PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Reaper questions

grobinger
10-31-2021, 13:53
I am in the market for a really cold winter UQ for my WB ridge runner and I am looking at the LL subzero ridge reaper. What exactly are the advantages over a scandinavian lynx from WB? The total weight should be a little less because of the slightly lighter fabrics? And from the pictures it seems that the ridge reaper provides slightly more coverage than the lynx?

Mescript
11-05-2021, 08:51
I'm also curious. I was looking at both the lynx and the reaper. Not sure the reaper is worth the price difference though is what I struggle with.

Canadark
11-05-2021, 10:48
I have had quilts from both manufacturers.

There wasn't a difference in coverage between the Lynx and the Ridge Reaper that I could detect. I'm a fairly cold sleeper. All I will say is this -- when deciding what quilt to use for a given predicted temperature, for my WB underquilts I build in a 20-degree buffer. If it's predicted to go down to 38-degees, I'm using my 20* UQ. With the Loco Libre underquilts, the buffer factor is 10 degrees.

JayArches
11-17-2021, 02:08
. I'm a fairly cold sleeper. All I will say is this -- when deciding what quilt to use for a given predicted temperature, for my WB underquilts I build in a 20-degree buffer. If it's predicted to go down to 38-degees, I'm using my 20* UQ. With the Loco Libre underquilts, the buffer factor is 10 degrees.

I ordered a -40° (+3 oz extra down) LL underquilt to replace my WB -20°. I'm hoping I also find it to be more accurate for a cold sleeper.

rweb82
11-17-2021, 08:50
I don't own any Warbonnet quilts, but I can certainly vouch for Loco Libre. My LL quilts are warmer than any other brand I've owned or tried. George ain't skimpy with the down! His craftsmanship is impeccable too- the best I've seen.

sideshowraheem
11-17-2021, 10:25
So not a ridge reaper, but I have had a Warbonnet Wooki and I currently own a LL Habanero.

The Habanero was a bit lighter, and I liked that I could tweak the suspension setup on it. Both were great UQs, and if you dont want to fiddle with things the Wooki was better, but overall I preferred the Habanero.

PocketDebris
01-10-2024, 22:28
I ordered a -40° (+3 oz extra down) LL underquilt to replace my WB -20°. I'm hoping I also find it to be more accurate for a cold sleeper. Thanks, this is why I lurk.:thumbup:

dwighop
01-11-2024, 08:15
Thanks, this is why I lurk.:thumbup:
Indeed. I've been debating adding a 20 to my 40.

And I'd love to know how to add the degree symbol from my keyboard.

Phantom Grappler
01-11-2024, 09:06
Ooops wrong thread, sorry

cmc4free
01-11-2024, 09:16
Indeed. I've been debating adding a 20 to my 40.

And I'd love to know how to add the degree symbol from my keyboard.

Hold down the Alt key (next to the space bar), then in sequence type 0 1 7 6, then release Alt.

If you're on a Mac, I think the same operation still works, but you will have an Option key instead of Alt. I can't vouch for this with certainty, but the above is definitely how to do it on a PC.

EDIT: Wondering if it works the same on a Mac stuck with me, and some research suggests the "Alt codes" do not work on a Mac by simply pressing Option instead.

So, if you have a Mac, try pressing Shift + Option + 8

cougarmeat
01-11-2024, 17:08
Because lower temperature ratings and adding down have been mentioned twice, consider this ... I don't know about LL but other vendors (HG for example) have suggested that extra fill is more to prevent down shifting. Some prefer that. And extra down is sort of a security blanket. When I started out, I always added a couple of ounces more down. But being able to easily redistribute down after it has migrated is also desirable. So you do you.

Increased R factor - insulation from cold - is achieved more effectively by more loft - the cut of the UQ, not just more down. HG has said it's better to get the next warmer bag - cut for more loft - than to add more down to a bag cut for a smaller loft.

That said, certainly one vendor's 20° bag can be warmer than another's; various design choices. My UGQ 20° TQ is warmer than my HG 20° TQ. BUT the UGQ quilt has a sewn footbox. HG's cinch footbox, which I requested, allows for more venting, making it more comfortable as the nighttime temperatures warm up.

Two (maybe more) circle symbols can be used for the degree symbol on a Mac. This is Shift-Option-8 °. This is Option-k ˚
The option-k looks a little smaller and higher. Let's see how they look side by side ... 20° and 20˚. Take your pick.