PDA

View Full Version : 12' XL Winter Haven on the way

OneClick
11-29-2018, 16:32
After at least a year of contemplation and lots of conversation with Jared, I finally pulled the trigger!

I ordered it earlier this week. Jared emailed back 18 minutes later saying he ordered the material. It won't be a long wait as usual :)

Silpoly XL - charcoal gray
Cat cut
Snap doors
12' length
Side pullouts
3-pole kit internal
$$$$$$$$$$

My Superfly always did the trick, but I wanted more width and more space inside when in "hunker down" mode. 3 poles should do it!

Vanhalo
11-29-2018, 16:35
Seems to be the theme today. I deployed mine last night.

LuvmyBonnet
11-29-2018, 16:45
Very nice! It's always nice to have a big tarp to cover everything. I got a 13' ft Winter Dream with 2 internal poles from UGQ. It's great for the Ridge Runner. Post up a pic once you get it.

OneClick
11-29-2018, 16:46
Post up a pic once you get it.

Looking forward to it! Probably just a test setup in my basement at first, but planning a good winter trip mid-December once the snow adds up a bit more.

michigandave
11-29-2018, 19:04
Glad you finally pulled the trigger on that bad boy. I have a feeling it will be a permanent addition to your gear room.

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

OneClick
12-09-2018, 08:24
"Your order is on the way!"

Always a good way to start your morning!! After a delay getting the material, Jared knocked this thing out in no time.

michigandave
12-09-2018, 08:57
Pictures or it didn't happen. Awesome choice for a tarp. Enjoy!

Vanhalo
12-09-2018, 09:12
I slept under my WH last night in the wind and cold rain. I really appreciated the coverage and the door snaps.

OneClick
12-09-2018, 11:01
Pictures or it didn't happen. Awesome choice for a tarp. Enjoy!

Soon, I'm guessing it will arrive December 13-14 if USPS doesn't decide to play ring around the county again.

Vanhalo, in that photo can you pull out the doors more to make more of a "beak"? Or was that pretty much the normal setup?

Othello
12-09-2018, 14:45
I've been looking at this same setup and wondering the same thing. My thought is that of course you could pull the doors out further, but it may require the sides to be brought in a bit. It seems that as you maximize the width (distance between the two sides) you limit the position flexibility of the doors. I imagine if you increased the width further, you may not even be able to connect the snaps. Please let me know if I'm thinking about this incorrectly.

BananaHammock
12-09-2018, 16:16
After at least a year of contemplation and lots of conversation with Jared, I finally pulled the trigger!

I ordered it earlier this week. Jared emailed back 18 minutes later saying he ordered the material. It won't be a long wait as usual :)

Cat cut
Snap doors
12' length
Side pullouts
3-pole kit internal
$$$$$$$$$$

My Superfly always did the trick, but I wanted more width and more space inside when in "hunker down" mode. 3 poles should do it!

How much was it? I’m interested.

OneClick
12-09-2018, 18:18
Lotta coin! $369.95 with all options. The 3-pole alone was $100 extra. Also added some dutchware flyz since I must have them on all my tarps.

DocFR
12-11-2018, 05:08
And the weight of the beast ?

OneClick
12-11-2018, 08:32
To be delivered Friday! I'll be sure to weigh it right out of the box, including poles and everything. Then without poles in case I ever take this backpacking (doubtful).

DocFR
12-12-2018, 02:24
Couldn't wait ^^.

Ordered one myself ! 13' long in standard Silpoly.

Should allow me to stay under the 10 pounds mark it I leave the dual internal pole mod at home.

OneClick
12-12-2018, 08:19
USPS missed 3/3 packages in the last 2 weeks, so I'm not holding out much hope even though tracking still says Friday.

cmc4free
12-12-2018, 17:16

Cat cut
Snap doors
12' length
Side pullouts
3-pole kit internal
$$$$$$$$$$

Very nice. I have priced out that exact tarp/options myself. Well, I might have included the option for D-ring tieouts, but otherwise identical. Looking forward to living vicariously through your photos!

OneClick
12-13-2018, 07:52
In the biggest miracle of all miracles, USPS is actually delivering something early. So it will be here tonight!

I like d-rings (or similar) plus hardware to tighten, but this time I'm trusting the linelocs completely after hearing so many good things. It will certainly keep things simple.

michigandave
12-13-2018, 08:09
In the biggest miracle of all miracles, USPS is actually delivering something early. So it will be here tonight!

I like d-rings (or similar) plus hardware to tighten, but this time I'm trusting the linelocs completely after hearing so many good things. It will certainly keep things simple.

Linelocs are the greatest invention known to mankind since sliced bread. Simple and easy. Here's a tip: put a small knot at the end of the line that you pull to tighten it up. That way, you can adjust them by feel and have a visual aid on which end of the line to attach the stake too.

OneClick
12-13-2018, 08:18
Linelocs are the greatest invention known to mankind since sliced bread. Simple and easy. Here's a tip: put a small knot at the end of the line that you pull to tighten it up. That way, you can adjust them by feel and have a visual aid on which end of the line to attach the stake too.

Will do! I planned on doing that so it wouldn't accidentally slip thru and out. And more importantly to make it easier to pull with frozen fingers.

OneClick
12-13-2018, 20:37
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.....wow! What can I say, Jared is the master craftsman!

I love this thing! I did a crude setup in the basement and my hammock was also offset about 8" making it a little sloppy. I even ran out of room against the wall and you can see the guylines are almost vertical, so less than ideal. But still, I know this will be perfection out in the snowy, piney woods.

Pole weight
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/v76ak6a2nsiaozt/IMG_9050.jpg

Tarp weight
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xqc5gk1i04ohjp2/IMG_9051.jpg

"THE DOME" I'll likely lower it to about 4" off the ground when the weather calls for it. With these high ceilings and hammock set like it was, I just went with it as is. After this photo I tightened it down more and it was really nice, but the weights started sliding and couldn't hold the tension.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/07ce11c4sdcodxv/IMG_9063.jpg

Shload of space in here! I'm pretty short so you can see I have plenty of room above my head even standing!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/7ukd6gyctoi94mb/IMG_9067.jpg

cmc4free
12-13-2018, 20:46
Very nice. The little man sure seems pleased with it!

I have a Trail Haven with single center pole, and that secures to the top of the tarp with a pole clip like you'd find on a dome tent. Did he use those on this too, or is it just the ribbon ties?

OneClick
12-13-2018, 20:47
Very nice. The little man sure seems pleased with it!

I have a Trail Haven with single center pole, and that secures to the top of the tarp with a pole clip like you'd find on a dome tent. Did he use those on this too, or is it just the ribbon ties?

A ribbon. I may try the clip since I have some but not sure if they're the right size. I'll probably just leave it as is to not add more stuff.

cmc4free
12-13-2018, 21:07
Really like it. When you've had a chance to use it in some blowing snow, I'll be interested to hear what you think about the cat cut. That's one thing I was pondering when pricing it out. Knowing what you're trying to accomplish with the extra wide tarp, same reason I was considering one, I wondered if the cat cut would let in a little of the wind and snow intrusion you're trying to minimize. It sure is impressive though. No doubt the triple pole will prove to be worth the extra cost. Plus it allows you to set up with 1, 2, or all 3 poles.

OneClick
12-13-2018, 21:11
I was dead set on the straight ends, but Jared sort of nudged me into the cat cut. I like how the cat cut tarps eat up the slop and get a tight pitch. He was describing how his cat cuts are very conservative, just a little to help get a clean pitch. I can see what he means as I can hardly notice it. I'll appreciate that anytime I'm not using the poles (but not likely).

If I crank this down I could end up with a couple inches off the ground, maybe, but I doubt it will ever come to that. It would turn into a condensation chamber at that point anyway, which I hate in the winter. In fact, I'll probably leave it a foot up sort of like this and just push up a little snow on the windy side if necessary, to keep it breathing better.

michigandave
12-13-2018, 21:17
Cool beans! Did you shrink? You look a lot shorter than you did when I saw you in October.[emoji4].

OneClick
01-02-2019, 10:40
I recently took this out for 3 nights for the first real test. PERFECT!! The weather was pretty tame but the amount of room under here is amazing. The little snow we did get was well away from all my gear. I snapped shut the head end and left the foot end open and staked out for easy access. I also set it up about 12" off the ground which was perfect for ventilation yet blocking most of the wind.

Unfortunately the poles wouldn't make contact with the top of the tarp. The 4" gap was impossible to eliminate no matter how I hung it, so Jared is sending me some pole sections so I can replace the shorter segments. Basically, adding another 3-4" or whatever it ends up needing. I suck at DIY but I can manage this with a pipe cutter. I had someone look inside the tarp while I pushed the pole up and out of the pocket, simulating a longer pole. I think we agreed it needed to be about 4" longer.

Even with this little hiccup it worked fine, but I look forward to dialing it in 100%.

Room for sitting, a table, backpack, and my entire pulk with gear on the other side.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/n79vbmwjqp7tfcx/winter%20haven.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8dje3aj6xybjp7a/winter-haven2.jpg

novasquid
01-02-2019, 11:44
that thing is spacious inside! it's like a condo. how wide is the tarp? their website doesn't list the width.

OneClick
01-02-2019, 11:47
I used the XL silpoly which is 72" on the roll, 70" useable, minus whatever is lost in the process when finished.

I measured this at 135" across the center when laid out.

When putting in the poles, I have no idea how tight is "too tight". This is my first experience with them aside from tents, so I played it safe and tried to keep it somewhat of a wider setup...which is a good thing for the space and airflow.

p.s. LineLoc 3s...just plain amazing. Ridiculously easy to adjust and they held great with my 2mm Zpacks Zline.

SteveE
01-02-2019, 16:02
I just got the same tarp (different material) in the fall and had issues with the poles as well. I ended up cutting up the 3rd pole to add a bit of length to the other 2. I emailed Jared and he sent out another few sections of pole so I could recreate a full length third pole. Mine is a PU/Nylon so it does stretch a bit (it's 2.2oz Hex70) so when I first set up the poles are too tight (actually causes them to form an S shape) but then after a bit they fit perfect (after the tarp stretches a bit). I also had some issues with water leaking in through the 3 clips where the poles connect at the top of the tarp. I've re-seam sealed them but haven't had the chance to test it out yet. I'm hoping it will have fixed the leaks (not huge leaks but enough that my down bag had big wet spots....)

OneClick
01-02-2019, 16:10
Thanks for the info. My new poles will be here Saturday, so I'll give it a shot. I think I only need a few inches to tighten it all up. Jared is too fast...I think he's a cyborg and doesn't require sleep.

Another thing I forgot to mention was my stove. One morning I ran my MSR Reactor without a pot to heat it up. I figured it would be a waste, but I swear it was closer to 50° in there instead of 14°! Sure it was only for a brief time and the heat went right out, but it was nice to get dressed in the warmth. Obviously no CO danger with the doors wide open on one end. Totally worth a couple grams of fuel :)

SteveE
01-02-2019, 16:49
That's a great tip actually! I was considering putting an old Coleman catalytic heater in mine just to take the edge off during winter trips...I might have to give that a try!

brutalguyracing
01-02-2019, 21:26
A ribbon. I may try the clip since I have some but not sure if they're the right size. I'll probably just leave it as is to not add more stuff.Wondering why he didn't use the clips as he did with my tarp
I live the clips so much better then the ribbon on my superfly
I just got the same tarp (different material) in the fall and had issues with the poles as well. I ended up cutting up the 3rd pole to add a bit of length to the other 2. I emailed Jared and he sent out another few sections of pole so I could recreate a full length third pole. Mine is a PU/Nylon so it does stretch a bit (it's 2.2oz Hex70) so when I first set up the poles are too tight (actually causes them to form an S shape) but then after a bit they fit perfect (after the tarp stretches a bit). I also had some issues with water leaking in through the 3 clips where the poles connect at the top of the tarp. I've re-seam sealed them but haven't had the chance to test it out yet. I'm hoping it will have fixed the leaks (not huge leaks but enough that my down bag had big wet spots....)I too have the same exact problems for mine that he made
All clips.leaked (fixed myself by seem sealing)
And my poles are also too short
I just ordered and received my extra poles to redo
And I also wish he would have used some extra material on the pole pockets.. so it's easier to install them
But I do love it

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

OneClick
01-03-2019, 08:03
The ribbon at least gives it some play. My setup that wasn't working quite right here was a great example. If I had a clip and I was forced to close that 4" gap, it would have put a ton of pressure on the tarp. With the ribbon, I was able to loosely tie it just enough to keep the pole from sliding to the side, yet keep very little tension on everything. At one point I did try tying it down tight but I could see it would have ripped right out trying to pull that pole up 4" to the top.

Once I get the poles to the proper length, I'll be good to tighten the ribbon all the way. And it's literally tying a shoe, one time and it's done, so I'm fine with that.

SteveE
01-03-2019, 08:13
Ya when I put my poles into the clip it pulled way down on the top of the tarp along the seam creating a deep trough for the water to collect. I can see how having the ribbon would have offered you a bit more wiggle room...If I can make a suggestion, cut the poles a bit on the long side and then set the tarp up and let it get wet and see if and how much it stretches. I almost cut mine too short but once the tarp stretches a bit they fit perfectly

OneClick
01-03-2019, 08:21
Ya when I put my poles into the clip it pulled way down on the top of the tarp along the seam creating a deep trough for the water to collect. I can see how having the ribbon would have offered you a bit more wiggle room...If I can make a suggestion, cut the poles a bit on the long side and then set the tarp up and let it get wet and see if and how much it stretches. I almost cut mine too short but once the tarp stretches a bit they fit perfectly

Exactly. Clips are fine on mass-produced tents, but with the in-exactitude of tarps and dozens of factors on pitching, I like this ribbon.

Thanks for the suggestion. Jamming in a pole that is too long worries me a little, but I know once I cut it it's done. So I will start longer than I think then go from there.

SteveE
01-03-2019, 08:40
Ya like I say mine is long to the point where it creates a bit of a S shape in the poles when first inserted but then after a bit they straighten right out as the tarp stretches (I guess it will depend on how much if any your tarp stretches).

OneClick
01-03-2019, 08:46
Regarding the stretch, Jared said it could vary due to the manufacturing process. That's why it's not an exact science. He said most of the time the poles cut to the exact width of the tarp works.

brutalguyracing
01-03-2019, 09:30
The ribbon at least gives it some play. My setup that wasn't working quite right here was a great example. If I had a clip and I was forced to close that 4" gap, it would have put a ton of pressure on the tarp. With the ribbon, I was able to loosely tie it just enough to keep the pole from sliding to the side, yet keep very little tension on everything. At one point I did try tying it down tight but I could see it would have ripped right out trying to pull that pole up 4" to the top.

Once I get the poles to the proper length, I'll be good to tighten the ribbon all the way. And it's literally tying a shoe, one time and it's done, so I'm fine with that.You mean tie it three times[emoji6]
I have the ribbon on the Superfly and hated it so I tied on a clip

Ya when I put my poles into the clip it pulled way down on the top of the tarp along the seam creating a deep trough for the water to collect. I can see how having the ribbon would have offered you a bit more wiggle room...If I can make a suggestion, cut the poles a bit on the long side and then set the tarp up and let it get wet and see if and how much it stretches. I almost cut mine too short but once the tarp stretches a bit they fit perfectlyYes I have noticed this as well
The trough effect..
I figure correcting the length of my poles will fix this
But I also this it's the nature of the seam type
The Superfly I have does not have this issue at all due to different seam construction

I will be out this weekend and will cut the poles to proper length and report back

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190103/51cc92a34ad4c0900584bfc83da74613.jpg

OneClick
01-03-2019, 09:35
You mean tie it three times[emoji6]

Well no just one setup for base camp but I get it. Tying shoes almost every day of my life made this a nonissue.

OneClick
01-03-2019, 09:41
I gotta thank Jared again for his exceptional customer service and quick response. Replying late on new years eve, new years day, and processing my order at 4am the next day! I wish he still lived 2 hours away for one-day shipping, but I'm sure he doesn't miss it here :)

I'm heading out again next weekend with more snow likely, so I'm looking forward to dialing this in.

Gregori
01-17-2019, 06:53
You get your pole(s) recut to length for smooth fit all around yet?

We thought about you during last weekends excursion into the woods. Missed you and your setup, wanted to see any new mods....

OneClick
01-17-2019, 09:23
You get your pole(s) recut to length for smooth fit all around yet?

We thought about you during last weekends excursion into the woods. Missed you and your setup, wanted to see any new mods....

Thanks! I got the replacement poles and cut them so they were about 3" longer than the ones they were replacing. So basically just added 3" to all three poles. A quick setup in my basement seemed too tight, but I think out in the woods it will be OK. I just didn't want to make the mistake of cutting them too short. I'll take it out next weekend and see...fingers crossed!

SteveE
01-17-2019, 10:42
Yes don't cut them again! Like I said when I set mine up after cutting new sections it was so tight that the poles curved and formed an S shape. Then after a couple hours set up the poles straightened right out. I was so close to cutting them down shorter and am lucky I didn't!

OneClick
01-17-2019, 12:15
Yes don't cut them again! Like I said when I set mine up after cutting new sections it was so tight that the poles curved and formed an S shape. Then after a couple hours set up the poles straightened right out. I was so close to cutting them down shorter and am lucky I didn't!

Yeah just a quick test in my basement seemed ok, but I noticed the pole was about 45° in the pocket and way over to one side at the top. I obviously don't want to do that in a normal setup, but I think once I get out on a trip with all 3 set up things will work out.

I have a feeling I do need to knock off another inch. Taking my tiny pipe cutter is no problem to make an adjustment in the field, but picking those tiny shockcord knots when the high for the day is 7° just won't work!

SteveE
01-17-2019, 16:55
Here's mine that I just set up in the backyard. My tarp is pu-nylon so it does stretch more than poly... But you can see how tight the poles are. The one on the right I can't even get into the top hook because it is way too tight. I'm going to leave it for a bit and see if the poles straighten out once the tarp stretches. It did just this on a late fall trip and after a few hours it was perfect...but I'm curious to see what happens when the temps dip down to -22C (feels like -33C) like they are supposed to here over the next few nights and some snow...

SteveE
01-18-2019, 10:31
Well I'm at a bit of a loss now...I left the tarp set up overnight and the poles straightened out a tad but are still way too tight with the tarp. I'm assuming a tarp stretches less in cold weather? It's almost as if I need a set of adjustable poles to allow for the changes in the tarps stretch....I guess this is the issue with going with the nylon type tarp that is known to have more stretch...

OneClick
01-18-2019, 10:33
That looks crazy tight. Seems like taking off an inch or two would be safe without making them too short.

SteveE
01-18-2019, 10:37
That's what I had thought as well but when I set this up in the fall it was perfect (not too tight or too loose) once the tarp stretched out. So I'm reluctant to start hacking the poles again and find that when it stretches I'm stuck with poles that are too short....Again I'm thinking this is because of my choice of fabric and wouldn't be nearly the same issue with a poly tarp...

OneClick
01-18-2019, 10:41
That's strange. If I can't get mine dialed in consistently, I'll probably just bring random sections of pipe to add on. For setting up and leaving it until the last day (winter tarp base camp only), it wouldn't be a big deal to slip an extension on without messing with the shockcord. Being in the pocket and under pressure that would be fine.

cmc4free
01-18-2019, 11:27
Well I'm at a bit of a loss now...I left the tarp set up overnight and the poles straightened out a tad but are still way too tight with the tarp. I'm assuming a tarp stretches less in cold weather? It's almost as if I need a set of adjustable poles to allow for the changes in the tarps stretch....I guess this is the issue with going with the nylon type tarp that is known to have more stretch...

In general, due to thermal expansion, materials will contract under colder temperatures and expand under hotter temperatures. This goes for the poles as well as the plastic fibers that make up the fabric of the tarp. Theoretical expansion/contraction is pretty simple for basic shapes like a block, cylinder, tube... I wouldn't claim to have any real knowledge for how this affects materials with complex geometry like a fabric woven from extremely thin/long fibers. I would assume though that the overall width of the tarp pulled taut would measure less in winter temps and more in summer temps. Likewise, the poles will be a little shorter in winter than they would in summer, by small amounts - fractions of an inch.

So it may not be that the tarp stretches less when it's cold - it's technically a "smaller" tarp when it's outside in the cold vs. when it's at ambient indoor temperatures.

As a winter tarp, it probably makes the most sense for the pole length to be sized correctly for the tarp when both are at cold temperatures, say 0*F.

No real help here... just some random musings...

SteveE
01-18-2019, 11:31
I appreciate that insight...makes good sense to me!

cmc4free
01-18-2019, 11:31
For a DIY'er, it might be an interesting idea to make a pole mod with 2 sets of pockets for the pole ends. One an inch or so above the other. Insert pole ends in the upper pockets in spring/fall or in the lower pockets in winter.

OneClick
01-18-2019, 11:41
For a DIY'er, it might be an interesting idea to make a pole mod with 2 sets of pockets for the pole ends. One an inch or so above the other. Insert pole ends in the upper pockets in spring/fall or in the lower pockets in winter.

That would be great!! Just like a daisy chain suspension, pick what works best at that time.

Othello
01-18-2019, 12:39

This is a fantastic idea...and would be required for the center pole only, and then only on one side, yes? Adjust the tension, seasonally or otherwise, on the side poles by simply moving the tie-off point closer to/further from the center of the ridgeline.

In any event, IMHO, I'd prefer too loose (gap between the pole apex and ridgeline seam) to too tight (having the tarp excessively stretched and poles bent). Beyond that, minimization of fiddle factor would be a priority for me.

SteveE
01-18-2019, 13:01
Ya tight like this makes me nervous about damaging it...the problem is with having it too loose is that trough that gets created when the poles pull down on the ridgeline of the tarp....

cmc4free
01-18-2019, 13:18
This is a fantastic idea...and would be required for the center pole only, and then only on one side, yes? Adjust the tension, seasonally or otherwise, on the side poles by simply moving the tie-off point closer to/further from the center of the ridgeline.

Those suggestions seem correct to me.

My winter tarp is from UGQ and I now have center pole and end poles. The center pole has 2 lengths of shock cord with mitten hooks - each clips onto the split rings at the ends of the ridgeline. The end poles each have 1 length of shock cord with a mitten hook that clips onto the ridgeline split ring at their respective ends. (No intent to muddle up this thread in the SLD subforum, but any tarp internal poles could be modded to work this way, if desired). I do have a SLD Trail Haven with internal center pole, and that one just attaches to the tarp ridge seam via a pole clip, like you'd find on a dome tent. That doesn't offer the adjustability of the ribbon ties, like on OneClick's Winter Haven.

OneClick
01-18-2019, 13:42
I just realized I never posted a clear pic of what was going on during my first trip. You can see the big gap on two of the poles. The third is about the same but out of frame in this shot. Other than looking sloppy, it puts way too much tension on the ribbons, so that's why I have them tied loose - just to keep them from falling completely to the side.

Looking at this, it's easy to think "just tighten or loosen the tarp, or ridgeline"..."stake further apart, or closer". Believe me, I tried everything and it didn't matter.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0BwxqQYe3kcjma2luLXM3UHpBbnRKRTdBVU14dG1NWEF iMFlr

Othello
01-18-2019, 14:43
Yessir, I see your point, and why you needed longer pole sections. I must reissue my statement to say that ...I'd prefer a little too loose to way too tight... :laugh:

That UGQ diagram for the end poles is exactly what I was thinking of, but it appears that the end poles in question may be even too short for that to work. They'd never hit the top of the tarp, and swing right through to the doors, perhaps!

SteveE
01-22-2019, 15:31
I wonder if attaching something like this to each tie out would allow some flexibility. I'm thinking the same idea but instead of a d ring on the end, maybe a few extra grommets. That way you could slide the pole end into a different hole depending on how tight or loose the tarp is at the time. It would be easy to adjust once the tarp was set up as well as if the tarp loosened you could just pull out the pole and put it in a hole closer to the tarp, thus making it taught again? I have that on my MEC winter tent and it allows me to keep the fly taught regardless of how much slack is in the fly...

cmc4free
01-22-2019, 15:52
I wonder if attaching something like this to each tie out would allow some flexibility. I'm thinking the same idea but instead of a d ring on the end, maybe a few extra grommets. That way you could slide the pole end into a different hole depending on how tight or loose the tarp is at the time. It would be easy to adjust once the tarp was set up as well as if the tarp loosened you could just pull out the pole and put it in a hole closer to the tarp, thus making it taught again? I have that on my MEC winter tent and it allows me to keep the fly taught regardless of how much slack is in the fly...

Or even infinite adjustment by having on grommet on a piece of webbing with a tri-glide for adjusting the pole tension.

OneClick
01-22-2019, 16:23
Good ideas here, thanks everyone! If my set of re-cut poles don't work well I may have to rig something up.

SteveE
01-22-2019, 19:00
I wonder if you just got a strip of webbing and used a grommet kit (something like this: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/0106-161/Metal-Tent-Tarp-Grommet-Kit#reviews ), and attached one at each pole end on the tarp? If you made each strip of webbing a couple inches long and put 2 or 3 grommets in each that would give you an extra 1 - 4 inches or so of play with the poles....hmmm

Sorry to hijack this thread by the way.....

OneClick
01-28-2019, 09:23
I got out last weekend to give this a try. My new poles, with replacement sections cut down, added about 3" overall. Nailed it!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/p4ux15ae3fnoau3/SLD_pole.jpg

In fact, I didn't even bother setting up 3 poles...one was fine. Man, I think I just wasted $70 getting the other two.

BananaHammock
01-28-2019, 10:55
So what was your final pole length? This exact tarp is in my future but I think I need the end poles from r double chameleons

OneClick
01-28-2019, 10:57
So what was your final pole length? This exact tarp is in my future but I think I need the end poles from r double chameleons

I'll get an exact measurement for you tonight.

SteveE
01-28-2019, 11:01
Looks good, glad it worked out for you!

OneClick
01-28-2019, 19:17
I'll get an exact measurement for you tonight.

138” for the silpoly XL winter haven. But I think I’m going to take off one more inch to put a little less stress on the fabric.

BananaHammock
01-28-2019, 19:28
138” for the silpoly XL winter haven. But I think I’m going to take off one more inch to put a little less stress on the fabric.

Try 1/2” first!

rotorwash
05-18-2019, 19:26
How are the pole mods inserted into the tarp......did Jarod sew channels in the tarp or use grommets in the tie outs like ugq?

OnTheMove
05-19-2019, 06:06
How are the pole mods inserted into the tarp......did Jarod sew channels in the tarp or use grommets in the tie outs like ugq?

OneClick
10-09-2019, 07:55

Oh man, thank you HF for serving as my memory. I didn't finish this last year, so I totally forgot what I was doing here. I'm looking forward to fixing the other two poles and getting out this winter.

OneClick
10-15-2019, 08:22
I just had this out for 3 nights car camping in the cold and wind. I was going to use the Superfly but I'm glad I chose this instead last minute.

After tweaking the pole lengths, I've come to the conclusion that they simply won't fit flush with the tarp when the doors can be snapped closed; there's just too much of a sharp bend at the top of the arch (almost pointed). If I relax the tieouts a bit the poles and nice and flush with the tarp, but the doors are about 6" too far away to snap. I can almost stretch it, but don't want to put that much pressure on the snaps.

Still not a complaint, but something I need to be aware of when setting up (do I want the poles perfect, or ability to snap doors shut). In reality, snapping them shut only on one side this trip still held a lot of condensation/frost all over the inside. So I think I will always plan on keeping them loose and with an open gap.

I love this heavy material. It's not a sponge like my other tarps.

OneClick
11-05-2019, 14:21
Here's a photo of what I mentioned above. You can see the center pole is touching the tarp nicely. You can hardly tell but the last one has a small gap; same with the closest pole (not pictured). Good enough!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q9wsb5w7at1djoe/winter_haven_inside.jpg