PDA

View Full Version : New Trail Winder UQ

Tazzie
03-01-2022, 21:41
Copy and pasting this from my review I left on his page as I thought it would be useful here too:

I needed an UQ quickly as I got invited on a camping trip but it was going to be colder than the UQ I currently owned. The search for a new UQ led me to discover Simply Light Designs and I shot Jared an email with my situation, I needed an new UQ in under a week and I need it to fit a 6' 6" tall person. Jared answered me within moments and gave me all the info I needed to order my new quilt. He made it that night and I had it in my hands in just three days after talking to him! That camping trip the temps went down to 30 and my new 20 degree UQ kept me toasty. Not only was I warmer but it was so much better than my old UQ, no fiddling, no adjustment, I just threw it on and it worked! With my other UQ if I lay on my side in the fetal position, which is how I like to sleep, my knees would push the quilt open and I'd get cold drafts, not with the Trail Winder! Any which way I turned I was warm, which is extra impressive given my height. It packed down much smaller than I thought it would for an synthetic also, and despite being synthetic the 20 degree quilt was only 4 oz heavier than my 40 degree down quilt! This is definitely my forever quilt now, I'm going to get my husband one and if anything happens to either I'm buying another one. I couldn't be more happy with both Jared for helping me get the quilt quickly and the quilt itself.

Salt
03-02-2022, 00:58
Great review and yet another good mark in SLD's column as I research upcoming purchases!

rerun
03-02-2022, 08:18
I have two SLD under quilts and love them both. As you mentioned no fiddle factor, which to me is a bid deal.

rweb82
03-02-2022, 10:00
Excellent quilts, and even better service! Ounce for ounce, you won't find a better deal on an UQ than SLD's Trail Winder. The design does a great job of mitigating the typical issues of synthetic being more bulky and heavier than down. My 40° Trail Winder w/ Argon 90 fabric weighs only 16oz, and packs down very small.

Tazzie
03-03-2022, 11:38
Heck yeah! My 20 Degree 10' made with longer insulation for my height came out to 24.8 oz on my scale.

TechRedneck
03-03-2022, 19:43
I have one of Jared's first modular Trail Winders and have only one night in it but temps went down to mid 20's and I was nice and warm with no issues. Heck, this was my first night ever in a hammock and I was very happy.

I am planning some more time this spring in the full SLD setup.. TL, custom tarp with 1/2 doors, modular UQ and some Dutch bling. Afterwards I'll post a full review. I'm still new to hammocks but can't wait for the weather to break!

sloanie
03-05-2022, 01:29
I needed an new UQ in under a week and I need it to fit a 6' 6" tall person. Jared answered me within moments and gave me all the info I needed to order my new quilt.

What options / adjustments did you make to accommodate your height?

Tazzie
03-10-2022, 12:16
What options / adjustments did you make to accommodate your height?

I don't have an non-adjusted one to compare it too, but my understanding was he made the insulating layer of the UQ a few inches longer.