PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Clip direction ...

Hawk-eye
04-12-2010, 00:44
Sure it's been discussed somewhere ... but didn't find it searching ... and I'm suppose to be working anyway. So I'll pose the question.

Is there a reason to put the Dutch clip in one direction or the other? Clip opening up ... or clip opening down as in Dutch's video?

I've seen most videos ... and most people using it (including me) with the opening up. I can't see there is a benefit on way or the other but thought I'd ask.

Barefoot Child
04-12-2010, 00:52
I don't think it really makes a difference pardner. The only thing that I have read...was that somebody had the opening at the bottom, because they thought it would help in preventing it from slipping off of the webbing.
And as always...HYOH/YMMV :rolleyes:

Hawk-eye
04-12-2010, 00:54
Kinda what I figured ... but then I saw the man himself .. Dutch doing the opposite. So thought I'd ask. Didn't know if was some kinda "feng shui" thingy going on! ;)

Barefoot Child
04-12-2010, 00:57
Yep, I saw him using it with the opening facing up, and I figured if the inventor was gonna' use it that way, then so would I. ;)

Barefoot Child
04-12-2010, 01:00
I suppose you could burn some incense, shake some salt on it, and say some magical words. It might do something for your inner-being, but I don't think it would make it preform any better. :laugh::laugh:

Hawk-eye
04-12-2010, 01:37
Actually grass hopper ... he uses it opening down!

Barefoot Child
04-12-2010, 01:45
Now I'm going to have to watch the video again. Is that video, the one that Dutch made with the cool hippie-type van, or is it the one that Shug made of Dutch at he Northern Hang last year, where he talked briefly about the Dutch-clip? :confused:

oldgringo
04-12-2010, 03:10
meh...

How does Dutch hang toilet paper? Now there's a question with relevance.;)

lazy river road
04-12-2010, 06:18
Ive always hung then faceing upwards...that just seemed like the natural way for me, easier to slip webbing up and over then down and up. and vise versa when takeing down. Probally dosent make a difference though. Mabey the Dutch Master can chime in though

canoebie
04-12-2010, 07:07
I have one each direction, compromise, the world is filled with compromise.

Dutch
04-12-2010, 07:24
The lesson you learn can only be achieved by first taking a journey though your own mind. Once you have gained the knowledge of the Dutch clip you still have only traveled half the the distance for you also must search your heart. Ask oneself, if the Dutch clip was not a Dutch clip at all and it was really a bird. Who would strong enough to resist asking that bird which way the wind blows? And if that bird answered you, would you still believe him? If you were not strong enough to ask the bird, would you ask him to lick you finger and hold it up to tell which way the wind blows? Lets say the Dutch clip wasn't a bird, but a dragon. Would you still as the dragon to lick one's finger? If the dragon did not know which way the wind blew, would you not be obligated to lick his finger?

I try to put it on with the openning on the bottom, but it really doesn't matter. I figure the Dutch clip is heavier than the webbing and I want gravity to work for me. I can't see the clip slipping out as long as it is secured in the retension hook.

It's important to know it isn't a "van", it is a bus. Soccer moms drive vans. Dutch drives a bus....and talks about himself in 3rd person....weird one that Dutch is.

UncleMJM
04-12-2010, 07:28
It's been said by someone else before but I treat it like a horseshoe and have the open end up so all the luck doesn't run out. :)

gargoyle
04-12-2010, 07:29
....weird one that Dutch is.

Weird, maybe, but still loved.

Dutch
04-12-2010, 07:32

That's all I have been looking for.

JerryW
04-12-2010, 09:55
It's been said by someone else before but I treat it like a horseshoe and have the open end up so all the luck doesn't run out. :)

+1 on the horseshoe luck!

lazy river road
04-12-2010, 10:11

Completly off topic (sorry) but WOW I just learned why a horse shoe is good luck when point upwards :) just never really thought about it. So with this new development I will be placeing my dutch clips upwards

Hooch
04-12-2010, 10:17

+1 on the horseshoe luck!+2, agreed. :D

Hawk-eye
04-12-2010, 10:21
I need to meet this Dutch ... he's either on a different plane than the rest of us ... or he's got a stash of those herbal cigarettes! :woot:

Ha ... has quite a following of friends this Dutchman ... ;)

I'll go for the lucky doodle thingy and face my clips upwards!

Barefoot Child
04-12-2010, 12:50
Well, based on what I read on this important and most enlightening subject...I have chosen to go the way that Canoebie suggested and have one pointed down so all of whatever can drain out of it (luck, water, sap, or even bird poop), and it will look like either a bird or dragon with it's wings in the down position...hence forth probably about to make a "strike" on the forthcoming upstroke.

And the other dutch-clip I will have the opening up, so that it reminds me of a Lucky horseshoe and will ward off the pain of the strike I am about to receive from the incoming winged warrior.

I will put the horseshoe-like one at my foot end, so that I can always keep focus on the positives, and the down-winged clip at the head end to remind me to always keep in mind, that there may be impending doom for someone out there and I must keep myself ready to go to thier protection if need be. Because it will be located at the head end it will be an intermittent observation, but the foot end will be a constant. :rolleyes:

JohnSawyer
04-12-2010, 12:59

Don't forget Revered... We all aspire to be like Dutch someday...

Now if I can get off my butt, I plan on having the first ever Anodized Dutch Clip... :cool:

Strapped-4-Cache
04-12-2010, 13:21
It's important to know it isn't a "van", it is a bus. Soccer moms drive vans. Dutch drives a bus....

Spoken like a true Type 2 owner. I only wish I could own a '66 21 or 23 window model (with a Raby ACT Type IV Monster in the engine compartment).

Yes, this is on topic, because I could clip my hammock between the front and rear passenger doors on one end, and a tree on the other. Naturally, both clips would face upwards for luck. I need all of it I can get.

- Mark (S-4-C)