PDA

View Full Version : Equipment storage

c4mailman.pb
11-15-2019, 12:37
I know this topic is a sad one but must be addressed, equipment storage, particularly fabric and insulation storage. I have stored things like tents with spray on type waterproofing and taped seams just to have them be sticky to the touch and tape crumbled. I have stored them in their stuff sack as well as very large mesh laundry bags. I have stored them in climate controlled areas and places like a hot garage. Same problem no matter what. Is this common? Do I need to just figure on periodically treating these fabrics? Finally do I need to store down filled items fluffed or in the stuff sack or does it even matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmc4free
11-15-2019, 12:45
Most people store their down quilts loosely
- Hanging in a closet
- In a bin (make sure it's completely dry before closing the bin, and/or store with desiccant)
- In a large cotton or mesh sack (some quilts come with one)
- etc.

How much it matters is debatable, but it's a fairly widespread practice.

c4mailman.pb
11-15-2019, 12:49
- Hanging in a closet
- In a bin (make sure it's completely dry before closing the bin, and/or store with desiccant)
- etc.

Thanks. I may try the bins.

cmc4free
11-15-2019, 13:00
Thanks. I may try the bins.

That's what I do, personally.

TxAggie
11-15-2019, 16:23
My down is in the Cotton Bags they came with and simply sit on an open wire shelf.

ATGIRL2028
11-15-2019, 19:53
My down is in the Cotton Bags they came with and simply sit on an open wire shelf.

I was wondering the same...when I FINALLY get my topquilt in 4 more weeks (aaarrrggg!!!) how do I store it? Does it HAVE TO hang or can I fold it and put it loosely on a shelf? I really don't have anywhere to hang it, but plenty of shelf space.

cmc4free
11-15-2019, 20:20
Definitely doesn't have to hang. Just don't store it compressed and try to keep it in a dry, climate controlled environment, and you're good.

ATGIRL2028
11-15-2019, 20:23
Definitely doesn't have to hang. Just don't store it compressed and try to keep it in a dry, climate controlled environment, and you're good.

Perfect, ty.

AndyK
01-23-2020, 08:32
Keeping quilts in large mesh bags has worked for me for the past couple years. I live in a tiny New York City apartment, so hanging my quilts isn't really an option.

OneClick
01-23-2020, 08:45
I would never hang my stuff even though I have the space. Just feels rough. I have a few down coats hanging on padded hangers and they still get a good deal of tension in the shoulders. Just being totally paranoid I'm sure.

Shug
01-23-2020, 09:37
I do hang all my TQs, sleeping bags and UQs.
Shug

https://live.staticflickr.com/8460/7933840640_edf026a3d8_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/8456/7933843510_f57a6d2244_c.jpg

Adroa
01-23-2020, 09:52
- Hanging in a closet
- etc.

So if the quilt is totally dry then it is fine without airflow? Currently got my TQ in a large bin but saw someone post on the forums that they needed airflow. Been meaning to circle back and make sure mine was not suffocating! :D

Shug
01-23-2020, 10:14
So if the quilt is totally dry then it is fine without airflow? Currently got my TQ in a large bin but saw someone post on the forums that they needed airflow. Been meaning to circle back and make sure mine was not suffocating! :D
These quilt bags from Hammock Gear work great. Breathable.....https://hammockgear.com/storage-sack/

Shug

OneClick
01-23-2020, 10:19

I would love to hear the explanation from them on why they need air flow. I'm not being facetious, I just can't think of a reason if it's put away dry and kept in a home.

cmc4free
01-23-2020, 11:30
I've been keeping all my (dry) quilts, sleeping bags, and out-of-season down jackets in bins for years. No mildew or ill-effects of any sort.
After using a quilt, I do leave it hung in the garage to air dry for a couple of days before putting it back in the bin. If in any doubt, I might even leave the lid off the bin for an extra day or so.

My thought is that anyone claiming airflow is "needed" is taking extra insurance against putting away a quilt before they know for sure it's totally dry.