PDA

View Full Version : Whoopie Hook with 1/8” Amsteel

Traveling Man
03-24-2020, 12:41
Putting together new suspension. I got some whoopie hooks & new straps and planned to use 1/8” for both my CL and Whoopie Sling. I just realized the only way it works is to put the whoopie hook on the CL between the bury ends (where it’s a single thickness). Any issues or experience with 1/8”? Before anyone gets carried away with the “7/64 is more than enough” - I’ll just say I had a CL failure once (from another manufacturer NOT Dutchware) already and just prefer to go with the thicker Amsteel. I’m a larger human and toss/turn thru the night so I like the idea of extra strength.

Dutch
03-24-2020, 14:46
Putting together new suspension. I got some whoopie hooks & new straps and planned to use 1/8” for both my CL and Whoopie Sling. I just realized the only way it works is to put the whoopie hook on the CL between the bury ends (where it’s a single thickness). Any issues or experience with 1/8”? Before anyone gets carried away with the “7/64 is more than enough” - I’ll just say I had a CL failure once (from another manufacturer NOT Dutchware) already and just prefer to go with the thicker Amsteel. I’m a larger human and toss/turn thru the night so I like the idea of extra strength.

Did that loop fail because it got cut or was it just not spliced correctly? I am only 230 but I would trust 7/64 to a pretty high weight unless I didn't care about the weight if the suspension..

preach
03-24-2020, 15:03
What weight limits would you trust for 7/64 Amsteel CL and Whoopie slings? I ask because I am 320 and looking to tryout a whoopie sling and straps for my suspension.

Traveling Man
03-24-2020, 15:06
Did that loop fail because it got cut or was it just not spliced correctly? I am only 230 but I would trust 7/64 to a pretty high weight unless I didn't care about the weight if the suspension..

Cordage failure - nowhere near the splice or the contact point with the whoopie. It wasn’t one of yours. It came with my hammock. Surprised the heck out of me. I vary between 240-265 depending on my habits.

Dutch
03-24-2020, 20:46
What weight limits would you trust for 7/64 Amsteel CL and Whoopie slings? I ask because I am 320 and looking to tryout a whoopie sling and straps for my suspension.

I would trust 7/64th to 350. If weight of the suspension didn't matter then I thin go with 1/8th and it will never wear out.

brutalguyracing
03-25-2020, 09:44
Just my .02
I have been using 7/64 cl from.dutch for well over a 100 hangs and I am 280lbs

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JPCPAT
03-27-2020, 23:34
I'll join the group surprised about 7/64 failing. Doesn't matter if you're a big guy, most hammocks would fail before the whoopies. Still, if 1/8 makes you sleep easier, then I say go for it.

I just made a pair out of 1/8 because I wasn't looking carefully when I clicked. 1/8 is a tighter weave then 7/64, but still doable: Probably a snap with a fid, but not the only way. I tapered first and used a loop of wire (and a little persuasion) to pull it through. A properly tapered brummel splice is a beautiful thing, so it's worth the effort!

Not sure why it only works on the CL? I've put the hook on the whoopie's fixed loop and the adjustable loop; Works great.