PDA

View Full Version : Simply light trail lair Vs. Dutch chameleon

Cody053
11-12-2018, 16:28
I will mainly use this hammock for backpacking which model do you prefer and why? I will also be using under quilt so ease of use with that is also a factor.

rweb82
11-12-2018, 17:04
I don't own either of those hammocks. But from what I've read, you can't go wrong with either option. They will both handle underquilts with no problems. Both vendors offer great service. Jared (SLD) is lightning fast with custom orders, and shipping is free. Dutch needs no introduction; and has created a unique system with the Chameleon- which is currently on sale.

JT4446
11-12-2018, 17:05
LOVE my Trail Lair! I spent a full week in it recently and have not slept that good in years. I got the wind shield with mine and had no condensation issues in Oregon in cold rainy weather. 100%.satisfied. I got the wide in 1.6 hex. It is very comfortable. Jared has lots of options for storage. I am sure you can't go wrong with either. I went with SLD because of my perception from reviews that it might be more comfortable than the Chameleon, but I have no direct experience in the Chameleon.

presta24
11-12-2018, 17:08
I have them both. Love them both. Been using the chameleon as I have a top cover for it and not my trail lair. It's a tough call really...i do like the zipper better on the chameleon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TrailSlug
11-12-2018, 18:23
I too have both and like them both but I have an issue with calf ridge in my Chameleon and just can't get rid of it but not with my Trail Lair. So I tend to use the Trail Lair a bit more but my Warbonnet Ridgerunner is the hammock that gets the most use.

Cody053
11-12-2018, 18:29
I was leaning towards chameleon because of add ins such as side car and such and the sale currently but still struggling to make the choice

TrailSlug
11-12-2018, 18:34
I was leaning towards chameleon because of add ins such as side car and such and the sale currently but still struggling to make the choice
You can't go wrong with the Chameleon especially when on sale.

Cory Hess
11-12-2018, 18:54
I had a Chameleon. It went up for sale shortly after I got my first SLD. I love my Trail Liar and have my second Tree Runner being delivered tomorrow. I have a lot of Dutchware gear, but as far as hammocks go, nobody does it better than Jared. The design is fantastic and the craftsmanship of the stitching is head and shoulders above what I saw on the Chameleon. I had several loose threads on my Chameleon. Nothing serious, but when paying over $200 for a hammock I expect better.

The Chameleon was my first hammock, and it was just fine for what it was. However, when I look at it objectively, my Trail Liar is made out of the fabric of my choosing, weighs less, was delivered faster, cost less, and is of higher quality than the Chameleon. The only reasons I could see for choosing a Chameleon over a Trail Liar is if you're a huge Dutch fan and put value in the name on the tag or if you plan on using it as a loaner. The modularity would be a nice feature if there were multiple people taking turns with it and they all had different preferences. Other than that, the Trail Liar is the clear winner in my book.

These are just my opinions and experiences. No offense meant to anybody. Like I said, I'm a fan of Dutch's gear. I have no doubt that there are plenty of happy Chameleon owners. I just happen to be somebody that prefers the Trail Liar for the reasons listed above.

Peppy
11-12-2018, 18:54
Agree with others, can't go wrong with either. Both are wonderfully made. I have a slight preference for the Trail Lair, but only because I had one before a Chameleon. If you want add ons at a later date, the chameleon all the way. Im scratching on a new trail lair myself.

ShortRound
11-12-2018, 18:55
I owed both & both are awesome . Trail lair has a windshield (top cover ) out of hammock storage (sunset saddle bags ) inside storage ( movable peak shelves ) . Jared is fast & his craftsman ship is top notch. Dutch is equally as amazing though you may run a wait time with his sale. Jared would crank a trail lair in 24-48 hrs

Peppy
11-12-2018, 19:20
I owed both & both are awesome . Trail lair has a windshield (top cover ) out of hammock storage (sunset saddle bags ) inside storage ( movable peak shelves ) . Jared is fast & his craftsman ship is top notch. Dutch is equally as amazing though you may run a wait time with his sale. Jared would crank a trail lair in 24-48 hrs

He is crazy fast! I have a new tarp on the way!

Ohoopee
11-12-2018, 19:23
I have both and use both. Trail lair gets more usage. Hard to compare
mine since both have different fabrics and lay differently. Sleep well in both.

TrailDaze
11-12-2018, 19:33
Quick list:
2 - WB Blackbirds
4 - Dream Hammocks
2- Dutch hammocks (Inc. Chameleon)
1 - Hennessey
1 - Eno sub7
2 - SLD's

My Trail Lair is easily my go-to hammock.. the rest get lent out to convert the ground dwellers.

ShortRound
11-12-2018, 19:44
Quick list:
2 - WB Blackbirds
4 - Dream Hammocks
2- Dutch hammocks (Inc. Chameleon)
1 - Hennessey
1 - Eno sub7

2 - SLD's

My Trail Lair is easily my go-to hammock.. the rest get lent out to convert the ground dwellers.

Nice ! errie!! Looks like a very similar list hahahahaha

Dlrocm
11-12-2018, 21:48
I have an SLD, and I think it's wonderful. It's very comfortable, and I really appreciated how easy it was to communicate with Jared from SLD. I've not had a chance to use a chameleon, but I'd find it hard to believe that one product would be noticeably superior to the other. Each manufacturer has some pretty innovative things going on as far as the design & storage options. The chameleon is on sale right now :) Tough choice -- the silver lining is that either way you go, you're getting a sweet hammock.

ObdewlaX
11-12-2018, 22:39
As one who has both the Chameleon & the Trail Lair, I agree with others here, you really can't go wrong with either hammock.

I prefer the Trail Lair for a couple of reasons. For starters, it's a more comfortable lay IMO & the workmanship is top-notch. I like that the TL is a symmetrical design because I tend to change my lay direction through the night. Plus, Jared is great to work with and is willing to tackle just about any mod you can think of for his hammocks.

I'd say the Chameleon is a little more versatile since it's a modular system, allowing you to customize the configuration for the type of trip you have planned & conditions. And unless you're using either the symmetrical top cover or bug net, which are optional accessories, the hammock has to be configured for the lay direction you prefer.

michigandave
11-13-2018, 07:56
I'm a Trail Lair owner (on my 2nd one) since Jared first came out with them. It's been my go to hammock for bug season and I've spend many a night in it. SLD does offer some nice add-ons to the hammock, like the sunset saddle bags (recently reviewed by Derek Hansen) (https://simplylightdesigns.com/collections/what-s-new/products/sunset-saddle-bags) , peak shelf, wall shelf and a zippered storage pouch. I've got the zippered pouch on mine, plus the peak shelf on my other SLD hammock "The Voyageur" (no longer available). That said, add-on accessories are nice, but they all add weight....I also had a chance to test the prototype Trail Lair with the windshield in winter conditions. I know some people love them, but it's not for me, since I like being "open" at night.

Everyone has different opinions and there's no right or wrong choice. Both are solid contenders from awesome vendors. Buy what works for you and fits your style. FYI, Jared is now offering an underquilt protector, if your in the market for one. Always a recommended item for the kit!

Pirate96
11-14-2018, 15:53
Adding another vote for the Trail Lair!

Not seen the Dutch, but there is absolutely no reason for me to look elsewhere for any of my hammock needs.

Jared has a great product, absolutely lightening fast shipping, and responsive to questions/emails.

Add in that my Trail Lair gave me the best sleep in years hands down when it was time to place an order Jared got the call.

presta24
11-14-2018, 16:30
Having Jared make a top cover for my lair. sent it back to gin today!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SnyperX
11-21-2018, 11:56
Another vote for the SLD Trail Lair. This was my first hammock purchase and you just can't beat. Fantastic hammock!! Jared is super fast at filling orders as well.

kayakAR
11-21-2018, 15:28
Really appreciate the question and the feedback, especially from those who have experience with both hammocks.

When it came time for a camping hammock, I looked very hard at both the Chameleon and the Trail Lair (as well as one other cottage vendor's model). Ultimately went with the Trail Lair. Since I use the hammock primarily for three-season backpacking, I wanted a balance of leanness and comfort, with some durability. IMHO, SLD's Trail Lair hits that sweet spot. Pretty light in Hexon 1.6, and very comfortable! With a peak loft for storage and a tiny ridgeline gear pouch, the Lair has everything I need for the trail.