PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how I lay, need advice on a UQ

Geekmedic
05-12-2019, 16:53
Recently bought the trail lair, and really like it. I've hung in my home and I cannot figure out what my lay is, primary reason for getting the TL. I hope to someday get the trail winder UQ (https://simplylightdesigns.com/collections/hammock-accessories/products/trail-winder-asym-uq) once I get more comfortable and consistent. For now I'm looking for recommendations for an UQ that will fit nicely and allow me to lay either way in the TL. I currently use a PLUQ, it's ok but obviously not the ideal or most insulating.

Oh habitat for my use is spring summer and fall camping mostly upper midwest bug territory.

Thank you

soul embrace
05-12-2019, 17:17
I have hammock gear under quilts and you can use it no matter which way you lay. as long as the under quilt isn't an asym UQ it will work

https://www.hammockgear.com/insulation/

TrailSlug
05-12-2019, 17:21
Nearly every under quilt made by our cottage vendors are made for laying either way. Only the Warbonnet Wookie is a directional underquilt and there may be a few others but they would state if they were designed for a directional lay.

Snaps
05-13-2019, 08:15
The SLD Trail Winder that the OP mentioned is also directional, which is (I'm sure) why he mentioned it.

OP, sounds like you'd be better served getting any of the wide variety of non-directional UQs if you can't wait until you figure out which way you prefer to lay... if in fact you DO have a preference. Maybe you don't.

For me, head left just felt right. Maybe because I'm right-handed and that gives my right side freedom to flail, swing, grasp stuff, etc. I don't think anyone's figured out what determines hang preference.

cneill13
05-13-2019, 08:29
I use a JRB Nest on most of my hammocks which include a WB XLC, SLD Trail Lair and a DH Sparrow. My Sparrow and Trail Lair are symmetrical and I have no problems with CBS.

The attachment system they use makes it ideal. Attach and forget.

Skytow
05-13-2019, 19:42
I’m like you in that I’m not sided in my lay direction. I have a few Trail lairs and use Hammock Gear UQs with them. No problems and the family seems to be OK with my set ups when we all go out together.

Works for me.