PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Highstrung
03-12-2010, 05:17
Ok, so I'm moving to the Seattle area in September. I've never been there, but I know the area is widely known for rainfall. I'm about ready to order a Maccat, but I'm not sure if I should spring for the ultra or stick with the deluxe. I don't want to carry more than needed, but I don't want to be confined to my hammock on rainy days either. Is the deluxe roomy enough for sitting outside the hammock and cooking dinner?

2Questions
03-12-2010, 07:17
I done that many times in the pouring down rain. I usually have an "awning" setup with my leki's. The Deluxe is fine for me, albeit I have doors too if needed for more storage and protection when it starts blowing sideways.

Highstrung
03-12-2010, 21:52
When I get to the states, I'm planning on sending mine in for doors too. So deluxe it is. I've been hearing that I might be spending a fair amount of time under my tarp so it needs to be roomy.

Just Jeff
03-12-2010, 21:59
I'm ok with the Standard, so I think a Deluxe is plenty of extra room for rainy days...for my style, at least. I wouldn't get something as big as an Ultra unless I was hanging two hammocks under the same tarp...but plenty of folks here have them and like them.

angrysparrow
03-12-2010, 22:02
I wouldn't get something as big as an Ultra unless I was hanging two hammocks under the same tarp...but plenty of folks here have them and like them.

Bear in mind the Ultra is the same width as the Deluxe. It just has a longer ridgeline length.

Highstrung
03-12-2010, 22:06
Oohhhh... Didn't notice that. Hmmmmm....

NCPatrick
03-12-2010, 22:14
I'd think the deluxe would be plenty. Combine it with Grizz beaks and you'd have a lot of flexibility. Sometimes it's nice to have a shorter length ridgeline in order to fit into the smaller places.

X-Lem
03-12-2010, 22:44
Highstrung, come over to the east slope of the Cascades. Less rain, more sun. It's not that far of a drive from the emerald city.

Just Jeff
03-12-2010, 22:46
Bear in mind the Ultra is the same width as the Deluxe. It just has a longer ridgeline length.

Yeah - there have been times where I could fit Joker and me under the Standard, but I wanted just a bit more length because of the hammock separation caused by the width of the tree. A longer ridgeline means that the wide part of the tarp (after the cat cut on the ends) is also a bit longer...so it covers more of the hammock when you're not laying down the centerline (e.g. two hammocks hanging off opposite sides of the same tree).

J_Squared
03-15-2010, 16:08
I have a deluxe in spinnUL and its perfect. I survived 24 hours of rain blowing sideways in 60mph gusts without even getting damp spray! I didn't even have an ideal position to the wind, I was about 45d off the wind direction with my ridge line. Very impressed with the coverage, construction, durability, and tarp overall. I did just order another OES but this one is square for dual hammock coverage.

Highstrung
03-16-2010, 06:44
Thanks for the input everyone. It's hard to visualize just how much coverage you get based on measurements. Okay, deluxe w/ guyline pocket mod ordered. Now I have to wait patiently for it to cross the pacific! (patiently... yea right)

Highstrung
03-16-2010, 06:47
Highstrung, come over to the east slope of the Cascades. Less rain, more sun. It's not that far of a drive from the emerald city.

Trust me. I'd love to, but I'll be working in Bangor so no dice. Maybe, I'll be able to get in on some of these hangs though. I'm so excited to get there.