PDA

View Full Version : Algonquin - Mew Lake Question

tessiea
03-15-2019, 06:22
Good morning everyone,

Looking to take my nephew on his first camping trip and am thinking Mew Lake in Algonquin would be a good spot. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for campsite #'s that work well with hammocks. The one time I was there previously, the two sites that were still available were less than ideal.

Thanks for the help.

BigGreenMoose
03-15-2019, 06:30
Pog Lake would also be a decent option. For my wife's first camping trip in decades, we stayed at site #345 last summer at the end of June and had lots of space. Hammocks were hung near the water (bit of a scraggy area but away from the road) and our Eureka "bug-free zone" dining tent was hung between larger trees on the site.

There saw that there were better sites once we got set up, so I'll see if I can find my notes.

BigGreenMoose
03-15-2019, 07:12
That site (like many others in Pog) gave us direct lake access for our kayaks (had we brought them). The various outfitters will deliver rental canoes right to your site if you want to do some paddling.

ggreaves
03-15-2019, 10:32
most of the drive in sites at mew have suitable trees behind them. Also, if you just go to the office, they'll let you drive around the site, choose an open one then notify them which one you've chosen. You shouldn't have a problem.

KeeWayKeno
03-15-2019, 10:55
Greg's right, especially if you can go mid-week. I've taken my nephew & niece to nearby Lake of Two Rivers the week before Canada Day for several years & always lucked into a decent spot. Never made a reservation.

'Hanging trees' can be inconveniently placed & I had to get creative sometimes. Even took my homemade hammock stand once. It paid off big time with all three of us hooked to it in a chain (tree-hammock-stand-hammock-stand-hammock-tree). I bring a tent as a backup, but never needed it. Yet.

Awesome place for kids to run wild, with nearby bike trails, store/ice cream stand, beach, etc.

HarveyM
03-15-2019, 11:40
If you check online Ontario Parks have a few photos of each site. I usually reserve online (reservations for May to late Oct. dates only) and check out the available sites first.

https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/Algonquin-MewLake/DogandRadioFree(95-131)?List

tessiea
03-16-2019, 05:40
Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGreenMoose
03-16-2019, 05:51
I've had good luck using http://www.campsitepictures.com/ to check out sites. The have more pics than the Parks website for each site. They also have trail photos for Algonquin trails.