PDA

View Full Version : Any hangs closer to home for me?

arutha
12-22-2020, 22:07
Hi everyone,

I know we're still in this "situation" right now and hangs are being cancelled rather than planned with all the lockdowns but I was wondering if there are ever any hangs happening a bit closer to home for where I hail from. I see Valens a lot, which is rather on the far side of Toronto for me and I don't fancy driving even to the near side of it for a weekend but I would like to actually go out and hang somewhere that is not my back yard at some point. For the first time at least I probably don't want to go all out Shug though ;)

So are there any people in or around the Montreal area or anything that's easily reachable for a weekend trip from here? Even Algonquin is quite the drive from here though it's beautiful out there and at least it's only about 4 hours, so I guess it's doable. I'm not a kayak/canoe person tho and that's what I've mainly seen so far in trip reports.

Shug
12-27-2020, 10:32
You may need to be the one to create the Hang.
Do it and they may come.
Shug

arutha
12-30-2020, 23:02
Hah, thanks for the encouragement Shug! Much appreciated!

I was actually looking to just join another hang because I don't really know where to hang here. I've only taken hammocking up this year, so given the current situation, I'm not entirely sure where it's OK to hang (legally speaking) and/or best. The campgrounds we've been to so far either had no suitable trees or only one and the car but we don't have a Jeep or something with an appropriately high integrated roof rack and I don't trust the screw on one. Hence the DIY Tensa I've built - to be used next year when car camping, which is why I made sure the individual parts fit in even our small car's trunk :lol:.

I guess your daughter doesn't do hammocking and doesn't know any English speaking hammockers or hammocking places from her time up here? You never visited her with a hammock? :) I'm sure I'd find some sort of Quebecois hammocking forums and hangs somewhere but that's not the point.

Chard
01-11-2021, 20:47
Hi everyone,

I know we're still in this "situation" right now and hangs are being cancelled rather than planned with all the lockdowns but I was wondering if there are ever any hangs happening a bit closer to home for where I hail from. I see Valens a lot, which is rather on the far side of Toronto for me and I don't fancy driving even to the near side of it for a weekend but I would like to actually go out and hang somewhere that is not my back yard at some point. For the first time at least I probably don't want to go all out Shug though ;)

So are there any people in or around the Montreal area or anything that's easily reachable for a weekend trip from here? Even Algonquin is quite the drive from here though it's beautiful out there and at least it's only about 4 hours, so I guess it's doable. I'm not a kayak/canoe person tho and that's what I've mainly seen so far in trip reports.
Hiya Arutha,

If you're looking for a hang and don't mind driving to Algonquin, the EGL heads out there a couple of times each year and I'm sure we could find a canoe you could fit in as a bow paddler. Once this ugly covid thing has been settled, I hope we'll be able to see you out there. Everybody's welcome.

Chard (old Westmount'er)

arutha
01-13-2021, 21:34
Well hello there from your old home then (well close-ish, I'm off-island :))

Subscribed the EGL thread for now and let's see how things play out then. Algonquin is probably doable. It definitely is far though. Beautiful from what I remember. Been quite a while that I haven't just been driving through. Like more than 10 years now. Time flies.

Thanks Chard!