PDA

View Full Version : KAQ New River underquilt

Savage Voyageur
03-07-2010, 19:46
I have a ENO double nest hammock. How will the KAQ New River underquilt work on this hammock. This will be my first underquilt so any advice would be great. I do like this underquilt because of what I have read and viewing Utube videos. Thanks for your help.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/945132

WarmSoda
03-08-2010, 02:27
I don't know the answer but if it is a gathered end hammock, meaning that the hammock comes to point at the ends and is wide in the middle without any spreader bars etc, then I think it should work. pbgibson is an active member here and runs arrowhead equipment, so if you don;t get any other answers, you might want to send him a PM or an email.

cavscout
03-08-2010, 15:34
It should work just fine. I use this quilt on my SkeeterBeeter Pro which is very similar in design I think. If you have more specific questions let me know but to be brief, it should work fine.

Kerflop
03-09-2010, 11:11
I have used it on my Grand Trunk Traveler, Skeeter Beater and now my Blackbird. It has worked wonderfully on all three.

waddy
03-10-2010, 11:29
I used it on my Clark NX-250. It went on easily, cinched up great, stayed put, and worked wonderfully.

Harpo63
03-10-2010, 12:56
Yes, it works on my eno. If you feel it slipps off to the side you can always connect the two grosgrain loops with a line over the hammock at the foot. Kinda reduces the quilt from sliding too much if thats a problem.

Savage Voyageur
03-10-2010, 20:36
Thanks for all the help. I will order one soon.

eflat7
03-12-2010, 13:03
Works great! Fits my Eno double like a glove. Just took mine down to 28 degrees and still had some headroom.

pgibson
03-12-2010, 13:26
Works great! Fits my Eno double like a glove. Just took mine down to 28 degrees and still had some headroom.

:thumbup: 28 that's great! :D

Harpo63
03-12-2010, 13:36

Is that with or without the Insultex inserts? 28 is pretty good.

pgibson
03-12-2010, 13:45
That one was without so that is good :)

Kerflop
03-15-2010, 13:56
I am a cold sleeper and I am still needing a pad into the high 30's... Not sure if it is my quilt, me or my setup... With a pad and the quilt I got all the way down to 9 degrees. But this weekend it wasn't anywhere near that and my feet and back were still chilly...

pgibson
03-15-2010, 14:12
Hey Kerflop, Couple things to check and try next time you have a chance. First make sure the end channels are not over cinched, they should just slightly be snug. To much and they will open up a air gap letting you cool down, good when it is warm bad when cool. Second make sure the suspension is snug but not overly tight, same sort of issues. Also just as cover the bases sort of thing, make sure you are well hydrated, have a bit of warm chow in your belly an hour or so before bed, head is warm, toes are snug in clean dry warm socks that are not to tight.

Hope some of that helps but let me know if you have any questions at all.

Paul

Kerflop
03-17-2010, 14:40
Paul, thanks for the reply...

As for the belly, head and foot thing CHECK... I always have something just before bed, I wear a cap because of my shaved head and my toes are in warm loose fitting wool socks.

Now the other points may be my issue. I am more than sure I have the ends cinched up as tights as they will go and I might have the suspension overly tight as well. Just as soon as the temps drop again (which might be this weekend) I will check and see if that helps.

Bob

pgibson
03-17-2010, 14:43
That should make a big difference, at least it dose when I hang the quilts, to much tension just ends up pulling it in odd ways. You want a fair bit of stretch still in the lines. If you can have someone lay in the hammock while you play with different amounts of tension, that can really help to get you seeing what the quilt is doing when you hang it.

Savage Voyageur
04-01-2010, 21:39
I pulled the trigger and ordered one. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks all for the help.

eflat7
04-02-2010, 13:22
Sorry I didnt see this to reply. Yep, it took me to 28. I think this UQ coupled with a hammock sock can easily do 28. I do use a 20 degree down bag for TQ to be fair.

JohnSawyer
04-02-2010, 18:32
I have one, it's my first UQ, and I had those same issues... I love it. Compresses small, well made, looks cool, lightweight, and Warm...

I'll be hanging in the backyard tonight, but it won't be below 45 degrees...

Savage Voyageur
04-06-2010, 22:24
Thanks for the quick service Paul. I set it up and I could not believe how much heat that this underquilt traps. I put my hand inside between the hammock and the underquilt and it was warm. :) It also came with a nice big mesh storage bag and and smaller travel bag. This is well made and looks cool. I will post a report after I have used it for my June canoe trip.

Brendan1
05-26-2010, 21:52
couple of questions from a first time UQ buyer - is length the only difference between the new river and lost river UQ? i see the length of the lost river, but what is the length of the new river (long and regular please). most people seem to opt for the 2/3 model, but how much does this affect warmth around the feet?

Savage Voyageur
05-26-2010, 22:10
Not sure, Mine is packed for a trip this weekend. Maybe Paul can help at Arrowhead Equipment.

pgibson
05-27-2010, 09:41
couple of questions from a first time UQ buyer - is length the only difference between the new river and lost river UQ? i see the length of the lost river, but what is the length of the new river (long and regular please). most people seem to opt for the 2/3 model, but how much does this affect warmth around the feet?

Length would be the major difference on the NR and LR. New Rivers regular are for 6 foot and below users longs are for up to 6 foot 6 inch users. And actually we sell more New Rivers than Lost Rivers by a good margin. As far as warmth around the foot area with a Lost River, you will almost always want some sort of pad to keep your legs and feet warm. Pads are lighter in most cases than the additional length of the quilt. However a full length quilt will usually end up "feeling" warmer all in all as it more completely surrounds the user.

Ozzy
07-28-2010, 21:48
I'll lead by thanking everyone who posted here for helping me with the whose UQ to choose question. A week of trying to sleep on a pad left me feeling very much like a kid trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. I've been shopping around since and ordered the New River today.
Now what to do with all this newfound, giddy, kid-before-Christmas energy !?;)

bigbamaguy
07-28-2010, 23:16
Ozzy:
First, welcome to HF......second, get out there and enjoy the new equipment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eflat7
07-29-2010, 15:13
I'll lead by thanking everyone who posted here for helping me with the whose UQ to choose question. A week of trying to sleep on a pad left me feeling very much like a kid trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. I've been shopping around since and ordered the New River today.
Now what to do with all this newfound, giddy, kid-before-Christmas energy !?;)

Use that energy to get out and hike! I have the long New River and love it.

Clo-z-nuff
02-07-2011, 11:24
Anyone use the New River with a Blackbird?

Anything to watch out for?

That is an awesome price when comparing to other UQ's. I realize many others are down but are there any drawbacks to this UQ that I should be aware of?

How small does it pack?

Have I asked enough questions yet?

Should I ask some more?

bigbamaguy
02-07-2011, 12:14
Clo-:
I have used the NR on the Blackbird and it works great. Only concern is the footbox can get outside the UQ when you are getting in the bird so watch for that. Other than that it works great with the BB. I have been to the mid 20's in mine.

Pack size can vary............figure its 14" by 6" in the stuffsack with room to pack down smaller if needed to.

No there are never too many questions!!!!!!!:)~

Alan
02-07-2011, 12:55
Anyone use the New River with a Blackbird?

I have an XL New River that I've used with my Blackbird and LOVE it! I use a nacrabiner through a loop on one side of the UQ at the foot end, thread up and over the ridgeline to a loop on the other side, and cinch it up tight. Works great!