PDA

View Full Version : First Loco Libre Quilts and a question

jamaulwall
11-03-2020, 21:42
So I just received my first order from Loco Libre and I will have to say I'm just as impressed as I thought I would be with the craftsmanship, these quilts are outstanding. I'm very excited to put these to good use.

That said, I have a question for those with more experience with these quilts than myself. Does George typically fill these quilts more generously than other manufacturers? I'm thinking these will be warmer than I expected, Haha. I didn't compare weights before ordering, at least not on the UQ's, and in my hand the 40° RR specific UQ felt thicker and fluffier than I expected. I also sort of expected sewn through construction, not baffles on that particular quilt and was pleasantly wrong on that expectation. I looked things up and it's a comparable weight and a bit more down fill than my 20° Lynx UQ from Warbonnet. I'm thinking it will be at least as warm as the Lynx.

I obviously haven't tested it out yet but does anyone else have experience they can share on comfort ratings of these quilts? For comparison, I've taken the 20° Lynx down to 17° very comfortably with a spindrift sock on the hammock...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Grey Mouse
12-15-2020, 20:55
I own two sets of George's zero degree quilts that are also overstuffed. The other two quilts that I own are rated slightly higher with no overfill. It is my "opinion" that based on what I have seen George is not shy on down in any way. That being said my friend just ordered a set of overfilled quilts from another manufacturer recently that are also overstuffed zero degree quilts. Once she gets them in I can do a better comparison.

My 0°F set has only been tested down to 27°F on a rainy and windy three day trip so far but in late January I will hopefully be back at the Gorge and trying to hit single digits or lower. At the moment the forecast only says a low of 8°F at night.

rweb82
12-15-2020, 23:48
I did some research on this a couple years ago, and found that no one uses more down in their quilts than Loco Libre, all other things being equal- length, fill power, and temp rating.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Dvankirk
12-16-2020, 08:25
I have a 30 degree Carolina Reaper that is warmer than a 20 degree quilt from somebody else. It's warm enough for me that I have had it down close to zero with no problems. Not to knock anybody else, I have quilts from a lot of different vendors and I just really like the product George puts out.

jamaulwall
12-16-2020, 08:53
Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty happy with the quilts, George makes really high quality gear and obviously doesn't cheap out on the amount of down he uses. I think I'll end up selling my 20° Warbonnet Lynx and getting a different summer weight UQ for the RR. I think the 40° LL UQ will more than cover my needs down to 15-20°, especially when paired with the spindrift sock. I guess it's a good problem to have when you get quilts that are warmer than what you were expecting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tonopah
12-16-2020, 11:59
I see Loco Libre makes a synthetic TQ. Has anyone tried one of those? What do you think? I'm about ready to buy an Arrowhead Equipment Owyhee but the Loco Libre brand gets so much love I thought I might try one of those in synthetic instead.