PDA

View Full Version : 1st might in the Hudson River Quilt

mbiraman
04-12-2010, 10:16
I was able to get out last night in my new HRTQ. My old down bag is a bit of a monster i made 20 yrs ago. It weighs five pounds so when the HRQ came my first thought was ,"did they send me the Shanendoah??? LOL. On further inspection i saw that it indeed was the HRQ, i just wasn't use to the light weight and high quality down. So i had my WBBB , my Yeti3, and the HRTQ , and a bit of foam in the FB. I was wearing a touque, cotton tee shirt, cotton boxers and smartwool sox. I went to bed around 10:30. I didn't look at the temp but i suspect it was around 40. I was pleasantly surprised when i got in and immediately felt very warm with the HRQ. I was so warm in fact i had to vent several times over the next 1 1/2 hrs. I was very toasty warm. Temps got down to about 33 degrees and i was still warm. I felt the odd cool spot once and a while as my leg might lean into an uninsulated part of the WBBB but no big deal. All in all i'm very happy with the HRQ. The Jacks make great stuff with high quality materials and their shipping time was fast. The only real problem i have with the HRQ is that now i want to buy more of their stuff.
I wore the bare essentials in the way of clothes so adding some merino wool and fleece to the equation should get me into the twenties. Thanks Jack and Jack

Peter_pan
04-12-2010, 15:16
I was able to get out last night in my new HRTQ. My old down bag is a bit of a monster i made 20 yrs ago. It weighs five pounds so when the HRQ came my first thought was ,"did they send me the Shanendoah??? LOL. On further inspection i saw that it indeed was the HRQ, i just wasn't use to the light weight and high quality down. So i had my WBBB , my Yeti3, and the HRTQ , and a bit of foam in the FB. I was wearing a touque, cotton tee shirt, cotton boxers and smartwool sox. I went to bed around 10:30. I didn't look at the temp but i suspect it was around 40. I was pleasantly surprised when i got in and immediately felt very warm with the HRQ. I was so warm in fact i had to vent several times over the next 1 1/2 hrs. I was very toasty warm. Temps got down to about 33 degrees and i was still warm. I felt the odd cool spot once and a while as my leg might lean into an uninsulated part of the WBBB but no big deal. All in all i'm very happy with the HRQ. The Jacks make great stuff with high quality materials and their shipping time was fast. The only real problem i have with the HRQ is that now i want to buy more of their stuff.
I wore the bare essentials in the way of clothes so adding some merino wool and fleece to the equation should get me into the twenties. Thanks Jack and Jack

Mbiraman,

Thanks for the good words... That HR quilt will easily go 10* or more lower...Best cure for the cool sides to legs is a full length UQ...Minor issues at 33* become significant at much cooler temps...o get a pad wide enough to wrap up the sides of the legs too.

Pan

G.L.P.
04-13-2010, 07:14
:D i had mine down that far and was nice and warm....

wisenber
04-13-2010, 10:00
Mbiraman,

Thanks for the good words... That HR quilt will easily go 10* or more lower...Best cure for the cool sides to legs is a full length UQ...Minor issues at 33* become significant at much cooler temps...o get a pad wide enough to wrap up the sides of the legs too.

Pan

I don't have a HR, but I do have a NS. I don't know that I'd want to try 10 ° F without a LOT of extra clothes. Now my Old Rag Mtn will go colder than that. YMMV

Still, it's great gear and you'd have a hard time getting me to part with it.

mbiraman
04-13-2010, 14:04
I don't have a HR, but I do have a NS. I don't know that I'd want to try 10 ° F without a LOT of extra clothes. Now my Old Rag Mtn will go colder than that. YMMV

Still, it's great gear and you'd have a hard time getting me to part with it.

Pan wasn't talking about 10 F, he was saying 10 degrees colder than what i had mentioned which was 33F. BTW how did you make the degree sign in your post??

lori
04-13-2010, 14:37
Last November I did a quick pre-snowstorm overnight to a high elevation pass on a whim. I was beginning to get not-warm (not cold, just not warm) in the low 20F range with my HR. We woke to ice on the lake and frozen trail dirt - so it was sustained lows, too. Shook frozen condensation off the outer shell of the underquilt that I know was from me - clear skies all night.

And my companion in his down mummy bag sleeping under his poncho tarp wore all his clothing layers - I was in an expedition weight base layer and a balaclava, with two pairs of socks, with an HR on top and an HR under the hammock.

Really nice to have three season gear this solid. :)