PDA

View Full Version : Sept SEHHA Hangout

Ewker
07-30-2007, 12:13
Just for curiousity's sake, who all is planning on attending Ed's next SEHHA hangout Sept 14-16?

ok just realized the poll will close on 8-8-07..sent PM to Moderator to see if they can change date

cameronjreed
07-30-2007, 12:15
I am planning to attend. Looking forward to placing some faces with some names from this board. I will be flying into Charlotte and then my grandparents (who live in Hickory, NC) will drive me to the camp site.

headchange4u
07-30-2007, 12:30
I SHOULD be able to make both Friday and Saturday this time. I'm gonna go ahead and request off work for that Friday.

stoikurt
07-30-2007, 12:36
I'm planning on coming up. I'm taking Friday off to travel up there. I have a training class in Duluth, GA on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday right after the SEHHA, so it will work out great. That way I get my employer to spring for most of the travel.:D

Ewker
07-30-2007, 12:46
I need to buy 50' of Ed's orange cord. I hope someone close to Nashville goes. I can give you the money up front.

slowhike
07-30-2007, 13:51
.ok just realized the poll will close on 8-8-07..sent PM to Moderator to see if they can change date

i believe it's changed now. i added an extra day but that's ok<g>.

Ewker
07-30-2007, 13:55
thanks Tim, I knew you were good for something :p

slowhike
07-30-2007, 13:58
thanks Tim, I knew you were good for something :p

it's about time, huh?

Hooch
08-13-2007, 15:02
I'll definitely be there this time. I missed the last one, had a REALLY good time at the April Hangout. If HC, any of the Kentucky hangers, or anyone else between Lexington and Hot Springs want to carpool or need a ride, let me know. See y'all there!

slowhike
08-13-2007, 15:06
I'll definitely be there this time. I missed the last one, had a REALLY good time at the April Hangout. If HC, any of the Kentucky hangers, or anyone else between Lexington and Hot Springs want to carpool or need a ride, let me know. See y'all there!

i'm looking forward to it too.
i need to take some time out to work on a project or two before then.

headchange4u
08-13-2007, 15:35

I may take you up on the car pool. I'll get up with you as the date approaches.

As a side note, I would also like to do the video tutorials at this gathering if possible. Refer to this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=561). If you are a new member and you have never seen this thread, please take the time to read through it and offer any suggestions on what needs to be included in the tutorial videos.

Still need a video camera, though:o I video camera that record to a hard drive or those small DVD's would be the best. My parents have a video camera that records to the 8mm tapes. If nothing better comes along I will get it from them and I will find some way to transfer the video to my PC for editing and posting.

OUT-N-ABOUT
08-13-2007, 16:39
I Plan On Being There Onsat. Can't Stay Overnight This Time. Where Is The Camp Going To Be.

headchange4u
08-13-2007, 16:48
I Plan On Being There Onsat. Can't Stay Overnight This Time. Where Is The Camp Going To Be.

Here ya go:

20th SEHHA Campout

Hot Springs Campground

Hot Springs, NC

September 14-16, 2007

Sponsored by Speer Hammocks, Inc

Join us for the 20th SEHHA (SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association) campout the weekend of September 14-16, 2007. It's FREE! (except for your $5/nite camping fee). This is an informal group event and everyone is welcome--veteran, novice or future hammockers. See, learn and share your knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts. This will be an easy overnight campout at a commercial campground in a beautiful mountain river setting near the Appalachian Trail in western North Carolina! Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of the Hammock Camping Newsletters for this fun early Fall campout. Previous trips were well attended and this is another chance for hammockers to show their stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old friends and make new ones! Check out the newest hammock gear!

Come help us celebrate the begining of Autumn!

We will camp in the popular Hot Springs Campground approximately 45 minute drive northwest of Asheville, NC or 1.5 hours east of Knoxville, TN. The campground is located on the east side of the town of Hot Springs on Highway US 25/70 directly across from the Hot Springs Resort and Hot Tubs. The campground is situated on the French Broad River and our campsite (#413) is on the rivers' west bank. Road access to the campground is from Asheville, NC or Newport, TN on US 25/US 70. Trees are available for about 15 hammocks, so please bring hammock stands if you have them--we will also provide stands (contact us to reserve one). If you have folding camp chairs, bring them. Everyone will be responsible for his or her own transportation, gear, behavior, and camping fees ($5/person, see Ed at campsite). Camp central for the weekend will be the camp fire and large white canopy at site #413.

Show up anytime and leave anytime, but don't miss our free Saturday evening
hot dog cookout! This is now a tradition at each hammock hangers campout--it's not to be missed! Otherwise, everyone will be responsible for his or her own meals.

Upon arrival, check in at the campground gate and ask for the 'hammock group'. Don't pay at the entrence gate--you pay me at the campsite itself. Karen and I will be at the campsite Friday afternoon thru midday Sunday, so arrive anytime after 1 pm Friday. The Hot Springs area abounds with outdoor opportunities like hiking, canoeing, kayaking, river rafting, fishing, mountain biking, etc--you can easily combine the hammock campout with an outdoor trip. The Appalachian Trail passes thru town and only a few hundred feet from our campsite. The French Broad River adjacent to our campsite is a popular fishing and floating stream.

Find complete campground details at:

http://camp.nchotsprings.com/

Find driving directions at: http://nchotsprings.com/directions.html

Early Fall temperatures at this elevation can fluctuate wildly, so expect daytime temps of 50-80F and nighttime temps of 30-50F. Rain is possible so be prepared.

Signing up is not necessary, but letting us know will be appreciated-- [email protected] or call (828) 724-4444

Everyone Welcome! See ya at Hot Springs! …..Ed "Not To Worry" Speer

Hooch
08-13-2007, 20:54
I may take you up on the car pool. I'll get up with you as the date approaches.
Cool, I'll catch up with you before then.

NCPatrick
08-13-2007, 20:54
There's no "I'm trying to work it out" choice on this poll, but that's my answer.

slowhike
08-13-2007, 21:09
There's no "I'm trying to work it out" choice on this poll, but that's my answer.

well we'll just hope you can work it out.
if so & you want to car pool, let me know.

NCPatrick
08-13-2007, 21:11
Will do. Thanks!

TDunc
08-14-2007, 06:55
Having never been to a multi-hammock hang before, I assusme that this is one place that we should bring a hammock stand? :confused: All four of us want to go.

Shadowmoss
08-14-2007, 07:13
I think Ed suggests stands if you have them, but there are a lot of trees on this group site. I will be there, unless this possible new job has me off at a school on the other side of nowhere.

Hooch
08-14-2007, 08:39
Having never been to a multi-hammock hang before, I assusme that this is one place that we should bring a hammock stand? :confused: All four of us want to go. 4D's, there are plenty of trees at that group site like Shadowmoss said. If you're bringing your whole crew, you may want to contact Ed about stands. He'll supply them if you let him know you need them. Hope to see you there!

peanuts
08-14-2007, 13:23
only if i can find someone to share a ride with! so far i don't see any interest from georgia hangers..(exept maybe egads)and only if the family calender stays clear....

slowhike
08-14-2007, 14:31
only if i can find someone to share a ride with! so far i don't see any interest from georgia hangers..(exept maybe egads)and only if the family calender stays clear....

sorry i can't help you there. hope it works out for you.

peanuts
08-14-2007, 14:55
thanks slowhike! i may make it there yet....i have another angel in the wings.....i'll get more info as the dates get closer...(insert dancing banana here)

Cannibal
08-14-2007, 15:24
Peanuts - if I can go, I'd be happy to pick you up on the way by. I'll know if I can go by next Friday.

stoikurt
08-14-2007, 15:56
I, too, have already offered thru PM's. So, one way or the other, we should be able to get her there.

lyleb
08-14-2007, 21:55
Would LOVE to attend, but will be at the Partnership for the National Scenic and Historic Trails Conference in Duluth then.

I'm really looking forward to attending my first hanging, but it will have to wait.

slowhike
08-14-2007, 22:02
Would LOVE to attend, but will be at the Partnership for the National Scenic and Historic Trails Conference in Duluth then.

I'm really looking forward to attending my first hanging, but it will have to wait.

as soon as we see the date for the next hot springs SEHHA camp out in the spring, we'll post it here so people can plan ahead.
of course if you're up for some winter hammocking, there's the SEHHA tradition of joining a bunch of other campers on springer mt on new years eve.
i went to one of those but it's to far of a drive for one night & besides, it was just too much of a party for me:rolleyes:

lyleb
08-14-2007, 22:13
That Springer camp out sounds VERY interesting. Anyone up for some hiking that time of year? You are right slowhike, kinda far for just one night, but if I hike for a week or so... HMMMMMMM!

Will have to consider this for a bit.

Hooch
08-15-2007, 05:41
We have our fingers crossed for you NCP. Hope to see ya there!

NCPatrick
08-15-2007, 06:35
Thanks Hooch. I'm still trying to work it out. It's almost as complicated as TeeDee and Grizz's math. :eek:

Hooch
08-16-2007, 17:31
Thanks Hooch. I'm still trying to work it out. It's almost as complicated as TeeDee and Grizz's math. :eek: Please, it's been calm here for the last couple days. :p Don't get the mathletes started. :eek:

Ewker
08-23-2007, 09:18
if anyone from Nashville is going to this could you pick me up 50' of Ed's orange cord. I can pay you before or after, your choice

Shadowmoss
08-23-2007, 18:05
Make arrangements with Ed (pay, etc.) and I can bring it back for you. Might cost you dinner...

slowhike
08-23-2007, 18:41
if anyone else would like to get anything sold on the speer hammock web site, he will be glad to bring it to you (or someone on your behalf) at hot springs & save you the shipping.
you could pay him in advance or pay at hot springs.
but be sure & let him know in advance so he can add it to his van packing plans.

if one or more persons are getting something that comes on a spool, like webbing or tarp cord, he will probably bring the spool & roll off how ever much people decide they want.
for those two things (cord & webbing) you could just let me know & i can make sure he knows to bring it. ...tim

Ewker
08-24-2007, 07:36
Make arrangements with Ed (pay, etc.) and I can bring it back for you. Might cost you dinner...

shipping it would be cheaper

Shadowmoss
08-24-2007, 08:01

Whatever. Your call...

neo
08-24-2007, 09:59

:) i would love to take you out to dinner if eddie does not want to take you:cool: neo

Nest
08-24-2007, 10:30

She didn't say where dinner would be. McDonalds, with a coupon!

tanpuma
08-24-2007, 21:58
happy meals!

Certain
08-26-2007, 13:06
Well...change in plans (as always). My mom lost her job last week and to cheer her up, I've offered to fly her out to see me for a week. Thing is, she can only come the week of this hangout, so I'm now going to have to bow out of the Hot Springs hangout, BUT, that allows me to justify attending another one in the near future :rolleyes: , I'll just have to see what my job situation (as in...I have no job yet...) is like. ...maybe I just need to host my own, seeing as how I'm 30 minutes from the AT in central Virginia now....hmmmm....... I was really looking forward to meeting everyone there, so I suppose I'll get to have that to look forward to a little longer.

Hooch
08-27-2007, 04:50
Well...change in plans (as always). My mom lost her job last week and to cheer her up, I've offered to fly her out to see me for a week. Thing is, she can only come the week of this hangout, so I'm now going to have to bow out of the Hot Springs hangout, BUT, that allows me to justify attending another one in the near future :rolleyes: , I'll just have to see what my job situation (as in...I have no job yet...) is like. ...maybe I just need to host my own, seeing as how I'm 30 minutes from the AT in central Virginia now....hmmmm....... I was really looking forward to meeting everyone there, so I suppose I'll get to have that to look forward to a little longer. Michele, sorry you can't make it to Hot Springs, we'll miss you. I was really looking forward to meeting you. If you host your own hangout, I'll go out of my way to be there if I have enough notice at work to request the time off. A couple months is usually best, but I'll wing it if I have to. Hope to catch you some time soon and have a great time with your Mom!

slowhike
08-27-2007, 05:43
Well...change in plans (as always). My mom lost her job last week and to cheer her up, I've offered to fly her out to see me for a week. Thing is, she can only come the week of this hangout, so I'm now going to have to bow out of the Hot Springs hangout, BUT, that allows me to justify attending another one in the near future :rolleyes: , I'll just have to see what my job situation (as in...I have no job yet...) is like. ...maybe I just need to host my own, seeing as how I'm 30 minutes from the AT in central Virginia now....hmmmm....... I was really looking forward to meeting everyone there, so I suppose I'll get to have that to look forward to a little longer.

sorry to hear that. hopefully you can make another group camp out soon.

Egads
09-02-2007, 13:39
SEHHA attenders,

Is anyone interested in hiking from Davenport Gap to Max Patch on Saturday Sept 15?

If not, would you be willing to give me a ride to either end from Hot Springs? We'll be back to Hot Springs in time for the hot dog cookout.

Egads

Hooch
09-02-2007, 22:48
SEHHA attenders,

Is anyone interested in hiking from Davenport Gap to Max Patch on Saturday Sept 15?

If not, would you be willing to give me a ride to either end from Hot Springs? We'll be back to Hot Springs in time for the hot dog cookout.

Egads Egads, I might be in on that one. I'd enjoy the hike as long as you're not one of those break-neck speed hikers. I'm a bit on the slow side, but would enjoy the challenge of a good hike. If you're interested, we could leave one car at Max Patch and the other at Standing Bear Farm, that way we have our own built in shuttle. Then we could go from Standing Bear (near the I-40 overpass) to Max Patch. Let me know and I'll arrange a place at Standing Bear to leave one of the cars.

FanaticFringer
09-02-2007, 22:52
Egads, I might be in on that one. I'd enjoy the hike as long as you're not one of those break-neck speed hikers. I'm a bit on the slow side, but would enjoy the challenge of a good hike. If you're interested, we could leave one car at Max Patch and the other at Standing Bear Farm, that way we have our own built in shuttle. Then we could go from Standing Bear (near the I-40 overpass) to Max Patch. Let me know and I'll arrange a place at Standing Bear to leave one of the cars.

Egads and I had a nice overniter late last year. He is a break-neck speed hiker but I'm sure he would'nt mind slowing down a few mph.:D

Hooch
09-03-2007, 03:03
Egads and I had a nice overniter late last year. He is a break-neck speed hiker but I'm sure he would'nt mind slowing down a few mph.:DThanks, I'll just shuttle you guys to your starting point. :p I'll see if Slowhike wants to hit the trail with me somewhere. He's more my speed. :D Tim, will the back allow to make a day hike in Hot Springs? How about to Deer Park Mountain Shelter? Anyone else game for that one?

slowhike
09-03-2007, 05:44
Thanks, I'll just shuttle you guys to your starting point. :p I'll see if Slowhike wants to hit the trail with me somewhere. He's more my speed. :D Tim, will the back allow to make a day hike in Hot Springs? How about to Deer Park Mountain Shelter? Anyone else game for that one?

yeah, we could do a day hike.
a few of us hiked up to lover's leap (over looks the river) last trip. we didn't go far, just walked & talked & took pictures. it was an enjoyable walk.
i'll have to look at a map & see where deer park is.
be sure & note the elevation change when you're looking at those trails. hot springs is down on the river & the trail goes quickly up onto a mountian in both dirrections<g>.

Egads
09-03-2007, 06:12
FF,

I was just trying to keep up with you, and beat the rain.:rolleyes: Hooch & Slowhike, thanks for the offer. I'd be happy to slowdown just for the company.

Egads

Just Jeff
09-03-2007, 06:45
Michele - why not bring your mom to Hot Springs?! I'm sure there's an extra hammock around. And who knows...neo might even buy her dinner! :p

I'd come to a hangout in central VA if I'm in the country.

But since I can't make it to Hot Springs this time, I hope there are lots of good pics when it's over!

FanaticFringer
09-03-2007, 08:00
FF,

I was just trying to keep up with you, and beat the rain.:rolleyes: Hooch & Slowhike, thanks for the offer. I'd be happy to slowdown just for the company.

Egads

Hey you were leading the way on the way out......I actually liked that break neck speed.:cool:

Hooch
09-03-2007, 08:40
i'll have to look at a map & see where deer park is.
be sure & note the elevation change when you're looking at those trails.
Deer Park Mountain Shelter is the first AT shelter going SOBO out of Hot Springs. According to the Applachian Trail Distance Calculator (http://www.ragtag.org/dbatdist.html), it's 3.2 miles from Hot Springs to the shelter. There is a climb of about 1000' to the top of Deer Park Mountain and then a descent of about 300' or so to the shelter from there. And that's all I got to say about that. :p

stoikurt
09-03-2007, 09:08
I would be up for a shorter hike like mentioned above. But doing a 15-16 mile day like Davenport to Max Patch is not good unless you're out there a lot and have a pretty good pace.

Hooch
09-03-2007, 09:12
I would be up for a shorter hike like mentioned above. So we can count you in for the round trip of Hot Springs to Deer Park Mountain Shelter then? Looking forward to meeting you in Hot Springs. :D

stoikurt
09-03-2007, 09:16
So we can count you in for the round trip of Hot Springs to Deer Park Mountain Shelter then? Looking forward to meeting you in Hot Springs. :D

Yep, I'm still a GO. As it stands, so far, I'll be picking up Peanut when I come through the Atlanta area, unless her plans change.

Hooch
09-03-2007, 09:24
Yep, I'm still a GO. As it stands, so far, I'll be picking up Peanut when I come through the Atlanta area, unless her plans change.Cool, that means we won't have to hear her fuss about her van the whole time. Just kiddin Peanuts, we love ya! Hope you guys have a safe trip, catch ya in Hot Springs!

Shadowmoss
09-03-2007, 09:27
I got a new job that starts the 17th. My last day on the current job is this next Friday. I have some things to do around the place, but I will be in the Hot Springs area at the lastest Thursday nite. Anyone up for arriving a bit early and 'hanging' out? I'm a totally slow hiker, so generally just wave everyone else on ahead. I couldn't even keep up with 'slowhike' on the way to Lover's Leap. So, probably much hiking wouldn't work as a group thing with me.

GrizzlyAdams
09-03-2007, 09:54
would very much like to attend, but business takes me to Scotland. I should pack a hammock and find some hanging photo ops at Stirling Castle. :)

Hoping for lots of pictures in the gallery when I get back....

Grizz

Shadowmoss
09-03-2007, 11:28
**Shadowmoss scooches things around and packs herself in Grizz's carry-on for the trip to Scotland**

slowhike
09-03-2007, 12:00
would very much like to attend, but business takes me to Scotland. I should pack a hammock and find some hanging photo ops at Stirling Castle. :)

Hoping for lots of pictures in the gallery when I get back....

Grizz

oh yeah... rub it in grizz, rub it in<g>.

GrizzlyAdams
09-03-2007, 19:15
oh yeah... rub it in grizz, rub it in<g>.

**Shadowmoss scooches things around and packs herself in Grizz's carry-on for the trip to Scotland**

Not rubbing in anything about this tim. I just figured if PreachaMan can haul himself half-way across the country to this gig, I'd better have a pretty good excused absence ;)

Hope you can scrunch down small Shadowmoss. I connect through Heathrow and the folks there are mighty picky. Only one small carry-on, they sometimes measure...I really dislike Heathrow....

Grizz

Nest
09-03-2007, 19:27
Whether there are two hikes, a slow and fast one, or just one I'm in. Atleast one of them.

Hooch
09-03-2007, 21:43
I just figured if PreachaMan can haul himself half-way across the country to this gig, I'd better have a pretty good excused absence ;) PrechaMan is coming all the wy to Hot Springs for this? Wow. That's a dedicated hanger. You have my admiration, sir. See ya there! :D

Preacha Man
09-03-2007, 23:06
PrechaMan is coming all the wy to Hot Springs for this? Wow. That's a dedicated hanger. You have my admiration, sir. See ya there! :D

whoa whoa whoa :eek: , I would LOVE to come to Hot Springs :( , but I was talking about going to the Mid-Tennessee hangout in October. I have to work the weekend of the hang at the Razorback game, plus it is my father in laws 50th birthday (yes, I know, I'm really young). Other than all that I have been talking to my wife about all of us packing up this spring and coming to Hot Springs. I hope that I still have your admiration, but I thought I might clarify.

Sorry Guys,
Dwight

GrizzlyAdams
09-03-2007, 23:11
whoa whoa whoa :eek: , I would LOVE to come to Hot Springs :( , but I was talking about going to the Mid-Tennessee hangout in October. I have to work the weekend of the hang at the Razorback game, plus it is my father in laws 50th birthday (yes, I know, I'm really young). Other than all that I have been talking to my wife about all of us packing up this spring and coming to Hot Springs. I hope that I still have your admiration, but I thought I might clarify.

Sorry Guys,
Dwight

oops, sorry...I do remember being impressed that you worked out the time and miles and it was BIG...shoulda checked my facts....

But I've been toying with the notion of a midwest hang this spring in Southern Illinois or Southern Indiana. That would be "close" for you. Closer than Tennesse anyway!

Grizz

Hooch
09-03-2007, 23:27
I hope that I still have your admiration, but I thought I might clarify.

I've been toying with the notion of a midwest hang this spring in Southern Illinois or Southern Indiana.

PrechaMan, absolutely you do, no douba about it. Grizz, IN/IL isn't horribly far for me, I think I could make that, hopefully. :D

slowhike
09-04-2007, 05:39
.I have been talking to my wife about all of us packing up this spring and coming to Hot Springs.
Dwight

i hope that works out for you guys. hot springs is a nice little mountain town.
i suspect that your family would really enjoy that... and we'd get a chance to meet yall. ...tim

slowhike
09-04-2007, 05:42
.But I've been toying with the notion of a midwest hang this spring in Southern Illinois or Southern Indiana. That would be "close" for you. Closer than Tennesse anyway!
Grizz

you should go for it grizz. it's good to see hammockers getting together & having some hands on demo time.

Egads
09-07-2007, 22:31
If anyone is interested in hiking 16 mi from Davenport Gap to Max Patch Saturday please PM me.:)

Hooch
09-08-2007, 00:59
I'm probably out of the long hike (I'll probably do something shorter.), but will happily lend a hand with shuttling duty. I've got room for 3 in my car with plenty of room for day packs, hiking poles, etc. in the back. :D

headchange4u
09-10-2007, 10:12
I thought I would post some pics from the Yahoo Hammock Camping group. It's Youngblood's new winter tarp prototype that will be at the SEHHA. I have been thinking about a tarp like this for a while and I was really impressed when I saw Dave's version:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TARP1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TARP2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TARP3.jpg

A little bonus for those attending.

GrizzlyAdams
09-10-2007, 10:25
you know, with all the tarp talk that goes on in this forum, I'd always figured with my MacCat, 9x9 and now 12x12 SD and another big 10x14 sil tarp I've got, I had all the tarps I'd ever need, and I wouldn't be making one.

silly me, now there's the winter tarp, with very cool "doors". Cold dark winter nights coming, sewing room projects beckon.

this is a powerful disease, this DIY compulsion.

Grizz

headchange4u
09-10-2007, 12:46
this is a powerful disease, this DIY compulsion.

Grizz

My name is Jason and I am a DIY addict........

Looking at the tarp, the one thing that I might do differently is addressing how narrow the tarp is when fully closed. Slowhike mentioned that side tie outs would be an option to give you more room. I received my Grip Clips (http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/) in the mail the other day and they look like they are going to work well for adding side tie outs to my tarp. I bet they would work on a tarp like this also.

stoikurt
09-10-2007, 16:01
What do most people do for meals, other than the famed Hot Dog Cookout, at the upcoming SEHHA weekend?

cameronjreed
09-10-2007, 16:18
I won't be able to make it either. Although I was planning on attending some unforeseen circumstances have forced me to stay closer to home. I am going to try to do some hanging in Missouri that weekend, so I will be there in spirit! :)
I look forward to the next hangout and the people I will meet.
Maybe I will see if there is interest in a MidWest Hangout in northern Arkansas (Devils Den or Ozark Highland Trail) but I digress...
Have fun and I will see everyone at the next hang.

headchange4u
09-10-2007, 16:23
What do most people do for meals, other than the famed Hot Dog Cookout, at the upcoming SEHHA weekend?

I will bring a couple of FBC meals from home, but most of the time the group eats breakfast at the Mountain Grill and Bluff Mt. Outfitters is a 5 minute walk from the campsite and they have a good selection of food to choose from.

Hooch
09-10-2007, 16:56
What do most people do for meals, other than the famed Hot Dog Cookout, at the upcoming SEHHA weekend? Headchange is right, the Smoky Mountain Diner delivers good food, cheap and plentiful. It's a great place for most any meal. There are a couple more places, like the Paddler's Pub, in Hot Springs to eat as long as you don't mind spending a few extra bucks. HC is also correct in that Bluff Mountain outifitters is just a short stroll from the campground and has plenty of chow from which to choose. It's also a good place to pick up a snack for a day hike (hint,hint). Anyway, see y'all in Hot Springs on Friday! I'm going to try and be there early if I can get out of town at a decent hour. :D

Shadowmoss
09-10-2007, 17:07
A couple of us that I know of will be there Thursday. Hopefully we can get that site just across from the main campsite for Thursday nite. If anyone else is interested in meeting early, post here and we'll figure out how to hook up.

Frolicking Dino
09-10-2007, 17:52
No dinos this time - my mother is getting ready to have some major surgery so I'll be staying with them for a while.

Hooch
09-10-2007, 18:21
A couple of us that I know of will be there Thursday. Hopefully we can get that site just across from the main campsite for Thursday nite. If anyone else is interested in meeting early, post here and we'll figure out how to hook up. Shadowmoss, if you want a cool place to stay for the night on Thursday, check out Creek Ridge Campground (http://www.creekridgecamping.com)on the other side of Hot Springs. Tell the owners, Keith and Melissa, Jay sent you. :D

Nest
09-10-2007, 20:03
Shadowmoss, if you want a cool place to stay for the night on Thursday, check out Creek Ridge Campground (http://www.creekridgecamping.com)on the other side of Hot Springs. Tell the owners, Keith and Melissa, Jay sent you. :D

Looking at the website I like that place. It is $20 for one person, and $15/person for two. $14.50/person for three, and so on. Just $5 more than the campsites for the SEHHA, but the free firewood is a plus. I also like the little covered platforms at every campsite. I think a couple extra bucks isn't a problem and they have space available it would be nice. After all, we will spend the weekend at the other campground. Might as well see someting different.

I will be in Hot Springs around 8am on Thursday, so I will go to the campground that is chosen and find a site with enough hanging trees for the number of people that will be there early. If more people decide to some early we will arrange a way to meet up and get to the campsite.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

slowhike
09-10-2007, 20:25
Looking at the website I like that place. It is $20 for one person, and $15/person for two. $14.50/person for three, and so on. Just $5 more than the campsites for the SEHHA, but the free firewood is a plus. I also like the little covered platforms at every campsite. I think a couple extra bucks isn't a problem and they have space available it would be nice. After all, we will spend the weekend at the other campground. Might as well see someting different.

I will be in Hot Springs around 8am on Thursday, so I will go to the campground that is chosen and find a site with enough hanging trees for the number of people that will be there early. If more people decide to some early we will arrange a way to meet up and get to the campsite.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i don't know if ed has the group sight reserved for thurs. have you made contact w/ him?
but if he doesn't have that site reserved for thurs, there are plenty of other options.
it'll probably be 8 or 9pm fri until i can get there. ...tim

Shadowmoss
09-10-2007, 20:32
There is another campground in Hot Springs? I'm up for staying someplace else on Thursday. The issue is that we won't have cell service in Hot Springs, or at least I don't. I think Verizon did, but my Cingular didn't. So, I'll check out the link, and we'll have to meet someplace specific to find each other.

Hooch
09-10-2007, 20:33

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's a great little campground, pretty quiet, right on the creek and the owners are great folks! I've stayed there several times, it's my overnight escape when I want to just get away for the night sometimes. Being in Carolina always seems to make things better for me, no matter how tough things are. The camsites are down a trail, steep towards the end. It's a great place to stay, hope you guys like it. If I can get away Thursday, I may come a day ahead and meet y'all there.

Shadowmoss
09-10-2007, 20:39
Ok, I'm in for that place. The campground where the hang-out is works for the group, but it's not my kind a camping normally. This place does look cool.

We could meet Thursday afternoon (2ish?) at the ice cream shop? Or the outfitters? We'll have to figure out some kind of signature thing to wear to recognize each other. neo's boys laugh at me cause I always take a hammock into Fletcher's when we have the get-together so that folks will know who I am.

neo
09-10-2007, 20:53
i am never going to another hot springs hangout,the camp ground is a rip off.it cost me 30 bucks that weekend to stay at the groupcampsite,30 bucks for me and my 2 sons:cool: neo

Nest
09-10-2007, 21:22
Ok, I'm in for that place. The campground where the hang-out is works for the group, but it's not my kind a camping normally. This place does look cool.

We could meet Thursday afternoon (2ish?) at the ice cream shop? Or the outfitters? We'll have to figure out some kind of signature thing to wear to recognize each other. neo's boys laugh at me cause I always take a hammock into Fletcher's when we have the get-together so that folks will know who I am.

Ok, then the place Hooch mentioned it is. I will try to find somewhere with atleast 5 good hanging spots. I tend to be able to spend more time at outfitters, so how about meeting there. Anyone else plan on coming early post on this thread, and we can arrange ways to meet.

Hooch, if you do make it a day early I guess you can just ask what campsite I reserved. My name is Zachary Lawrence.

slowhike
09-10-2007, 21:24
i am never going to another hot springs hangout,the camp ground is a rip off.it cost me 30 bucks that weekend to stay at the groupcampsite,30 bucks for me and my 2 sons:cool: neo

$5.00 per night, per person...i don't think that's bad at all for a camp ground. & free hot dogs on sat eve.
sorry to hear that neo.
...tim

Hooch
09-10-2007, 22:26
Ok, then the place Hooch mentioned it is. I will try to find somewhere with atleast 5 good hanging spots. I tend to be able to spend more time at outfitters, so how about meeting there. Anyone else plan on coming early post on this thread, and we can arrange ways to meet.

Hooch, if you do make it a day early I guess you can just ask what campsite I reserved. My name is Zachary Lawrence. I'll shoot an e-mail to Keith and Melissa @ Creek Ridge. They have a good group spot that has plenty of shade and trees. Zach, I'll give 'em your name since it looks like you'll be showing up first. If they have any problem or questions, ask them to please call me, they've got the number. I'll see y'all in Hot Springs at the end of the week.

Hooch
09-10-2007, 22:37
O, it's done, I'll hear back from them in the morning. I reserved the large site on the far end of the creek, furthest away from the gear deck. That's the best site for more than a couple people. If you wnat to change things around Zach, go for it. I've already e-mailed them and gave them your name. See y'all there. I hope to be in before dinner, maybe earlier, depending on if HC rides with me or not.

Nest
09-10-2007, 23:10
O, it's done, I'll hear back from them in the morning. I reserved the large site on the far end of the creek, furthest away from the gear deck. That's the best site for more than a couple people. If you wnat to change things around Zach, go for it. I've already e-mailed them and gave them your name. See y'all there. I hope to be in before dinner, maybe earlier, depending on if HC rides with me or not.

So when I get there just give them my name, and tell them you talked to them?

You've been there, so I figure there won't be a need to change anything around. Sounds nice and secluded.

I'll be there no later than 8 am. Leaving my house around 3am. That's when I do all of my traveling. Makes me remember when I did a trip to a friends boot camp graduation from PI a few years ago. At 4 am even the cops are asleep. Did you know a Mercury Tracer can do 140 mph?(with a good tail wind)

Hooch
09-11-2007, 02:08
So when I get there just give them my name, and tell them you talked to them?

You've been there, so I figure there won't be a need to change anything around. Sounds nice and secluded.

I'll be there no later than 8 am. Leaving my house around 3am. That's when I do all of my traveling. Makes me remember when I did a trip to a friends boot camp graduation from PI a few years ago. At 4 am even the cops are asleep. Did you know a Mercury Tracer can do 140 mph?(with a good tail wind) Yeah, just tell them your name and tell them you talked to me. If there are any problems tell them to call me on my cell. They've got the number and I'll PM it to you. I'm not sure that they'll be up and at 'em just yet at 8am, but you can wait til they get in the office. Someone should usually be there no later than 9 or so. I'll let you know what they say after I talk to them. See y'all there!

Shadowmoss
09-11-2007, 09:06
Woot! I'll just head to the campground, then. If I see a hammock there, I'll know I'm in the right place :D . That way, if you want to go off hiking you don't have to be back at a certain time.

I should be there middle afternoon. I'll go set up camp and decide what I want to do, hike or hit Hot Springs or what.

Just for clarification to those following along, we are meeting Thursday afternoon/evening before the hang-out.

stoikurt
09-11-2007, 09:15
FD, sorry you guys won't be able to make it. It would have been nice to meet ya'll.

Peanut and I should be there around 5-6 PM Friday.

Hooch
09-11-2007, 16:11
Ok, for anyone who's headed down an Thursday, I just checked my e-mail and Melissa from Creek Ridge has confirmed the group site, called the Pavillion for us. Just see the nice folks @ Creek Ridge and tey've already got us set up. Please pack lightly and in backpacks since there is a hike in to the campsites. See y'all there! :D

Nest
09-11-2007, 16:27
Ok, for anyone who's headed down an Thursday, I just checked my e-mail and Melissa from Creek Ridge has confirmed the group site, called the Pavillion for us. Just see the nice folks @ Creek Ridge and tey've already got us set up. Please pack lightly and in backpacks since there is a hike in to the campsites. See y'all there! :D

When you say pack lightly, if I can strap my Honda generator and 15" plasma to my pack does that count?

Hooch
09-11-2007, 16:28
When you say pack lightly, if I can strap my Honda generator and 15" plasma to my pack does that count?If you count that as light, then you're a better man than I. :D

stoikurt
09-11-2007, 16:28
When you say pack lightly, if I can strap my Honda generator and 15" plasma to my pack does that count?

Would that be for the Florida/Tennesee game?:D

Hooch
09-11-2007, 16:31
I can respect your position, but I have to disagree with it. Five bucks per person per night with a free meal is a lot more than you get at any hotel and the view and company are a lot better. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I'll keep coming as long as there are hangouts. Sorry you'll miss out Neo. I'm sure you're always welcome back if you have a change of heart.

Nest
09-11-2007, 16:36
Would that be for the Florida/Tennesee game?:D

Actually it is for re-runs of Baywatch.

neo
09-11-2007, 21:14
$5.00 per night, per person...i don't think that's bad at all for a camp ground. & free hot dogs on sat eve.
sorry to hear that neo.
...tim

:) my hang out is at a free campground in a national park,its an awesome place and it is free:cool: neo

Hooch
09-12-2007, 07:50
:) my hang out is at a free campground in a national park,its an awesome place and it is free:cool: neo And that's cool, no problem with free here. Like most folks, I'm on a budget and a pretty doggone tight one at that. So, anything that is free, I seldom turn up. But, like I said, you still just about can't beat $5 night/person. Cheap is good too. :D Besides, the company and the view are more than worth the money. :D

Crawldaddy
09-12-2007, 09:24
Same as the last two times, I plan on a Sat morn visit. Some day I hope to do an overnigher. Always great meeting new folk and seeing their setups!

Frolicking Dino
09-12-2007, 10:28
A miracle has occurred. The mass in my mother's abdomen disappeared (docs are still shaking their heads, but we praying folks know why :D)

I am going to try to bring the fellows from my church that have hammocks and want to learn the tricks of staying warm and dry up for the day on Sat. Both have to be at church on Sunday - one plays guitar and the other helps lead kids' church. I'll see them tonight at church.

stoikurt
09-12-2007, 11:01
That's wonderful, FD. Looking forward to meeting you. And yes, we know why!

Shadowmoss
09-12-2007, 11:09
A miracle has occurred. The mass in my mother's abdomen disappeared (docs are still shaking their heads, but we praying folks know why :D)

Yeaaaaa!!! Looking forward to seeing you again.

Hooch
09-12-2007, 13:54
Always nice to see both the Dinos! I'm glad all went well with your Mom and hope you guys have a safe trip down.

Shadowmoss
09-12-2007, 13:57
I will have my 3 hammocks (HH Scout, EBay jungle, Treklight double) and a couple of bolts of material I got from WalMart to see if anyone can identify them. I will be checking out other's equipment to see what I want to make with my new sewing machine and afore mentioned material.

Hooch
09-12-2007, 16:54
For anyone showing up tomorrow with the "advance party" at Creek Ridge in Hot Springs tomorrow, I don't know what time y'all are palnning on arriving, but I plan on being there late afternoon/early evening. I should be in by 6 or so at the latest. I'd like to be there earlier, but I have to work tonight and need to nap at least a couple hours before I try and drive. I'm already packed, more or less, so just have to toss my stuff in the car and go. See y'all there. I hope everyone who comes to Hot Springs this weekend has a happy and safe trip, please drive safe!

slowhike
09-12-2007, 19:29
For anyone showing up tomorrow with the "advance party" at Creek Ridge in Hot Springs tomorrow, I don't know what time y'all are palnning on arriving, but I plan on being there late afternoon/early evening. I should be in by 6 or so at the latest. I'd like to be there earlier, but I have to work tonight and need to nap at least a couple hours before I try and drive. I'm already packed, more or less, so just have to toss my stuff in the car and go. See y'all there. I hope everyone who comes to Hot Springs this weekend has a happy and safe trip, please drive safe!

look forward to seeing you & the others there on fri eve!

slowhike
09-12-2007, 19:34

I am going to try to bring the fellows from my church that have hammocks and want to learn the tricks of staying warm and dry up for the day on Sat. Both have to be at church on Sunday - one plays guitar and the other helps lead kids' church. I'll see them tonight at church.

that's great news FD!!!
i'm not surprised about your mother's good news... it's not the 1st time the doctors had to scratch their heads in wonder<g>.
we'll look forward to seeing yall there.

slowhike
09-12-2007, 19:51
Same as the last two times, I plan on a Sat morn visit. Some day I hope to do an overnigher. Always great meeting new folk and seeing their setups!

hey CD, glad to hear you'll be coming by.

Hooch
09-13-2007, 11:21
Well, y'all, I'm on the road in just a few minutes, as soon as I get a couple last minute things together. For anyone who can't make it to Hot Springs, I'm sorry you won,'t be joining us for whatever reason, maybe next time. For anyone who is joining us there, I hope you have a pleasant and safe journey. Please drive carefully! :D

slowhike
09-13-2007, 17:02
i hope those going will be prepared for a chance of rain & cooler temps than we've seen in the south east in a while<g>.
sat night... upper 40s

Crawldaddy
09-15-2007, 16:39
Im taking the undeserved honor of giving the first report. I was able to visit the hangout for a couple hours this morn. I had to get back to Asheville to work.. ughhhh! Enjoyed the visit and meeting new faces. Ed S has a proto type tarp demoed which will sell like hot cakes I think. It was hard leaving. They seemed to be having a great time!

angrysparrow
09-15-2007, 17:54
Ed S has a proto type tarp demoed which will sell like hot cakes I think.

You should provide more details since you mentioned it...

Crawldaddy
09-15-2007, 20:52
yea.. reckon I should....

Frolicking Dino
09-16-2007, 05:32
Dinos went up yesterday. Crawldaddy, are you talking about Youngblood's new tarp design? If so, I echo your thought that they won't be able to produce them fast enough. I'll leave the description to those who understand these things better than I do, but here is a pic.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Youngbloodtarp.jpg

Crawldaddy
09-16-2007, 08:52
Perty aint it? Its a 10X11 "winter tarp" (so Im told) with the ends able to close up together in inclement weather.

Just Jeff
09-16-2007, 13:42
Dagnabbit - Miss one of these things and see what happens? New gear!

Judging from the picture, that's an outstanding system - versatile for use in many weather conditions and probably not much heavier than a standard tarp. Good job to Youngblood...did they say when they're gonna market it?

jlb2012
09-16-2007, 13:54
seems similar to JRB prototype tarps seen at the Grayson Highlands winter trip - whatever happened to those - they never showed up as products on the JRB site?

schrochem
09-16-2007, 14:08
there are more pics on the yahoo group
http://tinyurl.com/24gn3u

slowhike
09-16-2007, 19:41
it was indeed another great hammock camp out!
i believe we had 10 hammockers the 1st night & 19 the 2nd!
i got to meet a lot of new folks & folks that i felt like i already knew from HF, as well as talking to old friends.
sorry for all those who would have liked to have been there but weren't able to make it. i hope yall can make the next one.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P9150015.JPG

four of us did a day hike on sat.... hooch made my calves sore:eek:

the low sat was 50&#176;f. great sleeping weather!

i added a few shots of the new tarp that dave (youngblood) has been working on in the tarp gallery.
i think they have a winner!!! and i don't think it will be long till we see it available.
here's one shot
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P9150026.JPG
i'll start a new thread to discuss it.

Hooch
09-17-2007, 07:51
Ok, I'm home and ready to spill my guts! This is my story and I'm stickin to it. :D The Spetember SEHHA Hangout, now being history, was a blast and very well attended. Plenty of folks there the first night and even more the second. There were plenty of good people and good times. Shadowmoss, Cerberus and I met Thursday at Creek Ridge (http://www.creekridgecamping.com/) to stay the night. We had a nice quiet hang and were greeted by plenty of rain early Friday morning. I think all 3 of us spent too much time in our hammocks wondering when the others were going to get up. It rained most of Friday, but the weather on Saturday couldn't have been any better if we'd custom ordered it. Slowhike, Stoikurt, Cerberus and I had a great day hike up Deer Park Mountain to the shelter on the AT and back to town. I jokingly asket Slowhike if I could change my name to "Slowerhike". I sucked wind all the way up the mountain, but loved every step of it. Thanks for a great hike, guys! Anyway, as usual, it was a great weekend. Youngblood's new winter tarp is awesome. Then again, I don't think I've seen a piece of gear that Youngblood cranked out that wasn't totally cool.

Plenty of folks showed up for this one, Ed and Karen, Slowhike, Cerberus, myself, Shadowmoss, Youngblood, Seuss, Mixinmaster, Stoikurt, Peanuts, Marta and her Hubby and SGT Rock and his Troops. I hope I haven't left anyone out. Saturday brought a couple day visitors in the form of the Dinos and Crawldaddy. On a side note, it's always a distinct pleasure to see the Dinos, good to see both of them doing well. Crawldaddy, you're going to have to make it a point to stay with us some time.

Hope to see y'all at the next hangout in the spring or possibly at the HF Winter Hangout. Those who couldn't make it were missed, those who were in attendance, thanks for a great time! :D

NCPatrick
09-17-2007, 08:07
Sounds like fun Hooch. Wish I could have been there. Maybe next time.

Hooch
09-17-2007, 08:10
Sounds like fun Hooch. Wish I could have been there. Maybe next time. I hope so, too. Hope your wifey had a Happy Birthday!

headchange4u
09-17-2007, 09:07
Sorry I missed this one. I had planned on being there Saturday, but some personal issues kept me from attending.

Hooch
09-17-2007, 11:07
Sorry I missed this one. I had planned on being there Saturday, but some personal issues kept me from attending.Don't sweat it, HC. There's always the Gorge. Which, of course, I'm sure is much more pleasant now that the temperature is pretty much going to stay below the inferno level. Let me know if you want to go sometime.

neo
09-17-2007, 12:34
did anybody take any pictures besides slowhike:cool: neo

NCPatrick
09-17-2007, 12:45
Yeah, where are those pictures?

Hooch, were you warm enough? Did Ed let you use a Snugfit or PeaPod this time?

Hooch
09-17-2007, 17:00
Yeah, where are those pictures?

Hooch, were you warm enough? Did Ed let you use a Snugfit or PeaPod this time?
Personally, I took almost no pictures. I was too busy having a good time that I almost totally forgot about my camera while I was there. I think I got a couple though.

As far as warmth is concerned, I used my sleeping bag as a quilt with no bottom insulation on Thursday and Friday nights and was very comfortable. Saturday night, I started in my sleeping bag, unzipped with a Ridge Rest CCF pad. I got a little cool around 0100 and zipped up after that. I got a little cool again around 0530 and added a watchcap and was fine again. I didn't use a SnugFit this time. I'm slowly, but surely saving for one, though. It may take me a little while, but I'll get it. :D

stoikurt
09-18-2007, 08:48
I did take a few pics but won't be able to post them till Thursday or Friday.

seuss
09-18-2007, 10:25
I did take a few pics but won't be able to post them till Thursday or Friday.

I believe you.

Stoikurt busily working the camera (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1679)

neo
09-18-2007, 14:46
I believe you.

Stoikurt busily working the camera (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1679)

:) great pics seuss:cool: neo