PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Ontario->EGL->2020 > Valens Gearing Up for Winter Hang: Jan 10-12th, 2020

Chard
12-02-2019, 17:56
EGL New Years at Valens 2020

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_0061-32017.jpg

Seasons greetings all!

I just wanted to invite one and all to our annual EGL New Year's "Gearing Up for Winter" hang.

Hopefully we'll be able to do a repeat of the porkapalooza, expanding it slightly to include a scrumptious taco-fest!

Let's hope for some good sub-zero weather and knee deep snow.

Happy and safe holidays to you and yours and we'll see you in the new year.

Chard

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=178179&d=1574116607

Bubba
12-05-2019, 03:59
Don’t know if we could ever top last year’s feast. I’m hoping to make it for at least one night.

Niagara
12-05-2019, 10:16
Planning on both nights.

keg
12-06-2019, 18:24
If I'm not coaching at a tournament that weekend I'll be there.

LuvmyBonnet
12-07-2019, 10:46
I'll have to see about changing some plans so I can make this one.

Some good news. Looks like Ontario Parks has made some improvements. Looks like you can reserve back country sites and print receipt 2 weeks ahead of time. I'm assuming that means we won't have to wait for the office to open anymore. :thumbup:

Cruiser51
12-08-2019, 09:20
I looked that over as well Luvy, the advertising hype says all parks... which means that some of them would need to change their policies. However when I went through the list the one notable exception was that French River was not on the list. I assume that means you still can't do reservations there, I suspect we will find other exceptions as we explore the new site a bit.

Brian

Chard
12-09-2019, 23:44
I'll have to see about changing some plans so I can make this one.

Some good news. Looks like Ontario Parks has made some improvements. Looks like you can reserve back country sites and print receipt 2 weeks ahead of time. I'm assuming that means we won't have to wait for the office to open anymore. :thumbup:

I looked that over as well Luvy, the advertising hype says all parks... which means that some of them would need to change their policies. However when I went through the list the one notable exception was that French River was not on the list. I assume that means you still can't do reservations there, I suspect we will find other exceptions as we explore the new site a bit.

Brian

I just got off the phone with Ontario Parks Reservations and got the following info (Link to Ont Parks (https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/), last tab "Backcountry Reservation")

Interior permits for the following parks can be booked online and printed at home (French River Provincial Park, Lake Superior Provincial Park, Missinaibi Provincial Park (River), Spanish River & Biscotasi Lake Provinical Park, Temagami Cluster, Wabakimi Provincial Park and Woodland Caribou Provincial Park). Printed permits are sufficient "proof" of registration for Park officials.
The remainder of parks like Algonquin still require registering at the park office.

KeeWayKeno
12-10-2019, 09:23
Well that settles it ... Temagami it is!

76 highboy
12-10-2019, 17:24
Well that settles it ... Temagami it is!

I vote for temagami as well !

underserviced
12-12-2019, 14:39
It is in my calendar. I should be there. Looking forward to it!

Chard
12-12-2019, 14:47
It is in my calendar. I should be there. Looking forward to it!

Temagami?!? Awesome!

Now it's up to our resident Temagami cartographer Iguana to research all sources to devise a multi-day canoe route worthy of the most adventurous marshmallows amongst us. My only requirement is "fun", "good times" and no small measure of "sweat".

That being said, we should take care not to confuse the Valens and the Temagami hang threads. I barely remember which shoe I have on which foot.

LuvmyBonnet
12-12-2019, 15:46
I take it Temagami is a consideration for Summer/Fall trip? If that is for the trout trip, that might put ice out a bit further along as it's so far North. Wish I hadn't cheaped out on the Temagami map at the symposium now.

Chard
12-12-2019, 15:53
I take it Temagami is a consideration for Summer/Fall trip? If that is for the trout trip, that might put ice out a bit further along as it's so far North. Wish I hadn't cheaped out on the Temagami map at the symposium now.

I think we were talking Temagami for the EGL Fall 2020 hang. Spring for me means "no bugs", "trout", "long portages" and the rare "Scottish trout" (hint, hint).

LuvmyBonnet
12-12-2019, 15:56
the rare "Scottish trout" (hint, hint).

I hear that the rare Scottish trout tastes like Diiirrtt!

Niagara
12-13-2019, 12:28
Valens hang is taco themed correct? will bring chipotle spiced Chicken taco with avocado cream sauce (not mine - Sam the Cooking guy). May bring some to share....haha :drool:

BigGreenMoose
12-26-2019, 09:26
Merry Christmas to all celebrating in the EGL gang and extended forum friends!
Hope you all got some nice new hanging/camping gear in your stockings and under the tree.

Don't think I can make the Jan 10th "Tacos from the Burrito" event due to a work conflict.

Enjoy the fire, but spread out your hammocks and lift a corner of your tarp a bit if refried beans are served! [emoji1785]

Got my fingers crossed you get snow!

Chard
12-29-2019, 19:32
I was just talking with Pit Master Jiblets.

As of now, we're aiming to have the main hoe-down on Saturday Jan 11. The smoker will likely be running all day, so it's up to the us to bring whatever meat we want to eat and/or/and share. Of course Jiblets can only do so much in the smoker at one time, but grilling over the open fire is, of course, a welcome option. If your can bring whatever roadkill you can drag in by mid-afternoon, we'll be sure to cook it up right. Don't forget to bring whatever sauces you want to go along with your roasted beast.

Frankly, if there's one thing I've learned about the EGL crew, is that no one's against tucking into a rack of ribs at 11 pm. Call it a bedtime snack to ward off the cold; something about digestion, fat and all that. If anyone so much as dares to mention the word "salad", there'll be hell to pay!

Mexican's still the theme of the weekend, but honestly, who's ever really had a belly full of tacos that couldn't have been made better with a dripping rack of ribs. Ola! As before, I'll drop by our firewood bro Brian and grab a trunk-full, but likely we'll need a little more.

My bib is ironed and ready to go! And on top of it all, our early Feb winter-camping expedition is right around the corner. We really should nail down some dates: how about Feb 8th?

I'm so stoked!!!

BigGreenMoose
12-29-2019, 20:08
{...}our early Feb winter-camping expedition is right around the corner. We really should nail down some dates: how about Feb 8th?

I'm so stoked!!!

Should we start a separate topic for the Feb trip planning/details?

LuvmyBonnet
12-30-2019, 11:23

LuvmyBonnet
12-30-2019, 11:26
I've got a lamb loin roast ready for the smoker. Heading to the grocery store tonight to eye up various other types of roadkill. I'll look into taco type options too. I've found sprouts a lot better than lettuce on tacos so I'll bring some of those. I'll probably be up Saturday with the Pittsburgh crew. They look forward to the Canada hangs.

"Should we start a separate topic for the Feb trip planning/details?" - Yes, lets start planning. If anyone is interested there's a PA hang Jan 31-Feb 2.

Chard
12-30-2019, 12:48
Should we start a separate topic for the Feb trip planning/details?

Done and done!

EGL Feb 2020 Winter Backcountry planning thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/156969-Canada-gt-Ontario-gt-EGL-gt-2020-gt-Winter-Backcountry-Early-Feb-2020)

Hoolio
01-03-2020, 11:43
here's hoping my new LSOH UQ comes soon. Although with this weather I might not need it.

Niagara
01-03-2020, 11:59
here's hoping my new LSOH UQ comes soon. Although with this weather I might not need it.

just got mine before Christmas - I'm with ya here's hoping it comes in handy.

traycer
01-03-2020, 23:35
Should we be booking timeslots in Jiblet's smoker? ;)

Also, anyone showing up Friday during the day? @toastywaffle and I will be rolling in late Friday evening with friend @technopop in tow (who was at the winter camping symposium with us). A couple other friends who are first-timers to this may arrive earlier on Friday.

Lofty
01-05-2020, 08:17
I'm planning to be there Friday about 2pm

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

LuvmyBonnet
01-05-2020, 12:36
Looks like the Pittsburgh crew has off Friday so we'll be heading up on Friday. Probably showing in the afternoon.

Chard
01-06-2020, 13:26
Anybody have any info on our firewood situation? I should be able to pick up small load in my sedan but it won't last too long. A bigger vehicle would be needed to haul in more.

LuvmyBonnet
01-06-2020, 15:02
I'm kinda cramped for space but I could always drive up the road after dropping off some peeps and gear.
We need a Noodle load of wood. :lol:

Niagara
01-06-2020, 15:04
Anybody have any info on our firewood situation? I should be able to pick up small load in my sedan but it won't last too long. A bigger vehicle would be needed to haul in more.

I will grab some pallet wood if available and will bring some from home - arriving Friday evening. (prob be enough for 4-5 hours.. or 20 minutes in Whet Newdel fires).
Have no problem running back out on Saturday if need be to Firewood Brian's if he knows we coming.

76 highboy
01-06-2020, 15:52
I will bring what wood was leftover from nov valens hang,problably a couple of hours ,at least with the way we burn.
+ fish tacos,slaw and fixins. mmmmm:)
Hope to be at valens 1:00 ish friday

Chard
01-06-2020, 16:35
I will grab some pallet wood if available and will bring some from home - arriving Friday evening. (prob be enough for 4-5 hours.. or 20 minutes in Whet Newdel fires).
Have no problem running back out on Saturday if need be to Firewood Brian's if he knows we coming.

Just spoke to Mr. Firewood Brian and he's expecting me sometime midday Friday.

Chard
01-07-2020, 14:28
I was pondering on how to coordinate group tacos. Frankly I'm not sure how to do it in way that everyone who wants a taco gets a taco other than leaving it up to everyone to bring their own fix'ns and we can enjoy them together.

Any better ideas?

Niagara
01-07-2020, 14:56
something to Consider - I don't mind supplying shredded lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream for group instead of everyone bringing their own.
will bring refried beans rather than my original dish as well.

Hoolio
01-07-2020, 15:07
Turns out spending last weekend in a hot tent may have consumed our "sleeping" outside time for January. Sorry to be missing the gathering. Will definitely see you in the spring because H got us tickets to the Canoe Emporium.

traycer
01-07-2020, 15:18
Anyone have a big-*** tarp and enough cordage to put a fly over the firepit area? Looks like we are in for some wet weather Friday and Saturday, then things will freeze up overnight into Sunday.

traycer
01-07-2020, 15:24
I was pondering on how to coordinate group tacos. Frankly I'm not sure how to do it in way that everyone who wants a taco gets a taco other than leaving it up to everyone to bring their own fix'ns and we can enjoy them together.

I was thinking the same thing. Nobody should feel obliged to bring enough to feed the group, but it seems that we always end up with way too much food anyway, so I think we'll be fine if we just do our usual ad hoc sharing. I'll bring my usual roasted slab bacon, plus probably an extra sous vide pork belly I want to try searing over the fire. I'll also have a dozen large tortilla wraps if anyone wants to roll their own burrito using whatever fillings are available. Now that I think about it, I have a couple pounds of basa fillets in the freezer. I'll pre-cook them at home and we can use those for fish tacos. If @Niagara brings the garnishes, the rest of us can supply the protein.

Niagara
01-07-2020, 16:29
Anyone have a big-*** tarp and enough cordage to put a fly over the firepit area? Looks like we are in for some wet weather Friday and Saturday, then things will freeze up overnight into Sunday.

I have one that might by 15 x 20?? will bring a few but not showing up till suppertime-ish after work.
Will also be bringing a propane stove and 20# tank - a little unorthodox maybe for an EGL hang considering our fires however options is good thing sometimes.

LuvmyBonnet
01-07-2020, 19:42
For chow I'm planning on bringing some taco shells, flour tortillas, turkey taco fixings, chipotle lime salsa, sour cream, couple bags of taco cheese and sprouts. For the smoker was looking to bring a 2 lb lamb loin roast.
I've got a Kelty 14 somewhere.

Chard
01-07-2020, 19:58
For chow I'm bringing a dozen taco shells, a dozen tortillas, ground beef taco fixings, hot salsa, a bag of taco cheese and a couple of cans of refried beans. Lettuce, tomatoes courtesy of Niagara for which I'll bring a bottle of Caesar salad dressing if there's extra. Whatever doesn't get eaten is Saturday lunch!

Of course I'll bring my trusty big white and blue tarp.

keg
01-07-2020, 21:30
Sorry but won't be able to make it. Part of me wishes I was back in the day of coaching weak basketball teams when one tournament per year was enough.

Have fun even though the weather will make a gearing up for spring event.

KeeWayKeno
01-08-2020, 14:37
I was hopeful of attending but turns out a friend's funeral conflicts ... I'll also be on a trip during the February event, so I'll;
a) look forward to hearing all about your adventures, and
b) eagerly awaiting word on the Spring canoe/hang.
Cheers all!

LuvmyBonnet
01-08-2020, 15:49
I was hopeful of attending but turns out a friend's funeral conflicts ... I'll also be on a trip during the February event, so I'll;
Cheers all!

Condolences on your friend and also sad I won't see you on the next 2 hangs.

Chard
01-08-2020, 16:14
Sorry but won't be able to make it. Part of me wishes I was back in the day of coaching weak basketball teams when one tournament per year was enough.

Have fun even though the weather will make a gearing up for spring event.

Cheers all!

Sorry to hear that neither of you are able to come out this weekend.

My condolences on the loss of your friend Mr. K.

Until next time.

Niagara
01-08-2020, 19:27
Cheers all!

Very sorry to hear. Your attendance will be missed, but a glass shall be raised. Safe travels KWK

KeeWayKeno
01-09-2020, 12:47
With the ice accretion possible, extra vigilance for widow-makers (not to mention the drive home) ... take care folks.

Yeah, I know I'm not your mama.[emoji849]

"Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one." T. Thomson

76 highboy
01-09-2020, 14:37
Yo Mama: Sorry to hear about the loss of a friend,sad indeed.

Unfortunately some health concerns have forced my hand and I wont be able to make this hang.
Whats really sad is its about eating and you cant have stomach issues at an egl hang!:(

Try to pretend there is no such thing as bad weather.

Cheers

LuvmyBonnet
01-10-2020, 10:22
I'm assuming ice clearing on the highways is decent up there?!?

Chard
01-10-2020, 12:08
I'm assuming ice clearing on the highways is decent up there?!?

Highways into Valens seened fine. Valens roads around the campsite are a little icy.

BTW: Standard Valens weather is in effect.

Chard
01-12-2020, 21:07
Brief Trip Report (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/157132-EGL-Valens-Gearing-Up-for-Winter-Hang-Jan-10-12th-2020-Torrential-Tortillas)

traycer
01-13-2020, 10:34
Posted my photos over on Chard's trip report thread...