PDA

View Full Version : Lay Direction Baffles

El Gordo
09-22-2019, 14:03
Does anyone have any experience with the lay direction option on the Habanero? Beyond the great look, is it more comfortable, more likely to stay put, warmer? Also, I'm assuming "Left Lay" means "head left".

bigdisgrace
09-22-2019, 14:25
Lay direction refers to feet not head.

HandyRandy
09-22-2019, 15:27
If you do indeed always lay one direction, I think it’s worth having. It just conforms to your body a little better. It’s a lot like the Wooki, in that sense. And I agree, it looks cool :)

SilvrSurfr
09-22-2019, 16:39
Lay direction refers to feet not head.

I don't know about that - where did you hear that? Is there an authority on this matter? For example, my lay direction is head right, feet left, but I don't think anybody would know that from a "left lay" description.

Phantom Grappler
09-22-2019, 17:58
Lay is which way your feet point
Feet left
Left lay

El Gordo
09-22-2019, 18:30
With disagreement among such eminent hammock authorities, I think I'll ask George what *he* means by it. Thanks!

SilvrSurfr
09-22-2019, 18:38
Lay is which way your feet point
Feet left
Left lay

You, too, sound convinced, but I wasn't aware that this had been firmly established. It ain't in the glossary for hammocking!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/192-Glossary-for-hammocking

HandyRandy
09-22-2019, 18:46
It is known. It’s an unfortunate term because it’s sort of ambiguous. Right lay is head left. I don’t know why it persists. Time to petition for a change!

Otter1
09-22-2019, 19:00
I don't know about that - where did you hear that? Is there an authority on this matter? For example, my lay direction is head right, feet left, but I don't think anybody would know that from a "left lay" description.

Lay direction is based on the feet. A few mftrs put it on their sites as well.

SilvrSurfr
09-22-2019, 19:12
Lay direction is based on the feet. A few mftrs put it on their sites as well.

Well, even if you showed me the "few manufacturers" who put it on their sites, I still wouldn't say it has been firmly established as a fact that "lay direction is based on the feet." Now if every manufacturer agreed on a definition of lay direction, that would be a different story. . . .

El Gordo
09-22-2019, 20:00
Lay direction is based on the feet.

Perhaps because hammockers use their feet more than they use their heads?

georgecarr
09-23-2019, 08:00
Uh bouy:rolleyes: . While it might not be agreed among 9 out of 10 SilvrSurfrs:lol:, I'm reasonably sure most quilt and hammock manufacturers would say feet right is a right lay. Put it in the hangers dictionary.

The bigger question is do directional baffles do anything? The answer is yes, but is it for everyone - no. When I sew a directional baffle underquilt it changes the shape of the quilt. In a straight baffle quilt you wind up with two tapered ends, but in a directional quilt you wind up with a wider shoulder on one side, with a wider foot on the other. Not quite what I would call a asymmetrical, just a different shape. Will it keep me warm? Yes. Will it keep me warmer? No. It does snug different though, almost like hugging you and is a little more fiddly. One disadvantage is if you decide you are now a different lay or want to change directions for whatever reason it could feel a little off. It will get you through the night but not as it should.

What to do, what to do? My advice is if you are not a dedicated lay, or if you loan our gear, go straight baffle. I used to make all of my own personal quilts right lay, but I find these days I'm not really attached to a piece of gear as I used to be, so I now make my own stuff straight baffle because I could sell it on a whim or loan it out and it keeps the fiddle factor lower.

At the end of the day if you ask me and you sound unsure in any way I would recommend straight baffles.

El Gordo
09-23-2019, 09:51
I'll take that as authoritative on all points! :)

Thanks much, George.

rweb82
09-23-2019, 10:24
Well, even if you showed me the "few manufacturers" who put it on their sites, I still wouldn't say it has been firmly established as a fact that "lay direction is based on the feet." Now if every manufacturer agreed on a definition of lay direction, that would be a different story. . . .

I guess the better question would be "Are there any manufacturers that define lay direction as the opposite?" I have not found any. They either specify what "right or left lay" means, or they just say "head left/feet right." I've yet to see a manufacturer define "right lay" as "head-right."

fallkniven
09-23-2019, 14:37

Oh its not only established, its law. Written in the hammock hanging law book. Right under subsection 47 where it states.....SilvrSurfr is always wrong. Hes slept with too many squirrels in his day to be trusted on any matter. Just know, hes been saved by the TRACKER!

HandyRandy
09-23-2019, 15:15
Oh its not only established, its law. Written in the hammock hanging law book. Right under subsection 47 where it states.....SilvrSurfr is always wrong. Hes slept with too many squirrels in his day to be trusted on any matter. Just know, hes been saved by the TRACKER!

He’s not “wrong”, just a chronic contrarian :) It’s hard to get him to open up his tarp doors, lol.

I bet the reason it’s not in the forum glossary is because the admins don’t want to concede to such a silly terminology. Our last vestige of reason, if you will.

El Gordo
10-02-2019, 21:23
Woohoo! I pulled the trigger on my first 0-degree under quilt!

Habanero size: 70" - 900 fill power Downtek Goose Down; Extra Length: 8"; Width: 44" Width (industry standard); Lay Direction: Right Lay; Outer Color: Lime Green Argon 90; Inner Color: Burnt Orange Argon 67 Taffeta; Outer Stitching Color: Match Fabric Color; Inner Stitching Color: Match Fabric Color; Head End Draft Collar: Match Inner Fabric Color; Foot End Draft Collar: Match Inner Fabric; Grosgrain Trim Color: Black;

Shug
10-03-2019, 10:16
Woohoo! I pulled the trigger on my first 0-degree under quilt!

Habanero size: 70" - 900 fill power Downtek Goose Down; Extra Length: 8"; Width: 44" Width (industry standard); Lay Direction: Right Lay; Outer Color: Lime Green Argon 90; Inner Color: Burnt Orange Argon 67 Taffeta; Outer Stitching Color: Match Fabric Color; Inner Stitching Color: Match Fabric Color; Head End Draft Collar: Match Inner Fabric Color; Foot End Draft Collar: Match Inner Fabric; Grosgrain Trim Color: Black;

Congratulations and salutations. If you want to see my -10º Mucho Habanaro then check it out in the video below at 12:30 in. May get you even more excited.
Shug

https://youtu.be/5AJ8qJQ-zHc