PDA

View Full Version : EGL Fall 2022 - EGL HEADS NORTH TO TEMAGAMI!!!

Chard
08-07-2022, 19:15
EGL HEADS NORTH TO TEMAGAMI!!!

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/keewaykeno_193208.jpg

Keewaykeno's been championing this trip for a while, so maybe it's best that I just quote him here verbatim.

We've tossed around a Temagami trip for a while so let's give it a shot this year, assuming the world doesn't go completely to hell in the interim. Setting dates early will give help those who need to plan far ahead to set the time aside.

The Friends of Temagami folks suggested the last week of September is optimal for fewer people, no bugs, great fishing and good chance of decent weather.

I'm proposing six nights from Tuesday Sept. 27 through Monday October 3. This provides a longer trip for those who can get away but also a shorter weekend opportunity for "marshmallows".
My research suggests a good access point with decent roads is the Sportsman's Lodge where there is secure parking for a nominal fee. I will correspond with the owner for details once I have a sense of how many are interested to ensure he can accommodate the numbers.

Our destination will be Donald Lake, only two short (295 m. and 860 m.) portages. Map below.

For those who follow him in YouTube this was Jon's (then 'Backcountry Angler' now 'Lost Lakes') favourite lake before he moved north of Superior. The North end is said to be reminiscent of Killarney, with good sites and fishing with several day-tripping opportunities. This lake is within the non-operating Chiniguchi Waterway Provincial Park ... so no permits required. That's right Highboy, FREE (except for the mortgage you'll need for the gas to get there).

OK, so who's interested (and actually may be able to go)? Not talking commitment, just want to get a rough idea of numbers. I'll give it a week before I reach out to the Sportsman's Lodge.

Cheers,

KeeWayKeno

So there you have it! Temagami this fall!

I'm pumped! Any other takers?

KeeWayKeno
08-07-2022, 19:51
Even though you made me look too old to get "pumped" about much more than a hit of Geritol & a nap, of course I'm in.

Chard
08-07-2022, 20:44
Even though you made me look too old to get "pumped" about much more than a hit of Geritol & a nap, of course I'm in.

What're you talking about? That's a great shot! Like Ernest Hemingway in a Tilly!

76 highboy
08-08-2022, 08:27
FREE FREE FREE !!!
And thats what it should cost to camp in this gigantic, beautiful country.
As for the mortgage for gas,the fees I would have had to pay to camp in temagami proper will cover my fuel.
A relatively cheap trip really. Plus the company is worth it. :)
Cant wait for this one.

Bubba
08-08-2022, 08:48
Interested in marshmallowing it up. Hopefully I can go for 2 or 3 nights. Getting close to a year since I've canoed with my EGL friends and really hoping to see you lollygaggers and get out on the water.

Dale
08-08-2022, 13:25
Please count me in. I'm not sure if I can do all 7 nights but probably 5 nights. I've been to Donald Lake once before and can attest it is a beautiful area.

Dale

Cruiser51
08-08-2022, 17:37
This trip is on my bucket list, I hope you guys have a really great time and decide to go back next year, so I can join you.

Brian

theyland
08-08-2022, 17:47
I’ll see you all there. I’ll be up on the Friday, leaving Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale
08-15-2022, 11:07
Please count me in. I'm not sure if I can do all 7 nights but probably 5 nights. I've been to Donald Lake once before and can attest it is a beautiful area.

Dale

Looks like I'm only going to be able to do 3 nights. I forgot my dad's 90th birthday is on the Saturday so it looks like I will be paddling out on the Friday. Oh well, I will take what I can get.

Dale

BoundryWaters
08-16-2022, 10:43
BoundryWaters is IN for this one...

KeeWayKeno
08-16-2022, 15:19
FREE FREE FREE !!!
And thats what it should cost to camp in this gigantic, beautiful country.

Well, sorry, but not quite ... Sportsman's Lodge is asking for $15 per night for parking.

Lofty
08-22-2022, 12:46
I currently have the weekend off and really need to get out camping -
I'm tentatively in for Friday to Monday
Lofty

AussieShep
08-22-2022, 15:09
Sounds delightful but I'm in the French River on that date.

Off topic but I've been on this site for around a year and can't figure to post a new message. I can only reply to existing threads. I can't find a button to post a message and have emailed the moderator but received no reply. I've checked this site from Chrome and Edge and no posting button. Somehow I feel like the answer is staring me in the face but, for the life of me, I can't figure it out. Can someone help?

LuvmyBonnet
08-23-2022, 12:36
I'd like to be in for this. I can't do Tues-Mon due to work. I can do Mon-Sun or Tues - Sunday. I'd prefer not to be paddling new waters solo.
As usuall I can use some help with a point of location of the parking for my GPS.
Hope to see ya'll soon.

theyland
08-24-2022, 17:05
Sounds delightful but I'm in the French River on that date.

Off topic but I've been on this site for around a year and can't figure to post a new message. I can only reply to existing threads. I can't find a button to post a message and have emailed the moderator but received no reply. I've checked this site from Chrome and Edge and no posting button. Somehow I feel like the answer is staring me in the face but, for the life of me, I can't figure it out. Can someone help?

On the tapatalk app it’s in the bottom rh corner. Its a round, orange icon with a few horizontal lines and a plus sign. I tried to upload a screen shot but got errors.

theyland
08-24-2022, 17:12
I'd like to be in for this. I can't do Tues-Mon due to work. I can do Mon-Sun or Tues - Sunday. I'd prefer not to be paddling new waters solo.
As usuall I can use some help with a point of location of the parking for my GPS.
Hope to see ya'll soon.

Parking is at Sportsman’s Lodge Wilderness Resort on in Klondike Bay of Kukagamki Lake. Sorry, tried to get long and lat but big thumbs.

Brantwing
08-28-2022, 20:04
Ok, I think I already indicated to you I’m in but let’s make it official. By the way when did 840 m become a short portage……

LuvmyBonnet
08-29-2022, 13:42
By the way when did 840 m become a short portage……

After doing McIntosh portage!!! :lol:

KeeWayKeno
09-03-2022, 08:35
Maps:
First is a closeup of our parking / launch site at Sportsmans Lodge. To recap, parking at the lodge is $15 nightly. Latitude and longitude show at the bottom of that screen. For car GPS / Google maps, directions to the lodge on Kukagami Lake are easily found.

2nd and 3rd maps (overlapping) show our route from Sportsmans Lodge to Donald Lake. Approximately 10.7 km to get into Donald, with only one mandatory portage, 840m. The other two ports can be paddled around.

Sorry I can't figure out how to share this map digitally.

From Brampton, with stops, I guesstimate a 7+ hour drive. Seriously considering heading up the day before and either sleep in the car or camp somewhere. Rather start fresh than exhausted.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220903/4a9caeb6341226b04457427f07b3d4de.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220903/ccb7b6e8c0fab4f384bad939f5c88451.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220903/3b61c0270dffc9b92bf292da4c6eb5ca.jpg

theyland
09-06-2022, 18:40
KeewayKeeno, do you have insider info in the route? Google says drive time is 4-5 hours on the Friday arriving at noon. I’m planning on 6 hours but don’t want to be surprised. Is google overestimating the speed on rural northern roads?

Thanks

76 highboy
09-06-2022, 20:23
Google says its 5 hrs 36 mins from my new digs in Port Colborne.
I dont buy that for a second. Maybe 7 hrs if I was lucky.
I will be leaving the day before and camp somewhere close to the put in. Like KWK said,better to start fresh than arrive at the put -in burnt out and tired already.

KeeWayKeno
09-07-2022, 09:34
Very strange ... when I plotted the route originally (Google Maps) it estimated close to 7 hours driving time. Wasn't surprised since North Bay usually clocks in around 6 hours for me.

Today, the same route shows as just shy of 5 hours. Traffic or construction impacted the estimate previously? Who knows. I find my car GPS is usually much more accurate in its estimated ETA.

Cruiser51
09-07-2022, 12:03
KWK ... if you used Google for the distance, it factors construction, ToD, speed allowance (most ppl don't go the speed limit), and likely traffic. So times will vary a lot, best option is to do the distance around the time and day you plan to travel.

KeeWayKeno
09-08-2022, 06:46
Ok, so I'm a dinosaur.
Speaking of which, isn't that Richard's car in the parking lot?
(Ah, sweet revenge.)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220908/5ba5662e234ef74ef644f86be602fb8a.jpg

Lofty
09-08-2022, 09:45
Planning to be at sportsman parking Friday about 10-11 am.
If anyone else is going in Friday let me know.

Lofty

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

theyland
09-09-2022, 20:30
Planning to be at sportsman parking Friday about 10-11 am.
If anyone else is going in Friday let me know.

Lofty

Lofty, Mark and I are going in on Friday but we likely won’t be there til at least noon, maybe 1pm. Don’t wait for us unless you want to. Let me know.

Lofty
09-10-2022, 07:24
Lofty, Mark and I are going in on Friday but we likely won’t be there til at least noon, maybe 1pm. Don’t wait for us unless you want to. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'll leave home a little later and meet you guys at the launch.

Chard
09-12-2022, 13:50
Only had to pay a nickel a day for parking too, and we used to consider that parking lot crowded. Those were the days!

Chard
09-13-2022, 19:25
Hey all,

I can't believe how fast the summer went, but we're two weeks out and I was hoping if we could get a roll-call of everyone coming and when.

I was talking with Jim at the Sportsman Lodge and he mentioned that he has a large "retreat" around the same time. It'd be helpful if he had a better idea of our numbers. BTW, I believe that the parking fee is $10/day with an additional $10 boat launch fee (yes, that includes canoes).

If we do decide to do a group meal, it might make more sense to do it on the weekend after more folks have arrived. I can bring my pot, but maybe the marshmallows can bring the ingredients?

https://sportsmanslodge.net/Portals/12/EasyGalleryImages/20/551/817resz.JPG

https://sportsmanslodge.net/Portals/12/EasyGalleryImages/20/551/acc5_G.jpg

https://sportsmanslodge.net/Portals/12/EasyGalleryImages/20/551/IMG_0434resz.jpg
Source: https://sportsmanslodge.net

Bubba
09-14-2022, 06:12
I’m planning on pushing off Thursday around lunchtime. Planning to stay 3 nights. I can bring part of whatever is needed for a group meal.

Lofty
09-14-2022, 11:53
I'm going in Friday Sept 30 and out Monday.
Lofty

BoundryWaters
09-14-2022, 15:32
I'll arrive on Tuesday and leave on Sunday. I can bring something (non perishable) for a group meal, no problem. Just need to know what and how much.

KeeWayKeno
09-14-2022, 18:58
I'm Tuesday to Sunday. Happy to help carry extra grub for a group meal as needed.

Iguana
09-14-2022, 21:43
Really bummed out, I am not going to be able to make this one. I was not sure if I was going to be able to get away or not, now it is confirmed. I will be with you guys in spirit!

keg
09-14-2022, 23:10
Not able to make it either. Hope to get a quick trip in on the long weekend.

Enjoy.

Chard
09-15-2022, 09:06
Overnighting somewhere en route Monday, pushing off Tuesday morning and returning the following Sunday or Monday.

76 highboy
09-15-2022, 10:42
Overnighting somewhere en route Monday, pushing off Tuesday morning and returning the following Sunday or Monday.

Ya, exactly what he said.
Those of us going up early could try to meet up in a suitable (free) location to spend monday night.

Brantwing
09-16-2022, 07:28
I am in for the 7 days. Is there a meeting time?
Might be up there on the Monday, less chance of driving issues during the early morning hours.

theyland
09-16-2022, 20:08
I’m driving up with Mark (sorry, don’t know his handle) Friday morning. Planning on being at the launch for noon. Leaving Monday. I’ll camp with the group Friday night and Sunday night. Will spend Saturday night on my own, or with anyone that wants to come with me.

I’m not much of a cook and I’ll be travelling light so don’t worry about me for any group meal. I’ll fend for myself.

theyland
09-16-2022, 20:13
Do we have a particular spot on Donald Lake in mind? Or are we winging it?

I’m allowing 6 hours for travel by car and 6 hours for travel by canoe so if I leave home at 6am I could be pushing sundown by the time we make it to Donald.

Does anyone want to share their Garmin id?

LuvmyBonnet
09-17-2022, 20:06
Tuesday to Sunday!

76 highboy
09-19-2022, 14:39
Soooo, group meal. What do we want for options ?

Chowda,french canadian pea, chile, goulash.
Thoughts.

Dale
09-21-2022, 07:49
Having to cancel my plans to attend, life has gotten in the way unfortunately. Hoping to meet up with you all again if you plan something next year.

Dale

LuvmyBonnet
09-21-2022, 12:38
There is a possibilty that I mightt not be able to make it. Family stuff.

76 highboy
09-21-2022, 14:24
I'm thinking about staying at the Sportman's on Monday. Anyone interested?

How much $ ?

Camping or "indoors" ?

Chard
09-21-2022, 14:32
I'm thinking about staying at the Sportman's on Monday. Anyone interested?

Monday Night? I was hoping to car-camp in the parking lot of the Sportsman's Lodge if trees aren't available (and maybe even if they are).

Tuesday Launch time? For Tuesday morning, does aiming for a 10am push off work for everybody? Earlier/later?

Where we're camping? Without seeing the lake (and not finishing Lost Lakes' videos) I was thinking the campsite on the eastern shore near the middle of the lake would give us the best sunsets. Failing that, some of the northern sites look interesting.

Group meal? I'm game for whatever. If one of the weekenders wants to take the lead, pick a dish and get the ingredients for a Friday or Saturday meal, that'd be great. I'll bring the pot and we can all bring in our own potatoes if that's what the recipe calls for.

76 highboy
09-21-2022, 15:09
I was thinking Jackson lake on the kukagami lake road. 10 minutes from the put in.
The east side of Donald looks great.

KeeWayKeno
09-22-2022, 10:46
10 am Tuesday meetup works for me. My plans have changed so I'll overnight Monday in the immediate area too. If there's good parking at Jackson Lake that sounds interesting, otherwise it's the lot at Sportsmans Lodge for me too.

The East shore of Donald looks a good starting point, and there are two sites directly across for overflow if needed. I'll send a message to LOFTY and THEYLAND's InReach showing the site we settle on for the 'mallows.

Group meal? I'm up for whatever ... but the famous EGL Pea Soup is always a fan favourite on a chilly evening by the fire! Beyond split peas and smoked hamhocks, can't recall what else we need ... ?

Lofty
09-22-2022, 12:15
I'll have my inreach and think I'm paddling in with Theyland and mark( at least the plan is )

Let me know what I can bring in Friday for group meal or I can meet one if you guys Sunday if you have the ingredients and I can keep it safe and bring it in

Chard
09-22-2022, 18:57
This recipe (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/234017/canadian-yellow-split-pea-soup-with-ham/) looks about right for French Canadian pea soup. It calls for 4 cups of water, but I'd easily double the recipe for a bunch of hungry hangers.

I always try to find a proper ham hock, the smoked and cured kind you can find at a farmers' market, Toronto's St. Lawrence Market or a good butcher. Double smoked bacon is a passable substitute. The hock really makes the soup something special.

Everything you wanted to know about ham hocks and pork hocks but were afraid to ask can be found here (https://foodsguy.com/pork-hock-vs-ham-hock/).

KeeWayKeno
09-22-2022, 19:21
Ok, I'll bring the split peas if a few others earlybirds could bring the spices.

Best leave the "fresh" ingredients for the weekenders eh? I recall we had a spoiled hamhock once before but discovered double smoked bacon was a perfectly acceptable substitute, as evidenced by the ladle scraping the bottom of a sad, empty cauldron.

A few loaves of fresh crusty bread for dipping is a nice bonus if anybody lives near a decent bakery.

BoundryWaters
09-23-2022, 09:30
I think I'll head in Monday already. Shooting for the site on the Eastern shore then and make sure to keep the Grizzlies at bay until the reinforcements, eh I mean marshmallows arrive. Won't have any spices, but planning on having a few brews available for the weary travelers. Nothing better than a warm beer on a cold and soggy afternoon...

LuvmyBonnet
09-23-2022, 13:42
Looks like I'm back in. Fingers crossed.

theyland
09-23-2022, 16:25
Re: bread for dipping, would bannock work? I was planning on camping on another lake on Saturday night but ham and pea soup might be hard to pass up. I can’t promise great bannock but it’s pretty much the only decent thing I could contribute.

I would skip the raisins and cinnamon. Anyone got ideas of other things to add that would go well with peas and ham?

Bubba
09-24-2022, 09:56
Do we just show up at the Sportsman’s lodge and go in and pay for parking and push off? Or do we need to call ahead and make arrangements?

Chard
09-24-2022, 12:13
Hocks purchased.

Chard
09-24-2022, 13:24
Re: bread for dipping, would bannock work? I was planning on camping on another lake on Saturday night but ham and pea soup might be hard to pass up. I can’t promise great bannock but it’s pretty much the only decent thing I could contribute.

I would skip the raisins and cinnamon. Anyone got ideas of other things to add that would go well with peas and ham?

It might cause a few voyagers to roll over in their graves but I'd rather a nice bagette or two.

I'm putting together a FCPS meal package for Lofty to bring up. It'll have all of the ingredients for the soup, hocks peas, spices and veg for the mirepoix. I can take out however many peas Keewaykeno's bringing in.

Bread would be a nice addition.

KeeWayKeno
09-24-2022, 15:48
Don't listen to Chard ... bannock would be great!

Also just fyi ... luvmybonnet & I scored a room at the lodge Monday night. Might be worthwhile for anybody else wanting to "ease into" the trip. Just imagine ... hot shower Tuesday morning! Or ... waking up (if you slept) in your car.

Chard
09-24-2022, 17:11
LOL. Of course Keewaykeno's right: bannock would definitely go nicely with the soup. It'd be nice to campfire the entire meal.

Chard
09-25-2022, 10:09
Hi gang,

I just spoke with Jim at the Sportsman's Lodge about parking. The cost is $10/night plus an additional $10 launch fee. There's a corporate retreat happening during the week so parkings going to be a little more complicated that normal.

Once you arrive on site, head over to the office during the day (say 8am - 6/7pm) and ask for Jim. If nobody's there, wander around a bit and ask for him. Mention that you're with the Donald Lake crew (Richard/Jamie/Chris) and tell him which day you're planning to leave as he might try to get us to park together and maybe even double park as required. I'm out on Sunday, as I think many of us are.

See you out there.

Brantwing
09-25-2022, 10:37
I’ll check in on Monday around 6pm, bringing heirloom carrots for the soup and will check out biscuit mix as Keewaykeno was pretty good baking last trip.

76 highboy
09-25-2022, 14:22
I just snagged a room at the lodge. YES!!
Very busy for said corporate weekend ,so no restaurant service.
Better than sleeping on the side of the road.
Aiming for 430 pm arrival.

Jiblets
09-26-2022, 06:39
I'm in. I'll be driving in early Tuesday for the 10 am departure, and will leave a day early on Saturday.

I have most of the ingredients for the seafood chowder I made last time (Freeze dried shrimp, scallops, mussels haddock &/or cod, and cream of mushroom soup. Some peas, carrots and onions should be finished this afternoon/evening.

Chard tells me that the Pea soup should probably be made on Friday to keep the ham hock fresh, so we'd have to make this before the weekend as I'm leaving Saturday morning - sorry Weekenders. Let me know if you are interested and bring a potato or two to throw in pot.

quiet
09-26-2022, 08:51
I'm interested.

theyland
10-04-2022, 14:41
Is anyone missing a knife? I found it on our site on Sunday after everyone left [emoji22].

Lofty
10-05-2022, 08:46
Is it a green mora ?

theyland
10-05-2022, 09:54
Is it a green mora ?

Yup. Will you be at Valens on Nov 12/13? I can bring it then. Or we can arrange another meet up. I’m in Guelph. Message me directly. I believe you have my cell nbr.