PDA

View Full Version : EGL 2019 Spring-Summer-Autumn Season

Chard
03-04-2019, 20:43
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_3893.jpg

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a tentative (hammockative?) schedule for 2019. As always, there's an open invite to anyone wanting to attend.

Spring: Depending on ice out, first (new moon) or second weekend (waxing moon) of May - Chicamoula. Why? Trout and the safety of paddling flat, albeit frigid water.

Summer: Late July/early August - French River. Summer water temps for any swift water areas, reduced bugs.

Summer: Sometime - Nogonash Lake. Backcountry bushwack to an allegedly great bass/pike lake.

Early Fall: End of September - Killarney. If you've never paddled Killarney, you really should. A simple trip to OSA or Norway lake with maybe a day hike up to Silver peak.

Late Fall: Mid-October - Algonquin in time for the colours because, well, you know..... Easy paddle in.

I'll be posting a new thread for each outing.

See you out there!

Hoolio
03-04-2019, 23:56
This is the year we (or at least I) do Killarney. Would also really enjoy a trip back to Noganosh. I will look forward to the updates.

ggreaves
03-07-2019, 16:14
April 26th is the 5 month booking window for the end of september. I will try to book 2 sites (for 3 nights) on OSA lake on that day (thurs-sun).

LuvmyBonnet
03-07-2019, 17:36
My wish list is French River, Killarney, Algonquin. I've still got plenty of question marks so at this point I will be happy to paddle any of those. I'd love to do all five but I definitely know I'm not ready for Chicamoula. Besides I'm already the current EGL title holder at McIntosh Lake for trout. Will I be dethroned?!?

Chard
03-07-2019, 21:10
Will I be dethroned?!?

Whippersnapper

76 highboy
03-07-2019, 22:59
April 26th is the 5 month booking window for the end of september. I will try to book 2 sites (for 3 nights) on OSA lake on that day (thurs-sun).

Oooh I would be in for OSA at the end of september. ,or the french,either or.
Still hummin and hawin on mcintosh. Working on beefing up my spine currently.

KeeWayKeno
03-08-2019, 10:40
Only one I'm likely to miss is Killarney. Everything else sound terrific to me, glad somebody else is doing the heavy lifting of planning ahead. Promises to be another great hanging season. Thanks Chard!

Chard
03-08-2019, 18:48

That's a great idea. That park fills up so fast!
Thanks

keg
03-13-2019, 23:44
Don't know how I'll feel at the time but on the spring trip I'm considering going through potter's Creek on the way out. More portaging but I haven't been through there or Brule and I love winding creeks.

underserviced
03-19-2019, 09:19
Assuming dates are clear I hope to participate with these 3 (at least). I'll be happy if I can coordinate on at least 1 - 2!

Summer: Late July/early August - French River. Summer water temps for any swift water areas, reduced bugs.
Early Fall: End of September - Killarney. If you've never paddled Killarney, you really should. A simple trip to OSA or Norway lake with maybe a day hike up to Silver peak.
Late Fall: Mid-October - Algonquin in time for the colours because, well, you know..... Easy paddle in.

I'm trying to log in so that I don't miss the group stuff... Sorry to have missed last weekend at Valens.

LuvmyBonnet
03-19-2019, 18:56
I'm trying to log in so that I don't miss the group stuff... Sorry to have missed last weekend at Valens.
Missed ya Buddy... Hope we can paddle together 2019. I'd like to hear about your progress on the canoe.

Furg25
03-20-2019, 19:03
Hi all.
New to the forum. Glad to have found this group(thanks Chard) and look forward to making most of the trips this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KeeWayKeno
03-20-2019, 20:05
Welcome to the EGL Furg25, looking forward to meeting you. Curious how you met Chard ... Pretty sure not in your professional capacity! [emoji16]

"Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one." T. Thomson

AntiCatastrofik
03-20-2019, 21:25
Hey guys! Met a few of you last september on Chicamoula with Jayson. Possibly interested in the late Sept or mid Oct hang if you'll have me. I probably won't know until closer to September though.

Chard
03-20-2019, 22:05
Hi all.
New to the forum. Glad to have found this group(thanks Chard) and look forward to making most of the trips this year.

Hey guys! Met a few of you last september on Chicamoula with Jayson. Possibly interested in the late Sept or mid Oct hang if you'll have me. I probably won't know until closer to September though.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys. I hope you can tolerant the food though.

Welcome to the EGL Furg25, looking forward to meeting you. Curious how you met Chard ... Pretty sure not in your professional capacity! [emoji16]

Ouch. That hurts.

LuvmyBonnet
03-21-2019, 07:39

Hey Anti, Where you the fellow with the well established beard that came from the States?
Hope to see you again in Sept/Oct.

AntiCatastrofik
03-21-2019, 19:17
Hey Anti, Where you the fellow with the well established beard that came from the States?
Hope to see you again in Sept/Oct.

Why yes I was! That's right folks! Another American joining the EGL! lol

BigGreenMoose
03-22-2019, 02:01
The more the merrier, Anti!

Maybe we could get a U.S-side group hang together some time. I've been eyeing Letchworth or Alleghany State Parks for potential long weekend trips.

Bubba
04-08-2019, 22:41
Haven't been on in a while. Any progress on the Spring trip. I think I can swing the first or second weekends in May. Good time to go if the bugs aren't out in full.

KeeWayKeno
04-08-2019, 22:49
Hey Bubba ... see thread '2019 Spring in Algonquin'. Hope to see you there. Whoooo Buddy!

LuvmyBonnet
04-09-2019, 08:46
The more the merrier, Anti!

Maybe we could get a U.S-side group hang together some time. I've been eyeing Letchworth or Alleghany State Parks for potential long weekend trips.

I would love to have some visitors from across the border. One EGLer has already voiced interest in coming over.
Letchworth is beautiful but the park doesn't allow anything hung from the trees so it would be a hammock stand only trip. Alleghany State Park is nice but expensive and lots of rules. Just across the PA border is the Alleghany National Forest. Plenty of nice free camping and also reasonably priced camp sites. I'm heading down to PA soon to go fly fishing. I'll be staying at a nice pay for site that also has direct access to paddling.

Bubba
04-09-2019, 12:22
Hey Bubba ... see thread '2019 Spring in Algonquin'. Hope to see you there. Whoooo Buddy!

Thanks, it wasn’t posted in the notify thread.

ggreaves
04-25-2019, 14:10
Ok, I've booked a site for 4 nights on Killarney Lake (couldn't get OSA) September 25th - 29th -4 nights. wed - sun. The 26th (thursday) isn't open yet but it lets you book multiple night trips starting on the 25th. Nice to know for the future. If someone wants to keep an eye on things and book a better lake over then next few days, feel free.

76 highboy
04-26-2019, 12:38
Ok, I've booked a site for 4 nights on Killarney Lake (couldn't get OSA) September 25th - 29th -4 nights. wed - sun. The 26th (thursday) isn't open yet but it lets you book multiple night trips starting on the 25th. Nice to know for the future. If someone wants to keep an eye on things and book a better lake over then next few days, feel free.

Providing I have no back issues, I AM SO IN !!!

Chard
04-26-2019, 17:15

Thanks Ggreaves! Count me in as well!

Furg25
04-26-2019, 17:16
Me too

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

KeeWayKeno
04-26-2019, 19:29
Looks like I'm out of luck for this one since Mrs. Keno & I don't get home from our trip until the 25th. Killarney will rejoin Temagami on my 'Must Do' list.

Hopefully there's still interest in Noganosh & French over the summer?

"Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one." T. Thomson

Mr.hammockcamper
04-28-2019, 18:54
I will definitely be in for the two summer trips! Just got my first canoe so I am anxious to test it out. I might be able to do the September trip but won’t make the October one because of school. Have fun at chicamoula!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ggreaves
04-29-2019, 08:58
Looks like I'm out of luck for this one since Mrs. Keno & I don't get home from our trip until the 25th. Killarney will rejoin Temagami on my 'Must Do' list.

Hopefully there's still interest in Noganosh & French over the summer?

Remember... the 25th of September is a wednesday - maybe if you're all packed and ready to go before you go on your vacation, you can duck out on thursday or friday and meet us there. Thinking about Noganosh.... I believe bass opens on the 29nd of June in Zone 15 where Noganosh is. Even if we're skunked with the fishing, there should be ample protein in the form of mosquitoes and blackflies to keep everyone fed.

keg
05-21-2019, 19:59
Hope people had fun on the long weekend.

Just booked my early July trip and thinking about August. Any thoughts on dates for the French?

Lofty
05-25-2019, 09:44
Ok, I've booked a site for 4 nights on Killarney Lake (couldn't get OSA) September 25th - 29th -4 nights. wed - sun. The 26th (thursday) isn't open yet but it lets you book multiple night trips starting on the 25th. Nice to know for the future. If someone wants to keep an eye on things and book a better lake over then next few days, feel free.I'm in for the Wednesday to Friday !
[emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bubba
05-27-2019, 05:36
I'm hoping Kilarney is in the cards for me. Don't think I can swing Summer or late Fall. Time will tell.

Lofty
06-03-2019, 14:33
Just wanted to add

From Killarney lake you can travel north to sandy lake
From the north side of Sandy lake its a pretty easy hike to silver peak.
We did it at night on snowshoes during the lunar eclipse and it took about 40 minutes

Just a thought for a day trip for this fall

ggreaves
06-11-2019, 13:33
Any thoughts on the summer trip as yet? (French river?). July works better for me - I'm covering for someone taking a trip to Europe in August so that would limit me to a weekend only if we did it then.

Niagara
06-11-2019, 14:06
Any thoughts on the summer trip as yet? (French river?). July works better for me - I'm covering for someone taking a trip to Europe in August so that would limit me to a weekend only if we did it then.

We'd be in for July (after the 23rd) and into August.

KeeWayKeno
06-14-2019, 19:00
I'm good anytime July except the 27th then ok all August.

Iguana
06-23-2019, 16:28
French - I am good anytime except July 27th - Aug 3rd and Aug 10 - Aug 20. Hopefully we can get a date nailed down soon.

Just got back from Massassauga PP what a beautiful weekend.

Iguana

keg
06-23-2019, 22:27
French - I am good anytime except July 27th - Aug 3rd and Aug 10 - Aug 20. Hopefully we can get a date nailed down soon.

Just got back from Massassauga PP what a beautiful weekend.

Iguana

My schedule is clear from mid july to mid aug.

KeeWayKeno
06-24-2019, 07:12
Understandably everyone's summer is filling up fast ... can we narrow it down to the two week period of August 12-26? Would like to do a weekday loop trip for those who can get away then back to a reasonable rendezvous spot for the weekenders.

LuvmyBonnet
06-24-2019, 11:20
Question? Is French River a no portage trip? I wasn't planning on doing any portaging till at least 2020.
Dad'd B-day will be celebrated either the weekend of Aug 16th or 23rd. ANF July 27-30.
This is all up in the air for me because I'm not sure I can get someone to watch my work while gone but I'd love to do a week.

Iguana
06-24-2019, 11:28
Question? Is French River a no portage trip? I wasn't planning on doing any portaging till at least 2020.
Dad'd B-day will be celebrated either the weekend of Aug 16th or 23rd. ANF July 27-30.
This is all up in the air for me because I'm not sure I can get someone to watch my work while gone but I'd love to do a week.

Love to do a week myself as well. Hopefully we can get a dates to work out.,.... I will go ahead and create a spreadsheet so we can get these dates nailed down.

As for the portaging, from what I understand you would need portage around any rapids you don't want to run. I have never been so I cannot say what those would look like.

ggreaves
08-07-2019, 13:46
Stuff's come up at home and I won't be able to make the Killarney trip. Does anyone know if there's a way to transfer the name on the permit to someone else?

Chard
08-07-2019, 14:15
I'd give Ontario Parks a call and if you're are able, transfer it over to me. I can reimburse you for any fees.

Lofty
08-15-2019, 16:11
Just curious who's going up midweek on the Killarnery trip?
I was planning on going in on Tuesday or Wednesday and hanging out till Friday

Richard perhaps we should start another planning thread for Killarney in September to see who's on board and such

Also I do know that site 23 on lake Killarney has a good jumping rock on it for those of us you might want to go for a swim to get the stink out

Chard
08-16-2019, 11:47
Just curious who's going up midweek on the Killarnery trip?
I was planning on going in on Tuesday or Wednesday and hanging out till Friday

Richard perhaps we should start another planning thread for Killarney in September to see who's on board and such

Also I do know that site 23 on lake Killarney has a good jumping rock on it for those of us you might want to go for a swim to get the stink out

Hey Lofty!

Looks like Keewaykeno, Highboy, Hoolio and Heather, Keg, Crusier51, Luvmybonnet and myself are all meeting up at Tuesday, Aug 20 at 8am (hopefully) at the Hartley Bay access point. At this point, Iguana's heading in Wednesday. Check the Trip thread here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154486-Canada-gt-Ontario-gt-EGL-gt-2019-Canoeing-Season-gt-French-River-Hang-Aug-2019?p=1975560&viewfull=1#post1975560)

Good idea on the Killarney thread.

xMagnolia
08-16-2019, 13:23
The EGL trips all look so amazing! I have to say I wish Alabama wasn't so far away.
Please share pics and a trip report so I can live vicariously.

Charlotte

Chard
08-16-2019, 15:53
The EGL trips all look so amazing! I have to say I wish Alabama wasn't so far away.
Please share pics and a trip report so I can live vicariously.

Charlotte

Will do ma'am.

OotN'Aboot
09-16-2019, 09:47
Any word on the October dates?

Chard
09-16-2019, 12:34
Any word on the October dates?

Just posted (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/155625-EGL-gt-2019-Canoeing-Season-gt-Algonquin-Canoeing-October-4-6-2019). Short notice, but hopefully folks will be able to make it.

Chard
10-07-2019, 08:01
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_3893.jpg

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a tentative (hammockative?) schedule for 2019. As always, there's an open invite to anyone wanting to attend.

Spring: Depending on ice out, first (new moon) or second weekend (waxing moon) of May - Chicamoula. Why? Trout and the safety of paddling flat, albeit frigid water.

Summer: Sometime - Nogonash Lake. Backcountry bushwack to an allegedly great bass/pike lake.

I'll be posting a new thread for each outing.

See you out there!
I'm happy to say that we managed to work through an awesome EGL canoeing season in 2019! Chicamoula, Noganash, the French River, Killarney and Algonquin; what a year!

For all of you who were able to come out to one or more of the trips, it was great tripping with you. For anybody interested in coming along, everyone's welcome.

When the first of the ice comes off of the lakes in 2020, we'll be there!

OneClick
10-07-2019, 08:14
When the first of the ice comes off of the lakes in 2020, we'll be there!

Just curious, when does this typically happen? Sometime in April?

Chard
10-07-2019, 08:46
Just curious, when does this typically happen? Sometime in April?

Hi OneClick,

Getting the timing right for the first paddle of the season has always been a bit of a nail biter. As the chart below shows, ice-out can happen any time from the end of March to the middle of May. Generally we aim for the first or second weekend of May, just before the blackflies make their appearance.

If, by your question, you're mulling over the idea of coming along, I'd recommend that you keep a couple of weekends at the beginning of May open if possible.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/images/iceout_graph.jpg
Source: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

OneClick
10-07-2019, 08:59
Thanks, just curious. If I do head up there it would likely be for a fall trip.

Oh-No
01-21-2020, 13:01
OK, I'm interested in this group. Now that I'm semiretired, there is more time
to do fun stuff. In reading the thread it seems like most of these trips involve
paddling and fishing. :)
I'm an 11-13 hr. drive to most of your past trips, so I would only be interested in
trip lengths of 5 or more days.
Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Chard
01-21-2020, 13:22
OK, I'm interested in this group. Now that I'm semiretired, there is more time
to do fun stuff. In reading the thread it seems like most of these trips involve
paddling and fishing. :)
I'm an 11-13 hr. drive to most of your past trips, so I would only be interested in
trip lengths of 5 or more days.
Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Hi Oh-No,

You'll never find a finer or better fed group of guys and gals anywhere. Newcomers are always welcome. We haven't settled on any details for the upcoming season beyond penciling in a long fall trip to Temagami around the end of September 2020. We're almost assuredly having a spring trout'n hang, at least one or two summer hangs as well. For what it's worth, it's not unusual for people to extend their trips by arriving early or lingering on after the "official" hang is over.

Looking forward to meeting you as well.