PDA

View Full Version : nuther newbie from Michigan

imaplugger
03-14-2010, 14:16
I'm in Southeast Mi. near U.S.23 and I-96. Lots of camping areas and hiking trails nearby. State Parks, Metro Parks and city parks.

I have not hung yet but I am never sleeping on the ground again! I watched some Shug Emery videos on YouTube and now all I can think about is hanging.

Last year I went out and bought a ENO double nester (good for 400lbs, I weigh 350lbs and am 6'5"). It seems to fit well but I've never slept in it yet.

I have a huge synthetic 0 degree sleeping bag, but I'm to big for it(it's a 40X90) and I can't zip it shut. It weighs 5.25lbs I've thought of using it for an underquilt or just leave it at home, take my wool Army blanket, a pad and reflector blanket. Will this work in cold weather?

I'm not sure I should be talking about all that stuff here or introducing myself. I'm retired, 63 years old, at least 100lbs. over weight never really been camping much and now I'm thinking about long distance backing. I've watched so many videos that now when I'm trying to figure out what to pack I'm mixing up the equipment not knowing anymore what is survivalist, pack packing or just for camping out.

I back and repack but the pack is still over 70lbs.
What is a fat man to do? No one seems to carry lightweight clothes and equipment for a tall big man. Tall yes, Big yes,but not big & tall.

opie
03-14-2010, 14:37
Welcome to HF!!

Nice to see another Michigander.

mbiraman
03-14-2010, 15:21
Welcome to the forum. Start out with day hikes/picnics with the gear you think you'll need . Then do an over night not too far from home/car and gradually increase the hiking distance and days out on a trip. You'll gradually figure out what works for you and what doesn't, what you need and what you don't. The smaller outings give you confidence and informs you of what you need for longer outings.

Trooper
03-14-2010, 15:36
Welcome to the family. I'm moving to the Detroit area in about three weeks...Got a room for short-term rent? I don't know how the doctors would rank backpacking as a weight loss regimen, but I think it is one of the most satisfying ways to do it.

I started camping as a bushcraft/survivalist style, but that doesn't always agree with the Leave-no-Trace doctrine. I've found lightweight backpacking to be a good blend, so don't worry about mixing equipment designed for different styles of camping. Do as mbiraman suggests and take some weekend trips. You'll probably learn how little equipment you actually need, which frees up money to get higher quality of what is needed.

gargoyle
03-14-2010, 15:55
imaplugger, welcome to the forum, and a big howdy from yet another mitten-state guy.

Give us a run down of your equipment, maybe we can help?

Stone
03-16-2010, 11:23
Welcome to the forum, another Michigander cant be bad. Hamburg, isnt there a bar named the Hamburg Pub or something like that?

Trout
03-17-2010, 06:49
Welcome to HF. You have some experienced hangers up there, so your in good company.

Adia
03-17-2010, 07:12
Welcome from another newbie. i sort of understand your pain in your search for things that fit you.....but on the opposite end...lol i don't know if it makes you feel any better, but i regularly have to shop for kids size stuff, and getting the pack weight down to something manageable for me is becoming more difficult as we go on. (i am about 5ft and weigh a whole 110lbs, with the figure of a teenage boy...lmao)
but you are here now and there are some great people here who can help point you in the right direction......
Good luck
adia