PDA

View Full Version : Tree Huggers @ Whoopieslings.com

opie
03-09-2010, 23:21
Ok.. the seamstress of the castle has agreed to take on the duties of sewing. She knows her way around the machine.

I told her how Id like them done and tomorrow shes going to do some test runs.... But its my intention right now to offer huggers with 2" loops sewn in either end. Perhaps Ill start with a fixed length and expand from there. I still need to price polyester webbing, and whatnot.

questtrek
03-09-2010, 23:26
Very interested! I say! .... Can't wait to see your offering! ... :cool:

opie
03-09-2010, 23:31
What would folks rather have, regular polyester or seat belt polyester?

SmokeBait
03-09-2010, 23:46
I'm sure "both" isn't the answer you're looking for :) I personally use regular polyester most of the time and most of the time I'm on oak trees. But I've used seat belt polyester on birch and cedar trees as it seems to be less harmful to the bark at the sacrifice of additional weight. Given a choice of only one, I'd go with regular polyester. They will make a nice addition to your line of great products.

stumo

opie
03-09-2010, 23:47
Both could be an option... I found some pretty good prices already...

Hokie
03-10-2010, 06:47

The lightest weight. Strapworks is too heavy with all their options compared to WB or AE. Where you source it will be key IMO.

Your other "experiment" arrived last night in time to take it out for 3 days on the AT this am, so will follow-up with feedback when I return. :) !

opie
03-10-2010, 09:30
Hokie, I look forward to the results.

I'll look into the lighter weight options too. I want to keep it a simple as possible.

opie
03-13-2010, 22:02
Allright folks.. I have black and camo 1" poly webbing on the way. I havent figured on a price yet. It will be on par with what everyone else is charging, maybe a little less.

I simply want to become a "1 stop shop" for suspension. Im also going to look into lightweight toggle material. Im pretty sure the HDPE or Delrin Ive been using for toggles will work for suspension toggles too.

But for a suspension toggle, I think Aluminum would be best, so Im looking into that.

canoeski
03-14-2010, 02:35
Opie,
I really like the 1 1/2" wide soft "seat-belt" material tree huggers that came with my HH hammock. (only they are too short at 45") They do seem light for the width (but I don't have any regular polyester webbing that size to compare to), and they are gentle on the bark. This material is thin and supple enough that I can scrunch it up and still get it on a Dutch Clip. It packs well.

I might suggest offering an option that one loop be small enough to just fit the dutch clip, and the other loop be big enough to tie a marlin-spike hitch with it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=300&pictureid=2445

opie
03-14-2010, 08:33
Ill look into it Canoeski.

opie
03-15-2010, 17:24
Allright, I just got 1" poly webbing in black and camo. The camo weighs 1.5 ounces for a 6' strap. Its rated at 1500 pounds, but Im gonna test it to be sure.

The black comes in at the same 1.5 ounces for a 6' strap. Thats with 2" loops on either end and a 4" tail for sewing.

It comes out to .2 ounces per foot or 6 grams. There is 7'4" in a 6' strap.

Javaman
03-16-2010, 18:48
Opie,

This is a great idea. I have avoided Strapworks because it seems like alot of fussing around. Now you have the one stop shop option!

I have had some poly webbing in the past that stretched, although I used it for suspension rather than huggers. This is why the Strapworks looked good. My HH tree straps don'T stretch at all. Can you please comment on the stretch properties of the webbing you have chosen to offer?

Thanks,

Javaman

opie
03-16-2010, 19:16
Java... I will once I put it to the test.

opie
03-17-2010, 19:55
Ive got a couple test pieces made up. Ill pull them apart this weekend.

Clark-O-Phile
03-17-2010, 21:45
Ive got a couple test pieces made up. Ill pull them apart this weekend.

I'm interested in the camo strapping 1''.

i'll keep a close eye on this thread.

Clark-O-Phile

headchange4u
03-17-2010, 22:44
When you say poly do you mean polyester or polypro? Might be a good idea to clarify that.

Clark-O-Phile
03-17-2010, 23:13
When you say poly do you mean polyester or polypro? Might be a good idea to clarify that.

I'm pretty sure it's polyester.

I might be wrong tho.i'm a nub!:cool:

opie
03-18-2010, 03:43
Polyester....

Thanks headchange.

Clark-O-Phile
03-21-2010, 22:56
Hey opie,did you get a chance to test these 1'' polyester straps this week-end?

I'm very interested in getting a set of these in camo
Depending upon pricing of course.:laugh:

Thanks opie and miss opie too!

Clark-O-Phile

opie
03-21-2010, 22:58
I did not. I got hammered Friday with orders. Possibly tomorrow. Im almost caught up but should be able to sneak out for a bit.

Redwood Guy
03-21-2010, 23:18
...I don't understand... how could a whoopie sling at (what?) 1/18th of an inch cause more damage than a webbing around a tree.... I just don't get it...

Seems to be a bear, moose, elk, or racoon is going to do more damage in a few seconds than a dozen guys out with hammocks hung up.

Clark-O-Phile
03-21-2010, 23:34
I did not. I got hammered Friday with orders. Possibly tomorrow. Im almost caught up but should be able to sneak out for a bit.

Thanks,looking forward to it!:)

opie
03-22-2010, 08:13
...I don't understand... how could a whoopie sling at (what?) 1/18th of an inch cause more damage than a webbing around a tree.... I just don't get it...

Seems to be a bear, moose, elk, or racoon is going to do more damage in a few seconds than a dozen guys out with hammocks hung up.

I dont think the issue is a wild animal will do more damage....

IMO, its the philosophy that when we camp out in the woods, we want to leave no trace that we were there.

Also... Weight spread out over 1" will exert less force/psi than 1/8. There is evidence that the smaller suspension lines will damage the bark of some trees. This can work down into the living layers of the tree and wound it or in the extreme case, kill it.

opie
03-22-2010, 11:10
And here we go...

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010218.jpg

Still have to get time to do some math to figure pricing, but my stitching passed my test.

oldgringo
03-22-2010, 11:15
And here we go...

Still have to get time to do some math to figure pricing, but my stitching passed my test.

Your stitching? I thought your Keeper was going to do the sewing...:confused:

opie
03-22-2010, 11:24
Your stitching? I thought your Keeper was going to do the sewing...:confused:

If they pass my stitching, they will certainly pass hers.

When I first got started with this hammock affliction, I made my own straps. I wanted to see if the bar tacks I used on my first set of strap would hold on these.

They did...and I wasnt gentle with them.

Clark-O-Phile
03-22-2010, 12:27
And here we go...

Super Nice,now if we could only get that darn accountant to get his pricing together,:scared:we could flood your log starting,lets say,NOW!:lol:

Thanks for the fast follow up on these,i was craving for details.

Now if i could only find a pair of those (super hard to find);) DUTCH CLIPS.
I guess they come in stock at the HF store only for 20 minutes once every couple weeks or months and then they're all gone,someone must have a cave full of them somewhere.:scared:
Come on,could anyone sell a pair to a fellow hanger in desperate needs!PM me if you can,i would to get a set of those clips to go with these new camo straps.

Thanks guys!

Clark-O-Phile

Thanks

opie
03-24-2010, 05:10
Huggers are now up on the block.

T-BACK
03-24-2010, 06:33
I have a question about the straps. Maybe I'm misreading your description. You have straps rated at 1500#'s that weigh 1.5 oz for the pair...as in .75 oz each for a 6' length? Not that I'm doubting you, it's just that I thought I had some lightweight polyester straps but they are double the weight of yours. I am excited at the thought of being able to shed a few more ounces. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Sorry I just re read the posts here and see they are 1.5 oz each. Too bad, I really got my hopes up for a minute there. I still read your site as saying 1.5 oz for the pair but again, maybe it's just me.

opie
03-24-2010, 07:44
I have a question about the straps. Maybe I'm misreading your description. You have straps rated at 1500#'s that weigh 1.5 oz for the pair...as in .75 oz each for a 6' length? Not that I'm doubting you, it's just that I thought I had some lightweight polyester straps but they are double the weight of yours. I am excited at the thought of being able to shed a few more ounces. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Sorry I just re read the posts here and see they are 1.5 oz each. Too bad, I really got my hopes up for a minute there. I still read your site as saying 1.5 oz for the pair but again, maybe it's just me.

Whoops, your right. I'll fix that when I get home.

Weight is 1.5 ounces for 1, 6' strap. Or 3 ounces per pair.

Drop
03-24-2010, 08:14
Good to see you selling the straps.
I was fairly close to ordering from you recently but lack of straps was one of the reasons holding me back. For an international order it makes sense to order once where possible, so the closer to a complete and adaptable system the better.
I'll probably still hold out until I see what you turn up on the buckle front.

BTW, as one of the lucky people wit some Dutch clips, would there be a chance of getting straps with one end biner friendly, the other end Dutch clip friendly? (drop straps :P)

opie
03-24-2010, 10:19
Good to see you selling the straps.
I was fairly close to ordering from you recently but lack of straps was one of the reasons holding me back. For an international order it makes sense to order once where possible, so the closer to a complete and adaptable system the better.
I'll probably still hold out until I see what you turn up on the buckle front.

BTW, as one of the lucky people wit some Dutch clips, would there be a chance of getting straps with one end biner friendly, the other end Dutch clip friendly? (drop straps :P)

Absolutely. About how big would the loop for the Dutch clip need to be? 1/4 or 1/2 inch?

Being able to get everything in one place is the reason I wanted to get the webbing on hand.

gargoyle
03-24-2010, 12:22
Drop, I just used a regular eye on my straps, once the dutch clip is installed, stitch a couple times close to the dutch clips hook. Keeps it in place, can't fall out. And, if in the future, I decide to change, I just snip or cut the few stitches to remove the clip.

eagleJ
03-24-2010, 18:43
I made these at work, sort of sewn in dutch clip http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xpFPP5WiuIY/S6qhrrnEB1I/AAAAAAAAC1Y/bsBo5zzEfPI/s640/P3210016.JPG

opie
03-25-2010, 04:47
Eagle, thats looks like a nice alternative to the DC.

Do you have any extras?

RePete
03-25-2010, 09:40
Opie I wish I had read this before I ordered tree huggers this morning. I would have ordered from you not because of price, customer service or anything like that at all. While those are good reasons. The reason I would have ordered from you is your willingness to help someone who wants to make for themselves what you are selling. You and your many posts were very instrumental in me successfully making my own whoopie slings and I would have gladly paid you back by purchasing tree huggers if I had known you were now selling them. When/if I need another set ill be sending my order your way.

Albert Skye
03-25-2010, 15:25
It appears that polypropylene is generally avoided as it's weaker than polyester; however, it also weighs much less and it's strength:weight is comparable or even higher.

I've had some trouble finding breaking strength and weight information for specific products but I think polypropylene is certainly worth considering.

eagleJ
03-25-2010, 17:26
Eagle, thats looks like a nice alternative to the DC.

Do you have any extras?

Yes, I cut out 12 plus 12 of reg DC style.

opie
03-25-2010, 17:56
Opie I wish I had read this before I ordered tree huggers this morning. I would have ordered from you not because of price, customer service or anything like that at all. While those are good reasons. The reason I would have ordered from you is your willingness to help someone who wants to make for themselves what you are selling. You and your many posts were very instrumental in me successfully making my own whoopie slings and I would have gladly paid you back by purchasing tree huggers if I had known you were now selling them. When/if I need another set ill be sending my order your way.

Thanks for the kind words otter.

opie
03-25-2010, 17:58
It appears that polypropylene is generally avoided as it's weaker than polyester; however, it also weighs much less and it's strength:weight is comparable or even higher.

I've had some trouble finding breaking strength and weight information for specific products but I think polypropylene is certainly worth considering.

I may consider that... weight is always a consideration.

opie
03-27-2010, 17:04
I will be adding toggles to the offering soon. I want to get some cut and drilled so they are ready.

Price will be $3.00 per pair with keeper strings attached. These will be Aluminum... arrow shafts to be exact and they are black.

Weight for a pair is 5 grams.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010237.jpg

I set one up from the rafter and looped some line over just the toggle and swung from it... Held up just fine. Should work well as a MSH toggle.

Black Phoenix
04-29-2010, 13:04
Do you have any images of the stitching of the loop?

opie
04-29-2010, 13:38
I can get some tonight.

opie
04-29-2010, 20:26
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010460.jpg
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010461.jpg
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010462-1.jpg