PDA

View Full Version : Instruction: Gathered End Hammock

Pages : [1] 2

Knotty
03-08-2010, 02:33
Nothing new here but thought some might find it useful to see step by step pictures on how to make a gathered end hammock. Use 3-4 yards of material, depending on how tall you are. I'm 6'2" and started with 11'6" of 1.9oz ripstop from Speer.

The whipping method comes from the Warbonnet hammocks and I learned it from others on the forum. I've changed the ridgeline a bit. On a Warbonnet it runs thru the whipped hammock ends. I wanted the ridgeline to be removable so I could play with different lengths. Mine is just a line of 2.2mm Zing-It (or is it Lash-It?) with eye splices at each end thru which the suspension gets run. Suspension is 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ron.mehringer/GatheredEndHammock?authkey=Gv1sRgCKzqwe2qr--TEQ&feat=directlink

Video:
ZSbnQs-2y8c

oldgringo
03-08-2010, 05:18
Thanks, Ron...what are the diminsions on your creation?

Just Jeff
03-08-2010, 08:31
The WBBB ridgeline has a loop tied into each end. The whole loop goes thru the whipping, then the support goes thru the RL's loop before it attaches to the hammock. So the RL will break before it pulls out of the whipping...and that's not likely.

Good idea to post an instructional vid on this for newbies!

Knotty
03-08-2010, 09:24
Dave - Finished size is 134 x 58". Ridgeline is 108".

Jeff - I'll edit my original post to reflect what you said.

patermagnus
03-08-2010, 10:00
Your whopie sling suspension is attached to the hammock through the fixed end. I did the same thing on the hammock I made this weekend, but I have the hammock above the amsteel and you have the amsteel coming off above the hammock. Do you think this makes any difference or is it personal preference?

Knotty
03-08-2010, 10:41
Good question patermagnus. I did it this way because of how the ridgeline is attached. Don't know if it makes any difference.

SmokeBait
03-08-2010, 11:38
Great video Knotty. Wish I would have had that on my first DIY hammock build. I accomplished the same thing but having all that in one area would have made it easier. Thanks!

stumo

Hawk-eye
03-08-2010, 11:38
I've got my whoopee's fixed end going through the channel twice and then through the whole thing through the eye. Pretty much did that because that's how the ENO's line was fixed on it originally. So I don't have the extra wrapping through the channel and the whoopee lashed around the resulting knot. Seems to work well ... you see any potential problems with the way I've got mine rigged up?

angrysparrow
03-08-2010, 11:42
Good work Knotty.

I'm going to stick this thread, for reference by newcomers.

Knotty
03-08-2010, 12:24
Great video Knotty. Wish I would have had that on my first DIY hammock build. I accomplished the same thing but having all that in one area would have made it easier. Thanks!

stumo
Everyone always talked about how easy and cheap it is to make a hammock but as a newbie I just couldn't visualize the whole thing. That's why I documented this one. I probably should add some links to the whoopie sling videos to make it even easier on newbies.

I've got my whoopee's fixed end going through the channel twice and then through the whole thing through the eye. Pretty much did that because that's how the ENO's line was fixed on it originally. So I don't have the extra wrapping through the channel and the whoopee lashed around the resulting knot. Seems to work well ... you see any potential problems with the way I've got mine rigged up?
That's like the standard end channel whipping method. I think the Warbonnet method is more secure as it doesn't depend on the strength of any stitching and more evenly distributes the load on the ripstop.

Good work Knotty.

I'm going to stick this thread, for reference by newcomers.
Thanks AS.

Hawk-eye
03-08-2010, 12:33
... That's like the standard end channel whipping method. I think the Warbonnet method is more secure as it doesn't depend on the strength of any stitching and more evenly distributes the load on the ripstop..

From the way it cinches up ... there's really no load on the stiches at all that I can see ... the double loop bascially locks up a ball of fabric and all the pressure is in that cluster. They have three rows of stitches on the ENO that I have and I did that on my DIY ... but now wonder if it was worth it ... since I'm not seeing the least amount of pull on the line of stitches. Oh well .. all very interesting.

Thanks

plowhorse
03-09-2010, 23:37
knotty I changed over one of my son's kalisto hammocks to the warbonnet whip. I could definately tell the difference in the lay of the hammock body. nice video for the newcommers around here.

MedicineMan
03-10-2010, 00:36
Knotty--I followed the links to your Picasa album and found the pics from your AT hike Culvers to DWG-nice! and brought back recent memories of last October..I thought the rocks around Sunfish Pond were worse than anything in PA :)
Also, the pictorial on making the hammock again makes me think I could actually make one. Thanks for the sticky

TZBrown
03-10-2010, 11:24
Very good detail on the video. It should answer a lot of questions. Simple and efficient, I like it.

clearskyblue
03-12-2010, 18:05
Nice to see all this info in a clear concise way and though I have already made 3 or so diy hammocks Im gonna try this now .Well you have to eh ....Thankyou Knotty.Good stuff.

Knotty
03-13-2010, 11:02
Thanks everyone. Since I can't be entertaining like Shug I just tried to do something that was to the point and hopefully easy to understand.

MedicineMan - Yup, those rocks around Sunfish Pond are brutal. Glad it didn't go on that way for too long.

Pipsissewa
03-13-2010, 15:46
Thanks for the good video, Ron. I'm wonder whether sewing the short ends in an arcing shape would result in a tightening of the hammock's edges when it's hung... Has anyone ever tried this? Francesca

OrionFyre
03-14-2010, 09:31
Thanks for the good video, Ron. I'm wonder whether sewing the short ends in an arcing shape would result in a tightening of the hammock's edges when it's hung... Has anyone ever tried this? Francesca

Francesca. I did just that. The first hammock I made was one for the boyfriend and he said he wanted the side of the hammock to be taut to sort of envelope him. I made an arc on each end that passed 5 inches down from the corners.

I used the 1.1oz material and am myself a big guy so I didn't test it myself but when I strung it up and he plopped in it practically snapped shut around him like a giant snapping turtle! :scared:

If you do it I wouldn't suggest much more than 2-3". I was going to re-do the beau's but he proclaimed that he loved it.

Pipsissewa
03-14-2010, 09:46
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I figured--from past experience and from Ron's instructional video--that about 2 inches in on each side would be about all it would take. Maybe even a straight across seam with just a little dive at the ends would be the ticket. I'm glad your beau likes his hammock though. I can just imagine him wrapped up like an enchalada! But, hey. If he likes it, you love it, right? I do not like floppy sides on my hammock either, but I don't know about being wrapped up in it! Happy camping!

jeffjenn
03-14-2010, 17:59

This can also make it harder to get out of if you do too much arc.

Knotty
03-15-2010, 07:44

A similar result can be accomplished by sewing together the first 8" or so of the long edges the way Hennessy does it. Headchange4u shows this in his Hennessy clone tutorial. Of course this will put the edge under even greater strain when you exit and enter from the sides. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=670
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/Hammock/HHPrototype013.jpg

cwayman1
03-15-2010, 12:41
Hey Knotty,
Thanks for the instructions! I undid (is that a word?) the old whipping and replaced it per your video and added a whoopie sling ridgeline for adjustability! What a difference it makes in lay! AND I've got the RL running through the whipping. I thought it might not adjust as well, but so far I can't see any problems with it! All that to say, GREAT JOB on the tutorial!

cwayman1

-- the RL is made form 2.2mm Zing-it and after working with that for a while, my 7/64 Amsteel seems HUGE!

thanks again!

RePete
03-16-2010, 08:21
Knotty you showed in your video that your ridgeline is about 83% of the hammock length. Is the ridge line very tight when you are in the hammock? Is it possible to get it too tight? I have not played with a structural ridgeline yet so it got me thinking when you gave the length a number. I understand that the length is personal preference for comfort but I just want to make sure when I do try it I am not doing something potentially damaging to my hammock.

Knotty
03-16-2010, 19:48
As long as the ridgeline is made from a strong enough material there should be no problem with it being tight. To me it's a design flaw if your hammock has to have a lot of slack in the ridgeline but not everyone agrees. A ridgeline that can be tight allows greater flexibility in how the hammock can be hung.

The 83% number came from the forum and I ran with it.

RePete
03-17-2010, 08:12
Thanks Knotty. Ill have to experiment with it and if I like it ill probably make a WS ridgeline. Probably a little overkill with dynaglide but strength wont be an issue.

Knotty
03-17-2010, 11:44
The dynaglide is light weight so there's no penalty to having a super strong ridgeline made from it.

Kanguru
03-28-2010, 16:53
I use the same technique and to get Speer type raised sides without sewing the top together like a Hennessy I modified the ends before creating the end cord channel seams. Looking at the top of the flat hammock blank after side hems but before end hems I measure down the side 2 or 3 inches and across on the end 4 to 6 inches. Draw a line and cut off these end triangles before creating the end seam/cord channel. This simulates pulling out some of the side seam material after gathering as done by Ed and JustJeff before knotting or whipping the ends. Once you get the desired side lift you can repeat the result every time. I found that down 2 inches and across 4 inches are the results I like. I left the ends of the gathering cord long and tied them into a loop. I don't use a structural ridgeline but is is a good way to attach my bugnet or sock support cord with mini biners.

Thanks for the great video.

Knotty
03-30-2010, 07:37
Thanks Kanguru. I'll probably give that a try on my next DIY to see how it compares.

GaHammockGuy
04-02-2010, 14:33
Knotty

I am working on a hammock now (pics and videos once I finish) and I ran my suspension (whoopie Sling) through the channel and lark headed the end of tha hammock.

Where you ran a lenght of rope through the channel, and THEN attached your suspension just below the whipping.

I am wondering if the way I did it (now that I have seen another way) is if the whoopie sling will wear on the channel and weaken the hammock and the channel and end up with my falling on my arse in the middle of the night. HMMMMM dont want that to happen.

What are your thoughts? I may whip it first and THEN attach my sling.

Knotty
04-03-2010, 19:32
Sounds like you're using a standard end channel method. A lot of people have used that with good result but there have been some who had failures.

I think the method I show would be more secure but I guess that's debatable. The main reason I used it was because everyone on the forum raves about the Warbonnet hammocks and how comfortable they are so that's what I copied. Someone else who owns a Blackbird posted instructions and I just expanded on it.

fuzzie
04-29-2010, 21:49
Nice video!
Our troop has a bunch of old tarps. Think they might make suitable hammocks?
I think I can cut them in half, and get two out each of them.
Is the structural ridgeline needed? Or can I just use the gathered ends, like my ENO Doublenest?
Thanks!

Knotty
04-29-2010, 22:14
Thanks fuzzie.

Tarps are waterproof and the conventional wisdom is not to use fabrics that don't breath for a hammock. However, JustJeff is currently challenging that idea. Personally I'd recommend finding some cheap ripstop and using that.

The structural ridgeline is not needed. It just makes it a lot easier to create a consistent hang.

Good luck!

fuzzie
04-30-2010, 22:37
Gotcha! Good advice. Bought 3.3 yards of ripstop and made one in an hour...son is sleeping in it as I type (at cub camp)!
Photos tomorrow...it's a little dark right now!

Knotty
05-06-2010, 00:26
Gotcha! Good advice. Bought 3.3 yards of ripstop and made one in an hour...son is sleeping in it as I type (at cub camp)!
Photos tomorrow...it's a little dark right now!

Let's see those pics fuzzie.

WVassello
05-13-2010, 14:14
Knotty,
I duplicated your gathered end hammock last night, and was all set to put a bugnet onto it, when my carefully thought out plans went to mush. I must have been flawed in my picture of the bugnet shape to get the result I was looking for (a Clark style bugnet that has a zipper in a U shape).
What type of bugnet did you use for this type of hammock?
And is there so much slack in the hammock sides, that a bugnet attached to the side seems would be always loose?

I'm half way into it, but I think tonight I have to rip it all apart and rethink this bugnet plan.

Knotty
05-13-2010, 23:29
Wish I could help you there friend but I haven't added a bug net to this hammock. Like you, I just can't decide what approach to take. I'm leaning towards a detached net with an elasticized bottom opening.

Running Feather
05-14-2010, 00:29
I've been using the "Curtain method" since I got away from the claustrophobic enclosure deal. For short hikes - a 10x12 'curtain' over the ridgeline with 2 grip-clips on each end. For longer hikes a 5x12 'curtain' hung over structural RL. I don't worry about closing off the bottom. Fortunately bugs are heat seekers and are not smart enough to go down, under, up and over, to get to people.

The beauty - just slide the 'curtain' away when not needed.
The downside - 2 to 3 oz weight penalty for 10x12

Ease of use + freedom +/- weight penalty = Winner!

WVassello
05-18-2010, 01:41
Knotty,
After my bugnet setback, I started to rethink the base hammock all together.
11'6" is a bit big for a single hammock (think I'll be in the 9'-9'6" range), not to mention the bugnet and tarp that I will need for it. So that got me thinking about the gathered end as well. I played around with gathering the end in different styles, and found that I while I pulled the ends a little to take up the slack on the sides, I could pull up the middle to give me a little shorter centerline. This has the effect of creating side pockets like the "W" fold and whip. I took that idea and modified the gathered end channel to match my new shape. Even though I am test bedding on an 8' hammock, it was flat and comfortable and better than the other styles I have tried so far.
I am going to tweak the dimensions a little and then apply this new end to the hammock I was in the middle of when this all started.
Ever used this technique for the channel style ends?

Knotty
05-18-2010, 18:27
Knotty,
After my bugnet setback, I started to rethink the base hammock all together.
11'6" is a bit big for a single hammock (think I'll be in the 9'-9'6" range), not to mention the bugnet and tarp that I will need for it. So that got me thinking about the gathered end as well. I played around with gathering the end in different styles, and found that I while I pulled the ends a little to take up the slack on the sides, I could pull up the middle to give me a little shorter centerline. This has the effect of creating side pockets like the "W" fold and whip. I took that idea and modified the gathered end channel to match my new shape. Even though I am test bedding on an 8' hammock, it was flat and comfortable and better than the other styles I have tried so far.
I am going to tweak the dimensions a little and then apply this new end to the hammock I was in the middle of when this all started.
Ever used this technique for the channel style ends?

I'm a tall guys, so I like long hammocks but not everyone needs them.

Never tried the whipping your suggesting. Maybe you could post some pics or a sketch/diagram?

WVassello
05-19-2010, 06:40
I'll post pics soon. Just tested a few lengths last night. I can snap a few pics when I put it together for real.

I am not that tall (5'7"). So I can save some material weight and bulk. But I'm wondering if the additional space isn't a good place to put gear. Does anyone skip the gear hammock and just pull the pack into the hammock? Maybe hang it off a loop near the end like the ridgeline attachment.

WVassello
05-21-2010, 15:10
Here are some pics of the mods I did to tighten the sides and to create "pockets" on either side of the center for shoulder relief and foot space. I will have some more pics when I get a chance to hang it and take a well deserved nap.

Boris Losdindawoods
05-23-2010, 11:52
Does anyone skip the gear hammock and just pull the pack into the hammock? Maybe hang it off a loop near the end like the ridgeline attachment.

I do this when I'm using my DIY hammock. Not as much room in the Hennessy but still possible. With the DIY, I just use an s-biner to clip the pack to the suspension and let it sit on the foot end of the hammock. I can scaffle around inside the pack just by sitting up in the hammock. Having the pack in the hammock only really works because the hammock is huge. It's 12' long. :o It just barely fits under the big Guide Gear tarp and I LOVE IT! It's ridiculously comfy.

I also have open nacrabiners threaded through the whipping at each end on both hammocks. I can hook them to the suspension and hang things from them inside the hammock if needed. That's the way I have to do it with the Hennessy because of the bugnet.

Boris

Knotty
05-23-2010, 11:58
Here are some pics of the mods I did to tighten the sides and to create "pockets" on either side of the center for shoulder relief and foot space. I will have some more pics when I get a chance to hang it and take a well deserved nap.

Can you explain what's being shown in the pics? In pic #3 is the end channel of the hammock on the left? If yes, then it looks like you have made the ends narrower than the sides? Not sure if others have tried this. I thought the more common approach to tighten the sides was to leave the end channel full length but cut it with curved ends instead of straight.

WVassello
05-31-2010, 21:39
Sorry about the delay in reply. I have not been checking in lately.

The shape ends up being like 2 humps. This has the effect of pulling in the sides and the middle a little tighter. This gives you a little bit of slack on either side of the middle. Kind of like the "W" whip but using the gathered end method.

My first shots at the mods. Seems to be working out well so far.

TDFbound
06-08-2010, 08:53
Finished size is 134 x 58". Ridgeline is 108".

How is that length for you? I am about to start a hammock project, but am trying to figure out what length of material to use and a good ridgeline dimension. I have only slept in a Hennessy, and it was OK, but felt a little short for me, like it was too saggy? I was more bowed up than I would have liked, with too much elevation for my feet. I am 6'4" and just want to sleep relatively flat. Would appreciate any help from you, or any other folks that read this!

KerMegan
06-08-2010, 09:10
the general consensus is your height plus 2 or 3 feet-on each end; but with a diagonal lay (to enhance flatness) you might need a bit less. I suggest 4 yards of a decent weight nylon or poly material- whatever you can pick up for cheap will suffice for testing purposes, and try the knotted end or lashed sheet bend (?) technique to see if it is better (no sewing required!). if that is too big/heavy/loose or whatever, it is easier to move the knot/lashing than to rip out and resew channels.
hope this helps! KM

Frawg
06-08-2010, 09:43
Another fitting trick, before doing any sewing, is to start with an overlong length of fabric. Slip each hammock end through a ring (think napkin ring) before tying the end knots. You can adjust the effective length of the hammock by moving the rings in or out, then take the measurement once you find a length that works for you.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/3/3/090209_test_02_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4970&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=ASC&imageuser=2533&cutoffdate=-1)

Knotty
06-08-2010, 22:05
How is that length for you? I am about to start a hammock project, but am trying to figure out what length of material to use and a good ridgeline dimension. I have only slept in a Hennessy, and it was OK, but felt a little short for me, like it was too saggy? I was more bowed up than I would have liked, with too much elevation for my feet. I am 6'4" and just want to sleep relatively flat. Would appreciate any help from you, or any other folks that read this!

I'm 6'2" and that hammock is a great fit. I think even with the 2" you have on me you'd be comfortable in it as well.

When in doubt, go long. You can always remove material but you can't add it.

GvilleDave
06-19-2010, 13:49
Knotty - Thanks a ton for the instructions and video! I just took the maiden hang in my first DIY hammock. Three weeks ago I bought an old sewing machine practiced on a few stuff sack, then progressed to a Jerry chair and now your hammock.

I am now officially hooked on the MYOG thing...

By the way mine is made from one layer of some very light poly ripstop that I grabbed at WW. I am 6'2" & 260# and the hammock holds me just fine. Here's a pic of the fabric:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/1/4/dscn0816_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=9608&c=searchresults&searchid=44023)

I'll post a pic of the hammock in a few...

GvilleDave
06-21-2010, 09:10
Here are some pics of my new hammock:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/1/4/100_0213_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=9759&c=4)

This one shows the connection of the ridgeline to the suspension. I reused my old WBBB suspension that I replaced with whoopie slings - it was already made up and looked lonely sitting a gear box in the basement... I ran the ridgeline through the hole in the gathered end and then passed the suspension lines through the loop in the ridgeline before I secured to larkshead. I may change that so that the ridge does not go through the gathered end and just attaches to the suspension. The way I have it now keeps me from hanging stuff on the gathered ball (UQ suspension, stuff sacks, etc...).
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/1/4/100_0214_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=9760&c=4)

Here is my guinea pig testing the weight holding capacity of this super light WM fabric. I started with 82# son, then ???# wife, then 260# self and was shocked that it held me great, no stress or damage at all. There was some stretch when I got in but not much. I am shocked this stuff held me. I really built this thinking that for $6 in fabric it would be good sewing practice, which it was. But this stuff is amazingly strong and so light the slightest breeze caused the fabric to lift when empty.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/1/4/100_0215_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=9761&c=4)

Knotty
06-21-2010, 09:55
Congrats Dave. Everything looks good.

The ridgeline attachment is something you can play with until you find what suits you best.

I made a couple of hammocks for my nephews out of the Walmart fabric, but it was the digital camo and they're little kids so weight isn't a concern.

Shore08
07-23-2010, 14:46
I am having a hard time understanding how you attached the structural ridge line. It is tough for me to see in the picture due to it being white on white (the line).

You have an end channel, which the whipping is run through. That get tied off. Then the suspension goes behind that (on the hammock side).

Does the ridgeline go between the whipping and the suspension? I guess what confuses me is that it looks like the two lines would be crossed, and pull against each other. Isn't that bad on rope? (Rope rescue class I took said the easiest way to cut a rope is to use another one against it).

Thanks for the clarification :D

Knotty
07-24-2010, 21:47
The ridgeline is simply looped over the suspension line or to say it differently, the suspension lines are threaded through the loops in the ridgeline.

Because the lines are static, and don't run across each other, I'm not worried about one sawing through the other. Still it's wise to visually inspect the lines for wear.

Shore08
07-25-2010, 14:44
Thanks Ron, that helped explain it.

jons4real
07-25-2010, 15:18
Thanks for the video

GnomePatrol
07-25-2010, 15:49
I know the ridgeline is personal as to length but on my 10' diy the ridgeline is much shorter than any I have read about. 101" is a popular number but that just ends up being slack and hangs almost down to the hammock body. Am I measuring wrong? I measure from the "whipping to whipping" since thats where my rl is attached.

Knotty
07-26-2010, 15:42
Thanks Ron, that helped explain it.

Thanks for the video
You're both welcome.

I know the ridgeline is personal as to length but on my 10' diy the ridgeline is much shorter than any I have read about. 101" is a popular number but that just ends up being slack and hangs almost down to the hammock body. Am I measuring wrong? I measure from the "whipping to whipping" since thats where my rl is attached.

Sounds like you're measuring right. A rule of thumb is the ridgeline should be 83% of the hammock length. A 10', or 120", hammock would have a 100" structural ridgeline. If you're ridgeline is slack, then that means you're hammock suspension angle is too steep. A ridgeline can prevent too little sag but can't prevent too much. Again, a good rule of thumb is for the suspension lines to be 30 degrees from horizontal.

Kasuko
08-05-2010, 13:21
Any advice how to modify these steps to make one of these? http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/underbelly.html

I always have a lot of gear that sits on the ground a lot when I car camp and think this is the answer.

I was thinking of following the advice without a ridge line ... or maybe I should shallow it up a bit?

Knotty
08-05-2010, 17:14
I'd just make the gear hammock much shorter and narrower than the main hammock, and like you wrote, no ridgeline. Also, use 1.1oz nylon if you have it.

Kasuko
08-06-2010, 08:04
Thanks, and due to fabric availability I will probably make it out of this stuff http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15549 but this is for car camping only since when I car camp my bag usually sits in one place the whole time and makes a wonderful home for a lot of critters etc.

If I like it enough I may purchase material for a lightweight one. But that's not in the budget right now (there is a lot more important stuff I need to buy first)

terceiro
08-07-2010, 18:35
If you're not worrying about the weight for something like the underbelly you link to, then you could use just about anything. I've jury-rigged up a few using a variety of materials (though mostly with old DIY hammocks). I've had some success with Neat Sheet fabric, with Tyvek, and even with an old cotton bedspread (that last one never saw any camping time, but was handy in the yard for holding my water bottle, etc). For car camping, if I didn't have fabric coming out of my ears at home, I'd probably just go get a bedsheet from the thrift store and then toss it at the end of my trip.

magiccitymatt
08-16-2010, 12:40
This was my very first DIY hammock project and I just have to say Thank You to knotty for publishing such great instructions. My hammock is awesome right out of the gate. I used some old non-treated ripstop from walmart and could not be happier with my 12oz hammock.
I am still drinking from the fire hose that is all the DIY instruction on this forum but I am trying to go back and thank those involved in creating it.

m

Lonely Raven
08-16-2010, 14:16
I am still drinking from the fire hose that is all the DIY instruction on this forum but I am trying to go back and thank those involved in creating it.

m

Ain't that the truth (on both points). :D

Knotty
08-16-2010, 14:50
This was my very first DIY hammock project and I just have to say Thank You to knotty for publishing such great instructions. My hammock is awesome right out of the gate. I used some old non-treated ripstop from walmart and could not be happier with my 12oz hammock.

m

You're very welcome and welcome to the forum. I'm glad to see so many people making their own hammocks.

There's a lot of info to absorb but also no need to absorb it all. Most of the stuff, like whoopie slings, is just tweaking and not a necessity. Start simple and go from there.

russmay
09-11-2010, 09:28
I'm 6 ft at 220 lbs. Will 1.9 ripstop hold my weight or will I have to make a double? Also how much does a hammock like this weigh?

MacEntyre
09-11-2010, 09:48
I'm 6 ft at 220 lbs. Will 1.9 ripstop hold my weight or will I have to make a double?
It ought to hold you, because it holds me... 'nuff said!

Also how much does a hammock like this weigh? If it actually weighs 1.9 oz per square yard, it should be about 12 oz. for a 10 foot hammock made with 60 inch wide nylon. However, I think it weighs more...

Banana Hammock
09-11-2010, 22:28
At the end of your video - how did you hang it in your house?

Banana Hammock
09-13-2010, 14:12
knotty I changed over one of my son's kalisto hammocks to the warbonnet whip. I could definately tell the difference in the lay of the hammock body. nice video for the newcommers around here.

So the warbonnet whip is better than this gathered end style? Can anyone direct me to more information on this warbonnet whip? Thanks.

Knotty
09-13-2010, 23:12
BH - The method I show IS the Warbonnet technique.

Until recently I hung in the basement from the floor joists.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/dsc01948.jpg

Recently moved upstairs and hang from stainless steel pad eyes mounted to the ceiling with screws into the joists. No pics yet.

MacEntyre
09-14-2010, 05:03
Recently moved upstairs ...
For what it's worth, I think they should have allowed you upstairs long ago! :rolleyes:

Stainless steel eye pads, eh? Nothing but the best! :cool:

Knotty
09-14-2010, 23:11
Took some work to convince my better half that I could hang in my office (spare bedroom) without bringing down the house. Now that I'm no longer in steerage, I decided to go with a brazilian. Much easier to use indoors since it's long and hangs at a steep angle. With the gathered end I needed over 20' btw hang points on the basement joists but the brazilian needs only 15' and since the hang angle is around 45deg, the load is less than body weight.

Bo'sun Supplies is a good source for the pad eyes. Item No. S3705-0008. $5.83 each.
http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2.cfm?product=S370-OP
http://www.bosunsupplies.com/images/3705-0.jpg

russmay
09-19-2010, 17:44
Thank Knotty! Just got done with my first DIY Hammock! The stitches might not be all that straight but it is mine.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=610&pictureid=4647

Knotty
09-19-2010, 23:22
Cheers buddy. I can't see the crooked stitches...just the smile on your face.

Fantastic.

GR8.2.B.A.Mnteer
09-27-2010, 19:24
Knotty,

How flat can you get in this design and can you see over the side of the hammock when laying in it?

thx

Knotty
09-27-2010, 20:01
This design creates a very flat lay but as with almost any hammock, the material will block some of your view. Hard to provide an objective answer.

Being that it is very easy and fast to produce a hammock with this method, the best thing to do is just try it.

MacEntyre
09-27-2010, 20:04
I've often considered installing a window in the head end of a DIY hammock.

jred
09-27-2010, 20:25
I've found that on warmer nights, pulling the sides of the hammock over negates the need for a light blanket...

Knotty
09-28-2010, 08:52
I've often considered installing a window in the head end of a DIY hammock.

Use thermopane for better warmth. :laugh:

MacEntyre
09-28-2010, 12:05
Use thermopane for better warmth. :laugh:
...or DIY version of WarmWindow: PE Foam Drapery! :lol:

ToeJam
10-07-2010, 12:18
Another post of gratitude! I'm new to the forums and I just finished my first DIY hammock thanks to your video! I'm also going to experiment with the long side dimensions to find a side tension I like.

One question for everyone: Where are people finding this dirt cheap nylon? I live in Portland OR and only one of our Wally Worlds carries fabric and of course they don't have rip stop nylon. I ended up getting it at Joanne's for $5.24 a yard on sale from $6.99. Every time they come out with a coupon for discount on regular priced item, they put rip stop on sale :(.

Also, I have no idea what kind of rip stop I bought, 1.1, 1.9, etc. It wasn’t labeled on any of the bolts. Is there a way to find out? Suppose I could weigh it lol... just don't have a scale. Regardless it feels coooooooooooooomfy!

Thanks again! Time to DIY an under quilt.
-Christian

BackpackingBoomer
10-17-2010, 09:33
what is the best method of gathering the ends at the channel in terms of durability and strength?

Airborne
10-23-2010, 10:31
I would love to have a simple hammock (no bug netting, gathered-end type) to lay on the diagonal easily. I just can't see investing in a sewing machine (lost in hurricaine Katrina) for just a reason.

Anyone willing to help--will pay.

Thanks!

Knotty
10-24-2010, 18:04
ktstone - I'll make you one, no charge. How tall are you and what's your weight. Feel free to respond by PM if you prefer.

Airborne
10-24-2010, 18:53
ktstone - I'll make you one, no charge. How tall are you and what's your weight. Feel free to respond by PM if you prefer.

That is SUPER NICE of you! I am in your debt! WOW! Sent you a PM.

My WBBB is really nice but this winter hangin will be much better without a "sky purana" net. :)

Thanks Million!!!!

bloomgorge
10-24-2010, 19:45
really cool Knotty!

meanmoe
10-24-2010, 20:03
One question for everyone: Where are people finding this dirt cheap nylon? I live in Portland OR and only one of our Wally Worlds carries fabric and of course they don't have rip stop nylon. I ended up getting it at Joanne's for $5.24 a yard on sale from $6.99. Every time they come out with a coupon for discount on regular priced item, they put rip stop on sale :(.

Thanks again! Time to DIY an under quilt.
-Christian

Hey Christian,
Look in the Other Vendors section. I just ordered 12 yards of Ripstop Camo from Backwoods Day Dreamer (BWDD) for $3.00/yd. Plan on making a couple of Breathable UQ covers that will double as a double layer for the HH Expl and Expd we have.

BLUEFIN 774
10-24-2010, 21:39
Hey Knotty,

That is nice of you to make the hammock for ktstone. Hammock Forums is an awesome place ! :):D:)

Knotty
10-25-2010, 00:00
Others here have showed me kindness so I'm paying it forward.

MacEntyre
10-25-2010, 06:16
Hammock Forums is an awesome place ! :):D:)
...and Knotty is a nice guy! Hang on to that hammock he makes.

:thumbup:

Knotty
10-25-2010, 09:31
:blush: Aw shucks. You're embarrassing me. :blush:

bloomgorge
10-25-2010, 19:25
you actually look like you're blushing in your avatar

cosmicmiami
11-13-2010, 10:07
I whipped one of these together the other day. This morning I put on my old HH lashing straps and hung it in the yard. Some interesting observations.

First of all, I rolled my own. :shades: At first it was tricky but I started to get the hang of it. I don't see being able to just floor the gas and let 'er rip while feeding the nylon into the presser foot. My pace was about 12" at a time, stop, twist up another section, give it the gas, etc. But the seams came out pretty decent. I'll post pics when I get everything squared away. Note to self, et al., stop the machine with the needle down. Yeah I know that's a cardinal rule but I broke the law a few times and had to fudge around to make it right. Oh well. Who's keeping score?

I started with similar measurements for the raw fabric. I'm 72.5" so I'm close to Knotty. The finished flat fabric was 108" total. After doing the whipping on the ends it measured 102" whipping to whipping.

Just a few minutes ago I had the DIY hung without a SRL. To me, it does seem like the sides are a little floppy. I thought about doing the side notches but figured I could do those later if I wanted to. Easier to cut off the fabric than put it back on right?;)

I had the ridge measured without the SRL while I was in the hammock. It measured 92".

I'm interested to see how much different the hang is with a SRL of 85" (83% of TL 102").

It may happen today it may not. Other things on the list and it would be irresponsible to putter around with this thing most of the day. Then again, why not right? We'll see. I was thinking of putting a UCR on this just to 'speriment a little with that concept and see how much different they are than the whoopies. Seems like a perfect excuse.

Here's a couple pics after I made up a couple slings. The SRL is also adjustable about 6".

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15586&stc=1&d=1289680718

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15587&stc=1&d=1289680718

Knotty
11-14-2010, 10:27
It's amazing how simple these hammocks are, stripped of additional features like netting, footbox, etc.

cosmicmiami, if it's too floppy for you, adding a "footbox" is easy. I did it to one of mine to help keep my quilt from falling out. Just add a section of material shaped like a right triangle to one edge of the hammock. The 90 degree corner of the triangle should be positioned right where your feet naturally lay.

cosmicmiami
11-14-2010, 12:25
It's amazing how simple these hammocks are, stripped of additional features like netting, footbox, etc.

I know. Kind of embarrassed to say I bought one!! Oh well, that was a HH with the integrated bug net. Kind of an essential item in Florida. Although once I get this one tweaked, it will be the winter hammock.

if it's too floppy for you, adding a "footbox" is easy. I did it to one of mine to help keep my quilt from falling out. Just add a section of material shaped like a right triangle to one edge of the hammock. The 90 degree corner of the triangle should be positioned right where your feet naturally lay.

I'll need to do some research on the footbox. Something I would surely do.

I'm curious about perhaps doing a true asym hammock. It would possibly require two pieces of nylon cut asym, like a tarp, and hemmed right down the middle, longitudinally. I wonder if a flat felled seam would hold up?

Knotty
11-14-2010, 12:56
You might find laying on the seam to be uncomfortable. Even a Hennessy is actually cut symmetrically. They just offset the tieouts and shape the bugnet to suit.

thegreatjesse
11-21-2010, 15:36
I threw this together last night. It was my first sewing project, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. It'll be my girlfriend's hammock when she needs one, and probably a loaner for a friend trying out hammocking. I plan on adding a bugnet, HH-Style with a zipper on one side and sewn in on the other. I also made the whoopie slings using Amsteel 7/64.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs603.ash2/155558_10150326437920442_771275441_15715297_283668 9_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1123.snc4/148577_10150326437625442_771275441_15715290_289954 5_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1177.snc4/154938_10150326437395442_771275441_15715283_251214 4_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs950.snc4/74347_10150326437175442_771275441_15715278_7607305 _n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs580.ash2/150283_10150326437760442_771275441_15715292_761448 8_n.jpg

I also plan on adding a ridgeline, but I'd like to keep it on a relatively flat curve, since my ladyfriend has hip problems, and somehow it helps to have a low-angled pitch. On to the IX UQ!

Knotty
11-21-2010, 17:30
Looks good. Hammock and whoopie slings are even color coordinated. :)

thegreatjesse
11-21-2010, 20:26
haha, joann fabrics' idea of "lt. grey" .. could be the crappy iphone camera, but it does look more blue than grey to me.

Knotty
11-28-2010, 22:38
That is SUPER NICE of you! I am in your debt! WOW! Sent you a PM.

My WBBB is really nice but this winter hangin will be much better without a "sky purana" net. :)

Thanks Million!!!!

Airborne - Your hammock is done. Walmart digital camo fabric of unknown content but a number of people on the forum have made hammocks with it and I haven't heard of any problems. Whoopie slings made for 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

Use at own risk. :laugh:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/img00191-20101128-2226_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=11659&c=4)

bloomgorge
11-29-2010, 16:56
Ron -

when your whipping the ends do you do anything fancy to lay like a hennessy or do you just gather evenly to the center of the fabric?

Thanks,

Patrick

Knotty
11-30-2010, 01:35
My goal was to duplicate the lay of a Warbonnet hammock, so all I do is gather the material up using a small cord in the end channel. It just bunches up evenly as you pull. End result is a very comfortable lay but the sides are a little floppy. Sometimes I add a footbox triangle to one side to keep my quilts from falling out. The footbox triangle shortens the side of the hammock but does not affect the lay.

pndwind
11-30-2010, 08:15
If you give the ends a convex cut before sewing channel could the floppy sides be solved? Or just pull more side material through the whipping?

Knotty
11-30-2010, 16:02
If you give the ends a convex cut before sewing channel could the floppy sides be solved? Or just pull more side material through the whipping?

Yes, the convex cut should work, just haven't tried it yet. I was trying to avoid the "bathtub" effect.

No "whipping" with this approach, so you can't just pull more side material thru.

bloomgorge
11-30-2010, 17:28
Yes, the convex cut should work, just haven't tried it yet. I was trying to avoid the "bathtub" effect.

No "whipping" with this approach, so you can't just pull more side material thru.

i'm not sure i understand this....anyone got any photo's or can explain it further?

Knotty
11-30-2010, 17:51
i'm not sure i understand this....anyone got any photo's or can explain it further?

Just watch the video in post #1 of this thread. :D

kc7fys
11-30-2010, 22:40
Whellp... looks like my first outing. A sort of "Barbie Hammock," went fairly well. 62" sqaure of WM ripstop, and it's far too small for my son. Long after I had fashioned this ill-conceived dwarf, I noted the 2~3 feet on each end rule. Who cares, I had fun, and this will be a fun addition to his room for reading Seuss and stuff. So I figure a 9-footer will last him a couple years until he passes it down to his sister. Thanks for the (long, fragmented) tutorial. I was able to get my feet wet and whet my appetite for more hammockry.

Correction: 62" by 31". I just folded it in half--FAR too small, but it was a beginning.

cosmicmiami
12-08-2010, 11:37
The other day I was lounging around in my DIY made with these instructions. The angle of the sun was such that if I layed feet-right, head-left, I was being shaded. So I rotated counter clockwise to a feet-left, head-right position to gather up some sun and warmth. To my surprise, the lay seemed much different. In fact, more comfortable.

After switching back and forth several times, I was convinced there was a different lay.

Got out of the hammock and flipped it over. Got in and realized now that the feet-right, head-left position was now more comfortable.

Now, am I crazy? Am I somehow convincing myself there is a difference? I guess I need to deconstruct the gathered ends now to see the orientation of the ends.

dbs1crew
12-16-2010, 11:09
Just finished making this. Amazing instructional and hammock! Thanks and if you have anymore DIYs let me know!

Knotty
12-16-2010, 12:12
The other day I was lounging around in my DIY made with these instructions. The angle of the sun was such that if I layed feet-right, head-left, I was being shaded. So I rotated counter clockwise to a feet-left, head-right position to gather up some sun and warmth. To my surprise, the lay seemed much different. In fact, more comfortable.

After switching back and forth several times, I was convinced there was a different lay.

Got out of the hammock and flipped it over. Got in and realized now that the feet-right, head-left position was now more comfortable.

Now, am I crazy? Am I somehow convincing myself there is a difference? I guess I need to deconstruct the gathered ends now to see the orientation of the ends.

When I first started using my DIY gathered end laying on one diagonal vs. the other felt very different. Over time I realized it was just that one lay was more familiar than the other. I now use head right/feet left most of the time. Maybe that's what's happening with you?

Just finished making this. Amazing instructional and hammock! Thanks and if you have anymore DIYs let me know!

Thanks. At the moment this is my only DIY. Have fun with your new hammock.

Wags
12-16-2010, 22:27
wow man how have i never seen this thread!!!

now, where to find 4 yards of black 1.5 ripstop...

Wags
12-31-2010, 11:36
found some here, but so expensive and of unknown weight

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2699&PRODID=xprd560961

Knotty
12-31-2010, 13:46
The JoAnn ripstop is generally accepted as being 1.7oz (or is it 1.9oz, I can never remember which is the standard). This weight should be plenty strong as a single layer hammock for most people.

sclittlefield
12-31-2010, 13:51
The JoAnn ripstop is generally accepted as being 1.7oz (or is it 1.9oz, I can never remember which is the standard). This weight should be plenty strong as a single layer hammock for most people.

1.9oz. It's 70 denier. Their "Sport ripstop" is type 6.6 nylon (better than type 6). Always use the 40-50% coupon when buying from them.

exup
01-01-2011, 00:05
I may be wrong, but if you're looking specifically 1.5, I thought I saw that backwoods day dreamer had some.

Knotty
01-01-2011, 19:34
1.9oz. It's 70 denier. Their "Sport ripstop" is type 6.6 nylon (better than type 6). Always use the 40-50% coupon when buying from them.

What does "type 6.6" etc mean?

Bags4266
01-01-2011, 19:45
I may be wrong, but if you're looking specifically 1.5, I thought I saw that backwoods day dreamer had some.

I just bought some of that 1.5 from Scotty and it's nice material perfect for my weight. The color isn't to bad either, when I bought it I was thinking it would be the Sil-nylon grey but it actually is deeper in color.

Wags
01-01-2011, 22:26
deeper as in greener? or deeper as in darker grey?

Bags4266
01-02-2011, 05:23
I would say it does have a green tone to it. But it is gray. Clear as mud right!

exup
01-02-2011, 08:43
I may have to order some of that 1.5. A single layer of 1.1 may work, but at 185lbs 1.5 may do me better. I've never made a hammock before but it seems so simple, I've been wanting to make a smaller one, like nano 7 size. I know its 9' x 4' but I'm not sure if that's the raw material size or what. I'm only 5'8" so I think it could work for me.

Wags
01-02-2011, 12:00
bags any chance you could take a picture of it beside soemthing that is definitely grey?

bloomgorge
01-02-2011, 18:55
so i just made a DIY hammock for the first time, not sure if i did it right. i used material that is 60" wide, doesn't lie like my HH so maybe that's why i'm thrown off a little cause i haven't laid it anything else. I'm able to wrap the side walls completely around me almost like i'm in a sock. is this normal with these types of hammocks at 60" wide?

MarshLaw303
01-02-2011, 19:38
can you wrap it around you when laying diagonal? i use 66" and it works for me. i am a big fella who uses fabric that isn't rated for his weight(flattness) so i sleep on a hard diagonal which does tighten up loose side. add a tie-out by your head to pull the fabric away and you'll be good i think.

-Tim

bloomgorge
01-02-2011, 20:10
i can only wrap it around me when laying down the center. if I lay diagonally my feet seem like they could slip out the side. i did use 1.1 and doubled it up and added a 30" slit near the head to slip a pad in there. the pad does help a little with the fabric. i haven't added a ridge line, not sure if i'm going to. it lays pretty flat at 11' long.

Knotty
01-02-2011, 20:49
i can only wrap it around me when laying down the center. if I lay diagonally my feet seem like they could slip out the side. i did use 1.1 and doubled it up and added a 30" slit near the head to slip a pad in there. the pad does help a little with the fabric. i haven't added a ridge line, not sure if i'm going to. it lays pretty flat at 11' long.

Sloppy sides are the norm with this hammock design. For my main gathered end hammock I added a "footbox" triangle to one side. Keeps the top quilt from sliding out onto the ground.

See posts number 3 & 4 in this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25800

GvilleDave
01-02-2011, 21:12
Another factor in why the edges flop on this and not on your HH is because your HH is built w/ asymetrical tie-outs. If you don't like to loose edges you could add tie out points to this hammock design pretty easy.

rjcress
01-03-2011, 10:14
I get floppy sides with any design I've tried that doesn't have a bug net.
Adding the bug net generally keeps the sides from flopping I my face.
And it keeps m feet from slipping out also.
I'm 6'4" and wake up with dangling feet regularly in my HH clone w/o bug net.

Knotty
01-03-2011, 12:51
I get floppy sides with any design I've tried that doesn't have a bug net.
Adding the bug net generally keeps the sides from flopping I my face.
And it keeps m feet from slipping out also.
I'm 6'4" and wake up with dangling feet regularly in my HH clone w/o bug net.

That's interesting. I would have thought the HH clone would have shortened sides, keeping things more upright. My Speer has no net but is definitely bathtub like with no chance of feet falling out. Hmmm?

bloomgorge
01-03-2011, 14:05
i can see that my feet want to slip out the side if i lay at any angle. i think I might play with the idea of making this more like a HH using headchange4u's method on one of his post. but to begin i think i'm going to change the whipping to a gather and bias the opposite sides to see if this improves. i haven't added a ridgeline so we'll see if that improves anything.
to be honest, it's for a buddy and not me so he's the rat in these trails.

Rottmaster
01-12-2011, 10:44
Nothing new here but thought some might find it useful to see step by step pictures on how to make a gathered end hammock. Use 3-4 yards of material, depending on how tall you are. I'm 6'2" and started with 11'6" of 1.9oz ripstop from Speer.

The whipping method comes from the Warbonnet hammocks and I learned it from others on the forum. I've changed the ridgeline a bit. On a Warbonnet it runs thru the whipped hammock ends. I wanted the ridgeline to be removable so I could play with different lengths. Mine is just a line of 2.2mm Zing-It (or is it Lash-It?) with eye splices at each end thru which the suspension gets run. Suspension is 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ron.mehringer/GatheredEndHammock?authkey=Gv1sRgCKzqwe2qr--TEQ&feat=directlink

Video:
ZSbnQs-2y8c
Knotty where do you get your ripstop from?

Knotty
01-12-2011, 13:03
Rottmaster - The answer is right in front of you. First paragraph, last sentence of the quoted message above. :D

"I'm 6'2" and started with 11'6" of 1.9oz ripstop from Speer."

JohnOscat
01-17-2011, 08:32
Found some ripstop at Walmart yesterday for $1.50 a yard in a dark green. I bought 4.5 yards and sewed up my first DIY Hammock! Mine came out a little narrower at about 52 inches, which has me a bit worried because my Amazonas Traveler is 54 wide. Finished length is about 11' and I'm hoping that the length makes up for the lack of width. I triple stitched the end channels to thread a Soft Shackle through it for the suspension (a la Grand Trunk Nano and suspension). Haven't really had time to try it, I'll take it to work and if it stops raining on my break I'll string it up between the ladder racks on two trucks.

Thanks for the instructions! nice and simple first build!

ChrisH
01-17-2011, 15:10
Which Walmart did you go to? I looked at the N. Salem one a few days ago and they didn't have any ripstop at all. Was it hiding from me?

rjcress
01-17-2011, 15:41
I'm still fairly new at this, but I think that many folks find that width combined with length = comfort because they can lay more diagonally and get flatter.
54" sounds a bit narrow to me, but I'm 6'4" and I really like a wide hammock that I can lay diagonally in.
If you find that you want a bit more width, you might try adding panels to each side extra width. Similar to the WBBB or Jerry 5

You might find this thread useful:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16164
and here is info on the Warbird (attached)

Highbinder
01-24-2011, 06:21
Quick question guys, for the whipping what sort of cord can I use? Does it matter if it's thin diameter? I have some spare 2mm rigging line from my tarp line that I want to use, will it be suitable?

MrClean417
01-24-2011, 10:16
I used nylon cord from Home Depot. I don't know the longevity of that and this is a learner hammock I'm dealing with. The whipping itself just needs to stay in place but the pressures aren't on the knot really, they're on the fabric before the knot.

Knotty
01-24-2011, 15:25
For the method I show, you can use almost any kind of string or cord inside the end channel. All it really does is bunch up the fabric to create that nub at the end. It's the fabric nub that takes the load, not the string inside.

Highbinder
01-24-2011, 16:58
For the method I show, you can use almost any kind of string or cord inside the end channel. All it really does is bunch up the fabric to create that nub at the end. It's the fabric nub that takes the load, not the string inside.

Awesome. I thought as much but just needed to double check on the cordage diametre - still getting used to 2mm being normal :lol:

Square knot the best one to tie off the whipping?

Knotty
01-24-2011, 17:58
Square knot is fine.

Roadrunnr72
01-24-2011, 22:07
Knotty-TY TY TY TY. Made one of these yesterday. I was going to use the "whipped end" method. After hemming the edges, I thought I would review how to, and decided to take a close look at this method. Works great. The only problems I had were the sides were too "floppy", and there was a lot of pressure under my legs (calf area). So today, I uninjected the roll, and cut the corners. I measured down the length of the hammock about 2". I measures across the hammock about 6" and cut the triangle off. Injected it back up, was a little bit of a pain around the "corner" of the triangle, but worked out. After tieing the gather again you couldn't I couldn't see anything different from the first time. Hung it real quick to test and it felt a lot better. No pressure on the legs and not so floppy. Will have to test better at a later time to make sure.

MrClean417
01-24-2011, 22:24
So you nipped the corners off making the outer edges of the hammock 2 inches shorter and ended the differential 6 inches in.

I originally had the channeled gather and saw the floppy sides. So I pulled the edges and whipped it, but I think I pulled closer to 4 inches, looked like 2 to me but wasn't. Now the edges were steel bands and I couldn't get out. I retied but this time I think I'm closer to 1 inch. The sides are a bit floppy but I can get out of it and it slept fine.

Sooner or later I'll get it perfect 'For Me' and then go on to tarp or bug net. Both have to be done and repeatable by June. I also need to build some model airplanes.

Knotty
01-24-2011, 23:56
Good info guys. No doubt the gathered end produces floppy sides. I added a "footbox" triangle to one side of mine. Been seeing some people having the same complaint about the Warbonnet Traveler. Not surprising since mine is essentially a clone of Brandon's fine product.

I've been looking for a new project so I think I'm going to try Roadrunnr72's idea.

samjaynes
01-25-2011, 16:14
Good info guys. No doubt the gathered end produces floppy sides. I added a "footbox" triangle to one side of mine. Been seeing some people having the same complaint about the Warbonnet Traveler. Not surprising since mine is essentially a clone of Brandon's fine product.

I've been looking for a new project so I think I'm going to try Roadrunnr72's idea.

As I am looking to build out one of these myself, is there a recommendation on the gather (middle out, W, etc) - Futhermore, and more notable on this topic - JustJeff in his illustrations shows pulling the corners out in the gather to tighten the sides. Anyone care to share pros or cons on this approach? If you use this approach, how much to you typical take out... 6", so a total of 12" on each long side.

Markunas
01-27-2011, 23:54
Great info Knotty...appreciate the video..just getting into hanging as I've always tent camped...I picked up a surplus G.I.jungle hammock but wanted to make one of my own and didn't have a clue...gonna look for material this weekend..Thanks again.

exup
01-30-2011, 21:59
Nice directions Knotty. I've been thinking about making a hammock for awhile now but have been having some confusion with sizing. First I wanted to make a nice good sized hammockjust for backyard hanging most likely to extend the life of my other hammocks. I'm only 5'8" so I can fit well in all hammocks I've tried, I'd like to go with a warbonnet blackbird/traveler size for lounging. I'm also interested in attempting to make a small hammock like the nano 7.

A lot of hammock makers dimensions are really confusing me. For example, the travelor is 120' x 60". Is that raw dimension before hemming, before gathered end, after, or what? Also with the nano 7 it says 9' x 4' and my hennessy expedition say 100" x 48", that's about the same size but from what I hear the nano 7 is much smaller.

Can anyone give me any insight as to how these companys post their hammock sizes. Also, how much alowance should I allow for gathering ends?

GvilleDave
02-01-2011, 09:47
As I am looking to build out one of these myself, is there a recommendation on the gather (middle out, W, etc) - Futhermore, and more notable on this topic - JustJeff in his illustrations shows pulling the corners out in the gather to tighten the sides. Anyone care to share pros or cons on this approach? If you use this approach, how much to you typical take out... 6", so a total of 12" on each long side.

Can you post a link to JustJeff's instructions you mention?

If I understand what you are asking I think you are referring to the whipping of a HH style hammock as opposed to a gathered end hammock like Knotty shows in this thread. When you make a gathered end hammock the channel in the end has a cord that is tightened and tied off. This forms a "ball" of the channel and cord. When you loop your suspension onto the hammock body with a larks head behind this gathered ball the gathered ball prevents the larks head from slipping off.

With that said, I have considered testing a few designs that would cut the end of the hammock material on a slight convex curve. The channel would also follow this curve and the result may tighten up the sides.

samjaynes
02-01-2011, 13:03
Can you post a link to JustJeff's instructions you mention?

Thanks for your response - Here is Jeff's link -2 - Gather and Whip the Ends (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html)

Polymath
02-22-2011, 01:32
With a hammock this size made from 1.10z ripstop, how small would it be able to compress for a stuff sack?

GvilleDave
02-22-2011, 08:01
Mine w/ whoopie sling suspension stuffs in a blackbishop sack the size of a Nalgene bottle.

MAD777
02-22-2011, 10:05
With that said, I have considered testing a few designs that would cut the end of the hammock material on a slight convex curve. The channel would also follow this curve and the result may tighten up the sides.

Dave I have been toying with this same idea. Although haven't made any hammocks yet, it sounds good to me. I bought enough material to make 3 hammocks. I am planning to make the curve on te end "off-centered" to give some asymetry to the hammock. I just don't kno how severe a curve to use. Basically, that's the sme question as "how much material do you pull out of the gather" in Just Jeff's hammock.

GvilleDave
02-22-2011, 11:35
Well keep in mind what ever amount you take out for the curves will be doubled at each end. I am thinking of starting with a 3" reduction at each end.

Another thought I have is because we lay on a diagonal in the hammock the loose edges are more prominent on my right shoulder and my left foot side (when laying in the hammock). So would it be better to cut the ends in a curve that starts out straight then curve in to take the length from the side that is loose at that end of the hammock? The centerline length of the hammock fabric would stay the same.

Here is a sketch of what I'm thinking:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/1/4/gathered_end_hammock_ideas_022211_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12801&c=4)

MAD777
02-22-2011, 12:05
Dave, your 3rd picture there is exactly what I had in mind! Of course this is all theory coming from me at this point. Maybe someone will chime in with their actual hammock adventures :)

Knotty
02-22-2011, 12:31
If you already made a gathered end with no side length reductions, pinch a section of the edge together until the sides are shortened to what you want and measure how much length the "pinch" removed. After that you just have to decide which reduction method you want to try.

dragon360
02-22-2011, 16:35
Knotty - not to sound like an idiot - but after you've gathered the ends, you're not rolling it into a ball but simply tying it down?

Seems that when I tried on my Grand Trunk, I couln't get the ball to stay so tight. Instead it kept trying to 'flower' (my best description) and I figured I may need to roll the material out before I could tie it down.

Knotty
02-23-2011, 00:17
Not sure I'm getting the question Dragon. Just run a string thru the end channel, scrunch the material to the middle, cross the strings wrapping around and pull. The end will gather up into a knob that can't unroll once the strings have been tied. Ultimately all the load is on the material, not the string.

dragon360
02-23-2011, 10:31
Appreciate it Knotty. I went back it again yesterday. Seems my difficulty came from the channels being nearly 2 inches which seemed to flower the knob (lots of loose material). But with a quick redo and some fiddling - back in business. Thanks for this Knotty. I have already changed out two grand trunks and have several DIY in the works. Excellently done!

Knotty
02-23-2011, 17:07
No problem. Especially for someone who quotes Augustine.

callook66
02-26-2011, 03:42
Thanks, Knotty! Just finished mine about 3 hours ago. With that WB whipping method, now I understand how my BB gives me such a wide, roomy, flat lay. I made this with the intent of it being my winter rig, but it's so wide and comfortable, my UQ won't stay under me! I might have to rethink my whipping on this rascal. Thanks a lot for the instructions!

AA1PR
02-28-2011, 18:05
Instead of using a whoopie sling I used 6mm climbing rope. I am not into UL or worried about that aspect. Even though the photo depicts my unfinished end & finished.
Link to my hammock project is here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=76969
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h392/flashphotoz/hamock_project_2011/DSC_1647.jpg
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h392/flashphotoz/hamock_project_2011/DSC_1652.jpg

Roadrunnr72
02-28-2011, 18:17
Instead of using a whoopie sling I used 6mm climbing rope. I am not into UL or worried about that aspect. Even though the photo depicts my unfinished end & finished.
Link to my hammock project is here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=76969
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h392/flashphotoz/hamock_project_2011/DSC_1647.jpg
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h392/flashphotoz/hamock_project_2011/DSC_1652.jpg

If I'm not mistaken- your hammock looks more like an ENO clone, with the hem sewed and a rope through that. The one described in this thread, uses a larkshead around the end. There is no pull on the sewed part. Yours should work, as long as you sewed the hem enough. I think the ENO uses 3 passes.

AA1PR
02-28-2011, 18:41
If I'm not mistaken- your hammock looks more like an ENO clone, with the hem sewed and a rope through that. The one described in this thread, uses a larkshead around the end. There is no pull on the sewed part. Yours should work, as long as you sewed the hem enough. I think the ENO uses 3 passes.

thanks I have at least 4 passes. I got the idea off my grand trunk single...the material is doubled over twice also. So the end rope passes through 4 layers. I tested it out tonight and it holds me at 240lbs.

Here is my litlle guy in it at 5'8" & 185lbs
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h392/flashphotoz/hamock_project_2011/DSC_1669.jpg

ChrisH
02-28-2011, 18:52
I thought I read somewhere here that climbing rope is meant to stretch which makes it bad for hammock suspensions. You may end up on the ground by morning! Have you slept overnight in it yet with that suspension?

Roadrunnr72
02-28-2011, 18:57
I thought I read somewhere here that climbing rope is meant to stretch which makes it bad for hammock suspensions. You may end up on the ground by morning! Have you slept overnight in it yet with that suspension?

I think I heard the same. I wasn't thinking about him using the climbing rope for suspension, just in the end of the hammock. That short of a rope I wouldn't be worried about stretch. But if the rest of the suspension is climbing, then may have a problem.

GvilleDave
03-01-2011, 09:43

The WB / gathered end method that Knotty shows in this thread attaches the suspension via a larks head around the fabric body and the sewed channel just creates a knot of fabric and cord that keeps the larks head from sliding off. The method you use here puts all the stress on the sewed channel... It will work if you sewed it well enough but I don't see a reward you get for the added risk. You could attach the same carabiner ( attach carabiner with a second larks head as well to elliminate your knot) to a loop of rope and larks head that around the gathered end and accomplish the same suspension result and have less risk of catastrophic failure (ie: butt meets hard ground when least expected). YMMV - just my opinion...

AA1PR
03-01-2011, 17:00
The WB / gathered end method that Knotty shows in this thread attaches the suspension via a larks head around the fabric body and the sewed channel just creates a knot of fabric and cord that keeps the larks head from sliding off. The method you use here puts all the stress on the sewed channel... It will work if you sewed it well enough but I don't see a reward you get for the added risk. You could attach the same carabiner ( attach carabiner with a second larks head as well to elliminate your knot) to a loop of rope and larks head that around the gathered end and accomplish the same suspension result and have less risk of catastrophic failure (ie: butt meets hard ground when least expected). YMMV - just my opinion...

I have seen that method and thought it looked very strange, in the sense that one would trust their knot binding against the fabric. I would think that would weaken the material and cause failure eventually. I felt by havign four layers of material under the end there would be more structural strength to the fabric than a single layer. Check out my project link as I probably used more stitchs than was needed...
There is however more than one way of doing things. It has supported almost 300lbs so far and no issues for an hour of my testing. I took a nice long nap in it with some extra gear thrown in for good measure. If it was going to fail I wanted it to happen.

DiscoveryDiver
03-01-2011, 17:49
I have seen that method and thought it looked very strange, in the sense that one would trust their knot binding against the fabric. I would think that would weaken the material and cause failure eventually. I felt by havign four layers of material under the end there would be more structural strength to the fabric than a single layer. Check out my project link as I probably used more stitchs than was needed...
There is however more than one way of doing things. It has supported almost 300lbs so far and no issues for an hour of my testing. I took a nice long nap in it with some extra gear thrown in for good measure. If it was going to fail I wanted it to happen.
...however, this is the whipping method that Eno uses...on my hammocks anyway...

GvilleDave
03-01-2011, 17:51
I agree - absolutely more than one way to skin a cat... This site is based on that principle and the sharing of ideas. I was not trying to say you're wrong just that I saw more risk w/ no added benefit. Enjoy the new hammock & keep us posted.

AA1PR
03-01-2011, 19:42
I agree - absolutely more than one way to skin a cat... This site is based on that principle and the sharing of ideas. I was not trying to say you're wrong just that I saw more risk w/ no added benefit. Enjoy the new hammock & keep us posted.

I concur and thought that it was quick, simlpe & down and dirty :)

On another note I am thinking about adding a layer of primaloft to my HH SS.

Roadrunnr72
03-02-2011, 21:35
AA1PR- you should have started a new thread with your hammock pics and link, as to the fact that this thread is for the gathered end hammock and not the ENO style. I think that the post should be about the gathered end that Knotty showed and the success and failures of said hammocks. My .02

TMJess
03-03-2011, 08:58
First and foremost, Thank you Knotty for the video (I hope it will prove to be most useful). I was looking a few pages back and expanding on what GvilleDave illustrated “opt 3” … I would like to do a similar design with a “double hung” pad holder???

Questions come to mind: 1) am I way off? 2) should the 6’ swatch go inside or underneath? (real noob question, but I could see benefits to both so figured I would ask) 3) should the swatch go end to end or is it ok to hang out in the middle?

- TMJess

Jazilla
03-03-2011, 10:04
TMJess, I was thinking about the same idea. You use 1/3 to half the fabric of a double layer with all the benefits. Just wonder if the pad will stay put.

TMJess
03-03-2011, 14:32
my thought on keeping the pad in place: If the extra swatch of lightweight fabric/nylon was on top (non structural) a simple snap/button could be fixed to it and the pad out of the way near the top and bottom ... or a simple lightweight stretching strap sewn to both the top and bottom in the middle of the swatch to hold from sliding around left to right so to speak. I am such a novice that this is all very conceptual and subject to change

Fronkey
03-04-2011, 21:40
Question: I am going to attempt this project tomorrow and I was curious about one thing. From the video I understand I all the sewing that needs to be done. However, am I just basically making a rectangle or is there a shape I need to cut out of the fabric? Thanks a lot.

Fronkey

Knotty
03-05-2011, 00:05
Just a rectangle. The end result will be a comfortable hammock. The downside is the sides are floppy and quilts and such tend to fall out. Will post sometime soon about a method to overcome that issue using an idea from WV.

Fronkey
03-05-2011, 00:30
Just a rectangle. The end result will be a comfortable hammock. The downside is the sides are floppy and quilts and such tend to fall out. Will post sometime soon about a method to overcome that issue using an idea from WV.

Awesome! Thanks for the info as I will be making this puppy tomorrow.

Fronkey

Fronkey
03-05-2011, 20:48
Flat lay, easy project and one comfy Fronkey. Thank you so much for putting up that vid. I owe you man.

Fronkey

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1006&pictureid=7291

Knotty
03-06-2011, 01:27
You looking happy in your hammock is payment in full. Glad to help.

AA1PR
03-06-2011, 12:11
AA1PR- you should have started a new thread with your hammock pics and link, as to the fact that this thread is for the gathered end hammock and not the ENO style. I think that the post should be about the gathered end that Knotty showed and the success and failures of said hammocks. My .02

So Sorry as I am new here, my mistake.

Knotty
03-07-2011, 00:22

Here it is: Stretch-Side Hammock Mod
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=422185#post422185

GvilleDave
03-08-2011, 09:52
First and foremost, Thank you Knotty for the video (I hope it will prove to be most useful). I was looking a few pages back and expanding on what GvilleDave illustrated “opt 3” … I would like to do a similar design with a “double hung” pad holder???

Questions come to mind: 1) am I way off? 2) should the 6’ swatch go inside or underneath? (real noob question, but I could see benefits to both so figured I would ask) 3) should the swatch go end to end or is it ok to hang out in the middle?

- TMJess

Wow thanks for showing me what a real illustration should look like... I better take my crayolas and head to the house!

I like your idea but have a couple questions:

1. would you sew the seam across the width at the top and bottom end of the second layer? I question if you sew this seam would that create a stress point right where your load is the heaviest...

2. if you do nopt sew the top & bottom edges across the width the will the ends of the second layer tend to slide and sag toward into the hammock?

The strength of the gathered end hammock is that the forces applied to the fabric are spread across the width of the fabric. I speculate that by not securing the ends of the second layer the forces will be transferred to the seams where the two layers are hemmed together along the edges creating stress points. Pure speculation on my part...

Some of that may be eliminated by placing the partial 2nd layer on the outside under the hammock.

TMJess
03-09-2011, 11:19
Wow thanks for showing me what a real illustration should look like... I better take my crayolas and head to the house!

I like your idea but have a couple questions:

1. would you sew the seam across the width at the top and bottom end of the second layer? I question if you sew this seam would that create a stress point right where your load is the heaviest...

2. if you do nopt sew the top & bottom edges across the width the will the ends of the second layer tend to slide and sag toward into the hammock?

The strength of the gathered end hammock is that the forces applied to the fabric are spread across the width of the fabric. I speculate that by not securing the ends of the second layer the forces will be transferred to the seams where the two layers are hemmed together along the edges creating stress points. Pure speculation on my part...

Some of that may be eliminated by placing the partial 2nd layer on the outside under the hammock.

interesting point (I am mid go on my first hammock) I think you would be correct so maybe I can sew two smaller tubes made of a stretchy type fabric, and then slide the pad in this would hold it close to where I wanted... I think! I will update my drawing for a better idea of what I am thinking based on your comments.

I would need to play with the angle of the strap but i would think off center a tad would help keep it in the right direction... Thoughts?

GoBucks
03-11-2011, 23:21
Hey folks,

Relative newbie here looking to make my first DIY gathered end hammock. I'm looking for some guidance on what a "footbox" triangle is? I've seen numerous references to such a thing in the DIY forums and specifically in this gathered end instructional.

Unfortunately, I still don't understand what it is or how to incorporate it into the design of the hammock? I suspect it has something to do with including a concave shape at the ends of the hammock but don't know for sure.

Can someone (Knotty?) please elaborate on the "footbox" triangle?

Thank you!

Knotty
03-12-2011, 00:59
Imagine a triangle (right isosceles triangle to be exact) sewn into one side of your hammocks about where your feet lay. You sew the two legs of the triangle to the hammock side edge, effectively making the hypotenuse the new edge. Since the sum of the two legs is greater than the hypotenuse, you've shortened the side of the hammock making it less floppy. Sounds complicated but it's actually very simple once you see it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/footbox.png

Captn
03-12-2011, 04:21
If it is a two layer hammock do you sew a triangle in both layers?

Do you sew it into the non entry side to reduce the effect of stress on the edge when you climb in and out?

Knotty
03-12-2011, 10:14
It's sewed into the non-entry side. Sitting on the side w the triangle produces a lot of stress.

I haven't done one on a double layer hammock but you would need to sew it to both layers.

GoBucks
03-12-2011, 11:24
Thanks Knotty. I appreciate the Illustration, it really helps. So if I understand correctly, I can completely assemble the rectangular, gathered end hammock as you describe in your video and THEN add the footbox triangle afterwards?

Also, as I understand your drawing, are the A + B sides equal in length?

Finally, what's a good size triangle to with? Something like this.....
A = 9"
B= 9"
C = 12.75"

Knotty
03-13-2011, 23:03
Yes yes

Yes

I think A and B were about 12" on mine. I do remember that once sewn in the triangle got much smaller than I expected because I underestimated the seam allowances.

GoBucks
03-14-2011, 00:05
Thanks Knotty. I think I'm going tackle my first DIY gathered-end hammock next weekend.

Now if I can just figure out a way to incorporate the footbox triangle (for added foot room and to help keep the top quilt from falling out) AND your stretch-side hammock mod (to reduce stress on the outside edge).

Hmmmmm.....I'll see what I can come up with.

Perhaps it will evolve into the "Knotty gathered-end, footbox triangle, stretch-side hammock extraordinaire"

Thanks again for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

catalyst
03-18-2011, 02:20
Great instructions. I'll be ordering materials soon to give this a shot. I'm brand new to sewing so some quick (very basic) questions. I'm planning on practicing on some stuff sacks prior to starting the hammock.

What is the width of the rolled hem and how many times did you roll it?

From the pictures it looks like the end channels aren't rolled at all. Is that correct? Are they the same width as the side hem?

Thanks so much.

Knotty
03-18-2011, 14:30
catalyst81 - The diagram below shows how a rolled hem is constructed. Some fold and pin. I usually just do it on the fly. For the gathered end hammock the hem isn't too critical and I usually make mine pretty wide because that's easier. Also a wider hem makes it easier to do the Stretch-Side mod. I used the same rolled hem on the sides and ends.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/rolled_hem.jpg

mountain_man_mike
03-18-2011, 18:15
+1 to that Knotty... great instructions!

I am torn between making another gathered end or attempt an Inspector Gadget bridge type thing.

A belated Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ35SOU9HTM

Knotty
03-18-2011, 21:22
Mix it up 3M. Give the bridge a try.

Syb
03-27-2011, 10:32
I made this hammock this morning starting with a raw 11' by 60" piece of 1.9 ripstop. I like the way it turned out (thanks Knotty) but the sides seem to flap a decent amount and feels as if I'm about to slide out of the thing. Short of trying Knotty's technique of adding shock cord to cinch up the sides, has anyone experienced this with this hammock? I went step by step from the instructions but it just seems to be "loose". I may try a different whipping method but wanted to see how close to Knotty's design I could get. Great instructions Knotty.

samjaynes
03-27-2011, 11:57
I made this hammock this morning starting with a raw 11' by 60" piece of 1.9 ripstop. I like the way it turned out (thanks Knotty) but the sides seem to flap a decent amount and feels as if I'm about to slide out of the thing. Short of trying Knotty's technique of adding shock cord to cinch up the sides, has anyone experienced this with this hammock? I went step by step from the instructions but it just seems to be "loose". I may try a different whipping method but wanted to see how close to Knotty's design I could get. Great instructions Knotty.

Syb - I made one with with Joanne's fabric 1.9, and yes it will be floppy. Knotty's idea is great, yet I have not tried it yet. Depending on the angle you lay in it, the next step would be taking the HH Asym DIY instructions for a gather, but when you pull the corners to the middle, pull them out a little farther. Then, before you pull tighten down the gather with pliers (if you are using a bite) pull out the corners a little more to have tight sides. JustJeff explains this a little in his site. http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html

Knotty
03-27-2011, 12:24
Syb - You're not likely to slide out but your top quilt or sleeping bag might. Try the stretch-side mod. It's easy. You'll like it.

Syb
03-27-2011, 12:30
Syb - I made one with with Joanne's fabric 1.9, and yes it will be floppy. Knotty's idea is great, yet I have not tried it yet. Depending on the angle you lay in it, the next step would be taking the HH Asym DIY instructions for a gather, but when you pull the corners to the middle, pull them out a little farther. Then, before you pull tighten down the gather with pliers (if you are using a bite) pull out the corners a little more to have tight sides. JustJeff explains this a little in his site. http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html
Thanks samjaynes, that's how my other hammock is made. I wanted to see if I could accomplish that same result with this new (to me) whipping. Just Jeff has some great instructions!

Syb - You're not likely to slide out but your top quilt or sleeping bag might. Try the stretch-side mod. It's easy. You'll like it.
From the man himself :D
Okay, time to see if I have gross grain, shock cord and a cord lock lying around. I used a 7/8" roll hem foot (or whatever that attachment that creates the channel is called) so I allowed for room for just this very mod. Thanks again Sir Knotty.

JohnSawyer
03-27-2011, 12:58
Okay, time to see if I have gross grain, shock cord and a cord lock lying around. I used a 7/8" roll hem foot (or whatever that attachment that creates the channel is called) so I allowed for room for just this very mod. Thanks again Sir Knotty.

Cord lock not needed. Since you'll likely adjust and leave it... It shouldn't take much grosgrain to make that.

I WAS going to sew a footbox triangle in my hammock, but I think I'll give this a try!

Knotty
03-27-2011, 15:16
Right on JohnSawyer. You can just tie off both ends of the bungee to the grosgrain loops and save a few grams by eliminating the cord locks and the extra inches of bungee.

Syb
03-27-2011, 15:38
Cord lock not needed. Since you'll likely adjust and leave it... It shouldn't take much grosgrain to make that.
Ha! Of course I finished the Knotty-mod after I read this! :lol:
I'll do my best to describe and post pics later.
I measured down to where my feet normally lay and put 2 marks on the side hem with tailor's chalk. I used the burn hole in one end. That end is where the (unnecessary) cord lock is. The type of cord lock I have has slots where you can run a piece of gross grain through which I did. The piece of gg wound up being about 1/4" wide. I threaded it through the slot in the cord lock and then sewed it with longitudinal stitches. For the other end, I just stitched the hem on top of the shock cord several times. This eliminated the need for a second piece of gross grain. Knotty was/is right. I do love it. :boggle:
One more thing I did was to cinch up the head-end side about 5" or 6". I did this by undoing the whipping method Knotty describes and then pull up the side hem and re-whipping.

Syb
03-27-2011, 19:12
I hope these pics go with the description above.
First is a wider shot of the stretch side.

Next is a close up of the the 1/4" gross grain with the longitudinal stitch. The stitch is about 1.5" long. You can also see the cord lock with the gross grain running through it.

Finally, the shock cord is buried in the channel and stitched directly to the hemmed edge.

I will probably add another "stretch-side" to the opposite side as I rarely lay in the same exact position. I also think I could go rogue and use these as tie-out points a la HH or WBBB.

Knotty
03-27-2011, 20:36
Way to go Syb!

(knew you'd like it ;))

kgbenson
05-01-2011, 09:32
I'm a tall guys, so I like long hammocks but not everyone needs them.

Is there a Rule of Thumb on the length of hammock vs the length of the hammocker?

I was contemplating making a small hammock (despite what I posted the other day - and only because she asked so cute) in fancy colors (her request) for my daughter who is 4.

Keith

Knotty
05-01-2011, 22:45
Speer had a rule of thumb but I can't remember it. I'd just make it 4' longer than the kid.

GvilleDave
05-05-2011, 23:32
I would make it sized even larger - because from my personal experiance your 4 yr old will be 12 in like no time flat....

timabababaluka
05-09-2011, 15:08
I would make it sized even larger - because from my personal experiance your 4 yr old will be 12 in like no time flat....

Too true! My oldest daughter (who I'll swear in a court of law was learning how to walk yesterday) turns twelve this year. I like it not, sir! :scared:

Can't wait to try the shock-mod on the gathered end. I've played with the whipping in the past and found the sides to be either too tight or too floppy. I figured I would just have to deal with floppy, and then came the miracle--middle ground.

Knotty saves the day (yet again). :D

Knotty
05-09-2011, 16:14
tima...., on my latest gathered end I sewed button holes where the stretch side bungies go through the material. Tied a knot in the bungie at each end to prevent it from getting pulled through. No adjustability but don't really need it.

Do take note that the stretch side mod doesn't eliminate floppiness at the head end but for me that's fine.

Syb
05-10-2011, 13:32
I've thought of running a longer shock cord on each side and then combining this with hangnout's No Zipper Attached Bugnet (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=419923&postcount=1). This weekend, I have some textiles to impale. I mean, thread to inject.

timabababaluka
05-10-2011, 15:32
Do take note that the stretch side mod doesn't eliminate floppiness at the head end but for me that's fine.

Perfect. The head end, for me, tends to stay put. It's my feet that want to keep sneaking out. I also like the idea of button holes rather than adding loops--simplify, simplify, simplify!

@Syb--I'm VERY interested to know how well the shock-mod integrates with the NZA Bugnet. Let us know how this weekend goes :D.

Syb
05-10-2011, 15:35
@Syb--I'm VERY interested to know how well the shock-mod integrates with the NZA Bugnet. Let us know how this weekend goes :D.
It's only Tuesday and I'm not traveling this week so perhaps sooner. :D

Country Roads
05-15-2011, 15:26
Thanks for posting this video. I decided to try this out with my GT Ultralight. By golly it worked! I think it improved the hang considerably. I like the GT UL. It is my experimental hammock and it is a good yard napping hammock.

hppyfngy
05-17-2011, 15:33
Is there a Rule of Thumb on the length of hammock vs the length of the hammocker?

I was contemplating making a small hammock (despite what I posted the other day - and only because she asked so cute) in fancy colors (her request) for my daughter who is 4.

Keith

I read it's you height, (or the kid's,) plus 2' plus 24" for knots plus 3" for hem. But if it's for a kid, I'd sure make it bigger than that if you want her to use it more than one season. Big hammock is much better than one that's too small...

That and her friend is going to want to get in there with her. Make it roomy :)

Farwalker
05-26-2011, 10:08
Add me to the list of those inspired by this post. Used ten feet of ripstop with a structural ridgeline about eight feet long, got a hammock that reasonably-fits my six-foot, four-inch self. Now I just need to work out the bugnetting.

Thanks for the instructions, Knotty! (I reserve the right to blame you, later, for getting me into this hobby :D)

Knotty
05-26-2011, 10:26
Let the blame game begin. :D

Jazilla
05-26-2011, 10:39
I reserve the right to blame you, later, for getting me into this hobby

Don't blame poor Knotty, he is in the same addicted boat your now riding in. Welcome to the group.

Hi, my name is Jazilla and its been 2 days since I DIYed (waiting on bugnet to arrive)

mcvincnt
05-27-2011, 12:52
So I made my first gathered end and have tried whipping it several times to eliminate the floppy sides. Then I read some more of this post and saw the shockcord side idea. I plan to do that on my current one rather than redo the ends again. Someone may have posted on this and I missed it but I am wondering if anyone has tried cutting/hemming the end channels in a curve then whip it straight across? The idea would be to have more fabric length in the middle than the edges. If anyone has tried it how much of difference from the edge to the center have they tried?

A pic of my current DIY hammock is attached. Fabric is nylon from JoAnn's. It is single layer and not ripstop. The whipping is gutted 330 paracord, I made the woopie slings with 1/8 Amsteel, and the ASR is 7/64 Amsteel I got from a PIF.

DiscoveryDiver
05-27-2011, 19:14
So I made my first gathered end and have tried whipping it several times to eliminate the floppy sides. Then I read some more of this post and saw the shockcord side idea. I plan to do that on my current one rather than redo the ends again. Someone may have posted on this and I missed it but I am wondering if anyone has tried cutting/hemming the end channels in a curve then whip it straight across? The idea would be to have more fabric length in the middle than the edges. If anyone has tried it how much of difference from the edge to the center have they tried?

A pic of my current DIY hammock is attached. Fabric is nylon from JoAnn's. It is single layer and not ripstop. The whipping is gutted 330 paracord, I made the woopie slings with 1/8 Amsteel, and the ASR is 7/64 Amsteel I got from a PIF.
That's some pretty nifty camo fabric:thumbup1:

Roadrunnr72
05-27-2011, 19:56
So Someone may have posted on this and I missed it but I am wondering if anyone has tried cutting/hemming the end channels in a curve then whip it straight across? The idea would be to have more fabric length in the middle than the edges. If anyone has tried it how much of difference from the edge to the center have they tried?

Yes, I did, and posted (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=396028&postcount=139) on here. (I was just reading my post- please excuse the grammar/spelling, I must have been having one of "those" days). I went about 6" in from the sides and 2" down the length. Hemmed it, (which was not the prettiest) ran my line through the channel and pull it tight. Looks good now, you can't even see my hem:lol:.
I have both an ENO SN and DN, and like my DIY 1.9 ripstop gathered end the best. I have another made the same, but with 1.5 ripstop, and it feels like it has too much shoulder squeeze.

mcvincnt
05-27-2011, 22:20
Knotty-TY TY TY TY. Made one of these yesterday. I was going to use the "whipped end" method. After hemming the edges, I thought I would review how to, and decided to take a close look at this method. Works great. The only problems I had were the sides were too "floppy", and there was a lot of pressure under my legs (calf area). So today, I uninjected the roll, and cut the corners. I measured down the length of the hammock about 2". I measures across the hammock about 6" and cut the triangle off. Injected it back up, was a little bit of a pain around the "corner" of the triangle, but worked out. After tieing the gather again you couldn't I couldn't see anything different from the first time. Hung it real quick to test and it felt a lot better. No pressure on the legs and not so floppy. Will have to test better at a later time to make sure.

Roadrunnr72,
I see, so you have about 48" in the center that is straight and the 6" on each side are tapered/angled. I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking from each side to the center but I see what you are saying about the pressure and shoulder squishing. I think I will give your method a try. Thanks.

mcvincnt
05-27-2011, 22:28
That's some pretty nifty camo fabric:thumbup1:

Thanks DD. Red tag and half price at JoAnns. They only had about 3.5 yards so it seemed destined to be a hammock project.

DiscoveryDiver
05-28-2011, 00:02
Thanks DD. Red tag and half price at JoAnns. They only had about 3.5 yards so it seemed destined to be a hammock project.
I envy you guys will all that access to cool camo and reasonable prices in-store...

Catavarie
05-29-2011, 22:06
So I know that all us outdoors types love shockcord and all the wonderful projects we can do with it. But wouldn't it be easier to use a length of elastic band sewn directly in the hem to take up the slack and look a bit cleaner?

Knotty
05-29-2011, 22:10
So I know that all us outdoors types love shockcord and all the wonderful projects we can do with it. But wouldn't it be easier to use a length of elastic band sewn directly in the hem to take up the slack and look a bit cleaner?

I think that could work fine. May even be easier to install. Only downside I see is that it would be harder to replace as the elastic breaks down with age.

SpaceCadet
06-02-2011, 11:32
I just want to thank Knotty for these wonderful instructions. I made two via your directions for my roommates. They are more comfortable than my ENO DN. Gonna have to order more fabric cause I want one for myself now.

Knotty
06-03-2011, 22:43
Glad you found the info helpful SpaceCadet. Once you make one, and discover how easy it is and how comfy they are, you just can't help but make more.

mountain_man_mike
06-06-2011, 18:29
Knotty's instructions are always clear, precise and spot on. Thanks a bunch Knotty!

Does it work to thread the fixed loop of the whoppie sling through the channel and cince it instead of whipping it then wrapping the larksheaded whoopie sling behing the whipping?

Knotty
06-06-2011, 22:27
Thanks MMM. I prefer to have the whoopie larks headed behind the cinch because it doesn't rely on the strength of the stitching that way. If you do want to run the suspension through the sewn channel you'll want to reinforce it with multiple rows of stitching.

Jazilla
06-07-2011, 07:28

You could but once that elastic is wore out it done. The shock cord can be untied and a new piece added.

johnlvs2run
06-07-2011, 13:54
Well keep in mind what ever amount you take out for the curves will be doubled at each end.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/6/1/4/gathered_end_hammock_ideas_022211_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12801&c=4)

I noticed the ends of your center diagram form a perfect circle from the center of the fabric.

Based on this relationship, the longer the hammock the flatter the curve.

Rosomaha
06-16-2011, 07:08
Hallo! I would be glad, to help somebody with my videos about gathering the hammock end.
Here it is my channell
http://www.youtube.com/user/rosomahastern?feature=mhee
Thank`s a lot for members, about much information what i had found on that forum...

Aardvark
06-20-2011, 11:17

McV, Check out my pics in my gallery, I actually shortened centerline and edges by channelling on a set of 2 curves, then gathered thru the channels. Only pulled back about 1.5", got a pretty flat and wonderfully comfortable lay.... still did the shock cord adjustors so I could tweak based on what I had in the 'mock with me, but I plan on duplicating for my son's hammock. I might talk myself into pulling back on asym corners however, to force the diagonal lay....

MAD777
06-20-2011, 18:53
McV, Check out my pics in my gallery, I actually shortened centerline and edges by channelling on a set of 2 curves, then gathered thru the channels. Only pulled back about 1.5", got a pretty flat and wonderfully comfortable lay.... still did the shock cord adjustors so I could tweak based on what I had in the 'mock with me, but I plan on duplicating for my son's hammock. I might talk myself into pulling back on asym corners however, to force the diagonal lay....

What pattern of curve did you follow and was it concave or convex (shorter in the middle or shorter at the edges of the hammock)?

Aardvark
06-21-2011, 16:47
At each end and at the centerline, chalked a point 1.5 inches from the end... then used a flexible curve (you can use a piece of garden hose also) to set the curve lines. Rolled and edge, then sewed in the channel. When gathering thru the channel, naturally pulls ends and centerline in tighter along the length of the hammock.

MAD777
06-22-2011, 06:05
At each end and at the centerline, chalked a point 1.5 inches from the end... then used a flexible curve (you can use a piece of garden hose also) to set the curve lines. Rolled and edge, then sewed in the channel. When gathering thru the channel, naturally pulls ends and centerline in tighter along the length of the hammock.

It's early in the morning when I'm reading this and not enough coffee in the system yet ... so let me make sure I have this right.

Your hammock ended up 3" shorter (lengthwise) along the centerline of the hammock, than along the edges?

Thanks for your help!

Knotty
06-22-2011, 11:21
I read it as 3" shorter at each edge AND the centerline. The edge part I get but maybe you can explain why you did the centerline part? A tight centerline which pushes against your calves is a problem in many hammocks even w/o a centerline shortening.

Aardvark
06-22-2011, 16:35
I kinda followed JustJeff's "W" Whipping direction, when I trialed the outer edge pull thru only, I did get the knee pain and couldn't sit well on my side. I tried the "W" whipping, where centerline is pulled same as outer edges, and it created a pocket on each side of hammock, one for head side, one for legs. I did back off the foot end gather W down in the center to about 1", and still gave me a "pocket". Definately try a free-style whipping for this before you channel, I did have to tweak the original to get it ther before the thread injector started to spitting. Below is a link where I got the idea from:
http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html

Knotty
06-22-2011, 20:37
Increasing the center line tension seems counterproductive but it works for you and Just Jeff and I'm sure others who've followed his instructions, so who am I to argue? :)

Wrathe
06-28-2011, 09:20
Nice set of simple instructions. I am looking at my own DIY hammock (first hammock as a matter of fact) and have found several good sets of info- but I like this one. Nice and simple, and If I add a bugnet and tarp of my own to it, I should be good to go. Thanks again for the excellent slideshow instructions!

Knotty
06-28-2011, 19:22
Nice set of simple instructions. I am looking at my own DIY hammock (first hammock as a matter of fact) and have found several good sets of info- but I like this one. Nice and simple, and If I add a bugnet and tarp of my own to it, I should be good to go. Thanks again for the excellent slideshow instructions!

Glad to help. Be sure to post some pics when done.

Wrathe
06-29-2011, 13:37
Knotty- Do you think it would be a workable thing to use a long nylon strap in place of the ridgeline rope? I would like to utilize straps for all of it except the 'whip/knot/gather'
The main reason simply being that I am on an extrememly limited budget and I have a large number of nylon straps in my 'old gear' pile in the basement- several of which are 15-20' +. Thoughts?

Knotty
06-30-2011, 01:02
You can do it but the problem with nylon straps and rope is that they tend to stretch, especially when wet.

mcvincnt
06-30-2011, 07:40
Finally got a chance to hang my DIY hammock. My intent with this was to try out some ideas to see what worked and what i liked before moving on to more expensive materials. I have ripped it out and re-stitched it three times now trying different things and getting better at sewing. It is now a double layer gathered end design with about 1.5 yds of fleece insulation attach to the outer layer at the center. I also made a tube bug net out of tulle for it. I made the edges shorter than the center as discussed higher in this thread. At each edge end I took out 3" of edge length over 10" of end length. Lays very flat but still noticeably tighter in the center than the edges. I may try a curve across the entire end next time instead of just tapering the edges at each end. The bug net is a simple tube with one side stitched up all but about 2" to get the end through. The other end is channeled with a draw cord. The ASR and Woopies are DIY as well. The ASR was a PIF and I made the Woopies from 1/8 Amsteel. Let me know what you think.

I think I have almost totally converted my friend in the pics to hammocks.

ChrisH
06-30-2011, 14:39
Wrathe, I'd be willing to send you 12' feet of 7/64" amsteel for your ridgeline, if you want. Just pm your address and I'll put it in the mail.:D

PropellerHead
07-21-2011, 00:36
Maybe you guys can help me out.

I've put together a double layer hammock of what I think is 1.9oz ripstop. There has been no sewing at this point as I don't have a thread injector. I've been trying the whipping method and am a little baffled.

I first tried the "W" method but found the center ridge to be too much. Then I re-whipped it with just a simple gathered end and found that there was still a significant amount of center tension. A lot more than I expected!

All this after I returned an ENO DN. I'm sure there is a way to get this right, I just haven't found it yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Knotty
07-21-2011, 15:16
I've not found a hammock (other than bridge style) that doesn't have the center tension. One thing that makes it less of a problem is to make your hammock big. Length is your friend, except when it comes to finding a tarp that fits.

MrItchyElbow
07-23-2011, 14:21
Okay, I'm the ultra hammock noob. I just joined the Hammock Forum and don't know quite the best place to ask this question. Saw this site and thought it would probably do. Is there a rule about how long your hammock should be in relation to your height?:confused:

Knotty
07-23-2011, 23:08
Okay, I'm the ultra hammock noob. I just joined the Hammock Forum and don't know quite the best place to ask this question. Saw this site and thought it would probably do. Is there a rule about how long your hammock should be in relation to your height?:confused:

Not sure but I believe the last one I made had a raw material length of 10'6" and I'm 6'2".

MAD777
07-24-2011, 00:00
I first tried the "W" method but found the center ridge to be too much. Then I re-whipped it with just a simple gathered end and found that there was still a significant amount of center tension. A lot more than I expected!

You could cut the ends on a slight curve such that the centerline length is a couple of inches longer than the edge length.

I'm still feeling my way along when it comes to hammock making, but I did make one with the opposite of what I said above, but more exaggerated, and it felt like sleeping on a log. The hammock was barely stable.

hailea
07-25-2011, 20:08
I have my nylon, Amsteel on order, my mother in laws sewing machine... I'm all ready to sew but want to verify that there isn't a specific thread type/weight I should be using... anyone?

Adam

Arok
07-25-2011, 22:04
I've made seven hammocks, since joining the forum. I do height plus 4 feet, that worked well for me so far.

MAD777
07-26-2011, 06:49
I have my nylon, Amsteel on order, my mother in laws sewing machine... I'm all ready to sew but want to verify that there isn't a specific thread type/weight I should be using... anyone?

Adam

Most folks use Gutterman Sew All. It's available at JoAnns.
But most importantly, whatever you use, make sure it is 100% polyester. Any other thread will rot in the outdoor environment!

jima59
07-30-2011, 18:05
Well with the low cost of 1.9 ripstop I'm giving it a try the next week or so. figure being 6ft. I'll start with 11'4" raw material and use Knotty's example. If the sides are too floppy I'll just get some more and try the other way with the cut back ends and keep tweaking till I get it. Thanks for the info and responses to this thread.