this year and am sure I can pick up some valuable tips here. Thanks

Hi Tessiea,

The EGL's all about encouraging everyone to come out and join the fun. Come one, come all. If you're just starting winter hammock camping then I'd suggest you come out to the Valens car camping hang before heading into the back country, where mistakes can have much more serious consequences. At Valens you can grab a spare sleeping bag, blanket or Thermarest out of your car, take shelter in a heated washroom or, worst comes to worst, pack up and drive home.

LuvmyBonnet
11-01-2018, 15:52
I won't be able to make Winter Symposium/ Valens trip. That's Mom's Birthday weekend and Mom comes first.
I'm hoping to get my unused polk some use this season but there are possibilities that surgery could get in the way again. We'll see.

76 highboy
11-01-2018, 17:49
I am in. I am in. I am in! :)

Jayson
11-01-2018, 18:13
Not sure of plans for Valens weekend but cant make the backcountry weekend. Its the Bosses birthday.
If the weekend changes I would like to go and can borrow a truck that can carry 4 adults comfortably to help with carpooling.

tessiea
11-01-2018, 18:13
Hi Tessiea,

The EGL's all about encouraging everyone to come out and join the fun. Come one, come all. If you're just starting winter hammock camping then I'd suggest you come out to the Valens car camping hang before heading into the back country, where mistakes can have much more serious consequences. At Valens you can grab a spare sleeping bag, blanket or Thermarest out of your car, take shelter in a heated washroom or, worst comes to worst, pack up and drive home.

Thank you very much. Hoping to make it out.

Chard
11-01-2018, 20:12
Not sure of plans for Valens weekend but cant make the backcountry weekend. Its the Bosses birthday.
If the weekend changes I would like to go and can borrow a truck that can carry 4 adults comfortably to help with carpooling.

If it works better for you, I'm fine with Feb 8-10. It'd be good to get out with you again Jay!

Jayson
11-01-2018, 21:24
Will check the calendar. Would be nice to get together...been awhile.

Bubba
11-03-2018, 13:00
Feb 8 to 10 looks best for me at this point. Hope to make both Valens hangs but we’ll see. Niger was great last year. Snowshoeing in was a lot easier with no snow:).

Lofty
11-03-2018, 18:01
Hey Chard

Just wanted mention - there's a full moon the weekend of January 19-20 with a total lunar eclipse on Sunday Jan 20.
Eclipse starts about 10:15 and totally peaks at 12:15.

I'll be in Killarney that weekend hiking - hopefully it's clear out !

Sorry to hijack this thread

Cheers

Lofty

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chard
11-03-2018, 18:41
Hey Chard

Just wanted mention - there's a full moon the weekend of January 19-20 with a total lunar eclipse on Sunday Jan 20.

Cheers

Lofty

That's really cool, but a Sunday overnighter kinda sucks for anyone needing to be at work Monday morning.

KeeWayKeno
11-03-2018, 19:11
Recently captured on my backyard trailcam ... careful lads, might want to pack a few pitchforks & torches.*

* Silver bullets optional.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181104/b61496dad9123abbe44e78acfadb8bb4.jpg

(Apologies, I'm just acting out jealousy as I can't participate.)

Bubba
11-03-2018, 22:12
Hey Chard

Cheers

Lofty

That’ll be cool. Get pics if you can.

Chard
11-04-2018, 02:29
Recently captured on my backyard trailcam ... careful lads, might want to pack a few pitchforks & torches.*

* Silver bullets optional.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181104/b61496dad9123abbe44e78acfadb8bb4.jpg

(Apologies, I'm just acting out jealousy as I can't participate.)

I have it on good advice that nothing soothes the lycanthrope's heart like a steaming bowl of pea soup, and with all of those muscles, he'd be a prefect moonlight portager. The trick is that we have to convince him to be a little more vegan.

Bubba
11-04-2018, 15:32
I hear chowda and assorted meats are also soothing.;)

Max B
11-05-2018, 09:29
I’m looking forward to another trip with the group! Not sure which one(s) I can make yet but will confirm before the trip. Thanks!

LuvmyBonnet
11-05-2018, 09:49

That's a picture of me when I don't have my morning coffee! :lol:

Jayson
11-05-2018, 22:33
Looks like I should be good for February 8 to 10th.

Iguana
11-09-2018, 02:08
Feb 8th weekend works for me as well.

I also plan to join in on the pre-winter-camping-symposium-shenanigans at Valens on the 23rd. (14 Days from now)

Not to derail the thread to much but if anyone has Info on renting a Hot Tent for a few nights please PM me. Looking for something along the lines of a Snow Trekker EXP Basecamp.

-Iguana

tessiea
11-09-2018, 06:18

I also plan to join in on the pre-winter-camping-symposium-shenanigans at Valens on the 23rd. (14 Days from now)

Not to derail the thread to much but if anyone has Info on renting a Hot Tent for a few nights please PM me. Looking for something along the lines of a Snow Trekker EXP Basecamp.

-Iguana

You could try contacting Canadian Outdoor Equipment in Mississauga. Last time I was in there about a month ago they mentioned that they offer hot tent rentals. Unfortunately I can’t find any information about rentals on their website though.

Mr.hammockcamper
11-09-2018, 06:55
I am new to the forum but would love to come to some of these events. I should be able to make it to the Valens trip, not sure about the February one though.

ggreaves
11-09-2018, 18:55

-Iguana

Wait... are we camping at Valens before the symposium (23rd) or after (24th)? I thought we were heading to valens on the saturday after the symposium

Chard
11-10-2018, 01:37
Wait... are we camping at Valens before the symposium (23rd) or after (24th)? I thought we were heading to valens on the saturday after the symposium

My understanding was that we were heading over to Valens after the symposium for the main hang, although nothings stopping folks from staging at Valens the day before..

tessiea
11-10-2018, 17:36
If anyone comes across any extra tickets for the symposium I’d be willing to buy one. I hesitated and missed my chance before they sold out.

Chard
11-11-2018, 21:27
If anyone comes across any extra tickets for the symposium I’d be willing to buy one. I hesitated and missed my chance before they sold out.

Same thing happened to me last year. Sorry, but if I had a spare, you'd be the first on the list.

Niagara
11-12-2018, 05:50
I am new to the forum but would love to come to some of these events. I should be able to make it to the Valens trip, not sure about the February one though.

Welcome to the forums. this is a good group of folks that enjoy excellent company, great food, and the occasional nap in the frosty air.
Be sure to post in the Introductions for a proper welcome!
Niagara

keg
11-13-2018, 23:43
.... The trick is that we have to convince him to be a little more vegan.

Or just convince him that other people are tastier. Ignore me if I sprinkle Montreal steak spice on you.

Should be in for January, we'll see about Feb. I keep wanting to do winter backcountry but it never works out.

Chard
11-14-2018, 00:00
Should be in for January, we'll see about Feb. I keep wanting to do winter backcountry but it never works out.

Frankly the thought of you winter camping scares me a little. Your summer slumbers are so legendary that I'd be afraid you'd go to bed and hibernate until the spring! :lol:

Niagara
11-14-2018, 05:54
Chard...!!!! :thumbup::thumbup: last post by Chard at 00:00

(I know.... I'm easily amused)

ggreaves
11-14-2018, 09:27
I have 2 extra olive barrels if anybody wants them (Niagara and Keewaykeno are taking some too). $10 each. I'll bring to Valens if anyone's interested.

ggreaves
11-14-2018, 09:29

I'd suggest possibly reaching out to the sponsors (especially if you're one of their customers) to see if they have any comp tickets. I know this was happening last year.

tessiea
11-14-2018, 09:40
I'd suggest possibly reaching out to the sponsors (especially if you're one of their customers) to see if they have any comp tickets. I know this was happening last year.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give that a try. If anyone else missed out on tickets and is in the London area, MEC is having a Backcountry 101 - Learn to Winter Camp session at the store on the same day. Not quite the same thing but atleast it's free.

https://events.mec.ca/node/239971

keg
11-14-2018, 13:13
Frankly the thought of you winter camping scares me a little. Your summer slumbers are so legendary that I'd be afraid you'd go to bed and hibernate until the spring! :lol:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Iguana
11-14-2018, 16:33
I have 2 extra olive barrels if anybody wants them (Niagara and Keewaykeno are taking some too). $10 each. I'll bring to Valens if anyone's interested.
I would take one :)

KeeWayKeno
11-16-2018, 09:50
Heading to Valens Friday sounds like a great idea. Two nights is better than one! If anybody else is interested, maybe carpooling to the Symposium would work. Given our penchant for solo boating though, perhaps not ;-)

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

ggreaves
11-16-2018, 15:51
Heading to Valens Friday sounds like a great idea. Two nights is better than one! If anybody else is interested, maybe carpooling to the Symposium would work. Given our penchant for solo boating though, perhaps not ;-)

Only if I can ride in the back and steer

tessiea
11-16-2018, 16:22
Managed to snag a ticket (thanks to Niagara for the tip). Have to run it by the wife first, but wondering if there'd be any objection to me joining in for the Saturday night at Valens?

Chard
11-16-2018, 16:34
Managed to snag a ticket (thanks to Niagara for the tip). Have to run it by the wife first, but wondering if there'd be any objection to me joining in for the Saturday night at Valens?

Dude! I find your questioning if there's an objection objectionable! Of course you're welcome! Mention at the main gate that your with the hammocking gang and you should be set.

KeeWayKeno, are you going to book the site? I'll only be there Saturday night.

BigGreenMoose
11-16-2018, 16:41
I'm in for the symposium, and got spousal leave for Saturday night at Valens.

Heading down from Ajax early Saturday morning if anyone needs a carpool ride from the big city.

Hopefully the forecast (+7°C) holds out! Warmer UQ is on loan.170194

tessiea
11-16-2018, 16:52
Dude! I find your questioning if there's an objection objectionable! Of course you're welcome! Mention at the main gate that your with the hammocking gang and you should be set.

Fair enough. I have never joined you guys before so just didn’t want to show up uninvited. I’m just not used to this kind of hospitality.

KeeWayKeno
11-16-2018, 20:28

Didn't think reserving was necessary, can't imagine the place will be busy. Besides, I'm not 100% yet. Solo at Valens sounds a bit, I dunno, boring? A guy can only chase raccoons around for so long.

Niagara
11-16-2018, 21:21
Solo at Valens sounds a bit, I dunno, boring?

I think you spelled 'heavenly' wrong.
Niagara

IrishSitter
11-18-2018, 17:16
Hoping this Buffalo pair can finally join this crew for some frozen fun. Girlfriend is chomping at the bit to try winter hanging.

Lofty
11-18-2018, 17:28
Looks like I'm in for Saturday night at Valens !

Chard
11-18-2018, 22:05
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180510/7dd0f0d9cda9a989dbbb4ec067056e16.jpg
76 Highboy's map of Valens

For the newcomers, we've traditionally camped on site 134. Basically $10/car plus a site fee divided amongst the group. I'll call Valens tomorrow and give them the heads up for Saturday afternoon/night. We normally have a fire festooned with grilling meats.

Jiblets
11-19-2018, 14:20
I'm in for Saturday night. Forecast is for a little above freezing, but I will bring an extra underquilt for anyone anyone concerned about warmth.

I'm considering buying a 4'x10' sheet of black UHMW PE to make a toboggan, is anyone interested in splitting it 3 ways? It'll make three 8' toboggans about 15-7/8" wide. It would be $120ea if I cut it on my table saw or $135ea if they cut it. Individually it would be $180, in which case I'd rather buy the kit from Canadian Outdoor Equip. If I get 2 takers I can bring it to Valens.

Mr.hammockcamper
11-19-2018, 14:56
I'm in for Saturday night. Forecast is for a little above freezing, but I will bring an extra underquilt for anyone anyone concerned about warmth.

I'm considering buying a 4'x10' sheet of black UHMW PE to make a toboggan, is anyone interested in splitting it 3 ways? It'll make three 8' toboggans about 15-7/8" wide. It would be $120ea if I cut it on my table saw or $135ea if they cut it. Individually it would be $180, in which case I'd rather buy the kit from Canadian Outdoor Equip. If I get 2 takers I can bring it to Valens.

I would be interested in buying a toboggan. Although I am not sure if I will be camping at Valens this weekend.

Chard
11-20-2018, 23:51
Anybody bringing a load of wood, or should I try to arrange for a trunk-load from our local firewood source?

I just checked the Valens' forecast for Saturday night and had to chuckle.:lol:

ggreaves
11-21-2018, 11:11
so who's going in Friday? I'm planning on being there but not till late afternoon.

KeeWayKeno
11-21-2018, 11:31
so who's going in Friday? I'm planning on being there but not till late afternoon.I was planning to but can't ... leaking intake gasket repair that won't be finished until Friday night.
I hope.
If it spills over to Saturday I won't be happy.

Mr.hammockcamper
11-21-2018, 11:37
I may try to make it for Saturday night. But it’s a toss up between hanging and going to the cottage

76 highboy
11-21-2018, 14:31
I'm coming off nights,but if I get some sleep I''ll come out late friday.
Sadly packing tarp,rainwear and rubber boots. Yuk
I will bring a small amount of wood.
Mr hammockcamper: you can go to the cottage anytime. Wouldnt you rather sit in our cold,damp,smokey tarp covered campsite. It'll be fun. :lol:

Mr.hammockcamper
11-21-2018, 15:28
I'm coming off nights,but if I get some sleep I''ll come out late friday.
Sadly packing tarp,rainwear and rubber boots. Yuk
I will bring a small amount of wood.
Mr hammockcamper: you can go to the cottage anytime. Wouldnt you rather sit in our cold,damp,smokey tarp covered campsite. It'll be fun. :lol:

When you put it like that how could I say no. I am not 100% sure yet but I think I will be seeing you all Saturday night

Mr.hammockcamper
11-21-2018, 19:28
It’s official. I’ll be seeing you all this weekend!!

KeeWayKeno
11-21-2018, 19:41
Anybody bringing a load of wood, or should I try to arrange for a trunk-load from our local firewood source?

Whet Newdell is a "probable" drop-in Saturday night ... can't stay overnight but hoping to enjoy some fireside yuks with everybody. If he makes it, a pile of wood will come too. Should know for sure by the time we're heading to Valens after the Symposium so we'll have an opportunity to grab some elsewhere if necessary.

Chard
11-21-2018, 21:10
Whet Newdell is a "probable" drop-in Saturday night ... can't stay overnight but hoping to enjoy some fireside yuks with everybody. If he makes it, a pile of wood will come too. Should know for sure by the time we're heading to Valens after the Symposium so we'll have an opportunity to grab some elsewhere if necessary.

I've arranged to pick up a sedan's trunk load of firewood 7am Saturday morning, but any extra is a bonus.

Bubba
11-22-2018, 06:24
What time will the Symposium attendees be arriving at Valens?

tessiea
11-22-2018, 06:28
I would assume 4-4:30. Symposium ends at 3:30 and then it’s about a 40 minute drive. Going to be setting up in the dark I guess

Chard
11-22-2018, 08:41
What time will the Symposium attendees be arriving at Valens?

I would assume 4-4:30. Symposium ends at 3:30 and then it’s about a 40 minute drive. Going to be setting up in the dark I guess

Honestly worst case, I'd push that out maybe an hour or so to 5-5:30, to allow for a little schedule slippage with the speakers and some post-seminar mingling/shopping.

That being said, sunset's around quarter to five and it would be nice not to set up in the dark, but it wouldn't be the first time. Fortunately Valens' trees make it easy to find a spot.

Mr.hammockcamper
11-22-2018, 08:45
Jut a few questions about Saturday night. I assume everyone brings their own food, but I’m not sure as it is my first egl hang. Lastly, Are there ample trees to hang from? I can hang from one tree and use my truck for the other. I am planning to be there around 4:30 ish on Saturday.

Chard
11-22-2018, 08:54
Jut a few questions about Saturday night. I assume everyone brings their own food, but I’m not sure as it is my first egl hang. Lastly, Are there ample trees to hang from? I can hang from one tree and use my truck for the other. I am planning to be there around 4:30 ish on Saturday.

Fire will be roaring so bring your own food.
But be ready to "share" if you're in the mood.
Site 134 has trees planted in rows.
Which two will suit you, nobody knows.

Happy Thanksgiving for those of you south of the border!

Mr.hammockcamper
11-22-2018, 08:58
Fire will be roaring so bring your own food.
But be ready to "share" if you're in the mood.
Site 134 has trees has planted in rows.
Which two will suit you, nobody knows.

Happy Thanksgiving for those of you south of the border!

Awesome!! Sounds like a blast. I’ll bring some extra food just in case!

Chard
11-22-2018, 09:05
Awesome!! Sounds like a blast. I’ll bring some extra food just in case!

Honestly, these Valens hangs are usually case studies in gluttony so don't bring too much. Everyone brings more than enough for themselves. :scared::scared:

KeeWayKeno
11-22-2018, 09:51
Honestly, these Valens hangs are usually case studies in gluttony so don't bring too much. Everyone brings more than enough for themselves. :scared::scared:Don't listen to him ... bring meat!

Chard
11-22-2018, 10:23
Don't listen to him ... bring meat!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

76 highboy
11-22-2018, 17:33
Thats the spirit! :)

ggreaves
11-23-2018, 10:46
not going to valens this afternoon - see you in waterloo tomorrow.

keg
11-23-2018, 13:11
I'll probably make it Saturday early afternoon. All this talk about mud makes me want to be there. Or was it that whole gluttony thing chard mentioned?

Maybe I can step it up with some sloth and envy too.

Niagara
11-23-2018, 15:30
Two more for Valens. (Me and my son) We will be heading there after Symposium.
Niagara

76 highboy
11-23-2018, 22:23
Hope to be standing around,finishing my my coffee in the "H" parking lot approx 8:15 ish. (traffic permitting.)
Let the gluttony and slothing begin.

Chard
11-23-2018, 22:44
I'll probably make it Saturday early afternoon. All this talk about mud makes me want to be there. Or was it that whole gluttony thing chard mentioned?

Maybe I can step it up with some sloth and envy too.

Hope to be standing around,finishing my my coffee in the "H" parking lot approx 8:15 ish. (traffic permitting.)
Let the gluttony and slothing begin.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/egl-sloth.jpg

keg
11-24-2018, 12:53
Not going to make it. Need to babysit my niece. I'm in for January though.

Bubba
11-25-2018, 13:59
Fun time as always. Good to see everyone again and it was nice to meet some new hangers.

tessiea
11-25-2018, 14:00
Thanks for the hospitality and great food everyone. Really enjoyed my first group hang and look forward to joining you guys again.

Mr.hammockcamper
11-25-2018, 14:01
That was an awesome outing!! Very happy I joined the forums and went to Valens. I am looking forward to Valens in January and future trips to come

Chard
11-25-2018, 15:23
I hope everyone had as great time a time as I did and it was nice to meet a couple of new gents; Tessiea and Mr.Hammockcamper. The evening basically consisted of intermittent drizzle and the most massive fire we've ever had at Valens. We had to constantly move a picnic bench back and forth just to endure the varying heat. Most of the conversations aren't fit for repeating on this family oriented forum, but suffice to say that some of us finally rolled into be well after 1 am, much to the relief of our neighbours.

A special callout goes to WhetNewdell for his amazing mango chutney pulled chicken sandwiches, to KayWayKeno for providing an absolutely delicious breakfast. Between the two of them, we basically didn't really have to cook any other food. Also to thanks to 76 Highboy for his gifting of a box of "pay-it-forward" gear to the all takers.
The 2nd Annual Winter Camping Symposium was very enlightening. We had a great lineup of speakers and the EGL cleaned up with the door prizes. The guys who snowshoed and skied across Algonquin were seriously next level winter campers.

Rhonda McMahon (from Stride and Stretch) and the Silver Summit Sisters - Winter Camping newbies, cold tenting and climbing Killarney's Silver Peak in winter!
Christina Scheuermann (aka Camper Christina (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgmeysN2_1SZ4b1Q379j1SQ) on YouTube) Designing and making your own hot tent
Buck Miller, Eric Batty and Ryan Atkins (Crossing Algonquin in Winter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIzzrwtsd0E) on YouTube) - Join the guys as they recap their 10 day trip across Algonquin Park this past winter.
Tim Foley (Canadian Outdoor Equipment Company (https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/)) - Choosing and maintaining your axes and knives
Glen Hooper - (aka WinterTrekker (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjcPsgFGrb39x0N-JDI8KRw) on YouTube) : Safety (stove safety, lake travel) to camping tips... during his many years of winter camping.

Huckleberry Hanger
11-25-2018, 17:22
Thanks again everyone, it was a blast! As always, had an early morning takedown to get home for dog walking, but was definitely thinking about the breakfast I would miss. Got a half decent night pic of the crew! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181125/187d32630c0e472411f05413c8152a24.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chard
11-25-2018, 20:43
Unfortunately I didn't get all of the group in the shot, but I did catch this great moment before the fire got big...

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/valens_nov_24_pano.jpg

BigGreenMoose
11-25-2018, 21:56
I snapped a few shots. I especially like KeeWayKeno dreaming of warmer weather with his beach umbrella... Perhaps on a beach in Italy!? Oddly similar pose!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181126/da875b8dfde8dce3f78d6a52948aed03.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181126/02d087f0923fcf66928f91b54b0a6b94.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181126/932f566f54e08087f159ff5deec00ebe.jpg170374

Bubba
11-26-2018, 03:14
Nice big fire

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/9/8/ea67ac4a-cd5f-48a5-9ad2-01d490ae0458.jpeg

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/9/8/3e8cd32f-46e0-4c3b-9061-6a57eacfc808.jpeg

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/9/8/cb741072-ba2a-4d8f-a9a1-d44441eaa3f2.jpeg

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/9/8/79ba6581-9680-46b1-98de-c0ec9b69309d.jpeg

They were brought, might as well use them

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/9/8/eae10b48-c275-4531-a308-4dbf8f9456df.jpeg

A box of wood in a wood box...on she goes

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/9/8/bd3ed472-dbbe-447c-9787-8b957f28164c.jpeg

Hoolio
11-26-2018, 09:32
Wow such a great turnout! Sad to have missed this one. Love the umbrellas and the tshirts!

76 highboy
11-27-2018, 00:42
What a great weekend.!, spending the day at the winter camping symposium and then staying the night at valens. It was good to get out after being laid up for a while. Nothing like hanging out with old friends and new ( Tessiea, Mr hammockcamper) yeah, I know I slept on the ground but was still technically "hanging out" right?
Thanks to KWK and Whetnewdell for the awesome grub. Delish!
Also like to thank the guys who excepted my surplus gear and such,use it and abuse it.
Cant wait for the winter tune up in january.

Whet Newdell
11-27-2018, 15:50
I think the fire could have been bigger...

Next year, more wood!!!

Whet Newdell

Chard
11-27-2018, 16:47
https://imgflip.com/i/2nl5ud
https://imgflip.com/i/2nl5udhttps://i.imgflip.com/2nl5ud.jpg

I think I'm going to need a bigger trunk!

Lofty
11-27-2018, 16:52
yeah, I know I slept on the ground but was still technically "hanging out" right?

What a sec.
First I hear you have a canoe
Now you are sleeping on the ground

I'm not sure if we can be friends anymore [emoji12]

Hehe - looking forward to the next hang !

BigGreenMoose
11-27-2018, 17:30
Giblets mentioned Gostwear.com as a source for wool pants, but there was a wool supplier in Northern Ontario that you guys were talking about around the fire.

I thought Niagara mentioned Hegley, but my Google searches reveal nothing. Anyone recall?

Figured I'd ask here rather than PM in case others were also looking for it.
Cheers!

Huckleberry Hanger
11-27-2018, 18:04
I asked Niagara the same thing, and this is what he sent me " I think Rob has made the Lure of the north kits. But the one I mentioned was Eglis sheep farm in Northern Ontario".

BigGreenMoose
11-27-2018, 18:41
I asked Niagara the same thing, and this is what he sent me " I think Rob has made the Lure of the north kits. But the one I mentioned was Eglis sheep farm in Northern Ontario".

Sent from my Pixel XL using TapatalkAh! That makes sense. Thank you both.

Niagara
11-27-2018, 19:03
Ah! That makes sense. Thank you both.

I believe they are from the same manufacture - just different vendors.
https://eglifarm.com/collections/work-wear/pants

KeeWayKeno
11-28-2018, 10:19
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2267919956611332&id=545340062202672

Hey gang,
If you enjoyed the Winter Symposium, heads up for the Canoe Symposium April 13 ... tickets just went on sale!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181128/b9ec854a8b38f25122d7a5238c499ac9.jpg

tessiea
11-28-2018, 10:34
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2267919956611332&id=545340062202672

Hey gang,
If you enjoyed the Winter Symposium, heads up for the Canoe Symposium April 13 ... tickets just went on sale!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181128/b9ec854a8b38f25122d7a5238c499ac9.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. Just picked up a pair so Im not scrambling last minute like last week.

76 highboy
11-28-2018, 12:31
What a sec.
First I hear you have a canoe
Now you are sleeping on the ground

I'm not sure if we can be friends anymore [emoji12]

Hehe - looking forward to the next hang !

After 5 years sleeping in a hammock I just wanted to try the ground dwelling thing to see if I still could tolerate it.
Nope.
Emergency only.

LuvmyBonnet
11-28-2018, 18:53
[QUOTE=KeeWayKeno;1936271]https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2267919956611332&id=545340062202672

Hey gang,
If you enjoyed the Winter Symposium, heads up for the Canoe Symposium April 13 ... tickets just went on sale!

Great! I should be able to make this one. I picked up a ticket already because I think this will have even more demand than the Winter Symposium. Maybe we can link this to another Valens hang.

KeeWayKeno
12-01-2018, 09:15
I guess this should be in a different thread, but I haven't figured out how to do that. Sorry, my techo-savvy is stuck in the Jurassic.

Jimadactyl Portersaurushttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181201/5c76ffd05f38d20a1da13559bd001efd.jpg

Huckleberry Hanger
12-01-2018, 11:38
Got mine! You guys did a great sales job at the Valens hang so not going to miss it. Next Valens hang I hope I have a stove to put in this!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181201/003f9e57d006b62a346e493e94f1b01a.jpg

ConnieB
12-03-2018, 11:18
Just got mine. This will be my first canoe symposium. I look forward to learning something new. Valens afterwards would be good.

ggreaves
12-03-2018, 16:16
Got mine! You guys did a great sales job at the Valens hang so not going to miss it. Next Valens hang I hope I have a stove to put in this!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181201/003f9e57d006b62a346e493e94f1b01a.jpg

Looks awesome!! Does it have the liner in it? That brightens up the interior considerably.

ggreaves
12-03-2018, 16:20
us pentagonal shaped hot tent people have to stick together... Chard has a tent like yours too i believe...

Huckleberry Hanger
12-03-2018, 17:13
I am actually looking for a liner for it in the new year. Yes, very dark but super happy with it!

Huckleberry Hanger
12-03-2018, 17:16
Nice tent btw!
us pentagonal shaped hot tent people have to stick together... Chard has a tent like yours too i believe...

Chard
12-03-2018, 18:09

I do.

Full outfit including aluminum centre pole and stove weighs a ton. Hauled it out twice and needed help hauling it back (thanks guys). I only set it up once and even then barely used it because EGL'ers are a hardcore bunch of SOB's who would rather stand around a fire in -30C weather than crowd into a tent! Not the best solo backcountry shelter in my opinion. Hopefully it'll get some use this winter.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/the_beast.jpg

Huckleberry Hanger
12-03-2018, 22:08
Still thinking will be a fun addition!

Chard
12-04-2018, 13:52
Still thinking will be a fun addition!

Don't get me wrong. For base camping near a vehicle (Valens, Mew Lake, etc...) or a group of hot tenters willing to divide up the load, it works fine. It's military after all! I was just talking about using it as a solo backcountry shelter.

Jayson
12-05-2018, 12:16
So I was wondering if there were any thoughts of a destination for this year yet.

Chard
12-05-2018, 17:19
So I was wondering if there were any thoughts of a destination for this year yet.

Hiya Jayson!

Nothing firm yet.

Crown Land has proven popular and while Niger and our last camp in particular was nice, it didn't really offer a selfish photographer any epic views.

Killarney's probably too far, so I'd love to hear any suggestions. Worst comes to worst, we have another great time on Niger.

Not very helpful. Sorry.

LuvmyBonnet
12-12-2018, 16:09
Looks like I should be able to make the January Valens Hang. I'm bummed to probably be missing the Back Country hang in February but I'm probably going to be in Re-cooperate mode in February. Getting back to bionic.
My polk is getting upset. This could be the 4th year of no use.

Hoolio
12-13-2018, 13:47
Looking good for January! Heather will likely not join unless we get a hot tent from Santa lol.

Huckleberry Hanger
12-13-2018, 14:08
Hey Hoolio, If I can get away for this I am planning on bringing a hot tent for fun, but not to sleep in. You guys would be welcome to sleep in it if you like?
Looking good for January! Heather will likely not join unless we get a hot tent from Santa lol.

Hoolio
12-13-2018, 14:45
Oh i will mention this to her! She gets spoiled at these gatherings lol .. That is so nice of you to offer. Thanks.

Chard
12-23-2018, 18:47
Seasons greetings everyone!

I just wanted to throw out an idea for our "gearing up" hang Jan 11 to 13.

I know that we normally go to Valens, but if there's no snow on the ground, I was wondering if the group wanted to shift our venue to above the snowline to say Algonquin's Mew Lake, Silent Lake, Frontenac, or wherever. Crown land would be nice as well, but it has to be a car camping spot.

Objections are as important as endorsements. I wouldn't want to put anybody out and make it impossible to attend our annual grill-fest!

Bubba
12-23-2018, 20:55
I’m only in for one night and I’m 50/50 anyways so I can’t say either way. If I can go I would only be willing to go to Valens due to the shorter drive. Two nights would be a different story but unfortunately I can’t do two.

tessiea
12-24-2018, 09:42
I’m in the same boat as Bubba, probably 50/50 at the moment. Algonquin would be a long way to go from London for one night.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

KeeWayKeno
12-24-2018, 10:01
Sadly I'm out again this year, spending two months with my bride wandering around the Gulf coast in our "mobile hot tent". I'll while away the days daydreaming of the French River in Spring.

A very Merry Christmas to you all & your families!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181224/7b874e7f06119960d343516b35dbe387.jpg

Look sad, don't I? [emoji41]

ConnieB
12-24-2018, 13:15
Anywhere is nicer than downtown Toronto. Get us outta here!

May be a late arrival on the 11th. Jan. 12-13 for sure.

Happy holidays everyone!

Niagara
12-24-2018, 15:43
I'm in for two nights. Valens proximity makes it more travel friendly, however Mew Lake is on my list of places to try so that is my #2.
Q? - having only seen the place on youtube - is it group hammockable?

tessiea
12-24-2018, 15:56
I’ve only been to Mew Lake once with my wife and we had a hard time hanging just two hammocks on a site. That obviously isn’t indicative of the whole place just some food for thought.

Mr.hammockcamper
12-24-2018, 18:51
I’m good for anywhere. Only done Valens once but it was definitely easy to get to.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Chard
12-25-2018, 14:18
Thanks for then input folks. Consider my Valens relocation suggestion retracted.

Honestly, it is an amazingly convenient spot for so many of us, both in terms of location and amenities. Let's hope for a brutally cold and stormy new year!

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/quilts_warm_enoughd.jpg

Cruiser51
12-26-2018, 11:36
Sort of on topic, sort of not ...but is there any way to pickup tickets to "Ontario Backcountry Canoe Symposium" .

I was going to just purchase online, but those terms of service scared me off.

Sooo, is there a way to just pickup tickets and not give away all my personal and financial data?

Brian

KeeWayKeno
12-26-2018, 11:52
You can try reaching out to David Bain, the organizer through their Facebook page.
Just FYI, I've been getting my tickets online for years no issues. David & the many volunteers who make this non-profit event happen every year use the ticketing service just to simplify the process.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

LuvmyBonnet
12-26-2018, 19:55
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181224/7b874e7f06119960d343516b35dbe387.jpg

Bravo! You're one smart cookie...

Cruiser51
12-27-2018, 08:53
Thanks KWK, I will look into contacting him.

I realize for something like this, many great people do it largely for the love of the sport ... it is the service they use which collects the person and financial information and basically the terms we have to agree to ..... which seem to say they can use the information as they see fit.

If they added PayPal ... all the personal data and credit card info wouldn't be required, it would be reduced to just an email. I am just a little sensitive to handing out credit card info with security info and such on a general site.

Brian

Hoolio
01-02-2019, 12:53
Santa brought me a new LSOH hammock to try out. I may not have all the Winter equipment but I will give it my darndest.

LuvmyBonnet
01-02-2019, 13:26
Santa brought me a new LSOH hammock to try out. I may not have all the Winter equipment but I will give it my darndest.

Congrats on the new hammock. Those Little Shop of Hammocks look to be very nice.
Let me know what gear you are short on and I should be able to hook you up.

Hoolio
01-02-2019, 13:32
Thanks again for the offer LMB. I have all I need they could just use improvements. I've slept in the minus teens with less than I have now.

BigGreenMoose
01-03-2019, 07:28
Hopefully you guys get some winter weather next week! I've got my father-in-law's 80th party, otherwise I'd come out and test my gear/fortitude. Here's hoping for a midweek blizzard and winter wonderland weekend for you guys!

Way off topic and season... but for those of us with kayaks (and aging bodies), Amazon.ca is selling the Thule Hull-a-vator kayak lifts for over half off (usually $600+ now on for $300 cdn).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00R6SBJO0

Didn't want that deal to go by without a mention.

LuvmyBonnet
01-03-2019, 16:45
That's a great deal for the Hullavator. I've owned one for several years and have left it on the car throughout the winter. They work great. Definitely makes loading a kayak a breeze.

Jayson
01-03-2019, 18:04
Any thoughts/opinions on using the Sunday lake dog sled trail in Algonquin Park? Fees apply but there is parking and a "groomed" trail to follow. Just cant walk without snowshoes or skis.

Chard
01-03-2019, 18:59
Sounds interesting. I like the idea of walking an established trail. Not fond of fees, but who is?

Sunday Lake Dog Sled Trail network (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/pdf/map_dogsled_sundaylake.pdf).

ggreaves
01-04-2019, 12:23
are cars allowed to be left overnight there? If so, that would provide a way to get into the backcountry safely without having to break trail all the way. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Chard
01-04-2019, 12:43
are cars allowed to be left overnight there? If so, that would provide a way to get into the backcountry safely without having to break trail all the way. Sounds like a great idea to me.

It looks like the Sunday Lake Dog Sled Trail trailhead is the starting off point for numerous local outfitters offering multi-day backcountry trips, so I can only imagine that parking's available.

Checking the maps, the first available lake for water would be Bluebird Lake, rough 2km in, but we should be able to manage with melting snow or even a couple of gallons of fresh water on our sleds for the first day.

The North Lookout Ridge trail is just east of the Sunday Lake trailhead on the north side of Hwy 60 and rises up to overlook Lake of Two Rivers. Side trip maybe (probably not, to be honest)?

Chard
01-04-2019, 17:10
Whoo Buddy!

We're a week out from the Jan 11-13th Valens "Gearing Up" when site 134 will be converted into an open air BBQ!

We're also 5 weeks from the "Winter Backcountry" trip Feb 8-10, 2019 somewhere further afield. I like Jayson's idea of the Sunday Lake Dog Sled Trail. Hopefully we'll even get to see some sled teams on the trail. That'd be pretty cool and pizza delivery by dog sled would be awesome!

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/2qe5r7.jpg

76 highboy
01-07-2019, 12:59
Hey gang,looking for a little input. I picked up small (12 lb ) chunk of pork shoulder today to roast at valens.
I ,m going to cook it on a patagonian/argentinian vertical cross shaped device that i am in the process of welding up.

Question is: one big chunk seasoned with classic bbq rub ... or.. 2 smaller chunks with one seasoned with,say, asian or maybe jamacian jerk?
Thoughts.
btw. going in fri morning.

Niagara
01-07-2019, 13:07
:drool:

you had me at pork..... k wait .. nevermind.
BBQ rub ok by me - I will bring a helping or two of ranch beans although it has bacon in it.. hopefully does not contrast too much with the shoulder meat.

Chard
01-07-2019, 13:15
BBQ rub's fine with me too. K.I.S.S.

What can I bring? What do you guys think of Corn Chowder (https://www.thechunkychef.com/hearty-homemade-corn-chowder/) or Cream of Mushroom (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235589/chef-johns-creamy-mushroom-soup/)? Might be nice on a cold night.

BTW: Should arrive Friday around noon although I might need assistance with a load of firewood.

Hoolio
01-07-2019, 14:44
OMG that sounds delicious. I think i need to fast all week as I am still full from the holidays. Hope to be there Fri mid aft. If Heather comes Friday evening.
What can i bring?

Bubba
01-08-2019, 06:14
Please please tell me you're going to roast the pork for Saturday's dinner.

ggreaves
01-08-2019, 09:15
Is anyone selling a tarp!?

no, but if you need a tarp for the hang, I'll bring you one. let me know. btw, I'm coming saturday morning - pork day

LuvmyBonnet
01-08-2019, 11:42
I might need assistance with a load of firewood.
Just wanted to see how we where dealing with firewood. Are we all just bringing some wood or chipping in for a load of delivered wood? I'm good with either.
I'm not sure what time I'll be able to leave on Friday. Depends when I'm all caught up with work. Hopefully by noon or so. I'm planning on making a pot of potato and bacon soup.

traycer
01-08-2019, 12:47
We're a week out from the Jan 11-13th Valens "Gearing Up" when site 134 will be converted into an open air BBQ!

Hola! I'm thinking about coming out at least for Saturday afternoon, if not overnight into Sunday morning. This is my first time at an EGL event. What sort of costs will there be? Do we need to check in with anyone? Say a secret passphrase at the park gates? I'm happy to chip in towards whatever expenses the group will have.

I've been camping in my trusty HH Expedition since the winter of 2002, so it will be nice to learn about new gear and techniques from others. I'll see about bringing some roasted bacon to share for breakfast, and other goodies!

EDIT: I'll be driving up Saturday noon, leaving from downtown Toronto if anyone needs a ride up. It's a rental car, so I'm planning on leaving latest Sunday morning to get it back to the agency in time.

171354 171355

Chard
01-08-2019, 13:28
Just wanted to see how we where dealing with firewood. Are we all just bringing some wood or chipping in for a load of delivered wood? I'm good with either.
I'm not sure what time I'll be able to leave on Friday. Depends when I'm all caught up with work. Hopefully by noon or so. I'm planning on making a pot of potato and bacon soup.

I spoke with Brian (our firewood source) and he's expecting me late morning on Friday. I should be able to pick up about a single shi#load of firewood like before, although hopefully not in the back of my Honda. Plan on a dollar or two for firewood costs and they'll mainly be hardwood. Easier burning scrap wood for firestarting would also be helpful.

Are you bringing the soup for Friday night?

Hola! I'm thinking about coming out at least for Saturday afternoon, if not overnight into Sunday morning. This is my first time at an EGL event. What sort of costs will there be? Do we need to check in with anyone? Say a secret passphrase at the park gates? I'm happy to chip in towards whatever expenses the group will have.

I've been camping in my trusty HH Expedition since the winter of 2002, so it will be nice to learn about new gear and techniques from others. I'll see about bringing some roasted bacon to share for breakfast, and other goodies!

EDIT: I'll be driving up Saturday noon, leaving from downtown Toronto if anyone needs a ride up. It's a rental car, so I'm planning on leaving latest Sunday morning to get it back to the agency in time.

171354 171355

Welcome aboard Traycer!

Costs are about $13 per night ($10 for parking and $3 to split the cost of the site fee).
Check in at the main gate, where you pay your fee, mention that you're with the hammockers on site 134, get a receipt (important) and then drive on in. We usually park on sites 133,134 and 135 or on the roadside just adjacent.

P.S., that's some nice looking grilling going on!

traycer
01-08-2019, 13:45
Costs are about $13 per night ($10 for parking and $3 to split the cost of the site fee).

Great, thanks for the info! Since we're car camping, I'll bring up an extra hammock in case anyone is in need.

LuvmyBonnet
01-08-2019, 13:59
Are you bringing the soup for Friday night?

Sure. Friday night soup sounds great. I might even be encouraged to whip up a pineapple upside down cake again.

traycer
01-08-2019, 14:01
Keep a nice big fire going! Temperatures dropping to the negative double digits overnight.

Chard
01-08-2019, 14:37
Keep a nice big fire going! Temperatures dropping to the negative double digits overnight.

Brrrr-fect!

Jiblets
01-08-2019, 17:50
Hey guys,

I'll be coming in for Fri-Sun, and bringing my Pit Barrel Cooker (it's a medium sized barrel smoker). If you have some meat you want to try smoking, there should be some room. Watching some vids on youtube wouldn't hurt, as it's fairly new to me, so I won't know times/temps for unfamiliar meats off the top of my head. I'll probably bring a small pork shoulder (picnic or butt depending on availability) and a couple of chickens)

Sorry Chard, no fish in my smoker - I've read that once fish goes in a smoker, everything tastes like fish... smoked salmon beef ribs and smoked salmon chicken are flavours I do not wish to sample.

I'll also bring that big grill.

Chard
01-08-2019, 18:05
Sorry Chard, no fish in my smoker - I've read that once fish goes in a smoker, everything tastes like fish... smoked salmon beef ribs and smoked salmon chicken are flavours I do not wish to sample.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/smokingfish.jpg
Source: Yan Blanco

Jiblets
01-08-2019, 18:08
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/smokingfish.jpg
Source: Yan Blanco

Case in point. :scared:

Huckleberry Hanger
01-08-2019, 18:16
Just an FYI, was at Valens last weekend. I think site 135 was free but the sites on either side were taken. Washroom proximity is making those site desirable! Should be there Saturday evening but out early Sunday as I have family commitments. Possible I will be able to stop in Friday night for a while. Looking forward to seeing all of you internet weirdos! :)

76 highboy
01-08-2019, 18:33
Hey guys,

I'll be coming in for Fri-Sun, and bringing my Pit Barrel Cooker (it's a medium sized barrel smoker). If you have some meat you want to try smoking, there should be some room. Watching some vids on youtube wouldn't hurt, as it's fairly new to me, so I won't know times/temps for unfamiliar meats off the top of my head. I'll probably bring a small pork shoulder (picnic or butt depending on availability) and a couple of chickens)

I'll also bring that big grill.

I already have about a 12 lb shoulder for sat. Wanna cut it in half and I,ll roast one and you can smoke the other half ?

Jiblets
01-08-2019, 19:04
I already have about a 12 lb shoulder for sat. Wanna cut it in half and I,ll roast one and you can smoke the other half ?

I'm going to say "sure", but part of me is disappointed that we'll miss the spectacle of you roasting a 12lb slab of bone-in meat for hours, and hours and hours...

76 highboy
01-08-2019, 21:41
Is that a yes or do you want to watch 12 lbs of deliciousness roast for hours and hours and.......
If this device works well we could try something bigger next time. IE: a lamb, a turkey, beef ribs, 20 lb shoulder,etc

sturgeon
01-08-2019, 23:27
Hey folks, I would like to attend this weekend's gathering, and meet the legendary EGL hangers.
I would probably show up Saturday in the early afternoon, if that's okay.
Let me know what i can bring to the dinner or breakfast...

traycer
01-09-2019, 01:36
I'll be coming in for Fri-Sun, and bringing my Pit Barrel Cooker (it's a medium sized barrel smoker). If you have some meat you want to try smoking, there should be some room.

I could bring a rack of side ribs we can try hanging in the barrel. That'll take 3-4 hours, and I'm hoping to arrive by about 2 pm on Saturday. Are you bringing any particular type of wood, or should we take our chances with random firewood? :laugh:

Niagara
01-09-2019, 08:15
want to watch 12 lbs of deliciousness roast for hours and hours and.......
I know it's not a vote but yes

also - have some apple limbs cut earlier this year I can bring.

tessiea
01-09-2019, 10:53
Hey guys, I hope this isn't inappropriate to post here. Let me know if it is and I will delete. I have a ULA circuit posted on the For Sale section for $180 USD. If there is anyone going to the hang this weekend that is interested in the pack I would sell it for $200 CAD since I won't have to ship. Let me know. Thanks

ggreaves
01-09-2019, 10:55
I could bring a rack of side ribs we can try hanging in the barrel. That'll take 3-4 hours, and I'm hoping to arrive by about 2 pm on Saturday. Are you bringing any particular type of wood, or should we take our chances with random firewood? :laugh:

"lovely smoke flavour... is that pressure treated I detect? why is the smoke ring green?"

Chard
01-09-2019, 11:25
Is that a yes or do you want to watch 12 lbs of deliciousness roast for hours and hours and.......
If this device works well we could try something bigger next time. IE: a lamb, a turkey, beef ribs, 20 lb shoulder,etc
Aww yeah!

Hey folks, I would like to attend this weekend's gathering, and meet the legendary EGL hangers.
I would probably show up Saturday in the early afternoon, if that's okay.
Let me know what i can bring to the dinner or breakfast...
It'd be good to finally get you out to one of our shindigs. Bring whatever you like; you may have noticed that we're nothing if not appreciative of a varied menu.

This is getting better and better.

Hey guys, I hope this isn't inappropriate to post here. Let me know if it is and I will delete. I have a ULA circuit posted on the For Sale section for $180 USD. If there is anyone going to the hang this weekend that is interested in the pack I would sell it for $200 CAD since I won't have to ship. Let me know. Thanks
Thanks for the heads up. Can't hurt to bring it along.

ConnieB
01-09-2019, 12:20
Martin and I will bring desserts of some kind...custards and/or coconut loaf if they have. See you all this Friday!

Chard
01-09-2019, 12:41
Hi gang,

Unfortunately there's a slight change of plans on my end; I have to be in Toronto until about 4pm Friday afternoon.

This means I won't be able to do an early firewood run so...

I was wondering if anyone else might be available to lend Highboy a hand around 11 am to noon Friday morning.

Thanks!

Note: Just a reminder, fees are $10 per person per night, and although that's covered by the parking/entrance fee at the gate for one person and their vehicle, passengers still have to pay as well. They've asked me to keep a more careful headcount of the group and are fine with us completing our registration Saturday morning for any stragglers. Keep your receipts.

http://smnewsnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Firewood4.jpg

Now they've got the right idea!

LuvmyBonnet
01-09-2019, 16:13
I want to watch 12 lbs of deliciousness roast for hours and hours and....... :drool:
I picked up a pork tenderloin for the smoker. I also have everything for the pineapple upside down cake and smores, so dessert is covered. Maybe throw in some bacon rapped dates....

I love how we fine tune Gluttony.

Jiblets
01-09-2019, 18:08

I know it's not a vote but yes.

I want to watch 12 lbs of deliciousness roast for hours and hours and....... :drool:

Well it's looking like there are more "Ayes" than "Nays".. :) But screw democracy, it's your of meat and you can smoke it if you want too. Hopefully there's room in the smoker, as there is more interest than I had expected. I'm very curious about its capacity. I'll bring some coleslaw in case we make some pulled pork.

The Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) is fueled with briquettes (although I use lump charcoal as it was what I had) and it can be augmented it with whatever hardwood you want. I like cherry and apple wood personally.

Hoolio
01-09-2019, 18:37
OK i think we are committed. Picking up a hot tent from COE as a trial run for a more backcountry trip in the future. I am planning on hanging but H will man the stove. We will likely book the site next door to as not take up too much space with the tent. Seems like our meat base is covered. Anything else anyone wants?

LuvmyBonnet
01-09-2019, 18:48
I also think we should do the fire pit like last time, one fire pit and one cooking pit.

EGL Eclectic Gluttonous Lolligager's!

Hoolio
01-09-2019, 18:54
is there somewhere we can stop and get wood as well?

Max B
01-09-2019, 21:16
I’m coming Saturday afternoon. I’ll bring chocolate chip cookies.

76 highboy
01-09-2019, 22:04
Well it's looking like there are more "Ayes" than "Nays".. :) But screw democracy, it's your of meat and you can smoke it if you want too. Hopefully there's room in the smoker, as there is more interest than I had expected. I'm very curious about its capacity. I'll bring some coleslaw in case we make some pulled pork.

The Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) is fueled with briquettes (although I use lump charcoal as it was what I had) and it can be augmented it with whatever hardwood you want. I like cherry and apple wood personally.

Well unless I hear otherwise, its 12lbs of deliciousness on the asado cross.
Mmmmmmeat!

traycer
01-10-2019, 08:50
I like cherry and apple wood personally.

I don't have any of the hardwood myself, so I guess we'll see what's available. I suppose worst case we'll do it without any wood smoke. I mean, meat is meat and I'll still eat it. ;)

KeeWayKeno
01-10-2019, 09:11
Sorry to miss this outing, sounds like it'll be a blast. Have to admit all this talk of Giblet's smoker is almost enough to make me fly home for the weekend.

Have a great time everybody, I'll just drown my sorrows with another Sangria & look forward to lots of Meat Porn pictures!

Hoping you get a chance to talk Spring canoe trip ... can't wait to start daydreaming over maps again.

Cheers,
KWKhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/99a9ecabc0ca7acb592aebbcc0c9c7a5.jpg

Chard
01-10-2019, 09:47
Sorry to miss this outing, sounds like it'll be a blast. Have to admit all this talk of Giblet's smoker is almost enough to make me fly home for the weekend.

Have a great time everybody, I'll just drown my sorrows with another Sangria & look forward to lots of Meat Porn pictures!

Hoping you get a chance to talk Spring canoe trip ... can't wait to start daydreaming over maps again.

Cheers,
KWK

Aww man, Sarasota never looked so good.

tessiea
01-10-2019, 10:13
Sounds like we're pretty well covered for meats and dessert. Wondering what I could bring to pitch in? I could bring some buns, mustard, swiss cheese, and pickles to make cuban sandwiches with some of the pork? I also have a partial bag of applewood chips I was going to bring for the smoker.

76 highboy
01-10-2019, 10:35
Cuban sandwiches! better than cuban cigars. Yum

I will pick up said firewood at 11:00 am but you guys gotta help me unload it. (spineless jellyfish of a back )

ggreaves
01-10-2019, 10:58
Sounds like we're pretty well covered for meats and dessert. Wondering what I could bring to pitch in? I could bring some buns, mustard, swiss cheese, and pickles to make cuban sandwiches with some of the pork? I also have a partial bag of applewood chips I was going to bring for the smoker.

Where's the "Like" button. Cubanos are the best.

ggreaves
01-10-2019, 11:10
anybody have a cast iron plancha we can put on the fire for the cubans?

tessiea
01-10-2019, 11:15

Would this work? It's cast iron with enameled coating.

traycer
01-10-2019, 11:16
I don't have a plancha, but in a pinch I've used two cast iron pans with the cubano, uh, sandwiched in between. I could bring those if nobody has anything better. Now I want to go watch "Chef" again...

ggreaves
01-10-2019, 11:29

It would probably work but it would make a mess of the enamel - I think Traycer's idea of a couple cast iron pans would work better.
I'm going to bring a couple racks of ribs for the smoker for some finger food while we're waiting for the rest of Pigmageddon to evolve. I'm also going to make a vinegar based bbq sauce for dipping or for the sandwi.
I have Pecan wood chips I use but I'll defer to whoever's running the show.

Niagara
01-10-2019, 11:38
you guys gotta help me unload it. (spineless jellyfish of a back )

happy to help offload - leaving right from work so wont be there till 6 ish Friday depending on traffic

Also have two CI pans I will bring for fun and sammiches.

Chard
01-10-2019, 12:01

I can bring my faithful old cast iron pan if it'll help.

76 highboy
01-10-2019, 13:16

I have a cast iron device something like that. I will bring it along.
Hope we dont run out of food.:lol:

tessiea
01-10-2019, 17:02
Any chance someone has an underquilt protector they would be willing to lend me for Saturday night? I’m on the fence about buying one or a sock and this would be a good chance to maybe try one out. Thanks

Jiblets
01-10-2019, 17:12

Cheers,
KWK

I'll bring the smoker up to "The Rock" next time.

Cubano sandwiches are a great idea. I could use the applewood, I have some cherry wood branches, but don't have the time to process them into chips.

I've got a 12" cast iron pan, and a cast iron panini press that will work if your sandwich thick enough. It's not the greatest fit as it's a square press in a round pan. Yes, its the square peg in a round hole.

I have a cast iron device something like that. I will bring it along.
Hope we dont run out of food.:lol:

The smartass in me wants to comment on that, but I'm too afraid of the ramifications.

Jiblets
01-10-2019, 17:15
Any chance someone has an underquilt protector they would be willing to lend me for Saturday night? I’m on the fence about buying one or a sock and this would be a good chance to maybe try one out. Thanks

I can bring one for you.

tessiea
01-10-2019, 17:16
I can bring one for you.

Awesome. Thanks so much

LuvmyBonnet
01-10-2019, 18:17
I have some cherry wood branches, but don't have the time to process them into chips.
I'll bring a half bag of cherry chips.

sturgeon
01-11-2019, 08:35
I could bring some "moros y cristianos" (black beans cooked with onion, garlic, tomato, bell pepper, etc; served on rice)--goes well with pork. And maybe a brownie, too, to add to the desserts.
I will be there early afternoon Saturday. Sorry i can't help with the wood on Friday.

Hoolio
01-11-2019, 09:37
Heather and I will be there hopefully around 7. Yay setting up in the dark!! How does it work if we are there after the gate closes?

Niagara
01-11-2019, 10:25
Heather and I will be there hopefully around 7. Yay setting up in the dark!! How does it work if we are there after the gate closes?

I just make sure I have a $10 that I feed into machine to lift gate (keep receipt for checkout to settle up). Some have said the CC reader not reliable but have not tried it.

traycer
01-11-2019, 18:31
Anyone at the site yet? What are the weather and ground conditions like?

Bubba
01-11-2019, 18:37
Only a very light dusting of snow on the ground. Stakes can be hammered in pretty easily so far. Not much wind at the moment.

Hoolio
01-11-2019, 19:14
On my way alone. Heather took ill.

traycer
01-11-2019, 19:26
Also, what's the water situation like at Valens? Can we get potable water from taps, or should we bring in outside water?

ggreaves
01-12-2019, 00:43
I'll bring a half bag of cherry chips.

if you like cherry chips... you'll love the ketchup chips we have up here in Canada

traycer
01-13-2019, 17:17
Got home a few hours ago, returned the rental car, had brunch, had nap. Thanks to everyone for such an amazing stay! Now to sort thought all my photos...

Bubba
01-14-2019, 02:24
Trip report here
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/151668-EGL-Gearing-up-for-winter-2019?p=1945137#post1945137

Hoolio
01-15-2019, 08:43
Thank you so much everyone for another great get together. For anyone interested here is the temp recording from Sat (day - picnic table, evening - hot tent) 171649

LuvmyBonnet
01-15-2019, 09:40
Thank you so much everyone for another great get together. For anyone interested here is the temp recording from Sat (day - picnic table, evening - hot tent) 171649

That's a cool graph. What instrument did you get that from? I was laughing at the graph. I can actually see the points where Heather was waking you up to add wood. :lol:

Hoolio
01-15-2019, 14:10
ahhaa ya and where i said forget this im sleeping.. oops down to zero it was the little blue thumb drive thing that was on the picnic table most of saturday. Elitech something or other on amazon.. christmas gift.. interesting enough.

LuvmyBonnet
01-15-2019, 15:04
Ha ha! I saw that little tracker device on the table and asked a couple people what it was. No one knew. Well now I know. Seems like a pretty cool device(no pun intended). :thumbup1:

traycer
01-15-2019, 22:28
For anyone interested here is the temp recording from Sat (day - picnic table, evening - hot tent)

Ha! I had my thermometer there too! It looks like we hit a low of -9°C just after 4 am on Sunday morning. Not too bad!

https://i.imgur.com/HXiOSlv.jpg

ggreaves
01-16-2019, 16:25
so... Just searching back through the thread for details. I think the way it was left last was...

Feb 8-10th... Algonquin Park.... someplace off the Sunday Lake Dogsled Trail? Who's in?

Chard
01-16-2019, 19:47
so... Just searching back through the thread for details. I think the way it was left last was...

Feb 8-10th... Algonquin Park.... someplace off the Sunday Lake Dogsled Trail? Who's in?

I'm in.

Friday Feb. 8 to Sunday Feb. 10th is right for the "when" and so far we've tabled the Sunday Lake dogsled Trail for the "where".

Whether I get a Friday morning, Friday evening or Saturday morning start. Hopefully there'll be an unmistakable mark where the EGL leaves the dogsled trail, and I'm trusting that it won't be a beer can on a stick this time :lol:.

Mr.hammockcamper
01-16-2019, 19:49
I couldn’t make it to the Valens hang but I should be in for the February one! All depends on school.

Jayson
01-17-2019, 20:31
I am in for the weekend. Pretty sure Mark is also coming.

Chard
01-17-2019, 21:59
Do the Torrance Barrens have winter camping opportunities? All I know of the area is that it's a dark sky reserve. I don't know if there's parking, camping, fees or hanging options.

Torrance Barrens SKy Reserve winter hike camp snowshoe trip (https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32020)

Iguana
01-18-2019, 08:38
Do the Torrance Barrens have winter camping opportunities? All I know of the area is that it's a dark sky reserve. I don't know if there's parking, camping, fees or hanging options.

Parking - Limited, and I doubt it would be plowed in the winter. There are many rock face options for parking along the side of the road.

Camping - Yes. This is where there is a lot of confusion, which might be a good thing to keep the yahoos away :). There are no camping signs all over the place. But you really need to read the sign to understand what is meant by no camping.

Fees - Nope, none.

Hanging Options - It is crown land so you can make your own options with a bit of bushwhacking. The proper trail that runs through the Preserve is mostly flat, with the exception of the the part which surrounds half the lake. I would not want to be pulling a toboggan up that Rock face.

With regards to the "Darkness", there is more light pollution at Torrance compared to Most of Algonquin. So those that are used to the darkness at Algonquin may feel a little underwhelmed.

It is a great place to visit and camp.

Iguana

BigGreenMoose
01-18-2019, 09:17

Torrance Barrens SKy Reserve winter hike camp snowshoe trip (https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32020)

I did some searching last year on Torrance Barrens... inconclusive...

It looks like some back-country camping is/was tolerated, but they've been clamping down on it for the usual reasons (trash, misuse, etc.). Seems like the keep it vague so they can kick people out as/when they see fit.

Some folks posted online that there were signs allowing camping a minimum of 200m from the trails/trailheads, but they were replaced in 2018 with no camping signs.

The MNR statement from 2006 (https://www.rasc.ca/sites/default/files/torrancebarrenscrfebruary06final1.pdf) says it is permitted but they will continue monitoring activities in the area.

The page from the Astronomical Society (http://www.rasc.ca/torrance-barrens-dark-sky-preserve?fbclid=IwAR1fvkILWSWLoDKpjCNlTLxjYQOHlWE3 IOM56_aYVa-jOaH1RMnocoSh8rw) site says limited camping is permitted.

Keep It Clean, Dark and Peaceful
Take in the Reserve's natural wonders both below and above you. There are no official campsites, but limited camping is permitted. If you live or work in this area, keep the Barrens dark for ourselves and for future generations by limiting your use of artificial light at night. Please leave no litter or debris. And remember to help preserve the Torrance Barrens as a place "where people may frequent but do not remain.

They have a a Facebook site, but doesn't look too active. https://www.facebook.com/TorranceBarrens/

Mr.hammockcamper
01-18-2019, 09:18
I am good for any destination as long as a can pull a sled in with my gear. I don’t have perfect winter gear so a sled will be needed so I can bring enough to stay warm :)

ConnieB
01-18-2019, 15:10

Martin and I will be. Whether Friday pm/evening or Saturday am is TBD.

Chard
01-20-2019, 15:46
Thanks for the feedback on the Torrance Barrens.

Weighing the likely lack of plowed parking and established trails, I'm personally leaning more towards the Sunday Lake Trail. Our fancy new toboggans are great, but breaking trails in powder is still a real work. Besides, it would be cool to see some dogsled teams setting up and running those lovely, well established, firmly packed trails. With our luck the outfitters aren't running this year! I'll give a couple of them a call this week.

Max B
01-20-2019, 19:29
I am planning to be there. I have to take care of a few things before I can give a definite yes.

ggreaves
01-21-2019, 11:19
I'm available to go in Friday but I probably won't go in alone so I'll wait to find out when others are going. If I do go in alone - just follow the blood splatters to my frozen (self)dismembered body. I've gotta work on my knife and axe safety skills.

Chard
01-21-2019, 12:15
I'm available to go in Friday but I probably won't go in alone so I'll wait to find out when others are going. If I do go in alone - just follow the blood splatters to my frozen (self)dismembered body. I've gotta work on my knife and axe safety skills.

What a grisly post! I'm not sure what to say.:scared:
Hmmm...

Snowshoes with integrated spikes: spike side down.
Blades and axes are held by the dull, handlely looking end
Maybe bring a saw or a twig stove
Bring a first, second and third aid kit, paramedic and possibly even an fully qualified ER nurse
If points 1-4 don't work and you somehow succumb to an errant blade, do try to be considerate and freeze standing at attention. It makes it easier to find you and you'll fit on a toboggan better. No bothersome appendages sticking out.

On the other hand, you might just want to wait for some others. Otherwise, leave a trail of full beer cans in the snow and you'll have a swarm of EGL'ers there in no time.

76 highboy
01-21-2019, 13:35
Full beer cans! wheeee
Unfortunatly I cant make that weekend. (annual ice fishing trip)
Even beer cans thawing by the fire cant draw me in. Bummer :(

Maybe we could try another weekend in late feb/early march for those of us who cant make this one.

Enjoy!

ggreaves
01-21-2019, 14:22
Full beer cans! wheeee
Maybe we could try another weekend in late feb/early march for those of us who cant make this one.

I'm going to do the following weekend as well at Mew Lake (huge family day winter camping shindig there). Camping in the airfield if anyone else is interested.

KeeWayKeno
01-22-2019, 10:49

Weather & road conditions permitting, I should be back in the Great White North by then, will be watching for further discussion.
Since I'm missing all the fun I was thinking about a solo 'assault' on The Rock anyway. Would likely be a long, difficult hike in if past experience holds true but something to think about if anyone is feeling adventurous. At least there's lots of firewood & a Yurt to retreat to at the end!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Lofty
01-22-2019, 11:47
I've been quietly watching the winter trip for Feb 8-10 . I'm currently off work that weekend BUT.........
I just went to Killarney for 3 days and would definitely be in the doghouse if I mention another camping trip to my wife.
I'm really hoping to make it out for another winter trip - ....... Perhaps if I could convince Liam to join in :D

ConnieB
01-22-2019, 12:02
Martin and I were thinking about the airfield as well on the Family day weekend. It's enough distance away from the winter camper wannabes and also cheaper to camp so we are told. We may even have a chance at hot-tenting that weekend if our North Bay friend/acquaintance remembers to bring one for us.

Iguana
01-24-2019, 23:45

Hey ggreaves, I might be going in late Friday, not sure what time you were thinking? I did hike through killarney last year in the partly in the dark (Not by choices) and I kind of enjoyed it, so I dark hike in it might be. Plus I got Sh*t to do in the morning. :)

Iguana

Jayson
01-25-2019, 12:54

Me and Mark will be driving up in the morning. Not sure of the time...its about 4.5 or 5 hrs from my house. PM me your number and we can co-ordinate something.

Chard
01-25-2019, 13:48
Looks like there might be quite a few of us out for a waxing moonlight walk. It's very likely that I'll be hitting the trail well after sunset on Friday night as well, maybe as late as 10pm.

Out of the dark they stumbled into camp....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/36/a3/0036a38ee34172ed0f9bfdd837ab2744.gif

Mr.hammockcamper
01-25-2019, 13:58
Just to clarify, we are camping on the Sunday lake dog trail?

I will also most likely be coming in late Friday night, possibly Saturday morning.

Can’t wait!!!!!!

Chard
01-25-2019, 15:00
Just to clarify, we are camping on the Sunday lake dog trail?

I will also most likely be coming in late Friday night, possibly Saturday morning.

Can’t wait!!!!!!

If it's okay with everybody, let's bite the bullet and settle on the Sunday Lake Dogsled Trail Feb 8th-10th and beyond.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Important for Late Arrivers: I just called the Park about getting our permits after hours. Because Algonquin's East and West Gates close at 4pm, their suggestion was to call the Park at 705-633-5572 on Thursday Feb 7th between 9am-3pm and book the permit over the phone. You need to provide your name, plate number, start date, end date and location and it must be paid for by credit card at a rate of $12.45/night. Have a paper and pencil ready so that you can write down the information for a DIY permit for your car.

For those of you heading in early, please have mercy on the late arrivals and don't head in too far! One advantage of heading in late is that we won't get in the way of the dogsleds running up and down the trail, I just hope there's not too much poop!

:scared::scared::scared:

Bubba
01-29-2019, 02:41
I think we should just aim for the Sliver creek Junction and that lake that's west of Bluebird lake. That looks to be the nearest larger body of water a little over 2km from the trailhead. I think it's a reasonable distance especially if the trail is well established and relatively level. Chard I'm guessing you're bringing your auger? If we're not accessing water then we can camp closer to the cars anywhere off the trail that looks promising. The creek runs parallel to the trail and there looks to be a pond about a quarter of the way up.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/9/8/ecd22a82-9d8c-41d9-a522-5bc5600746e7.jpeg

ggreaves
01-29-2019, 10:45

The lake west of bluebird is pretty much muskeg but there appears to be a few spots with open water for the auger. Sounds like a good plan.

Chard
01-29-2019, 19:59
Two km!?! :scared:

I wasn't planning on bringing the auger, although I might throw it in the trunk. Like Ggreaves said, I don't think there'll be any water unless we do an extra 500 m east, and even then, I don't know about the ice conditions.

Bubba
01-29-2019, 20:24
In that case we can just go in a little and find a spot off the trail. Maybe the creek water will be accessible.

Chard
01-29-2019, 21:43
I can bring my big pot and we can keep it filled with melting snow by the fire and use it as a communal water source throughout the day.

I was also going to bring a large thermos to keep my water/coffee/hot toddy warm throughout the day.

Three feet of snow as of Jan 29th!
http://algonquinsnowmobileclub.ca/ascwebcam/webcam.jpg
http://algonquinsnowmobileclub.ca/webcam/ (http://algonquinsnowmobileclub.ca/webcam/)

Bubba
01-30-2019, 05:03
Reminder to bring some kind of filter for water unless you like bits of forest debris in your water. I tried coffee filters on my first snowshoe trip years ago and it was way too slow. I use a reusable coffee filter that has larger holes which works well enough for the bits you find in snow.

Max B
01-30-2019, 11:40
I plan to arrive at camp on Saturday by early afternoon. Thanks Chard for bringing a big pot.

Btw, will we go up the right side or left side trail?

Jayson
01-30-2019, 11:43
So who all is planning to hit the trail Friday morning/early afternoon?

Mr.hammockcamper
01-30-2019, 11:48
I won’t be able to go in the morning. I’ll be on the trail around 8 pm Friday night. Night hiking should be interesting!!

ggreaves
01-30-2019, 11:53
So who all is planning to hit the trail Friday morning/early afternoon?

I will be driving from Kingston Friday morning. I'm planning on being on the trail around noon.

Jayson
01-30-2019, 12:38
Greg, we will aim to be there by noon as well.

Text or call me when you are on the road.
519 357 8360

Bubba
01-30-2019, 14:40
I plan to arrive at camp on Saturday by early afternoon. Thanks Chard for bringing a big pot.

Btw, will we go up the right side or left side trail?

I would say right side. Opinions?

Jayson
01-30-2019, 15:50
Right sounds fine to me. I will try to remember an extra candle lantern to hang on the trail where we head into the bush.

Jayson
01-30-2019, 16:54
Oh just an FYI me and Mark are planning to stay Sunday night as well so anyone that is free Monday is of course welcome as well.

Chard
01-30-2019, 20:17
Right sounds fine to me. I will try to remember an extra candle lantern to hang on the trail where we head into the bush.

Tying a yellow NoFrills shopping bag or two to a couple of trees where you guys turn off might work. With my luck, the candle lantern will blow out and we'll wind up in North Bay.

Besides, you guys don't need to pitch too far from the trail. It might be cool to see the dogsleds run by during the day.

Using an old flannel sheet might be a good way to screen the water.

Jayson
01-31-2019, 15:06
We dont have No-Frills around us...will a white Food Basics bag work?!?!?
;)

Chard
01-31-2019, 18:21
We dont have No-Frills around us...will a white Food Basics bag work?!?!?
;)

White! You might as well spread a cup of baby powder to guide the way!!!:lol:

Kidding, any bag should work as long as it's set a few feet away from the main trail (to avoid it getting removed as litter) and along a very well trodden side path leading a twinkling fire in the distance.

Mr.hammockcamper
02-01-2019, 11:33
Right side sounds good to me!!

Glow sticks would also work well for marking where you guys go off the trail.

Chard
02-01-2019, 17:20
Anybody planning on heading in around 9:30-10pm Friday night?

Whatever we do to mark our turnoff, I trust you guys to figure out a way to make it unmistakable. How long do road flares burn for?

ggreaves
02-03-2019, 21:43

Whatever we do to mark our turnoff, I trust you guys to figure out a way to make it unmistakable. How long do road flares burn for?

I will be standing at the turnoff all weekend scintered into the ground with my left arm frozen pointing into the forest.

Bubba
02-03-2019, 23:12
I will be standing at the turnoff all weekend scintered into the ground with my left arm frozen pointing into the forest.

With a beer can hanging from said arm.

Iguana
02-04-2019, 01:07

I did not have a specific time in mind, was planning to head north shortly after rush hour. I could lollygag for a while and start the hike 9:30 -10:00ish.

Chard
02-04-2019, 07:02
I did not have a specific time in mind, was planning to head north shortly after rush hour. I could lollygag for a while and start the hike 9:30 -10:00ish.

Thanks. I'll give you a call.

Chard
02-05-2019, 20:34

I was thinking; in an effort to make it easier to find you guys in the dark, I was wondering if it made sense to try setting an amount of time, say 30 minutes, of regular paced walking from the trailhead to turn off. At least that way, we'd have a ball park idea of when we'd have to be on the lookout for a trail marker or of when we've gone too far.

ggreaves
02-07-2019, 09:50
My lower back has been getting worse all week - I'm going to hold off for a day and try to go in on Saturday instead.

76 highboy
02-07-2019, 20:44
My lower back has been getting worse all week - I'm going to hold off for a day and try to go in on Saturday instead.

I feel your pain.
As much as I wanted to go on a proper backcountry trip,I,m not sure my spine feels the same way. I am going ice fishing this weekend but its a little easier than haulin sled.
Hope you guys a great trip.