PDA

View Full Version : SLD Gear Hammock

unionmanbirch
09-01-2020, 19:52
I just discovered how handy a SLD gear hammock is. I bought it last year and used it in the back yard a couple times but it never quite made the cut to bring camping. I just finished a 4-day, 3-night bike camping trip and finally decided to bring it. Why did it take me so long? Hung right below the hammock it kept everything I needed at night and in the morning close at hand - just reach out and grab it, no getting up. Also set it up as a hammock chair when I stopped for a break. Since I mostly go bike camping my concern is does it fit rather than what does it weigh and it packs down very small. Can't believe I didn't bring it sooner. I think when I used it out back it just didn't seem as useful because my next days clothes were in the house and I wasn't packing wet wipes or stuff like that but it's definitely a regular part of my kit now.

LearnedHat
09-01-2020, 20:45
So . . . how much does it weigh?

unionmanbirch
09-01-2020, 21:00
Haven't weighed it but the website says 3.5-5 ounces depending on fabric and zipper.

Dvankirk
09-02-2020, 07:10
So . . . how much does it weigh?

Mine with zipper and suspension (I have it on it's own suspension to the tree with 1.3mm Dutch wire and a LineLoc V so it doesn't rub my hammock) comes in at 4.1 ounces.

TrailBlaser
09-06-2020, 19:01
How does it suspend below your hammock?

unionmanbirch
09-06-2020, 20:08
I just hung the continuous loops on the gear hammock to tree straps using a marlinspike hitch and toggle. If the trees were too far apart I attached one end to the hammock suspension and the other to a tree.

Dvankirk
09-08-2020, 07:28

I have a line loc V through the continuous loop of the gear hammock with some Dutch wire that goes around the tree and hooks back with a Dutch clip. Doesn't weigh that much and keeps it as low as I want without rubbing on the bottom of the hammock. It is an extra line below the hammock about wait high to trip over if you are not used to it, though.

TrailBlaser
09-08-2020, 08:42
Thanks so much Dvankirk. I appreciate the information.