PDA

View Full Version : SLD Eclipse TopQuilt - New

villagelock
11-10-2020, 13:50
In case you haven't noticed, Jared is now offering a topquilt. It's called The Eclipse, and here's a link: https://simplylightdesigns.com/collections/what-s-new/products/eclipse-top-quilt

Jelly Head
11-11-2020, 08:26
I ordered one last Thursday and got the shipping notification yesterday. Can't wait!!

villagelock
11-11-2020, 21:40
I ordered mine Monday night.
On its way on Tues.
Jared is great!

ObdewlaX
11-11-2020, 21:50
Anxious to hear about your impressions

ShortRound
11-12-2020, 08:30
O WOW! Back in the day Jared used to offer both uq & tq. Till this day i still use the Sld tq with me trail winder. Great to see he is offering it again!

villagelock
11-23-2020, 20:31
Well, I got my 40* Eclipse about a week ago. I've been using it nightly for house-sleeping. Jared did his usual great job.

I really like this top quilt. It's pretty straightforward without a lot of bells and whistles. It has a cinch cord and mini-biner at the top. It also has a roomy footbox and excellent construction. It's very comfortable and the Ion fabric has a good feel. The Apex warms up quickly. The Reg/Reg was a good fit for me at 5' 10", 200 lbs. The price is good, too!

FLTurtle
11-23-2020, 20:41
Wondering why a biner instead of a snap or other type of fastener?

villagelock
11-23-2020, 22:45
Maybe to keep the cost down. It's a simple,efficient quilt.
I think I've heard that Jared used to make these before, but pulled them off his inventory. It might be from a previous design. I bet if asked, he'd put them on. And if enough people liked it, he'd make it standard.
I don't tend to use much closure at my neck, so I just took the biner off.

Norfolk Yeti
11-24-2020, 13:52
Looking forward to getting my Eclipse TQ.
Thinking I’ll possibly use a small section of shock cord and a mitten hook on the neck.

Norfolk Yeti
12-06-2020, 12:14
Got some goodies from Jared: 12’ trail lair and a top quilt in 7.5oz.
Tested both last night and was super comfy and toasty warm....still quite a new guy to it all but getting things dialled in slowly.
The top quilt is a beast, I never realised apex could have such loft having only used it up to 6oz before, it’s a well made quilt too, lovely foot box and the neck design simply works...seals in the warmth.
Highly recommended.

commanderkeen
12-06-2020, 14:23
Thanks for the mini review. I’m set with quilts for cold weather, but I know that when warm weather returns, my desire for a 50° quilt will be renewed, and when that happens, I’ll be headed to SLD.

Apex is very competitive with down for weight in 40 and 50 degree quilts, and of course will save me some dough.

soul embrace
12-06-2020, 18:13
Thanks for the mini review. I’m set with quilts for cold weather, but I know that when warm weather returns, my desire for a 50° quilt will be renewed, and when that happens, I’ll be headed to SLD.

Apex is very competitive with down for weight in 40 and 50 degree quilts, and of course will save me some dough.

there is a prototype 40° regular length 48in wide for sale for $20 off on the site right now, it's $124.95: https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/collections/wind-blockers-bug-nets/products/prototype-eclipse-top-quilt

Tpatter
12-06-2020, 18:59
I’m very intrigued. I’ve been very happy with my asym winder. I need 2 40 degree UQs. I’ve got an incubator, figure I’ll get a 40 winder and see what I like best, combine them when needed which will take me to whatever temp we get around here. At that temp, weight is about the same, but winder has wind and moisture protection as well.

Zenon
03-12-2021, 13:22
Could any happy owner of the Eclipse answer this question : what is the depth of the footbox ? I'm looking for a small footbox (1 foot max) to adjust my covering (cover ? sorry for the mistakes in english) depending on the temperatures without having to really wake-up to do this like in a sleeping bag. Thanks !

villagelock
03-13-2021, 00:19
I have the 40* and it's 18" from the start of the V to the seam of the footbox.
I hope that helps.

soul embrace
03-13-2021, 06:54
Could any happy owner of the Eclipse answer this question : what is the depth of the footbox ? I'm looking for a small footbox (1 foot max) to adjust my covering (cover ? sorry for the mistakes in english) depending on the temperatures without having to really wake-up to do this like in a sleeping bag. Thanks !

if you contact Jared he will probably make the footbox whatever size you need

Zenon
03-13-2021, 14:49
Thank you for your answers ! 18 inches (45 centimeters) is maybe just a bit too much for me. This is a good advice : I will contact Jared to see what he can do.

Twistytee
04-05-2021, 09:51
Does anyone have an eclipse in the 2.5 oz/50* config? How small do they compress in a backpack?

grimm0614
04-06-2021, 08:10
Excellent to see Jared increasing his product offerings. He really does great work, is a pleasure to work with and is faster than any cottage company out there.

If I need a synthetic quilt, I know where I'm going.