PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a sleeping bag for JMT in June

stonefree
04-08-2010, 18:01
i will hiking the john muir trail in june and im not sure if my 40 degree bag with my pad will be warm enough. should i get a warmer gag???
anyone who has hiked the jmt befor tips or suggestions, this will be my first long hike

G.L.P.
04-08-2010, 22:21
if your going to be Hammock camping most of the time...and is willing to spend the money....get a nice quilt and get it over with...you can't go wrong..

Just Jeff
04-08-2010, 22:23
Top quilts are much easier to use in a hammock, and work on the ground as well if they're wide enough for you. And it saves you weight, whether you use it in a hammock or on the ground. So I'd second the advice to look into top quilts instead of a sleeping bag.

Can't comment on the JMT temps...but I'll add JMT to the title for you in case it catches the eye of someone who has hiked it before and can offer more specific info.

stonefree
04-08-2010, 23:28
i think i will get a uq befor i go, i looked at the ember from eno but there sold out, so im thinking about a kaq i keep hearing about on here
as for a oq i will have to save a little more befor i can get one, i have a 20 degree bag i will take if its that cold

stonefree
04-08-2010, 23:35
another thing i cant find any info on hammocking the jmt

Just Jeff
04-09-2010, 01:49
Try asking at WB...I think there are a few folks on there who have JMT experience. Even if they're not hammockers, they can tell you how much of it is above treeline.

LyttleBryan
04-09-2010, 10:49
if your going to be Hammock camping most of the time...and is willing to spend the money....get a nice quilt and get it over with...you can't go wrong..

Yes, you can go wrong. I can't sleep with a quilt in a hammock unless it's practically duct taped to me.

As for your sleeping bag if you think you may be too cold at times, then there's a good chance you will be. Remember, you can always unzip your sleeping bag, but you can't always add more clothes. I personally never sleep with less than a 35 degree bag. It's a center, full length, zip so it can be opened up wiiiide open. yes it's an extra 8 or whatever ounces, but I've yet to wake up with the sleeping bag at my toes and me completely uncovered. Something that was a frequent occurrence with a TQ.

stonefree
04-09-2010, 18:38
i will be using a kelty lightyear 20 degree bag for the trip and it unzips to my waist and im a warm sleeper . i sleep like the dead in my hammock and i thknk a uq will work for me but ihavent tried one yet so ill keep what you said in mind and try the uq out in backyard befor i take it on a trip

lori
04-09-2010, 20:30
See my answer in the other thread about the JMT... the 20 degree bag and a good pad will do the job nicely. A 20 degree quilt would also work.

It frequently snows at higher elevations in summer - just not in a way that sticks for long, it only means temps are in the 20s at night and wind chill is also a factor.

Connie
04-09-2010, 21:08
Is the Thermarest Haven +20 sleeping bag a dumb idea?

It could be a top quilt, I suppose.

oldgringo
04-09-2010, 21:11
LB, what bag are you using that has a full length center zip?

LyttleBryan
04-11-2010, 12:51

I'm using Exped Wallcreeper 30 degree down bag. (http://www.altrec.com/exped/wallcreeper-30-degree-sleeping-bag) It's a tad heavy for a summer bag (31.5oz), but it works wonderfully. You can also open the draw string at the bottom of the bag and stick your feet out for various types of venting options. I took it with me last weekend when it got down to 32 and slept like a baby.

khai
04-15-2010, 19:15

GoLite makes them in 4, 3, and 1 season varieties (http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=160001110&mc=203&t=&lat=).

Call me infantile, but they make me smirk... :laugh: