PDA

View Full Version : Newbe Question

Savage Voyageur
04-04-2010, 11:02
I will be going on a canoe trip to the BWCA in northern Minnesota this June. I will be using my ENO hammock with my Arrowhead New River underquilt. I will be using a 30 deg bag. The temps last year got down to 32 deg one morning and got up to 70 deg during the day. Do I need a pad or is the New River underquilt enough? Thanks for the help.

Just Jeff
04-04-2010, 11:17
If you know how to fit the quilt correctly and are a normal sleeper (i.e. you don't get cold when others are just right), then it's right on the edge of its rating. Hard to say if it'll be enough for you b/c so many things affect it...fit, humidity, your hydration level, what you ate before bed, wind, etc.

So you have two choices...either take something to supplement (like a thin CCF pad) or take your chances. Personally, I'd probably take my chances...if you get cold, just boil up a hot water bottle and it should make you toasty. Or boil one up anyway, without waiting to see if you get cold...always easier to vent in the night than to get up and boil water.

bigbamaguy
04-04-2010, 11:18
SV:
I have a KAQ New River UQ and another one that I use as a TQ as well and have used them down to the mid-20's and been comfortable. I was wearing a lite weight thermal base layer, fleece jacket, wicking socks and dry hiking socks. I was not in an ENO, will do that testing next weekend since I got a ENO DN for an early birthday present. I was in my CJH NX-200 with the weather shield closed, I never woke up cold but I could tell that is was cool inside. I would definitely try your listed set-up on some trial runs to see how comfortable you are............. I hope this helps.

beep
04-04-2010, 11:20
I will be going on a canoe trip to the BWCA in northern Minnesota this June. I will be using my ENO hammock with my Arrowhead New River underquilt. I will be using a 30 deg bag. The temps last year got down to 32 deg one morning and got up to 70 deg during the day. Do I need a pad or is the New River underquilt enough? Thanks for the help.

Although it is not rare to see mid-30 degree lows, what is more typical are lows in the 40's. I think your UQ will be sufficient. If it gets "really" cold, wear additional clothes to bed. Most of my summer-time travel in the BWCA and Quetico has been with a 35 degree bag. I think you'll be fine.