PDA

View Full Version : Bicycling & Hammocking Pacific Coast Hwy

WeTommyD
03-20-2010, 22:42
I'm taking a three week bicycling trip this year and have decided to tour either Jasper to Montana or the Pacific Coast Hwy starting in Seattle and heading south to San Francisco. I heard great things about the inexpensive hiker biker sites on the Pacific Coast Hwy. Anybody, know if I would have any problems finding trees to hang at these sites? I'm guessing many are on the coast.

Redwood Guy
03-20-2010, 23:02
Hey,

I spent a year back in Buffalo. I think you will find things out here a weebit nicer :D

I live in Eureka, which is about 3/4 of the way on the Seattle/SF trip. If you stayed on U.S. Route 101 the whole way you would encouter a *few* places that you might be w/o trees. Probably a couple of nights in OR would be iffie at best. There might be one or two places along the CA 101 as you get closer to SF that could be iffie as well.

But, for the most part, you would have one of the most beautiful roads in the lower-48 to bike through/on. I've been almost everywhere in the USA and I always end up back here in the middle of the Redwoods. Truly amazing mate.

Anyway, except for a few places where there are rolling hills in OR and CA (central) you should be pretty much good-to-go with a hammock the entire way! For those few places you might not find trees right off the road, at just the time you want to stop... I'm not really sure what to suggest. I don't own a Clark hammock (just bought my first hammock last week) so I'm not sure how well it will work stacking it up on polls or one the ground. I would suspect though, that just about anywhere along this entire trip where you might not have immediant access to trees, you could locate some off the highway a bit. Most folks around along Rout 101 wouldn't give you a second glace if you did. Think up-state NY not NYC atmosphere when it comes to peoples take on people camping out :D

Ramblinrev
03-21-2010, 07:13
You might look into a website called warmshowers.org. As a member you can contact other members all over the world for a place to crash, shower and sleep while bicycle touring. I've hosted a few people and have always had a good time. I have not hosted as of yet. But you might find it helpful for planning purposes.

mbiraman
03-21-2010, 11:26
Jasper to Banff has very wide paved shoulders , ,one of the most scenic rides in North America and trees everywhere although i think you might be limited to campsites in the park unless you stealth. Banff to Glacier is another thing and you would need to take a closer look at that as the paved hyway does not go through the mnts (lack of trees ) and there are cross winds. You might think about going from banff to Radium BC and south to Montana . Trees all the way, small road shoulders but less traffic.

WeTommyD
03-22-2010, 22:40
Redwood, I may PM you in the future for route advice if I do indeed decide to take this route.

You might look into a website called warmshowers.org.
Those websites are a great idea but I tend to be really bad at making plans. I ride all day and often into the night.

i think you might be limited to campsites in the park unless you stealth. Banff to Glacier is another thing and you would need to take a closer look at that as the paved hyway does not go through the mnts (lack of trees ) .

Interesting, I thought I would have little to no problems hammocking on this trip! Are the campsites all expensive on this route $20-$25? I like the idea of stealth camping but it rarley occurs do to the fact I like my showers after sitting on the bike all day.

mbiraman
03-23-2010, 01:05
WeTommy; Ok There's a few things to think about. Jasper/banff is a park. Some of the greatest scenery you'll ever see, campgrounds yes, showers??,,hotels yes expensive.
South of Banff your out of the park. Are you riding a mnt bike or road bike??There a number of hyways ( in Alberta ) that take you south to Glacier, not all paved not all with trees. Rockies/forest meet flatland/prairie. You should start looking at a map of south west alberta to see what i mean, hyway #40 paved, forest, #940 gravel,forest, and #22 paved ranch country. I would check with a bicycle alberta website about kananaskis country and south and get info. I've motorcycled some of it not bicycled. Lots of people do the jasper /banff route, world famous. Mnt bikers do the continental divide route,,lots of dirt. If you check with adventure cycle you can get lots of info about particular routes and youtube these days has lots of footage . Below is one site i looked at i thought you might want to read
http://www.motorera.com/tandem/banff.htm
I'll be back over the next couple of days with some other info

mn-Fire
03-23-2010, 10:15
Good luck on your trip. A friend and I are planning to due the circle tour around Lake Superior in mid August. 3 weeks to complete approximately 1300 miles. So it give me the summer to covert the ground pounder to hammocks. I just ordered my new "Brooks B-17". Hope it's as good as they say. Now looking for a great deal on Schwalbe Marathon tires.

Ramblinrev
03-23-2010, 11:49
I just ordered my new "Brooks B-17". Hope it's as good as they say.

Incredible saddle... BUT!!!!! make sure you put some miles on the bugger to break it in before you get to far from home. Unless they have changed it you are looking at an all leather saddle of the best caliber design and construction. But the sucker is hard as marble floor until you get your rump fitted to its contours. (No it doesn't work the other way around.) But it is a superb saddle.

JerryW
03-23-2010, 12:39
I'm sure you already know about these websites, but I thought I'd add the links anyway for reference.

Adventure Cycling (http://www.adventurecycling.org/) is THE place for bicycle touring maps. They show everything from campgrounds to stores to post offices(but not trees:laugh:).

Pacific Coast Bicycle Route (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/pacificcoast.cfm)

Great Parks Bicycle Route (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatparks.cfm) from Jasper, AB to Durango, CO.

Another good resource is Crazy Guy on a Bike (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/). There are thousands of touring journals. You can search for journals that cover the ares you are planning to ride. Most journals have lots of photos and good info on camping opportunities.

Hope that helps.

Jerry

WeTommyD
03-23-2010, 23:31
WeTommy; Ok There's a few things to think about. Jasper/banff is a park. Some of the greatest scenery you'll ever see, campgrounds yes, showers??,,hotels yes expensive.
South of Banff your out of the park. Are you riding a mnt bike or road bike??There a number of hyways ( in Alberta ) that take you south to Glacier, not all paved not all with trees. Rockies/forest meet flatland/prairie. You should start looking at a map of south west alberta to see what i mean, hyway #40 paved, forest, #940 gravel,forest, and #22 paved ranch country. I would check with a bicycle alberta website about kananaskis country and south and get info. I've motorcycled some of it not bicycled. Lots of people do the jasper /banff route, world famous. Mnt bikers do the continental divide route,,lots of dirt. If you check with adventure cycle you can get lots of info about particular routes and youtube these days has lots of footage . Below is one site i looked at i thought you might want to read
http://www.motorera.com/tandem/banff.htm
I'll be back over the next couple of days with some other info

This post was a lot of help. I got the map out that Alberta sent me. I'll be riding a road bicycle so paved roads are a must. It looks like Adventure Cycling route follows Route 93 into Whitefish or I can take route 40 to route 22 to route 6 to the Glacier National Park.

The tandem site was a useful site that I have not discovered yet. Thank you. I have rather, slow connection at home but YouTube is a great idea. My problem is with unfamiliarity of routes. I just want the most scenic route available (Of course with a road bike).

Good luck on your trip. A friend and I are planning to due the circle tour around Lake Superior in mid August. 3 weeks to complete approximately 1300 miles. So it give me the summer to covert the ground pounder to hammocks. I just ordered my new "Brooks B-17". Hope it's as good as they say. Now looking for a great deal on Schwalbe Marathon tires.

Good to hear from a fellow biker who is also a hammocker:).

I'm sure you already know about these websites, but I thought I'd add the links anyway for reference.

Adventure Cycling (http://www.adventurecycling.org/) is THE place for bicycle touring maps. They show everything from campgrounds to stores to post offices(but not trees:laugh:).

Pacific Coast Bicycle Route (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/pacificcoast.cfm)

Great Parks Bicycle Route (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatparks.cfm) from Jasper, AB to Durango, CO.

Another good resource is Crazy Guy on a Bike (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/). There are thousands of touring journals. You can search for journals that cover the ares you are planning to ride. Most journals have lots of photos and good info on camping opportunities.

Hope that helps.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, Checked most of them out. I'm a Adventure Cyclist member but have not orderd the maps. I'm sort of torn between the Pacifc Coast & Alberta

mbiraman
03-24-2010, 00:28
Quote- "It looks like Adventure Cycling route follows Route 93 into Whitefish or I can take route 40 to route 22 to route 6 to the Glacier National Park."

route 93 is the one i was talking about going south from Radium. This is a nice run ,,good scenery, three or four hot springs and your right beside the mnts. I know this area very well as i use to live there many moons ago and have motorcycled through there a couple of times. I ride a bicycle also so i'm familiar with some things although haven't done much touring. Big beautiful lakes along the way and not so cold at night and no cross winds.
Route #40 is a beautiful route once you get there from Banff and all that crazyness,,mega tourists . Route #22 is through ranch land, relatively flat , cattle grazing, treeless, private land. You might do all of 22 in a day so maybe hanging wouldn't be an issue BUT the cross winds , vehicles doing 110+ mph, no shoulder and ****** weather that can come in a minute is a real deal. Make your own decision but if it was me i'd do 93, takes a bit longer but more enjoyable, and oh yea , trees all the way, and small rec sites all through the east kootenay area which is what its called. Google East kootenay and have a look at the area
bill

WeTommyD
03-24-2010, 09:39
Thanks for the inside knowledge. That was the type of directions I was looking for.

mbiraman
04-01-2010, 13:50
Hey WTD; after we spoke last i remembered i went through Banff last fall. I came from the west on Hyway #1, enters into the banff/jasper corridor around L. Louise . Somewhere south of there there was construction going on, widening of the existing hyway so dirt road here and there. I'm enclosing a website that might be helpful with knowing whats going on when the time comes if you choose to do the B/J run. You actually turn off at the Castle MNt junction to go onto Hyway 93 but you may want to go down to Banff anyway just for the look see and then go back to Castle junction when ready. There was something else i was going to mention but have forgotten. As i remember i'll send the info along. Here's the link,you'll want to scroll down in the second box to where it says "banff to castle mnt junction" and "Castle Mnt Junction to L. Louise."
cheers
http://www.ama.ab.ca/road_report/Mountain.htm

WeTommyD
04-01-2010, 22:12
You actually turn off at the Castle MNt junction to go onto Hyway 93 but you may want to go down to Banff anyway just for the look see and then go back to Castle junction when ready.
http://www.ama.ab.ca/road_report/Mountain.htm

Thanks for the website.

Funny, I was thinking if it would be worthwhile or not to go to Baniff since I would be backtracking. If I remember the map correctly it seems like it is about 20 miles away from the 93.

This trip is changing quite a bit. My brother is a hiker and am a biker. I invited him to meet me the last week for some hikinig in the Canadian Rockies or Glacier National Park. Can you reccomend a great hike in these areas. We would have 5 or 6 days available for the hiking.

mbiraman
04-02-2010, 00:03
Boy thats a big question and i'm not the best one to answer that. Banff nat'l park has more miles of hiking trails that any other mnt park in the world so lots to chose from. My advice is to get in touch with a few hiking clubs/websites in the Canmore, Banff, and Glacier area and see if they list them by time,,one day, two day etc. and degree of difficulty. Also it will matter what time of yr you'll be there ( snow) ,,i don't remember you saying. There is some spectacular back country in that area and you can get away from the crowds but have to realize its also popular. One that i've heard folks talk about but i haven't done is the Mount Assinaboine area. Enclosed is a link to start with. If i come up with more in the next few days i'll post it up. My very first time in Jasper in 1971 i was sleeping in my little pup tent and awoke in the morning surrounded by a herd of Elk munching on grass. It was way cool. Oh i remembered that other thing. If and when your in jasper take a day and visit Maligne Canyon and Maligne Lake before heading south. Here's alink. There's a little video on the left, gives you a bit of a look see.

http://www.i-needtoknow.com/assiniboine/index.html

http://www.malignelake.com/

http://pbrownacsw.com/SPIRIT%20ISLAND%20Maligne%20Lake%20British%20Colum bia.JPG

cheers

khai
04-14-2010, 13:37
Now looking for a great deal on Schwalbe Marathon tires.

The best price I found on Schwalbe Marathons was at SJS Cycles (http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=15907). I think they worked out to ~$50ea, landed.

mbiraman
05-07-2010, 17:45
Hey WetommyD; I came across something and thought of you and your brother. Its a book that rates alot of the trails etc in Banff,Yoho,Kootenay etc nat'l parks. Sounds like a quick way to find some hikes for you and your brother.
http://www.hikingcamping.com/hike-rockies.php

enjoy
bill

jayo
06-10-2010, 16:30
This is a little late, but I missed this the first time around.

I bicycled/hammocked from Portland to Los Angeles at the end of last summer taking the coast route. I stayed at hiker biker campsites the whole way down (except Eureka, there were only RV campgrounds close when I was ready to stop (no trees!), I treated myself to a hotel here) and there was only one site where I couldn't use a hammock - it was right on the beach and there were literally no trees in the whole campsite. I got back on the road, went to the next hiker/biker site six miles down the road, and there were plenty of trees there.

I followed the directions of the book "Bicycling the Pacific Coast" which was great because it lets you know where grocery stores are along the route, great for planning lunches. I never ate so much in my life as during those three weeks.

If you do the coast route, take big tree huggers (mine are each 72" long and that was almost always plenty, although a couple times they only went halfway around the tree), and the wider the better - my 1" wide webbing did leave dents in the redwood bark, which was embarrassing, although at least it won't hurt the tree - they have bark 6-12" thick. I suspect the dents may spring out after a couple hours too, although I never stayed in camp to see if that was true.

bambooguerilla
10-23-2010, 00:27
I've hiked/bikepacked extensively over the emerald triangle area and you will have no problem finding trees to hang in the northern northern part of the state. Even inland.

Hello to redwood guy, as well. I used to live in Arcata.

Caribou Bentspoke
01-23-2011, 01:32
I've cycled the Oregon coast, and was tenting. There were too many trees in the way in most of hiker biker sites, and it made it hard to find room for a tent.
Even if you have to get a auto site, there are plenty of trees, and likely no one will care if you have a hammock.
One of the reasons I bought hammocks,...we have too many trees and they must be put to use.:lol:

Pseudonym
01-23-2011, 09:07
I've been researching this bit of the route for my PanAm ride. I knew I should have searched here. I think I might have to take a pile of hammock gear for this section.

Rug
01-23-2011, 16:38
If you are planning on putting that many miles on a bike have you considered riding a recumbent bike?

I will never go back to to an upright.
Ground -> Hammock = Upright -> Recumbent

Pseudonym
01-23-2011, 18:08
I'm actually planning on riding my unicycle - that's why I need to think every stage through, and plan what I'm going to carry.

I've done a few week-fortnight long shake downs with my hammock, but I'm not sure how feasible it will be for the actual ride.

You guys have got me thinking that maybe a wood and alcohol stove combo might be better than a Whisperlite or Omnifuel though.

bike camper
03-08-2011, 19:29
For anyone doing a bike tour this year, there is a great web resource called crazyguyonabike.com. It's full of journals, articles, classified ads, and more.