PDA

View Full Version : Banyan Bridge Hammock now available

Dutch
03-16-2020, 07:55
Hey we released out Banyan Bridge hammock. We still have more accessories to develop for it but it is a modular system like the Chameleon. You can change the tops and customize it to make it your own. These are made by Dutchware and of course Made in the USA Here is the usual vid and link...
https://dutchwaregear.com/product/banyan-bridge-complete/#banyan-bridge-body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8K50h6fUaU

MrPickl
03-16-2020, 08:08
Way to Go brother... I'm glad to see this.

infrastellar
03-16-2020, 08:55
Nice !! Sure you have one of those to land it here in Slovakia to roam the spring carphatian forests ;)

Would be nice to know if my carbon spreader bars /ridgerunner/ and lynx underquilt fit this hammock.

Loki
03-16-2020, 09:02
Awesome Dutch.
And,easy on the eyes.
Love the Banyan Bridge Hammock modularity. Oh yeah...
No, really!

durunner
03-16-2020, 09:07
Nice! Love the ridgelines. If I ever buy hammock #7, this will be it. Where did you film at? Looks like a great place to hang on a summer day and I am not too far from you guys.

HandyRandy
03-16-2020, 09:12
Might as well start selling the carbon fiber pole upgrade too, right?

juanchoman
03-16-2020, 09:27
Wider than the RR? I hope yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spiguyver
03-16-2020, 09:32
Here is my video on this hammock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brrQmr4JQpk

IrishSitter
03-16-2020, 10:54
Looks good! Curious to see how these will work with pads.

Spiguyver
03-16-2020, 10:57
Looks good! Curious to see how these will work with pads.

Since it's single layer you have to put the pad inside. I did try it with my Exped Downmat Winter, which is 3-4 inches thick. I can say it's doable, and makes it even flatter of a lay, however, it does make it more unstable because your body weight is higher.

Us5Camp
03-16-2020, 11:04
I've been on the fence w/ Bridge's for a while now.. It's great to see another option!! I like what I see here.

IF this can take all my 78" UQ's (even w/ some fidling / adjusting of suspension), it would be great! I was considering purchase of a double layer to better facilitate use of a pad if needed or for experiments in getting tuned-in....

any thoughts from the group on conventional UQ's w/ this (other) bridges?

Thoughts from Dutch on future of offering a double layer bridge?

Thanks all !

Spiguyver
03-16-2020, 11:09
I've been on the fence w/ Bridge's for a while now.. It's great to see another option!! I like what I see here.

IF this can take all my 78" UQ's (even w/ some fidling / adjusting of suspension), it would be great! I was considering purchase of a double layer to better facilitate use of a pad if needed or for experiments in getting tuned-in....

any thoughts from the group on conventional UQ's w/ this (other) bridges?

Thoughts from Dutch on future of offering a double layer bridge?

Thanks all !

Watch my video, I show how I use a standard UQ on it. I show how easy it is using the corner hardware this one has.

Us5Camp
03-16-2020, 11:13
Watch my video, I show how I use a standard UQ on it. I show how easy it is using the corner hardware this one has.

Thanks Spiguyver -- I did watch it... it was great, encouraging news... Looks like you had a UGQ, which I have a few... along w/ others (HG, Warbonnet, etc).

Might have to pull the trigger on this one!?!?!

TrailSlug
03-16-2020, 12:35
Will the Warbonnet bridge hammock specific quilts fit this hammock?

Tyroler Holzhacker
03-16-2020, 12:56
Looks good. I wonder if Dutchware gear will make a bridge hammock that can handle 350 lbs..I just prefer to have a hammock that is overbuilt just because I am close to the 250 mark and I prefer a bit of a safety margin.

Burg54
03-16-2020, 16:08
Looks good. I wonder if Dutchware gear will make a bridge hammock that can handle 350 lbs..I just prefer to have a hammock that is overbuilt just because I am close to the 250 mark and I prefer a bit of a safety margin.

I have been hoping that a bridge from Dutch would accommodate a larger weight. I'd like to see 350-400lb limit, personally. I have never really been clear on the reason for bridge hammocks and their low weight ratings. I believe the limitation is the spreader bars, but I am certain. I have also had two Chameleon zippers break on me so I wish the zipper on this was more...robust.

Hangtx
03-16-2020, 16:17
That looks super cool love the quick change tops and dual ridge lines. Any plans for a two layer?

tollermama
03-16-2020, 17:40
Here is my video on this hammock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brrQmr4JQpk

Hi Spiguyver-- What color is that banyan hammock, I love it.

Dutch
03-16-2020, 19:45
I have been hoping that a bridge from Dutch would accommodate a larger weight. I'd like to see 350-400lb limit, personally. I have never really been clear on the reason for bridge hammocks and their low weight ratings. I believe the limitation is the spreader bars, but I am certain. I have also had two Chameleon zippers break on me so I wish the zipper on this was more...robust.

We switched to YKK zippers and believe me they are more robust and expensive. However it is worth it. I don't think we have had one bust yet. For the higher weight limit, it isn't the weight as much as it is the size of the occupant. I would highly recommend checking out Bill Townsend's big boy bridge. I have another bridge design coming down the road but the Banyan took me like a year to get out of development.

Dutch
03-16-2020, 19:49
That looks super cool love the quick change tops and dual ridge lines. Any plans for a two layer?
We are working on double layer, zip on side sling, UQP and even a quilt. We are a small shop and the initial offerings are really going to push us to be able to keep up.

tollermama
03-16-2020, 19:53
Hey Dutch,

what is the hammock color in the video that Spiguyver did? I love it.

Spiguyver
03-16-2020, 19:55
Hi Spiguyver-- What color is that banyan hammock, I love it.

Olive Yellow.

Spiguyver
03-16-2020, 19:56
We are working on double layer, zip on side sling, UQP and even a quilt. We are a small shop and the initial offerings are really going to push us to be able to keep up.

Awesome stuff Dutch!

Spiguyver
03-16-2020, 19:57
Hey Dutch,

Olive Yellow! Cool color!

Burg54
03-16-2020, 20:01
We switched to YKK zippers and believe me they are more robust and expensive. However it is worth it. I don't think we have had one bust yet. For the higher weight limit, it isn't the weight as much as it is the size of the occupant. I would highly recommend checking out Bill Townsend's big boy bridge. I have another bridge design coming down the road but the Banyan took me like a year to get out of development.

Wow, didn't realize that you had addressed the zippers. Great to hear about the change! I loved my Chameleon until the zipper rendered it unfixable/useless (it was a catastrophic break that would cost more to fix than replace). The zipper was, in my humble opinion, the only weak spot I found. It really is a great piece of kit. I Love your gear and this Banyan looks like a another major win for Dutchware and the hammock community!

(look forward to seeing your new bridge design later...keeping my fingers crossed for an XL version for us Clydesdales).

Dutch
03-16-2020, 20:29
Hey Dutch,

Olive Yellow.
Actually it is olive green.

grubbster
03-17-2020, 06:32
What is the distance between where the dogbones come together? Looking to see what size tarp is going to be needed to completely cover it.

Rex Clifton
03-17-2020, 06:54
Man, this thing looks sweet, but I'm gonna wait until I can order with a double layer option. IMHO, single layer 1.6.is too stretchy. A double layer 1.1 would be perfect!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Spiguyver
03-17-2020, 08:59
Actually it is olive green.

I was close, sort of! haha

Benjamin6264
03-17-2020, 10:23

Would also be curious to know this.

Dutch
03-17-2020, 11:27

Would also be curious to know this.
It does, the thick bands of the lynx don't completely fit in the slot of the corner hardware however the go in most of the way. I love my lynx quilt. We have a prototype of an UQ but we aren't set up yet for quilt manufacturing.

robfishman
03-17-2020, 19:24
I’m sold Dutch. I’ll be ordering one in a couple weeks, after pay day. What is the lead time on these with all the current craziness?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeighborhoodNinja
03-17-2020, 20:52
Really hoping for one that is wider than the ridgerunner. I bought one a ridgerunner, got in it and realized my shoulders are too wide. The big guy bridge is nice but i dont like bug nets that dont zip on. Hopefully there will be a wide version of this bridge from dutch that is actually wide enough for me.

Dutch
03-17-2020, 21:16
I have something in the works but it will be some time.

Just Bill
03-18-2020, 09:02

Really hoping for one that is wider than the ridgerunner. I bought one a ridgerunner, got in it and realized my shoulders are too wide. The big guy bridge is nice but i dont like bug nets that dont zip on. Hopefully there will be a wide version of this bridge from dutch that is actually wide enough for me.

See above... and connect some dots.
Dutch is one of the most experienced out there with zippers, nets, and accessories related to hammocks in general.

I think many people misunderstand/underestimate how easily load can end up on a zipper in a hammock... start mixing that in with folks past 200lbs and failures are inevitable in my opinion.

I worked outdoor retail for some time, including time with The North Face. Zipper failure is one of the highest reasons for a return out there and that is for non-loadbearing construction in tent panels, sleeping gear and apparel. Zippers are simply not that rugged unless you go nuts and they are very prone to 'operator error' if you'd like to be polite about it.

Overall I have a gear philosophy that leans towards backpacking with an UL emphasis.
1-We don't want stuff to fail in the field.
2-We don't want to overengineer out every failure.
3-We don't want to cross into 'stupid light' where gear is no longer robust enough to accomplish it's purpose. If you do chose to push a bit with lighter components- If it can fail, it should ideally be field repairable, or at worst be able to limp by without losing it's core function.

Eliminating zippers solves multiple problems for me.
1-eliminate a component that not only fails, but has a low or zero probability of a field repair.
2-A number #8 zipper might do the job... but it nearly doubles the weight of my stuff. #3 is too light, #5 isn't exactly just right.
3-I reduce weight of the finished product without compromise of it's purpose. The net keeps bugs out.

As you note- 'Town repair' isn't always practical either or cost effective. I watched many high dollar tents and bags turn into garbage over that issue.
I've also watched products 'feature creep' in both weight and ultimately cost. Watching out for a customer's bottom line is always something to consider. Watching the weight only applies to UL gear true, but technically that is my chosen niche to occupy. Dutch is big enough he can dip his toe into a few different pools.

I do understand that integrated net hammocks more or less turned into a 'thing'. But in much the same way 250lbs doesn't have to be the upper limit for a bridge... hammocks don't have to have a zipper.

Vendors do eventually do what folks want... but I note many who discuss bridge hammocks as 'too heavy'.

"Light, cheap, durable- pick two." Is a common answer. So if you want affordable and durable- a heavy zipper is pretty much required and directly answers the 'too heavy' issue.
Course I believe you can pick three if you get creative, but that tends to mean a concession in another area.

I'm not trying to convince anyone or hijack the thread. I believe in being honest as well as balanced.
In addition I think it makes sense to see if your philosophy matches the vendor's you are shopping with. The further outside a personal comfort zone a designer gets... the less they are able to offer a quality piece of kit.

Much like the chameleon... for those who want one product that does a good job of being a 'one size fits most' design, and gets you into the field- not a bad bridge at all.
I'm sure this will hit many a sweet spot fer those looking for a bridge- but no product hits them all. Anything that tries to 'swiss army' itself into doing everyjob just ends up sucking at everything.
Appreciate stuff for what it is.

Dutch-

Congrats on launching your bridge.
Consolations on the ****** timing.

TominMN
03-18-2020, 13:27
Trivial point but the green tabs seem a bit redundant... :confused:

scrope
03-18-2020, 19:00
I'm very happy to see another entry into the bridge hammock options. Personally I have a RR, an REI Air, and a DIY one. I like them all for their different advantages but the RR is the one I use 95% of the time now.

This new one has some very nice features. I like the customizability, probably the best feature in my opinion. The hangers for the UQ in the spreader bar attachment looks great. Color choices is very cool, probably the second best feature in my opinion (or tied for first). Having more D-rings for attachments is nice. I suppose the dual ridge lines are nice but I've never felt closed in by the single line on the RR but more interior room is always good.

Things I'm not sold on is a similarly configured RR is $185 and this one is $274. I love my RR saddle bags but maybe the various add-ons for storage would be OK. The RR has 2 saddle bags with a small and large "compartment" in each. Also at the foot and head are places to store additional gear.

I think that for the moment I'll just stick with my 3 bridges and 6-7 GE hammocks. I'll be interested in people's comparisons with other bridge hammocks as this gets out into more people's hands. I think this hammock will sell very well. Let us know how it compares.

HangFan
04-05-2020, 14:45
+3 or so on the fat guy version!

WaffleBox
04-15-2020, 16:56

Any idea on the timing of the double layer? Obviously hard to predict given the world we’re in, but do you expect it to be a looooong time or less than a looooong time?

Dutch
04-15-2020, 18:14
Any idea on the timing of the double layer? Obviously hard to predict given the world we’re in, but do you expect it to be a looooong time or less than a looooong time?

Banyans are backed up. The week we released it is the week the world crashed. So more than any other product, their is long list of them. We have to get through that list and right now almost all of our manufacturing capability is going to make PPE for the local hospital. I'm going to say looong time.

Dutch

JoshForthteller
04-18-2020, 03:55
The obvious comparison is with the ridgerunner but one difference that is actually a pretty big deal is that the banyan is 10" shorter than the ridgerunner. I had to email Dutch to find out and I was mostly curious but was very surprised that this wasn't highlighted or advertised in any way. He said 146" from ends of triangles. This means 12' tarps would be almost perfect with the banyan. I ended up going with a ridgerunner for now because mosquitoes love me too much so wanted a DL and the saddlebags were so appealing. Also they ran a 20% sale so my back account made a big portion of the decision. Regardless though I want to pick up a banyan once this COVID-19 stuff dies down and I get regular work again. Who know how long until I can swing that though :(

cap624
04-18-2020, 16:16
... almost all of our manufacturing capability is going to make PPE for the local hospital. Dutch

Thank you for your service!!!

Spiguyver
04-25-2020, 18:21
Here's a new one for you with my current upgrades and answers to several questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUoQ5aJQW4k