PDA

View Full Version : Making my own tarp

JackRabbit
08-02-2007, 09:54
Hey everyone! I've decided to make a tarp to replace the tiny stock HH one, and I'm considering using Tyvek. It's only $1.75 per linear foot available in 7'-9' widths on ebay. I've read the "Definitive Tyvek" article and feel Tyvek will probably work for me until I can afford to replace it with a silnylon tarp. I'm thinking of making either a BlackCat (WhiteCat in this case?) or a 7x7 diamond. I'm leaning towards the diamond, it's just simpler to make.

I'm trying to figure out how much material to buy for the 7x7. I could just get exactly that much, but it will shrink a little if I wash it (I assume that rain would eventually do the same thing) so I wonder whether I should buy a larger amount to allow for this. I think it would still cover my hammock just fine (Hennessy Scout). The ridgeline is 10' before shrinking it would still be over 9' afterwards. The hammock is a little over 8', so is that still enough to give me good coverage end to end? If the 7' width will be enough I would rather get it since it is not printed on either side.

I'm planning on using tie outs instead of grommets. I have some old backpacks I can steal webbing off of, and I'm wondering if that will work okay.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

headchange4u
08-02-2007, 10:04
I think Henry Shire's site says to allow 5% for shrinkage of Tyvek after washing. A Tyvek tarp has been on my DIY list for a while. I haven't gotten around to making one yet. If I were you, I would buy extra material just in case.

I am thinking that I am going to use Tyvek Tape to reinforce the edges of my tarp when I make it. Be sure to read the sewing instructions listed in the Tyvek article. Sewing can make the HomeWrap Tyvek easy to tear and tarp tie outs have a lot of tension on them. I am leaning toward leaving extra material on the ends on the Tyvek tarp and then tying the guy lines on the tarp with something like a sheet bend knot.

Preacha Man
08-02-2007, 10:15
I cut my tyvek to the size that I need it, and then a lot of times I just put a small rock in the tyvek and put my cord around it to hang it up. That has always been the simplest way for me, and I have had no problems yet. My neighbot got me a huge 10' or 12' roll, so I have lots to experiment with :D

headchange4u
08-02-2007, 10:16
Mirage's site shows a 9x11 cat cut Tyvek tarp (http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/DIYGear/TyvekTarp/index.html). He did sew his. You make take a look.

JackRabbit
08-02-2007, 10:21
If I used a sheet bend, I wouldn't have to sew anything that I can think of. I suppose that this may be the way to go.

Assuming I lose 5% from washing, a 9x9 would give me a 12' ridgeline, 8x8 a 10' 9" ridgeline, and 7x7 a 9' 5" ridgeline. Even the 7x7 gives me a half foot over the end of the hammock on each end. That would probably work fine. If it doesn't work out, it's a lot cheaper of a mistake than if I made it working with silnylon.

Thanks!

Preacha Man
08-02-2007, 10:24
Start big, and then work small. You can always make smaller, never bigger :)

JackRabbit
08-02-2007, 10:29
Good point Preacha. Thanks for the advice.

headchange4u
08-02-2007, 10:44
I would also check construction sites and home building site for scrap Tyvek before buying on Ebay. They will often give you pieces big enough for what you need. I got almost an entire roll that way, for free. I also think the Tyvek used in contruction is 10' wide so that would give that extra material to work with.

JackRabbit
08-02-2007, 10:49
It's 9' according to my father. He used to work at a hardware store. It may have changed to 10' since he stopped working there, but judging by the fact that the ebay'ers are selling 9' I think it still is. It does give me the extra though.

I have been looking around for construction sites using it, but so far have come up with nothing.

Preacha Man
08-02-2007, 11:07
I just measured my roll and it is 9', sorry for the exageration, I thought it was longer.

Jack Rabbit, if all you need is a 9X9, maybe we could work something out and save you some money.

JackRabbit
08-02-2007, 11:12
9x9 would give me plenty to work with. Let me know what type of price we are talking about. Even if it's as much as on ebay, I would rather buy from a fellow hanger.

Preacha Man
08-03-2007, 11:06
Tyvek will be on its way today. I hope it works for you.

Dwight

JackRabbit
08-03-2007, 13:43
Thanks! Money on the way too.