PDA

View Full Version : SIMPLY LIGHT DESIGNS SPINDRIFT ASYM UQ

ShortRound
01-20-2019, 11:04
I wanted to share a under quilt that Jared at Simply Light Designs now offers. Its a Asymetric synthetic under quilt made from Apex Climashield. Offered in 40 degree & 20 degree temp ratings with ion or argon fabric choices for a wind & water resistant all in one insulation system. It has insulation where you need it & none where you don't. No quilt burps letting hot air out & cold air in like traditional uq. No dialing in fiddle factor either.. Essentially another insulated hammock underneath your hammock. There is also center pulls with cord locks should you need to pull under quilt closer. Call it a synthetic wookie if you like but this things works awesome ...also NO pinching or affecting the diagonal lay as some uq tend to do.

Intimidator
01-20-2019, 11:07
I have been looking at this for a while.

One question: Is it differentially cut?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ShortRound
01-20-2019, 11:19
I have been looking at this for a while.

One question: Is it differentially cut?
Best to contact Jared on that question
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nameth
01-20-2019, 13:16
Those look great, I've been eyeing them myself. Have you weighed yours yet?

ShortRound
01-20-2019, 13:25
Those look great, I've been eyeing them myself. Have you weighed yours yet?

I don’t have a scale . But it is lighter than my full length down uq

rweb82
01-29-2019, 08:55
Does it have the ability to hang looser over another underquilt; or does it have to be pressed against the hammock? On the website, it's billed as a UQP- so I would imagine you could hang it over another UQ without compressing the loft.

ShortRound
01-29-2019, 09:23
Does it have the ability to hang looser over another underquilt; or does it have to be pressed against the hammock? On the website, it's billed as a UQP- so I would imagine you could hang it over another UQ without compressing the loft.

This is where Jared's website info confuses people. Ok if you want just a uqp for your already existing uq go with the Trail Winder uqp. The uqp is simply a windbreaker / water resistant cover for the underside of your uq & hammock. If you want an Underquilt ...go with the Trail Winder under quilt. This is no different than a synthetic under quilt ...much like the Arrowhead KAQ offerings except the insulation is cut asymmetrically instead of a slab rectangle. So to visualize...the Trail Winder Apex climashield synthetic uq is similar to the WB wookie just not made with down & baffles. Lastly If you choose the Underquilt Trail winder you have the options of using the uqp fabric (ion or argon) for the ultimate combo of insulation & outer protection. As for setting up on a standard 11' hammock its pretty much hanging another "hammock " beneath the hammock...not much else to really adjust.. Help this helps.

rweb82
01-29-2019, 10:31
This is where Jared's website info confuses people. Ok if you want just a uqp for your already existing uq go with the Trail Winder uqp. The uqp is simply a windbreaker / water resistant cover for the underside of your uq & hammock. If you want an Underquilt ...go with the Trail Winder under quilt. This is no different than a synthetic under quilt ...much like the Arrowhead KAQ offerings except the insulation is cut asymmetrically instead of a slab rectangle. So to visualize...the Trail Winder Apex climashield synthetic uq is similar to the WB wookie just not made with down & baffles. Lastly If you choose the Underquilt Trail winder you have the options of using the uqp fabric (ion or argon) for the ultimate combo of insulation & outer protection. As for setting up on a standard 11' hammock its pretty much hanging another "hammock " beneath the hammock...not much else to really adjust.. Help this helps.

Thank you. I understand the difference between the insulated/non-insulated offerings. But I'm thinking in terms of stacking the insulated Trail Winder with another underquilt- while still gaining the benefits of a UQP. Does the insulated version have the ability to hang loosely to allow a down UQ to be used on the inside while not compressing the loft? I'm sure one could add a length adjustment on the shock cord at the ends (if none exists) to allow for this. I was thinking it would be nice to have a 20° UQ on the inside with the 3.6 Trail Winder on the outside, if you needed to camp in temps below 0°.

Or perhaps it would just be better to use the down UQ on the outside. This would alleviate compression issues- however you lose the benefit of having a UQP.

Intimidator
01-29-2019, 10:32
Thank you. I understand the difference between the insulated/non-insulated offerings. But I'm thinking in terms of stacking the insulated Trail Winder with another underquilt- while still gaining the benefits of a UQP. Does the insulated version have the ability to hang loosely to allow a down UQ to be used on the inside while not compressing the loft? I'm sure one could add a length adjustment on the shock cord at the end (if none exists) to allow for this. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a 20° UQ on the inside with the 3.6 Trail Winder on the outside, if you needed to camp in temps below 0°.

Or perhaps it would just be better to use the down UQ on the outside. This would alleviate compression issues- however you lose the benefit of having a UQP.

The ability to hang loosely would just mean adding cord to the end to make it fit looser. Should work just fine IMO

rweb82
01-29-2019, 10:35
The ability to hang loosely would just mean adding cord to the end to make it fit looser. Should work just fine IMO

Thank you. That's what I was thinking as well. It seems like this would be a great way to add a meaningful boost in temp rating- while still having a UQP. I just wanted to get some perspective from folks who are currently using this.

ShortRound
01-29-2019, 10:43
Thank you. I understand the difference between the insulated/non-insulated offerings. But I'm thinking in terms of stacking the insulated Trail Winder with another underquilt- while still gaining the benefits of a UQP. Does the insulated version have the ability to hang loosely to allow a down UQ to be used on the inside while not compressing the loft? I'm sure one could add a length adjustment on the shock cord at the ends (if none exists) to allow for this. I was thinking it would be nice to have a 20° UQ on the inside with the 3.6 Trail Winder on the outside, if you needed to camp in temps below 0°.

Ahhhhhhh gotcha ..... In a uq stacking scenario. At this time I’ve only been using the trail winder as a single insulation source. Both your configurations would work , although if using the trail winder on the outside you would definitely need to lengthen the shock cord

rweb82
01-29-2019, 10:57
Ahhhhhhh gotcha ..... In a uq stacking scenario. At this time I’ve only been using the trail winder as a single insulation source. Both your configurations would work , although if using the trail winder on the outside you would definitely need to lengthen the shock cord

Perfect. That's what I was wondering! I like the idea of using synthetic for late Spring/Summer applications. And the Trail Winder would be a perfect UQ for that. But when I do my winter hangs, it would be nice to have the ability to stack it with my 20° UQ to go below 0°.

michigandave
02-08-2019, 08:03
Nice thinking outside the box with this one. I first started out with synthetic quilts then switched to down, only due to issues with packability. The concept of tying in the quilt with the UQP is brilliant and looks like a great solution for damp climates.

Wonder how long it will take for someone else to come up with something along the same lines...

ShortRound
02-08-2019, 08:08
Perfect. That's what I was wondering! I like the idea of using synthetic for late Spring/Summer applications. And the Trail Winder would be a perfect UQ for that. But when I do my winter hangs, it would be nice to have the ability to stack it with my 20° UQ to go below 0°.

Sea dug & Chesapeake both got theirs & have been stack testing with positive results . I myself am using them as stand alone under quilts ( I have a 20 & 40 degree) & that work perfect !

ShortRound
02-08-2019, 08:09
Nice thinking outside the box with this one. I first started out with synthetic quilts then switched to down, only due to issues with packability. The concept of tying in the quilt with the UQP is brilliant and looks like a great solution for damp climates.

Wonder how long it will take for someone else to come up with something along the same lines...

Im also really surprised nobody ever thought to infuse the two either ???

rweb82
02-08-2019, 08:38
Sea dug & Chesapeake both got theirs & have been stack testing with positive results . I myself am using them as stand alone under quilts ( I have a 20 & 40 degree) & that work perfect !

Thanks for the update! I think I may have to start saving for one of these- most likely the 40°. The only thing I'm curious about is why there is such a huge price difference between the 40° and 30° options. There's only a $10 difference between the 30° and 20°- which is much more in line with how quilt vendors adjust pricing between temp ratings. But an $85 jump for a 10° difference is not worth it, imo.

Lisar
07-07-2019, 19:55
I wanted to ask this same question about layering, so helpful to see the conversation here. Thank you!

ObdewlaX
07-07-2019, 20:44
I myself am using them as stand alone under quilts ( I have a 20 & 40 degree) & that work perfect !I spent 3 days on the trail recently & got to try out my new 40 deg Trail Winder & it performed great. Great compliment to the Trail Lair.