PDA

View Full Version : How to search forum

gunn parker
07-18-2007, 02:58
Hi All
I was not sure what area to post this, so here it is.
I often find I want to search a for a topic and would like to search using multiple words, eg; (side tie out) but I find that does not narrow the search down enough.
How can I search and get right to what it is I want?
Thanks
Gunn

GrizzlyAdams
07-18-2007, 05:27
Hi All
I was not sure what area to post this, so here it is.
I often find I want to search a for a topic and would like to search using multiple words, eg; (side tie out) but I find that does not narrow the search down enough.
How can I search and get right to what it is I want?
Thanks
Gunn

Google has an advanced searching capability that gives you more control.
1. Bring up www.google.com

2. Off to the side of the keyword entry box are links "Advanced", "Preferences", "Language Tools". Click on "Advanced"

3. A little way down the page you see the label "Domain". In the selection box immediately to the right of that you select "Only" (return results from the site or domain); to the right of that put in domain "www.hammockforums.net".

4. Up at the top of this search page you have finer grained control over the filtering done using the keywords you specify. At the bottom (Page-Specific Search) you can look for postings that link to other postings.

Ain't computing wonderful?

Grizz

gunn parker
07-18-2007, 06:16
Thank you so much, that search brought me the results I needed.
Thats one tip I will not be forgetting.
:)

GrizzlyAdams
07-18-2007, 07:15
You can also limit the search to a specific domain from within the usual google text entry box, using the "site:" notation. In your case you'd put

"side tie out" site:hammockforums.net

in the search box. Google search has other neat operators (http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/refinesearch.html) for controling the search. For example, to get all postings using the word camouflage, or a synonym for it, enter

~camouflage site:hammockforums.net

You'll see lots of postings with the word "camo" as well as "camouflage". It's worth your time to experiment with the things you can do when searching.

Grizz

nightcrawler
07-18-2007, 07:48
Wow. That is very good to know. Never realized we had so much control over those searches. Thanks

headchange4u
07-18-2007, 08:08
Wow. I consider myself a computer geek, but those are some great tips Griz. Thanks

Shadowmoss
07-18-2007, 08:42
*Shadowmoss bows before Grizz's superior geekness*

You also might try using scroogle.org (don't accidently forget and put in com, especially if your Mom is standing there like mine was...:o ), they don't log every keystroke of your searching experience for future reference like google does. Not that I'm paranoid...

*Shadowmoss looks around nervously*

angrysparrow
07-18-2007, 09:03
You also might try using scroogle.org (don't accidently forget and put in com, especially if your Mom is standing there like mine was...:o ), they don't log every keystroke of your searching experience for future reference like google does. Not that I'm paranoid...

If you're really paranoid you should be using an anonymizing proxy, TOR, and some method of IP obfuscation...not just a search engine scraper. Not that I would know anything about paranoia. :rolleyes:

gumby
07-18-2007, 09:20
Grizz, thanks for the info.

GrizzlyAdams
07-18-2007, 11:54

with apologies to J.J. Cale

Call me the Geek
I'm always on a network node
Well now they call me the Geek
I ain't got a life to speak of
I'm always in computing mode

Ain't no change in the weather
That I can ever see
Well there ain't no change in the weather
That I can ever see
Cause I lurk in the machine room
Oh, that's the way it's suppose to be

I got 'round password control babe
Now I can penetrate
I got 'round password control babe
Now I can penetrate
I might just become root now
And find the IDs I can take

Call me the Geek
Well now they call me the Geek
I ain't got a life to speak of
I'm always in computing mode

Grizz

slowhike
07-18-2007, 12:01
grizz, if you can make it to the next hot springs campout, we'll do our best to provide a guitar & maybe a mandolin.
what do you call that, Lynard Geekard:p :eek: :D ;)

NCPatrick
07-18-2007, 12:27

Hmmmm.....

*studiously analyzing Shadowmoss's last 100 keystrokes...* :eek: :D

Shadowmoss
07-18-2007, 17:10
I got all of Grizz's references in his song, and even have that JJ Cale song on tape.

I bet he even knows what I mean when I say I go to 2600 meetings and cons.

*shadowmoss has at least 3 good sign-offs that would sound not family friendly, but none that work on a family friendly board...*

angrysparrow
07-18-2007, 18:14
I got all of Grizz's references in his song, and even have that JJ Cale song on tape.

I think EVERYONE knows what 2600 means. I've still got one of those CapnCrunch whistles...

*maybe not everyone knows...but everyone that I talk to in a typical day does*

GrizzlyAdams
07-18-2007, 19:52

I figured it would have limited appeal : those who know what machine rooms, penetration testing, root access, and identity theft are, and those old enough to know and love Lynrd Skynrd.

You're to be commended on owning J.J. Cale music. I really like the album "Naturally" (1972), where "Call Me The Breeze" appears. On that album I particularly like the imagery in Clyde (http://jjcale.org/natural.htm#6)

Misery loves company
And his old dog sings harmony
Tambourine tied to his tail
You can hear him moan, you can hear him wail

Yep. But I'm too young to have kept the whistle for anything other than annoying my younger sister.

grizz, if you can make it to the next hot springs campout, we'll do our best to provide a guitar & maybe a mandolin.
what do you call that, Lynard Geekard:p :eek: :D ;)

slowhike, you don't want to hear me sing. Trust me. My Lynrd Grizzrd music is strictly accoustic and instrumental.

I'd like to make it to one of these group hangs sometime. This fall I have a conflict with the Hot Springs dates.

Grizz