PDA

View Full Version : SLD Trail Winder

rweb82
03-28-2020, 07:42
I just ordered a 40° Trail Winder and a sandwich from Jimmy Johns. We'll see which one gets delivered first. [emoji12]

In all seriousness, I am truly amazed at Jared's turnaround time. I placed my order yesterday afternoon, and woke up this morning to a "your order is on its way" email.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

ObdewlaX
03-28-2020, 09:50
I've got a 40° Trail Winder & it's a great piece of gear!

rweb82
03-28-2020, 14:49
I'm looking forward to it!

Saltfly
03-28-2020, 21:29
I have the 40 asym, and a 20 full width symmetrical quilts from Jared. Also a bunch of other goodies. The trail winder is a great quilt. There isn’t another quilt that easy to set up. Not to mention I have yet to find a quilt that allows for as much diagonal lay as the TW. You’re gonna dig it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nameth
03-29-2020, 17:56
I just ordered a 40° Trail Winder and a sandwich from Jimmy Johns. We'll see which one gets delivered first. [emoji12]

In all seriousness, I am truly amazed at Jared's turnaround time. I placed my order yesterday afternoon, and woke up this morning to a "your order is on its way" email.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using TapatalkHahaaa! " 'Freaky Fast' is too slow, we'll have to go straight to Ludacris Speed" -Spaceballs

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

rweb82
03-29-2020, 17:58
Hahaaa! " 'Freaky Fast' is too slow, we'll have to go straight to Ludacris Speed" -Spaceballs

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk"They've gone to plaid!"

PlusOne
03-30-2020, 12:05
I was just looking at his site. I guess that's the benefit of being a true cottage business. BTW: I've owned a 40 degree TrailWinder since last summer and have yet to use it. I can't wait!!!

rweb82
03-30-2020, 12:37
My Trail Winder got delivered today. So for reference, I ordered on Friday afternoon, receive shipping notice when I wake up on Saturday, quilt delivered before noon on Monday. That is amazing for a quality piece of made-to-order gear!

Now I have to figure out a way to stay focused at work, and not think about trying out the new kit.

ShortRound
03-30-2020, 19:10
Welcome to SLD & the trail winder users. Great uq that iv'e ever used ..so simple & ez

rweb82
03-30-2020, 22:19
Welcome to SLD & the trail winder users. Great uq that iv'e ever used ..so simple & ezThank you! I can't wait to set it up and test it out.

Baka Dasai
03-31-2020, 00:51
I have a 20 deg Trail Winder, and much prefer it to my other UQ (Hammock Gear 40 deg).

It's easier to install, and there's no gaps.

It's similar to a Warbonnet Wooki, but synthetic. A superior design to normal UQs.

All UQs should be like this.

I'd like Jared to make a down version.

Actually, every UQ maker should make a version of this UQ.

rweb82
03-31-2020, 08:40
I did notice that it looks like Jared has redesigned the suspension a bit, compared to the videos I've seen from Shortround and Chesapeake. Mine only has shock cord on one end, with a lineloc 3 for length adjustment. The lineloc is girth-hitched to a separate loope of non-elastic cord- with the carabiner attached to that loop. The foot end just has a non-elastic loop running through the end channel- no shock cord.

I'm not sure how having one non-elastic side will affect how this quilt performs; but I'm sure Jared has thoroughly tested the design. Having the lineloc/shock cord on the head-end probably makes it easier to adjust the quilt for stacking purposes.

rweb82
04-01-2020, 08:04
Received my TW on Monday, and got a chance to do a quick set up yesterday at the local park. This is a very nice piece of gear! It sets up easily, and the insulation is placed perfectly. I am also impressed with the overall weight and compressibility of the quilt- as it is synthetic. It still compresses very well compared to my down UQs. The only thing I wish is that the foot end had the elastic suspension like the head end. That said, Jared is sending another shock cord suspension so I can swap it out. Awesome service!

I'm looking forward to spending a night with it. However, I have to figure out where to go, as all of the local spots are closed due to the shutdown order.

Here's the quilt set up on my Dream Hammock Darien (as you can tell, I am a fan of Dark Olive!) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200401/cda0de805d6a87e2a519e21d4f8e4a8a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200401/a685df58dbacfc576d2b562f267d37a9.jpg

ShortRound
04-01-2020, 22:49
Received my TW on Monday, and got a chance to do a quick set up yesterday at the local park. This is a very nice piece of gear! It sets up easily, and the insulation is placed perfectly. I am also impressed with the overall weight and compressibility of the quilt- as it is synthetic. It still compresses very well compared to my down UQs. The only thing I wish is that the foot end had the elastic suspension like the head end. That said, Jared is sending another shock cord suspension so I can swap it out. Awesome service!

I'm looking forward to spending a night with it. However, I have to figure out where to go, as all of the local spots are closed due to the shutdown order.

Here's the quilt set up on my Dream Hammock Darien (as you can tell, I am a fan of Dark Olive!) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200401/cda0de805d6a87e2a519e21d4f8e4a8a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200401/a685df58dbacfc576d2b562f267d37a9.jpg

Wow ! That looks great! Yeah i had some of the first trail winders in production with the shock cord ends that were dialed & ready to hang. My buddy papa techie got the version with what you explained...like an adjustable end. I only use 11' hammocks regular widths so i never needed to set different length adjustments. Yes this product is so sweet & underated

rweb82
04-02-2020, 07:21
Wow ! That looks great! Yeah i had some of the first trail winders in production with the shock cord ends that were dialed & ready to hang. My buddy papa techie got the version with what you explained...like an adjustable end. I only use 11' hammocks regular widths so i never needed to set different length adjustments. Yes this product is so sweet & underatedAll of my hammocks are 11 footers as well. How long are your shock cord suspension loops coming off each end?

Nameth
04-03-2020, 06:31
I received my 9ft Trail Winder in all Woodland Camo about two months ago. Mine has the same suspension as yours rweb. It's an awesome looking UQ. I haven't really had the time to mess around with it too much, but I've found it to be anything but the "easy peasy, plug-n-play" that I've read. I'm sure I'll get it snugged up eventually, but I can't help but wonder if the older suspension, or a longer, hammock length 11 foot TW would be better.

rweb82
04-03-2020, 07:26
I received my 9ft Trail Winder in all Woodland Camo about two months ago. Mine has the same suspension as yours rweb. It's an awesome looking UQ. I haven't really had the time to mess around with it too much, but I've found it to be anything but the "easy peasy, plug-n-play" that I've read. I'm sure I'll get it snugged up eventually, but I can't help but wonder if the older suspension, or a longer, hammock length 11 foot TW would be better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using TapatalkI played around with it a bit more yesterday, and got it pretty much dialed in. The issue I ran into is that because there is no elasticity on the foot end side, the mini carabiner cannot handle the stress under load, and the wire gate pops open when I get in the hammock. Once I get the second shock cord suspension from Jared, it should be plug-n-play.

Fishbite
04-03-2020, 08:56
I did the opposite when I dialed mine in. I loosened the shock cord side and the other side (untied the knot) about the same amount. Then I kept getting in, checked the distance underneath with my hand, and get out and then shorten the cords. I did this until the UQ was just barely touching. So far barely touching seems to work the best in staying warm. I figure my shock cord only supports the weight of the underquilt and barely any hammock weight.

Fishbite
04-03-2020, 08:58
I should mention I really like the UQ overall! I did add tie outs to attach my UQ to my hammock at the feet and shoulder to help keep everything in place when I get in and out, but they are not needed.

rweb82
04-03-2020, 09:02
I did the opposite when I dialed mine in. I loosened the shock cord side and the other side (untied the knot) about the same amount. Then I kept getting in, checked the distance underneath with my hand, and get out and then shorten the cords. I did this until the UQ was just barely touching. So far barely touching seems to work the best in staying warm. I figure my shock cord only supports the weight of the underquilt and barely any hammock weight.

I do agree that the least amount of loading from above is probably the best approach with this quilt. What I did yesterday is loosen the side channel next to my legs, but cinch the one next to my shoulder a little more. That helped keep the quilt positioned against my shoulder, while allowing my feet to spread out the hammock.

Fishbite
04-03-2020, 10:36
That is a great idea, I will try that, thanks!

ShortRound
04-03-2020, 19:11
All of my hammocks are 11 footers as well. How long are your shock cord suspension loops coming off each end?

On my setup right now stretched out it measured 9" . So i'd say 8" shock cord loops un stretched

rweb82
04-03-2020, 20:32
On my setup right now stretched out it measured 9" . So i'd say 8" shock cord loops un stretchedThanks!

ShortRound
04-04-2020, 09:01
Thanks!

This should get you right. For all my trail winders i literally hang them & don't have to touch them. I kind of wish jared didn't make them with an adjustable end but at the time many people thought the trail winder was just something to supplement with an existing uq....not realizing it is a uq hahahaha.

Johnwesley
04-04-2020, 09:21
Your vids helped convince me to get one, I’m sure I only watched it about 10 times. Says mine should be here Monday. So funny I ordered a new bug net for my bbxlc 3 days before the TW and it’s just 1 day different in delivery. When the Colorado package shipped 2 days earlier. I have no idea how Jared gets his packages to ship so quick from ship date to delivery date. Went with the camo version in a 40*

rweb82
04-04-2020, 09:38
This should get you right. For all my trail winders i literally hang them & don't have to touch them. I kind of wish jared didn't make them with an adjustable end but at the time many people thought the trail winder was just something to supplement with an existing uq....not realizing it is a uq hahahaha.I get what you mean. With hammock camping- where hardly anything is simplistic, it's nice to have at least one piece of gear that you don't need to fiddle with. Jared did send me another adjustable suspension end, so now both sides are elastic. My plan is to set it where I want it, and then just leave it there. Although I will use it to supplement my 20° UQ in deep winter, so having the added adjustability will be helpful.

preach
04-04-2020, 11:21
I like it and all, but my shock cord suspension broke and since I am an newbie I am trying to figure out now how to fix it. It came apart at the head end, and I don't know how to rig it. Contact Jared.

Nameth
04-04-2020, 22:52
Broke out my wife's Trail Lair for a quick late afternoon nap when I got home from work today. Got the Trail Winder dialed in as well. Instead of adding more, or longer, shock cord/loops, I extended the head end adjustment all the way out, and retied the foot/fixed end knot so that it left about 1.5in tail on each end. The UQ was then hanging loosely below the hammock as described earlier, climbed in and just barely cinched the quilt sides up as also described in an earlier post.

Edit: last pic is a before, must've deleted the after pic. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200405/dc4b9423ee84cfb9b033da041425d352.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200405/9df5b3f6d695dd615ddbb6fc59b86bd0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200405/7b0814ebd8741e7fc0e63dc916b68ec9.jpg

rweb82
04-07-2020, 07:40
I was able to get out to the local park and test Trail Winder for a bit, with both shock-corded ends. it was super easy to get dialed in, and it was very comfortable and warm. Temps were right at 40*, and I laid in the hammock for over an hour- with no chills or cold spots. I even received a visit from a local police officer. He was very friendly, and assured me that I wasn't doing anything wrong, and was practicing good social distancing. He just wanted to make sure I was ok and not homeless, lol! He was also interested in my setup, and asked a bunch of questions about my hammock and quilts. He said he likes to camp, and had been considering getting a hammock to try out.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200407/2bc1d08f1bee029c56602c01c2c353ee.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200407/374f1270bf181c0697633cb9c8e24a1f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200407/f938be01befc2950dc017a9b0c69b7f6.jpg

ShortRound
04-07-2020, 07:49
Very
Nice!

Loonatic
04-11-2020, 09:39
This UQ has many amazing qualities.

A) The asym is very light due to only putting insulation where you need it, and not where you don't. Compared to a 40 F Hammock Gear Econ full length UQ, this is 100 grams lighter (and my TW is a 10 footer).
B) Easier to get dialed in than most other underquilts I have tried.
C) Stays in place better than most other UQ I have tried.
D) Easier to care for and wash than a down UQ.
5) Low cost leader for cottage products.
6) Quickest delivery you can get.
7) High quality craftsmanship.

ShortRound
04-12-2020, 10:30
Preach the word!

michigandave
04-12-2020, 10:59
Preach the word!Amen!

JollyRoger70
04-12-2020, 21:31
I have the 10* version of this UQ (or is it technically a UQP?), and I just love it. Adjustment has been pretty minimal for me, since my hammock is an SLD Trail Lair (I assume that’s more or less what Jared was using as the model hammock when he designed the Trail Winder), but I did find that cinching in the side elastics has helped keep it good and tight. Now I just need to make sure I don’t sit in just the UQ some night — in retrospect, perhaps getting it in the same color as my hammock wasn’t my best ever idea, though I really do like that shade of blue :-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShortRound
04-13-2020, 22:32
Amen!

Happy 2020 MI Dave! Stay safe out there

ShortRound
04-13-2020, 22:35
I have the 10* version of this UQ (or is it technically a UQP?), and I just love it. Adjustment has been pretty minimal for me, since my hammock is an SLD Trail Lair (I assume that’s more or less what Jared was using as the model hammock when he designed the Trail Winder), but I did find that cinching in the side elastics has helped keep it good and tight. Now I just need to make sure I don’t sit in just the UQ some night — in retrospect, perhaps getting it in the same color as my hammock wasn’t my best ever idea, though I really do like that shade of blue :-).

Yeah i got the most obnoxious contrasting colors to insure that never happens hahahahaha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tpatter
11-02-2020, 23:29
Recently got an asymmetric APEX 6.0 (20 degree) Trail Winder in Moroccan blue. Quite a nice looking UQ and UQP. Fit my Darien like a glove. It got down to 38-40 and I was plenty warm. It was also quite windy to the point that I deployed the tarp although the sky was crystal clear.

Super comfortable and MUCH less fiddling than my other more typically designed UQs. I’m a big fan and will be ordering a 40 degree for my other family hammock in the spring.

Nice lines on this for sure.

https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/15/5a/LKOdLxdS_t.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/LKOdLxdS) https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/b7/2c/VZLpu18u_t.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/VZLpu18u) https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/fe/ce/VjdsxYNi_t.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/VjdsxYNi)

Rusty2192
11-09-2020, 17:39
Does anyone have much experience with stacking a Trail Winder yet? I have a partial length CDT UQ and I’m thinking about getting a 40* Trail Winder to stack during winter. I’d like to have the Trail Winder on the outside for it’s UQP properties but I haven’t seen reports yet of how well this works over a down UQ.

Tpatter
11-09-2020, 20:52
I think it would work well. The inside is essentially like a gathered hammock on the inside. The insulation hangs on the outside of the ‘shiny’ fabric which faces the hammock. It makes it easy to adjust because you just tighten it up still get loft on the outside. My other UQ requires an easy touch on the adjustments to ensure that I am not mashing the insulation. Not so with this one, in fact, you are probably better off erring on the sid e of making it tighter rather than looser.

I think if you are going to put an UQ inside of it however, you would obviously need to take that into consideration, but it should be a simple matter of adjusting the mini biners tension on the ends and then fine tuning by adjusting the centers.

You’ve got me curious now, I will try stacking mine this week when its not raining,

Saltfly
11-09-2020, 21:03
Does anyone have much experience with stacking a Trail Winder yet? I have a partial length CDT UQ and I’m thinking about getting a 40* Trail Winder to stack during winter. I’d like to have the Trail Winder on the outside for it’s UQP properties but I haven’t seen reports yet of how well this works over a down UQ.

I use a 20 degree symmetrical trail winder all winter. When it gets to about 40 I stack a 40degree asym trail winder loosely over it. Don’t know how low it would go, but I’ve been to 30 with it and was toasty. I sleep cool so I go overboard with bottom insulation. Anyways it works like a champ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rerun
11-10-2020, 08:06
Welcome to SLD & the trail winder users. Great uq that iv'e ever used ..so simple & ez

+1

Jimswms
12-01-2020, 21:48
Standard is 9'long, but what length do most of you use for your 11' hammocks?

rweb82
12-01-2020, 21:58
Standard is 9'long, but what length do most of you use for your 11' hammocks?I got the 9', and it works great on my 11' hammock.

Tpatter
12-02-2020, 00:06
I also have a 9’ which perfectly fits my 11’ hammock.

soul embrace
12-02-2020, 07:11
I also got the 9ft one for my 11ft hammock

DutchConch
12-02-2020, 09:37
I got a 40deg 9' and a 50deg 10' for my 11ft hammock, BBXLC. They both fit but the 10' UG just does fit. It has less bungee on both ends so it probably has less strech capability but I have not really noticed a downside to it. I got the 10' one first then ordered a 9' one recently with the thought that my wife could borrow it for her 10' hammock if needed. Love them both. And my son has the 20deg 10' for his Eldorado and loves it. He is particularly lax about setup and the no fiddle factor is perfect for him.

PirateDude
12-02-2020, 12:43
Standard is 9'long, but what length do most of you use for your 11' hammocks?

Me too, the 9' Trail Winder fits like a dream on my 11' hammock! But if you have concerns, touch base with Jared so he can customize to your needs.

droidrunner
02-06-2021, 07:10
I've been eying this UQ for a little while. One of my gripes with my current HG UQ is that you can lay in the Chameleon with no UQ, then lay in it with the UQ and messes up the lay at the feet, much like how shortround touched on in his video. The cords push up against my feet and makes it less comfortable. I like how this eliminates that AND weighs less than my 20 degree Econ HG

TDGuentner
02-09-2021, 17:20
I'm sorry if this has already been covered in this thread, but I've been eyeing up the 40 degree Trail Winder UQ and I have a few questions.

1. I'm currently using a 40ish degree synthetic UQ similar to the ENO Ember 2 and am a warm sleeper. I have been sleeping comfortably around 30 and fairly comfortably down to 20 degrees with the right sleep clothes (down booties over wool socks, fleece sweatpants, wool base layer top, fleece hoodie, fleece hat w/ buff) and a similarly rated TQ. Would the Trail Winder be comparable in it's ability to be effective at least down to 30 degrees?

2. The only cold spots I get on a diagonal lay (head right, feet left) are on my right shoulder or in my feet. I suspect that part of the problem is that I'm still using a hammock that is 9 and 1/2 feet long and I am 5'10". Once I upgrade to an 11' hammock, would the Trail Winder be able to encapsulate my shoulder and feet enough to prevent these cold spots?

3a. I am planning on getting a Hang Tight 20 degree down UQ once Steve reopens his shop once he is resupplied. Has anyone used the Trail Winder UQ to stack on top of a down UQ for added warmth? And, if so, how much of a boost does it give?

3b.If I'm already running warm and have been able to exceed the ratings of my current gear with enough comfort for a good night's sleep, would it be wise to get the Hang Tight 40 degree down UQ and the 50 degree Trail Winder UQ anticipating that I would stack them in the winter while trying to avoid overheating? Or, is it better to leave the thicker, pack space consuming camp/ sleep clothes at home in favor of having a quilt set up, stacked or otherwise, that is more accurate to the temperature?

4. Has anyone purchased a UQP with the intent of modifying it to a UQ similar to the Trail Winder and have you had success in doing so? I'm imagining Velcro strips on the UQP and the opposing Velcro strips on a asymmetrically shaped, sewn together piece of insulation that could be removed and reinstalled as needed?

5. Have you ever asked a question to a room full of strangers just knowing that you are inside of the Hive Mind and can't wait for the answers?

Thanks!!!

LowTech
02-09-2021, 22:38
I'm sorry if this has already been covered in this thread, but I've been eyeing up the 40 degree Trail Winder UQ and I have a few questions.

1. I'm currently using a 40ish degree synthetic UQ similar to the ENO Ember 2 and am a warm sleeper. I have been sleeping comfortably around 30 and fairly comfortably down to 20 degrees with the right sleep clothes (down booties over wool socks, fleece sweatpants, wool base layer top, fleece hoodie, fleece hat w/ buff) and a similarly rated TQ. Would the Trail Winder be comparable in it's ability to be effective at least down to 30 degrees?

2. The only cold spots I get on a diagonal lay (head right, feet left) are on my right shoulder or in my feet. I suspect that part of the problem is that I'm still using a hammock that is 9 and 1/2 feet long and I am 5'10". Once I upgrade to an 11' hammock, would the Trail Winder be able to encapsulate my shoulder and feet enough to prevent these cold spots?

3a. I am planning on getting a Hang Tight 20 degree down UQ once Steve reopens his shop once he is resupplied. Has anyone used the Trail Winder UQ to stack on top of a down UQ for added warmth? And, if so, how much of a boost does it give?

3b.If I'm already running warm and have been able to exceed the ratings of my current gear with enough comfort for a good night's sleep, would it be wise to get the Hang Tight 40 degree down UQ and the 50 degree Trail Winder UQ anticipating that I would stack them in the winter while trying to avoid overheating? Or, is it better to leave the thicker, pack space consuming camp/ sleep clothes at home in favor of having a quilt set up, stacked or otherwise, that is more accurate to the temperature?

4. Has anyone purchased a UQP with the intent of modifying it to a UQ similar to the Trail Winder and have you had success in doing so? I'm imagining Velcro strips on the UQP and the opposing Velcro strips on a asymmetrically shaped, sewn together piece of insulation that could be removed and reinstalled as needed?

5. Have you ever asked a question to a room full of strangers just knowing that you are inside of the Hive Mind and can't wait for the answers?

Thanks!!!

I can't answer to all of your questions, but
#2 - I'm 6' and have no trouble in a TW. It totally covers me and I get a bit more diagonal than some. I do have a full one and not an asym.

#3a - there are a couple recent threads about stacking quilts featuring the TW and it seems to work great. Not everyone wants to pack two under quilts to get the warmth of one appropriate rated quilt but if you're not UL backpacking and just car/ moto/ kayak camping that may not matter.

TDGuentner
02-12-2021, 14:34
Thank you! That was a thoughtful response and has given me a few ideas how to evaluate what I think I should do.

I can't answer to all of your questions, but
#2 - I'm 6' and have no trouble in a TW. It totally covers me and I get a bit more diagonal than some. I do have a full one and not an asym.

#3a - there are a couple recent threads about stacking quilts featuring the TW and it seems to work great. Not everyone wants to pack two under quilts to get the warmth of one appropriate rated quilt but if you're not UL backpacking and just car/ moto/ kayak camping that may not matter.

Roy_OKC
05-25-2021, 16:24
While I haven't tried mine out yet, I wanted to post about another excellent buying experience. I ordered a 20 degree non-asym 10 foot TW last Wednesday, a bit after noon. I got a shipping notification Thursday morning with a note adding "as soon as I can get to town", and in my hands Monday/yesterday. That kind of super fast speed is awesome for any company, let alone for a product that is made upon order.

I also had a couple simple questions before and after, both times Jared sent clear answers back within a couple hours.

Looking at the UQ, I can't imagine that I'll have any issues with it. The workmanship seems excellent.

If it works like I expect and after I can figure out my lay angle, I'll likely order a 40 degree sym for warmer weather.

LowTech
05-25-2021, 17:01
About 140 nights in mine so far this year and still loving it.

Johnwesley
05-26-2021, 07:49

Thanks!!!

I know this is very late and you have probably already settled on what to do, but maybe useful to other that browse through.

2. I am 5’10” and have the standards TW it is wide enough for my shoulders and covers well. I have .5” thick memory foam pillow I sleep with which keeps my head warm as it is sometimes just off the insulation. Being 5’10” doesn’t say a lot but I am also 215 lbs reglar at the gym and Mma classes so I am fairly thick with broad shoulders. Hope that helps. I do see the Jerod makes a wide version that should give you more room to alter the diagonal you sleep on, I have to do right to get the coverage I need. They did make the wide when I ordered mine.

3a. I don’t know the exact boost but I use my TW in a single and a double for winter. The thing about the TW stacked with another is the added UQ protection it gives being a synthetic design. Stacked it is a noticeable boost in temp though I cannot tell you by how much. The advantage of two is you can move one to the side if it’s too hot. One tip on using the TW as both single and double layer is to set the UQ up on the bottom and get it set just right. Nest set it up as a single and do not adjust the suspension but rather created a figure 8 in the end loop where the biner is. That way you can just mover the biner to the second loop for double and the first for single and not have the fiddle factor of switching between the two set ups.

3b i like stacking mine. It gives more versatility to my set up. I mainly got my TW for spring summer weather we have which can be very damp. The rain doesn’t bother the down as much as the heavy humidity we have where even without rain everything can be damp. I choose the 50* because of the temps we see during the most humid part of the year. Now during the warmer season I just carry the TW when it’s a chance of dropping down to the 20-30s I carry both. When it’s that cold at night the humidity isn’t as bad so I can get by with just my down UQ but having the TW to protect and add warmth is worth it. I do camp off my motorcycle though not a overnight Hiker so the extra weight is no big deal.